When will we get a good film about Napoleon?

When will we get a good film about Napoleon?

>tfw Kubrick died before creating his ultimate masterpiece

Other urls found in this thread:

hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cary-fukunaga-talks-direct-hbo-895382
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Charge_of_the_Light_Brigade_(1968_film)
imdb.com/title/tt0065969/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1612_(film)
youtube.com/watch?v=6504eRh5h6M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Film
>Not TV Series

There's a decent French TV show

Not a film but a miniseries I think is being developed by HBO

Reminder that Napoleon

>Destroyed the First Reich
>Abolished discriminatory anti-Jewish laws in Poland and Spain
>Was one of History's first Zionists who wanted to establish a new homeland for the Jewish people
>Wanted to recreate the Polish state from German lands
>Abolished black slavery in his conquered territories
>Was opposed to the Catholic Church and the Pope

YET he is worshipped by Sup Forums and Sup Forums. Strange

Well, Sup Forums seems to support Trump too, who is also an advocate Zionist...

>Wanted to recreate the Polish state from German lands
He probably just wanted to set another asshole relative of his up with a kingdom.

I believe before his death Napoleon is quote as having said that the emancipation of the Jews was a mistake.

There already is one you massive rostbif

This could be good if they keep it short, like Rome or Band of Brothers

Fake

Kubrick didn't die before making Napoleon. He abandoned the project.

But I want to see Napoleon in his prime, not his pathetic 100 days

>>Abolished discriminatory anti-Jewish laws in Poland and Spain
Still no jews in Spain.

Napoleon.1927.720p.BluRay.x264-USURY

Going to watch this after I watch the Hollow Crown, which is reportedly shit.

>gance will never complete his series
Just kill me now senpai

He also liberated the slovenes and croats from a german monarchical regime only to set up a very liberal and progressive governerial system, which supported slavic nationalism.

Did they get winston churchill to play him?

Britain abolished slave trade before anybody else and spent billions on fighting it, yet that doesn't win the a shred of thanks from blacks. Despite the majority of the trade being done via Portugal, Spain and France... Britain gets fucked.

Then again, maybe the world realises that UK abolished slavery as they were aware it was financially bad to have slaves. Who knows.

>wants a film about Napoleon
>he is somehow British

W E W
E
W

No, he wasn't. Also, fun fact, Napoleon wanted to invade the USA. Fun Fact No.2; France bankrupted itself funding the USA proxy war with Britain because it wanted USA separate and hoped they'd be given clay and eventually planned for the complete invasion of it and using it as a base to invade Canada.

This didn't happen because La Revolutezzion. But Napoleon did want to invade USA.

Napoleon (2002), ma famille-lam.

>hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cary-fukunaga-talks-direct-hbo-895382

This

So him getting BTFO in Russia?

Or do you mean beating literally who fucking nations?

Or him being BTFO in Spain by Dago guerrillas and Brits? Especially by Wellington who never lost a battle?

>Napoleon wanted to invade the USA
Then why did he into Louisiana Purchase? Was it a cunning ruse?

go to bed Lindy

Napoleon also shot thousands of Turkish prisoners outside of Acre (?) but he gets a pass (as does Wellesley at Badajoz), yet everyone shits on Cromwell because he stormed a few towns in Ireland.

I made one mistake in my life I should've burned Berlin.

Why are the british underclass always so vile and agressive?

>establish a new homeland for the Jewish people, far away from europe
>lure all the jews there
>no jews left in your own country
Sounds like a perfect plan

>Hapsburg's
>"Literally who"

wuuuuut

I guess you have never read a history book.

Post-medieval Anti-semites usually try to keep Jews locked up in their own borders, not export them. Usually because they still need Jews to keep scapegoating.

Tsarist Russians and Commonwealth Poles had very strict travel restrictions on Jews for instance.

Kubrick's Napoleon would have been shit, that's why he never made it.

Read the guy's script, it's pure trash.

>anglos are still taught the wellington myth

perfidious anglos

You can't. It's simply impossible. A film can't do Napoleon any justice because you have to depict more than 20 years of his life and accomplishments. Not to many all the personalities that surrounded him, his enemies (Austrian, Prussian, Spanish, Portuguese, British, Russian, Italian, etc.), and the POVs of the common people that lived under his rule or affected by his policies.

Even a TV series would be difficult because it has to be in the hands of god-tier writers and directors backed with a huge budget that will ensure to do practical effects whenever possible (no green screening troops), a cast that can fully grasp the complexities of Napoleon, his marshals, Josephine, Napoleon's family members, Metternich, Tsar Alexander, Wellington, his mistresses, Marie Louise, and so many others.

Lost the battle won the war mate.

Historical epics are dead. They peaked in the 1950s/60s and saw a brief revival in the early 2000s due to 9/11 and the success of Gladiator, but are dead and buried now because ONLY Disney/capeshit rules the day

We have to liberate the world from all the anglo filth.

EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, WHAT?!

It already exists, and it just came out restored with 5.5 hours of footage.

Hopefully they don't have any sex scenes for no reason.

>BTFO
And it only took seven seperate coalitions to achieve

I'm a Sephardic Jew in Spain fight me faggot

literally 90 years ago

No, no lo eres

I suppose this is true, but the time period gets far less attention than it deserves in general. It would be nice to see a series or film set in it soon

Britain didn't have slaves, they just had unwilling Indian workers instead

Speaking as an avid Napoleonic Wars fan, the Peninsular War was a sideshow that helped bleed and weaken Napoleon. He even admitted the Spanish Ulcer drained him of soldiers and money that he could've used elsewhere. He foolishly deprived France of a pliable ally/vassal and bogged down in his own Vietnam.

That's not the only atrocities that can be linked to Napoleon. The war crimes committed in Spain and Portugal were caused by his invasion and his occupation. He also allowed Haiti to be reconquered, which caused untold destruction and bloodshed.

The Russian campaign would actually be glorious to see. It's seeing War & Peace unfold. The Fire of Moscow alone would be worth seeing.

That mini-series was garbage. It barely touched the surface of the man and his life. It was so condensed and ham-fisted that I was deeply disappointed.

Napoleon knew that there wasn't a snow ball's chance in hell he could successfully invade the US. Trying to ferry his troops over would be a logistical nightmare. Haiti was easier because none of the Western nations opposed French reconquest of St. Dominique (what Haiti was called at the time). 1/3 of an island is WAY different than a large landmass like the US.

Keep in mind, even the fledgling US Navy and their super-frigates gave the Royal Navy a bloody nose. His ships and captains wouldn't fare very well.

I would kill to see French Illyria because it's the least known of Napoleonic possessions in Europe.

This indeed is the standard in which a Napoleonic adaptation NEEDS to adhere. It's the only film that accurately portrays the way warfare was conducted.

Waterloo
>tfw they'll never make movies like that anymore and just CGI everything

Exactly. No one nation can claim they defeated Napoleon on their own. Even the British admit that their primary role was its Navy blockading France and raiding any of its ships, supplying gold and weapons to the Allies, and tying down as much French troops as they could in the Iberian peninsula.

It took the combined might of Russia, Austria, Prussia, AND Britain to defeat Napoleon and his Grande Armee. And it took them over a decade to do it.

I'm pretty sure that project is dead.

Because nobody in Hollywood gives a fuck since the US doesn't play any significant role besides Napoleon's brother marrying an American woman.

I agree this time period DESERVES a proper adaptation, but you need massive funding. I'm talking the kind of money that these profitable blockbusters have. You have to pay for costuming, location, all those extras dressed and marching as soldiers. Not to mention the type of cinematography and lighting to truly capture that era. I'm talking about Barry Lyndon or The Duellists; something VERY few people can do nowadays.

It's really sad because there's so many historical events that would be amazing to see in TV or film.

>due to 9/11

wat

>I would kill to see French Illyria

what do you mean by this and would this killing possibly involve a spanish shepardic jew?

I wish Napoleon had won.

9/11 made a brief interest in Americans with history and military films

Fucking manlet.

>extras dressed and marching as soldiers

what do you think this is, the 70's?

It better include his campaign to Egypt

I mean, I would actually like to see an episode or two that depicts French policy in Illyria during that period. Not to mention the Duchy of Warsaw and the other satellites. That brief spark of occupation actually contributed to the growth of nationalism there, which would lead far into the future with the Balkan Wars and eventually the Great War.

>tfw no HBO Napoleon series like ROME

Who were the names attached? I was sure thre was someone of worth involved

We all do.
t. angloboo
>tfw they chain you like prometheus to a rock where the memory of your own greatness gnaws you

>contributed to the growth of nationalism there, which would lead far into the future with the Balkan Wars and eventually the Great War.

it's not quite like that, it's ahh... more complicated

I wish it was. It's the only proper way to depict Napoleonic warfare in its scale and depth.

THIS

So many people gloss over the Egyptian campaign. It was technically his 1st major reversal and he abandoned his troops (just like in Russia) to return to France.

I'd also like an episode to address the Vendee revolts. Even Napoleon wasn't involved in its suppression, the aftereffects made it so that region never fully accepted Republican and later Imperial control.

I know, but it did lay the seeds of a long process throughout the 19th century. The French Revolution and Napoleon sparked nationalism on a grade scale in Europe in which it had never seen before.

I read that the reason there has never been a big Houdini movie is because every studio has a great script and don't want to compete with other studios. Maybe the same is true for napoleon.

When will they learn?

>there will never be a movie about the Crimean War
>there will never be a movie about the 30 years war
>there will never be a movie about the polish occupation off Russia

there are movies about all those events

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Charge_of_the_Light_Brigade_(1968_film)

imdb.com/title/tt0065969/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1612_(film)

>Abolished black slavery in his conquered territories
and yet he bought slaves to fight for him in Russia

>hes still buying the english propaganda
People like Charles XIV John of Sweden who described him as short was tall even for our time

>shoots the nose off the sphinx
Literally worse than those rednecks tipping over rocks.

He was 5'6. Wellington was 5'7. This was considered average height for the times.

He never did that. Sketches of the Sphinx before Napoleon's invasion of Egypt show that the nose was already gone.

It was done by a dirty mudslime

who cares about dead slavs

dream on, it will have:
- we wuz kangs
- stronk womyn who need no man
- random edgyness, sex and degeneracy just for the sake of it

>film
>napoleon
>kubrick
le reddit army is here

>he thinks Sup Forums and Sup Forums actually have opinions of their own and aren't just millennials wanting to feel different to their peers

Spain as well.

>Napoleon is "reddit"

Okay, friend

keep your non-capeshit off my board faggot

You could not possibly comprehend how much I want to see this on the big screen.

youtube.com/watch?v=6504eRh5h6M