Is Spielberg overrated?

?

He's good at blockbusters but that's it. He's not on the same level as my kubrick, herzog, Bergman, Fellini, tarkovsky, Hitchcock, etc.

no, he has always been a particularly divisive director.

he's better than tarantino

>not on the same level
>lists a bunch of overrated hacks

You are right, he is above them.

Let me guess, you like Snyder and capeshit too

No, he is underrated. He has produced some of the most well-rounded and culturally significant movies of all time. If "art" is about the culture that embraces/sees value in it, Steven Spielberg is undoubtedly the greatest (not even to mention other aspects, such as advancements in special effects, etc). Consider this: Spielberg has had the "highest grossing film ever" title 4 times (more than anybody else) and is also the highest grossing director ever.

No, he is a limited filmmaker, but the best at ehat he does. Everything he makes are exceptional entertainment. The graph of speeilberg appreciation is a U with patrician level along the bottom and appreciation on the y axis. Once you have seen a lot of films, you can appreciate why he is so influential/important.

Box office doesn't equal quality, I guess James Cameron is the greatest director ever because titanic and avatar are number 1 all time in gross

How can they be overrated if they are unknown to the majority of the public unlike Spielberg?

Titanic is undeniably a very well-made movie with a lot of cultural significance. As are Cameran's other works, such as Terminator and Aliens. The debate on Avatar is potentially another thing entirely.

He furthered advancement my ass. Even George Lucas has done more to innovate sfx than Spielberg and by the way, he was the first director to buy the intellectual property to one of his films, which revolutionized the movies from a commercial standpoint as well.

Spielberg is a good director, with some bland films and some remarkable ones, but he is no genius like say Renoir, Griffith or some other director of early cinema.

>Even George Lucas has done more to innovate sfx than Spielberg and by the way
George Lucas is the biggest innovators of modern special effects, so that's not really saying much. Lucas helped Spielberg vastly with the use of his companies that worked on physical and computer effects.

>but he is no genius
Again, that is for the people to decide.

>Jaws
>Indiana Jones trilogy
>Close Encounters
>E.T
>Jurassic Park
>Saving Private Ryan
>Catch Me If You Can
>Minority Report
To name but a few.
He may have flaws, he may have made some shit films, but he is no hack

Could you give me 3 good Spielkike movies ?

Even the worst capeshit is better than his best movie.

Yes but there is something warm and comfy about his films that many other directors don't have. 10/10 family entertainment

>He has produced some of the most well-rounded and culturally significant movies of all time.

He's a jew and has always been hyped by his synagogue friends.

What's next ? Jesse Eisenberg is the greatest actor of all time ?

Fucking goyim, when will they learn ?

Also, I'm sure this guy is a pedo.

>it's for the people to decide

What the fuck are you even talking about. It's a discussion board either voice your opinion on the man's merits or fuck off.

>Saving Private Ryan
The word "hack" is thrown around so much I don't even know when to use it anymore but just for reference watch the beach landing scene. When I first saw it it as a kid it was epic and all but watching it now I can't help but see a lot of stuff seems to have a comedic tone to it

>medic successfully stops the bleeding, guy is then shot dead
>guy takes a shot to his helmet & survives, takes it off in shock and gets shot in the head
>tom hanks leans over to talk to his radio guy once, twice and on the third time his face is missing

There's probably more but those parts seemed to clash with the horror moments of guys with their guts hanging out crying for their mothers in a way that if it was directed exactly the same way by Michael Bay or Snyder would be used to prove that the guy can't handle serious subject matter.

Speilberg definitely loves physical comedy. Like in Gremlins with the scene where the automatic stairway chair device malfunctions. The whole movie in general kind of shows he has a bit of a dark sense of humor

It's fair and and noticeable where he overreaches.

jaws
raiders
close encounters

>>medic successfully stops the bleeding, guy is then shot dead
>>guy takes a shot to his helmet & survives, takes it off in shock and gets shot in the head
>>tom hanks leans over to talk to his radio guy once, twice and on the third time his face is missing
Shows the madness of war