Why is the Vietnam war portrayed as fun by Hollywood? Wasn't it actually kind of brutal and hellish

Why is the Vietnam war portrayed as fun by Hollywood? Wasn't it actually kind of brutal and hellish

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/179998320
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quasi-War
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typographical_error
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

IT AINT ME

IT AINT ME! I AIN'T NO FORTUNATE ONE NO

You mean like is portrayed in Platoon, Apocalypse Now, Gardens of Stone, Born on the Fourth of July, Forrest Gump, Good Morning Vietnam, Rambo, The Deer Hunter?

I wonder. But I don't care, I always had so many laughs with those movies.

SUM FOLKS ARE BAWN
MAAAAADE TO WAVE DA FLEEEAG
OOOOH THE RED WHA N' BLOOOO

>portrayed as fun
By who? Certainly not me.

Always makes me chuckle remembering when Americans got BTFO by a few rice farmers

T O P
P O S T

It gets funnier when you realise the only war America has won by itself was against itself

It gets even funnier still when you realise they spend trillions on an innefficent army instead of healthcare and education

Now to finish off your sides for good look up millennium challenge 2002

>the only war America has won by itself was against itself
How many major wars were a 1v1 thing? Do you think history is some call of duty shit flinging thing or something? Fucking eejit.

>Why are movies made to be enjoyable?

I don't know, user. It's almost as if they are a business.

The quintessential "war is hell" movie is about the Vietnam war though.

Before Americunts decided to bully on some rice farmers, The Glorious British Isles had just had its own Vietnam, in Malaya, which we won, no surprise there,
we tried to teach the americunts how to fight a native people, in their own backyards, in hostile conditions, using a simple tactic, hearts and minds,
which the americunts completly thew out the window and made everyone fucking hate them, south, north, even the folks back home.
We even taught the cunts how to rappel into a jungle from a helicopter, silly americunts.

Lick my balls you British twot, go back to jerking off over the penguin islands

the falklands is ours you filthy argentine

we won that one too

>go into Vietnam in order to organize a cease-fire treaty
>we completely wipe out the Vietcong
>we defeat the NVA
>a cease-fire treaty is organized
>our mission complete, we pull out
>the NVA reneges on its agreement
>somehow that means we lost

get fucked amerifat

>film opens with Huey flying over jungle
>ITS JUST A SHOT AWAY starts playing

excuses

you lost, deal with it

The strategist Carl von Clausewitz defined war as the use of violence to force an enemy to do your will.
The U.S. government wanted to keep the South Vietnamese government from falling to the communists. This goal was not achieved as the South Vietnamese government fell to an invasion from communist North Vietnam in 1975.
The South Vietnamese government wanted to prevent the communists from overthrowing it. This goal was obviously not achieved.
The North Vietnamese government wanted to outlast U.S. patience and willingness to suffer casualties so that the United States would eventually withdraw, and the North Vietnamese could conquer South Vietnam.
These goals were achieved.

>read the article for mc02
>the American forces failed so hard that they had to restart the game and gimp the other side
Thanks for the laugh

>It gets funnier when you realise the only war America has won by itself was against itself
Korea says hi.

war is hell

this. you can win every battle and end up losing the war. The Problem with Vietnam is no one knows why or how america lost. The normie version of "DUDE WE COULDNT DEAL WITH GUERRILLA WARFARE!" is wrong though, considering the viet cong was obliterated. The Tet Offensive was an utter failure and basically broke their back.

>America has won by itself

we beat the french in a naval war right after our formation tbhfam. As well as all the indian tribes.

also, no one fights wars 1v1

>Korea would say hi if they weren't busy still technically being at war

>repeal two communist invasions

>"i-it doesnt count reeee!"

Cant wait until Putin rapes all of Europe and you groveling worms have to suck the BAC and beg us to save you for a third time.

>The Tet Offensive was an utter failure and basically broke their back.
Indeed, but it was reported a lot in the news as a major battle and played really negatively with the American public, even though the North Vietnamese forces were basically buttfucked beyond belief. The White House couldn't convince people that this was a good use of resources.

>North Korea invades
>gets repelled
>China joins in
>slant eyed niggers repelled again
>South Korea is now one of the most prosperous countries in all of Asia
>North Korea is the asshole of the universe

Really inspires thought doesn't it?

vimeo.com/179998320
KINO

>naval war
kek a few corsair ships count as a war now

>>South Korea is now one of the most prosperous countries in all of Asia
Achieved under an authoritarian regime.
Now that makes me think.

You mean digital surround sound speakers in every tent or hole in the barracks playing IT AINT ME?

A temporary regime, as they now support democracy. My neurons are on fire right now.

>forgetting Full Metal Jacket

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quasi-War

America, when it was this rinky dink new country, was able to defeat a major world power in a battle on the seas by itself. Feel free to look up the battles of it and read "American Victory" over and over again.

It wasn't. It was just the last real war for the U.S.

Patroling streets in sandnigger shithole against a faceless enemy who just hides until you pull out of their country just isn't the same.

An IED, an ambush, combatants holding out in a mosque. That's it. Globalist media is always on the enemy's side too.

yeah, and one that wasnt communist and/or some weird god emperor dynasty thing like their northern brothers.

just take the L

>they now support democracy
Elected a female demon worshipper.

>massacring technologically inept tribes counts as a war

Keep patting yourself on the back, Yank

>Patroling streets in sandnigger shithole against a faceless enemy who just hides until you pull out of their country just isn't the same.
Sounds a lot like Vietnam m8

This is actually explained by the "fun" of the war.

I'm pretty sure OP is retarded but he has a point. Vietnam is portrayed as a war with no small amount of down-time, drugs, music, parties, hookers, etc.

The US military was a conscript force at the time of the Vietnam War. These were not professional soldiers, thus there were problems. We were not prepared for the realities of stationing so many troops in Vietnam, where the battle lines were hazy and the enemy used unconventional warfare.

>Drugs intentionally supplied to US forces by the enemy and opportunists looking to make $$$
>Corrupt quartermasters, forced into the conflict, make the most of their situation for personal gain
>Enemy agents posing as or actually working as prostitutes gathering intelligence and spreading STI's intentionally
>Overall shit levels of discipline among US forces
>Leadership largely unprepared and unwilling to wage the war as it needed to be fought

This leads to a lot of young men and a lot of opportunities for "fun" that're disastrous for the overall mission of preserving the integrity of South Vietnamese independence against an onslaught of regular commie military to the North and commie agents (VC) within its own borders.

Things have changed quite a bit but I think poor discipline, unpreparedness, and the conscript nature of the US military of the time all contributed to Vietnam being portrayed as "fun" in some respects.

>says this despite most likely being a bong who gets a patriotic boner from watching Zulu

lol. Also, the injuns had guns

so yeah it's just piracy not war

>elected president is stepping down due to public outcry
How is this not a democracy?

>making excuses because your pissy little point got BTFO

best part is that there is a US military base and thousands of McDonalds in your country

My read on the whole thing was that Vietnam was the most absurd war America had ever been in at the time, in the sense that absolutely none of the soldiers thought that "halting the spread of Communism" was worth dying for. Hence why its ironically portrayed as "fun" to contrast with the fact that a soldier could take one wrong step and fall into a punji pit.

As a sidenote, soldiers in the war saw it as absurd as well. In Dispatches, its mentioned how a soldier was tasked with cutting the tall grass a kilometre of the base so that no VC could crawl through it. Instead of using the mowers, he instead called a napalm strike on it.

>open wiki article
>see "Co-Biligerent" under USA
>press "show"
>"Great Britain"

Really makes your neurons fire

Good post, very informative, thank you.

>1 frigate vs 1 frigate
>1 sloop-of-war vs 1 brig-sloop
>1 brig vs 1 brig
>1 frigate vs 1 fifth-rate
>1 schooner vs 1 brig
>fighting on home turf
woah
so this... is the power... of reject puritans... woah

>muh excuses

really fired up my burgers

Doesn't really count as a victory though does it, just a stalemate, especially since the US basically signed away the North to the soviets before losing the lives of thousands of US troops literally only a couple of years later.
It really feels more like a loss, since the US could have liberated a whole unified Korea after defeating the Japanese if they hadn't given half of it away to the soviets first...

OP pls name a Vietnam movie that actually portrays the war as "fun" that doesn't also portray it as a nightmarish hellscape of death and corruption

At some point in any 'Nam movie the soldiers have fun because that's what soldiers do, most of them are kids, and they try to relax and forget about the horror of war. In Vietnam there were drugs everywhere. Nonetheless the next day they were having a horrible, horrible ass time.

In fact I'm pretty sure "WAR IS HELL" is the message in literally every Vietnam movie ever made, you'd be hard-pressed to find a single "positive" or even just jingoistic/nationalistic seeming Vietnam movie because of how widely reviled that war was by all parties.

>repeal two communist invasions

>"its not really a victory because I have an irrational hatred of america"

Full Metal Jacket actually does portray it as fun though.

They all ran away to Canada or pretended to be homosexuals, so they have to guess what it was like.

Right up until the moment they get slaughtered and immasculated by a 14 year old girl.

>Doesn't really count as a victory though does it, just a stalemate
The US wasn't invading North Korea, North Korea invaded the South. By repelling the invasion South Korea and US won the war. Read a book commie.

>and immasculated

nice pseudo psychology. Youre really smart!

Oliver Stone nailed it pretty much, being in the army is something women and children will never understand.

>still confusing repel with repeal

More importantly, it looks like America is losing the war on illiteracy at home.

Are you honestly implying that Apocalypse Now didn't portray it as fun when the helicopters blow apart a village while blasting Wagner, for the sole purpose of catching a sweet wave to surf on?

>a faceless enemy
Just because Charly shares one face it doesnt mean they dont have one at all

that was the most fun part

You could say the same for sand niggers m8. It was guerrilla warfare in both conflicts.

I'm failing to see what's great about 1v1 ships, usually with the superior being the Americans.

>USS United states out crews HMS Macedonian
>Battle of Lake Erie, USA outnumber Britain by 9 to 6
>USS Wasp is a Sloop-of-War vs Brig-Sloop, USA is a larger and more powerful ship
>USS Hornet vs HMS Peacock, USA is a larger and more powerful ship, also out crews them.
>HMS Dominica was captured by a Privateer, not by the USA Navy, also he took them by surprise by not flying Privateer flags. Privateer also out crewed the Dominica

Do you want me to go on?

amerishit in charge of revisionism

>guy gets hazed into committing murder-suicide during basic training
>platoon commander dies
>squad leader dies
>final scene has them getting shot the fuck up all to reach this damn dirty sniper
>the sniper is just a teenage girl, the moral ambiguity ruining any catharsis the characters were searching for, and then the main character has to mercy kill her and gets PTSD's into numbness.

yeah but because they play fun music during some of the helicopter sequences, it means they're portraying Vietnam as "fun war" holy shit you're autistic

That's literally what happens though.

>end of the film
>soldiers literally walking through hell
>singing "Mickey Mouse Club" song

Its a coping mechanism. If the soldiers were as dreary as teh environment around them, then they'd just want to kill themselves.

>p-please Mr. Sung, we gave you the whole of North Korea, please stop killing thousands of US troops and forcing us to maintain an expensive and locally despised military presence in the south, u-uuh ok, we can just go back to it was , j-just please don't do it again ok. You can keep developing your ICBMs and firing artillery across the border and everything.

FLAWLESS VICTORY, BREAK OUT THE TICKER TAPE PARADES

That's how it goes, yes. By your logic, Britain won the Revolutionary War because in the vast majority of pitched battles, they won the fights and the war ended when supplies stopped being shipped and the threat of invasion from Spain and France across the entire British Empire was more of a risk than fighting America. Britain pulled out. So they must have won :^)

A typo is a mistake made in the process of typing. Yours is a mistake in the process of conception, you fucking subhuman.

>"Bird is the Word" plays while tanks blow the shit out of a city, and the soldiers joke around about John Wayne films
>helicopter gunner jokes about shooting women and children

Go look up the word "irony" then get back to me

>we gave you the whole of North Korea
Your reading comprehension isn't very good is it. North Korea already had that territory at the beginning of the war. The North invaded the south, and were pushed back even with the help of China. By your logic, the UK lost the Falklands war because Argentina still exists.

>forcing us to maintain an expensive and locally despised military presence in the south
You must not have ever been to South Korea m8. They're very thankful to America because without American support they wouldn't exist as they do now. Educate yourself.

>A typo is a mistake made in the process of typing.

you mean like misspelling a word?

Either way, this is just an attempt by you to change the topic since america beat the communist in Korea and you are trying to find some excuse for how they didnt based on some petty anti-american view you have.

>Out number a Force 11:1... Still lose against fucking Native Americans
>Out number a Force 50:1... Can't win. Enemy reinforcements arrive, still outnumber them 8:1. Still lose.
>Out number a Force nearly 2:1, in your capital city, still lose

WEW.

It is a typo since the misspelling doesn't have any effect on the meaning of the sentence. There's no need to get upset.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typographical_error
>The term includes errors due to mechanical failure or slips of the hand or finger,[3] but excludes errors of ignorance, such as spelling errors.

not even the guy you quoted, but there's a difference between misspelling a word because you don't know how to spell it and making a typographical error

It's almost as if numbers alone don't determine who wins military battles.

Yeah Id rather not have to serve in ww3 but you can take my spot if you want.

A typo is when you type out something you didn't intend due to error. For example, you trying to tell everyone all about how you just love dicks and can't live without them, but then your finger slips due to it being covered in cum after probing around in daddy's urethra, and you profess your love for ducks instead. That is making a typo. "Typo" does not mean being an illiterate fuckwit.

>I have no idea how to do anything myself, please someone protect me please
Spoken like a true yurocuck.

Sup Forums should be deleted from the board list.

He obviously meant to type repel, so yes, it is typo. How are you so confused by this? Maybe you should focus on reading instead of thinking about cocks so much.

>getting this upset
I think you need to take a break lad.

>He obviously meant to type repel
I see two instances of "repeal" by the same retard. I'll have to call bullshit on that.

It is literally the worst board I've ever seen on the internet. I'll bet there are anal vore forums on deviantart that have more constructive coversations than the concentrated stream of autism that makes up this board.

user there is right. She shot their balls off. Same thing happens on the book, except that Cowboy is one the guys out there being shot up and Joker has to mercy kill him.

>Why is the Vietnam war portrayed as fun
are u retarded m8?

thanks for agreeing
*snuggles up against you*
meowww....
*notices ur bulge*
owo
whats this

Fuck off. I don't go to /lgbt/ and slap the cock out of your mouth, so why you gotta shit up the board more than normal?

Top kek

Amerisharts BTFO'd

>user realizes Hollywood is just propaganda for imperialistic white males

> imperialistic white males