Is this a good album?

Is this a good album?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/LtHPhVhJ7Rs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not the best punk record ever, but not bad. Very influential tho for its time.

Reminder that the Sex Pistols were a boy band.

Yes

Every song is fucking great, I don't give a shit about "le image"

yes

This album is GOAT!
It changed my life FOREVER!

they wrote their own music though

Yes. It's not a flawless 5/5 or anything but it's very good, and it's worth listening to purely for how influential it's been on punk music as a whole.

> Boy band
Boy bands are designed to have a mainstream, inoffensive appeal. Boy bands don't get their songs banned. Boy bands don't purposely and carelessly get themselves in to trouble and cause controversy.

Really fucking good. An easy 10/10 in my book, not even just because of how influential it is, I really like their sound.

Yes, and the Manchester gig at the Lesser Free Trade Hall is one of the most important gigs of all time

good:
>purely for how influential...
whack

Worded that poorly, I meant to say that even if it wasn't good it would still be worth a listen due to it's importance to the genre.

That was literally their marketing strategy
The Sex Pistols were a corporate creation and could barely play an instrument
> inb4 not being musically gifted is what made them good

I don't think you realize how powerful that was at the time. They destroyed the notion that you had to be talented or good looking to be a star. Not to mention, Glen Matlock is a great bass player.

yeah... incredibly powerful for a punk band to sign onto a major record label. quite the message.

Man, I’m not going to try to explain how dumb you are.

There was no such thing as “it’s punk rock to stay indie”. That notion didn’t come about until after the rise of American hardcore several years later.

Fuck it, listen to Metal Box instead.

hmm

EMI is best track

Based

anyone who says yes is underage b&

I agree, even though the end does kinda rip off Road Runner a bit.

have you ever heard an album that wasn't this one?

so the huge amount of money they got from that contract only made their ripped jeans and dirty clothes more authentic
let me guess, your definition of punk is some shitty vague shallow "fuck the system" manifesto

what is the true definition of punk?

>implying a subculturee can have a "true" definition when all i'm saying is that if this is your standard of punk, it's as shallow as this record
Anyways. rock music* designed with a political (typically radical) message delivered in an abrasive manner, typically made by or in favor of lower class/marginalized people.
not just some angry white dudes looking for something to burn in an attempt to be edgy

no but important

Just skip to PiL.

Yes. The can't play instruments meme is bullshit. Glen Matlock does a fine job on base, and the guitar and mixing on this album is very good, much higher than one would expect from a punk record.

The only one who really couldn't play was Sid and he wasn't even on the album

I don’t have a definition of punk. However, you trying to push it into something like that is stupid. The Pistols didn’t even last two years because of McLauren but that didn’t stop them from inspiring countless others to start their own band.

But please keep whining about how they aren’t real because of their dickhead manager. It just shows you care about some made up rules about what is and isn’t “punk” which is completely stupid.

This

Ironically, elitist nitpicking about what is and isn't punk is just about the most quintessentially "punk" thing there is.

>Using “white” to mean something negative
Can we just delete all the commie white guilt punk fags and go back to the pistols and the ramones? No relevant, non pop punk, punk band past them has ever been relevant

Agree that using white as a pejorative in music needs to stop, but I could name at least a dozen relevant punk acts post-1977.

Technically, no, it's awful. Viscerally, it's the GOAT. Which you prefer is up to you.

One of my favorite albums of all time. You may not like it but to deny it's influence is beyond stupid.

It's much better than good!

IT'S ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS

>boy band

youtu.be/LtHPhVhJ7Rs

Also a very young Siouxsie Sioux

i don't like it

Go to bed, Pete.
It's not my fault Howard was a better singer and the band was much better when he was on vocals.

Not entirely true.
The whole "It's punk rock to stay indie" really started with CRASS in 1978.

Also one should remember that a large majority of punk bands from England in 1977 were originally on independent labels not connected to the majors, although some of those labels would be connected to the majors in later years.

The Damned were on Stiff Records
Eater was on The Label
The Lurkers were on Banquet
The Buzzcocks were on New Hormones
The Angelic Upstarts were on Rough Trade/Small Wonder
Sham 69 were on Step Forward

And Crass started their own record label.

This was all between 1977-1979 before U.S. Hardcore garnered any attention.

Yeah dude I love GLOSS!!! They're so cutting edge and against mainstream society!!!

I think you meant to say The Lurkers were on Beggar's Banquet records.

They were mannrquins for Malcolm McLaren's clothing line

I loved it as a kid, but don't really like punk rock at all now and I don't know what I ever saw in it. That said I still think Johnny Rotten is a fun guy.

Metal Box is good but out-stays it's welcome. Its repetition is quite detrimental to it, however I'm a big fan of the bass work.

No friend, that was the Ramones who showed a generation that you could be an untalented piece of shit and still make music that rocked

Just listen to any Public Image. Their first 3 studio albums are gold
Jah Wobble is a fucking god and anyone who says otherwise should be taken out back and dealt with

They fucking rocked. Yes I know about everything else. I know they rode a publicity wave, etc... That has little to do with the actual music though. It's not that I don't care about what Malcolm's vision was or anything. It's just not that relevant to the music itself. It's not really that relevant to the amount of influence they had either. It's just one of many significant pieces of work you should seek out to understand how it all came together. I would suggest you go listen to Metallic KO too.

10/10
No album is as consistently raw, angry, energetic and misanthropic as this.
The only song that doesn't completely hit is Submission but other than that, for an album which is rather one note in sound and style, it never gets old and has sustaining lasting appeal

But buzzcocks didn’t play at the first gig. Yeah, they were there but didn’t actualy play until the second show

PiL is better

It's a great album OP, and it features some of the best classic punk songs of all time. They were really influential and sort of gave a message to the UK youth.

Saying "anarchy" is cool, and thus the Sex Pistols succeeded and became an influential band for the punk movement. But being actually anarchists like Crass was way out of what UK's youth would've seen 'cool'.

And, come on, even Elvis Presley and The Who looked as revolutionaries in their time.

hhe

firstjointcore. Probably interesting historically because they were beeing subversive and stuff.

That wasn't the joke I was trying to make, though.

It was, however the show where four young lads from Manchester decided to form a punk band which would be known as The Buzzcocks, though.

I'll give you credit for spotting the reference, though.

i didn't say it was negative that they were white calm down. just that there are a number of white dudes who use it as an excuse to do stupid rebel-without-a-cause-style bullshit when their mom tells them to clean their room and call it punk
>go back to the pistols and the ramones
You are 14. Go do your homework.

Yea

The Ramones weren't untalented they were smartarses pretending to be untalented to make a really good sound

Don’t forget two lads who would go on to form a little band called Warsaw.