What do y'all think about Ween? I've been really digging The Pod lately

What do y'all think about Ween? I've been really digging The Pod lately.

We all agree this is their best, right?

I feel like it's where they are most consistent.

Best all around, most complete album of theirs, yes. My favorite? Probably overall, but that definitely changes.

DOCTOR ROCK!

DOCTOR ROCK!

It's pretty much the culmination of all their early work and it's some of the best of their later work. They quite literally peaked here. That's not to say there's not some great moments on Quebec. Speaking of Quebec, who else gets a little emotional when Gener starts signing "I don't want it" after you realize it's about the same girl from "Sarah"

The Pod is better in my opinion, but The Mollusk is still a great album.

WHEN YOU CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME INTO THE POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD YOU TOLD ME THAAAAAAAAAAAT SOME THING WAS WROOOOOOOOOOONG

Really? The Pod's good as hell, but I don't know the real appeal of it. It always kinda came across as a less weird pure guava but a less listenable God Ween Satan. Really just a awkward teenager of an album while they were in a transitional period. Why do you like it so much user?

Why is La Cucaeacha so universally reviled? It's not as great as their other stuff and it's indulgent at times, but it's generally pretty decent. Also, is White Peppee the single most overrated ween album?

Let's not talk about Quebec.

Why not?

White Pepper is great, it will grow on you.

You know why.

I think that's the problem. It's so straightforward that there's nowhere for it to grow really.

All the songs on The Pod are good.

Humor me. I don't discuss ween much on this board so if there's something I'm missing out on let me know. I genuinely love that album.

I thought the same thing, but then one day some of the songs sounded different, more appealing. It might happen to you, just give it time. That being said, don't go looking for it, just listen to Ween as you do.

Its dark and emotional and sludgy. It slowly descends into madness, then comes back with pork roll egg and cheese. If you listen to it while you are feeling really shitty, especially if your really fucking sick, the music becomes some of the most relatable shit you'll ever hear. Its the auditory equivalent of mononucleosis. Some of the songs are some really fucking heavy shit, even for ween. Don't Sweat it, Laura, even She Fucks Me just convey so much emotion, despite being such simple songs. It encapsulates a darker, noisier, sicker side of Ween that I like a lot.

Thanks man, I'll try to have a more open mind next time I get around to listening.

There are a lot of Quebec fans on here that hold that album in the highest regard among Ween albums and a lot of people disagree.

Huh that's pretty crazy. I think you're on to something, with this. I'll have to give it another listen in a certain state of mind. Fuck guys this is why I love ween, there's so much to them depending on the state of mind you're in. Thanks user!

its my favourite but probably not their best

got into the mollusk more after realizing i unironically enjoy ocean man. i really enjoy buckingham green

I mean I hold it in a really high regard for personal reasons. I think it's a perfect ending to their discography (before la cucaracha came along and fucked it) and it shows what happens when a couple goofballs try maturing. That said, I think if it's your favorite ween album you're completely missing the point, since it best serves as a reflection instead of a monument of its own if that makes any sense.

They're unique in that some of their greatest stuff is on "unofficial" or non-lp releases.

Quebec is a great album, but you could replace half of the songs with stuff from Caesar, and it would be pretty much a perfect album. Shinola Vol. 1 has Gabriella, etc, I'll Miss You and Kim Smoltz aren't even on official releases as far as I know, and their contributions to X Files and South Park soundtracks stand on their own as great songs.

They are one of my top 4 bands, and there's always more to discover about them. Ween fucking rules.

Gener's (usually drunk) covers of old pop rock songs on live albums and bootlegs are also treasures. Piano Man, Against All Odds, Allentown, Let's Dance, etc.

No kidding about the Caesar point. They could have made 10 better albums from that collection than what became Quebec.

>I'll Miss You
Fucking excellent b-side.

Definitely. I love the brown Deaneresque jams a la That Man (from the Flatland), and the totally smooth 2nd half of the 2nd disc of Caesar is just so buttery, it goes down so easy.

Ween's music is so diverse that it attracts a bunch of fans that prefer a certain "mode" or type of song, so there's a ton of discussion to be had among folks who appreciate the different aspects of their output. Going by what I read, and the setlists on brownbase, maybe half of the most popular songs aren't really stuff I love, but they have such a deep and diverse catalog, and such a long touring history and varied setlists that they never fail to amaze.

yeah one thing that's always impressed me about ween is that songs from different albums (and sometimes even the same album) sound like they were made by completely different artists. Not even the vocals are consistent.

I just want to put in a good word for 12 Golden Country Greats. It's a bit underrated.