CUTTING EDGE CGI

CUTTING EDGE CGI

>uggu~ am I kawaii?

should they have kept him like this through all three movies?

>han my bookie

i thought han was a smuggler?

>"Neeta Choota, Han Solo"
>"Yeah whatever fatty, what's with the pens?"

Wow I never noticed Greeedo and Greeeedo in the background

I noticed this when I re-watched a new hope yesterday

like maybe 2 scenes tops after han shoots greedo the exact same costume walks by, like not even greeedo or greeeedo, the exact same trucking costume

really makes ya think

damn Jabba really let himself go between ANH & ROTJ

Don't forget the camera lingers so Boba gets his little cameo in there

Seriously though what's with the pens? Saw it in rogue one too.

Remember when Han stepped on Jabba's tail that guy he is so afraid of?

Anyone got a .webm or .gif of Han walking behind him?

he vapes bruh

Never mind, found one

jesus christ

Best explanation yet.

with all the flavours simultaneously?

reminder that an actor was a standin for that scene, so they came up with that shit when they did the CGI bit and lifted han up with editing, what the fuck

I think in the EU the Empire spent ages developing pens that would work in space while the wily Rebels just used pencils. The Empire was so embarrassed by this that they ordered everyone in the galaxy to carry their special space pens at all times.

I remember watching some behind the scene commentary on the vhs about how amazing it was that they digitally made han "step up" when he walked on his tail.

the thing is why not have him walk around Jabba normally?
he could just step over the tail instead of stepping on it.

truly SPECIAL effects

Jabba should have killed him right then and there for that shit

Imagine sitting in a movie theater in 1997 and you see this.
Are any anons here who saw the special editon when it came out? How did you react? Did this already look bad back then?

I miss the old music from Jabba's palace. The new one is fucking annoying.

Also that dancer who got killed, was that Anakin's Padawan?

yeah I remember being pretty disgusted with the bad Jabba CGI, I liked most of the other stuff tho, but I'll always prefer the old rotj song instead of the new one too

no it wasn't anakin's padawan, but agreed, that old song is the shit

The worst thing is that they made that scene a whole fucking year. Was it really that hard to do? That low-res digital turd was the best the could do back then? The special editions had a pretty big budget.

yeah it looked fucking retarded but it was cool because it was the "original vision" and an extra scene that we wouldn't have otherwise seen that had jabba in it. it's like how when the ps1 first came out you thought the graphics were photo realistic because you had nothing to compare it to.

They are supposed to be security things. Encoded with special security codes and you put them into computer terminals like putting a lock into a key. IIRC whenever you see R2D2 plug into a computer his little attachment thing has the same shape.

>implying they're pens
They're probably death sticks like that drug dealer tried to sell to Obi Wan. Jabba was a partying dude.

Or insulin.

why does Jabba only react two times when Han does at least 3 steps on his tail.

Because one of those steps is really in a galaxy far, far away

O was 9, loved Star Wars, and was just grateful to see the Original Star Wars on the big screen. Also, I won't lie, at first I loved the CGI additions. Only later did I hate most of them.

At present I only like a few of the additions during the Death Star battle, and maybe the effect when the Death Star blows up (+ ALderaan) although it's not necessary.

i saw it as a young child but i was an absolutely massive star wars fan/retard and it was awesome to see it on the big screen

dont worry user, i understood that reference

>when the ps1 first came out you thought the graphics were photo realistic
>had nothing to compare it to

do you even think before you type?

Honestly I prefer this to the shitty old muppets

why didn't they just do the same jabba as in return of the jedi?

that's not the java lucas envisioned

I just thought R2 was making his way through the galaxy fucking everything

probably way too big for this scene?

yeah i guess so

I saw them, most of it looked really good for it's time but jabba and jedi rocks was always bad.

>Lucas delayed producing the Star Wars prequels for decades as he wanted to produce them when technology had advanced to the point where SFX was so realistic it wouldn't age
>this is the result

I'm thinking of games like metal gear solid and final fantasy 7. personally I had nothing else to compare it to except snes and some crappy pc games. the interactivity and cinematic presentation allows you to trick yourself with imagination in to thinking the graphics look better than they do.

still they could make him look more like the actual jabba, with smaller eyes etc.

yeah but i mean, they could have used a real jabba suit like rotj even if it was smaller, right?

probably too expensive or lazy to built a new one.

quit acting like the special editions weren't mostly real sets and practical effects user

that's an actual cutout of the falcon and those cronies are actors in costume.

>they could have used a real jabba suit

deathsticks

that's an old scene that wasn't specifically made for the special editions but repurposed smartass

They write upside down!

I thought it was lame as hell but I don't remember it looking that bad. I was mostly pissed they put a deleted scene back in that had the exact expository dialogue he gave inside the cantina.

Needless to say it aged like milk after just 2 years.

Go home and rethink your life

I was raised on the special editions but my dad pointed out all the new shit

the look on his face when the weird fucking jedi rock sound played in ep VI was painful to see

Because the puppet had fallen apart by then, fucking retard.

>Jabba, you're a wonderful human being

What did he mean by this?

FUCK. I rewatched ANH after seeing RO to see how it flowed and when he said that i wanted to punch my kidneys out.

Has anyone watched the DC of THX 1138? It's fucking hilariously bad. I had no idea he'd fucked with it too until I started watching it.

why user, why remind us of this...

There's nobody here that saw it in theater I guarantee it, and the people who replied to you are outright liars who are role playing to defend their I HATE LUCAS/STAR WARS cool guy attitude.

What ridge racer is this?

Surprise, surprise Lucas has hidden the original version from us. I really don't understand what's going through his mind. Why can't he let us watch both versions?

You're a fucking retard user. There are plenty of older people posting on Sup Forums and the rest of Sup Forums. I was 13 when the special editions came out.

There was absolutely no reason to add this scene in other than for Lucas to jack off to CG.

It's pretty much the reason why the prequels failed. Lucas neglected the story and dialog over trying to break ground with visuals. Unfortunately they all aged like dogshit.

I did and loved it but I was 10 and retarded

He sounds kinda sarcastic when he says it. We'll go with that.

and now you're 30 and retarded, go figure

I saw IV and VI. It was an odd experience. I loved all the reworked space battle stuff at the time. It's weird because despite some of it being incredibly jarring (Jabba looking weird, the musical number, the sarlacc's beak etc) it was impressive at the time and I kind of liked that I now had two versions to watch. Shame I missed empire.

math is off, good try though

>1997
>2017

Umm...user?

It's been 20 years? Jesus...

Sorry user. About the insult, not my maths.

Of the numerous deleted scenes in ANH, I can't help but wonder why Lucas felt this was the one that should be reinserted. It basically just repeats the dialogue of the previous scene with Greedo, which was one of the main reasons it was cut in the first place.

>only 10 days into the year

He's being overly precise. He's actually 29 until, at the latest, Jan. 31st.

It explains it in the opening doc for the 1997 trilogy release

>Sorry user. About the insult
cuck

I also don't get why Jabba would be out dicking around when he has bounty hunters like Greedo to do the dirty work for him. He should be back in his palace watching twileks

>Greeedo and Greeeedo
Holy christ my sides

>Captain Solo, I'm HUTT

THICCCC

I don't know. I'm fairly certain that guy was supposed to be Jabba, they just decided he's too mundane or the scene pads the movie unnecessarily (which without Return of the Jedi, and to a point even with it, it does), and then when they actually decided to make Jabba a relevant character with screen time, they went with the new look, not really thinking about ever re-editing this scene, because why the hell would they?

how new are you?

Yeah Lucas didn't like the man

I think at one point they were going to overlay a stop-motion creature (like those chess things) but it looked fucking awful so they scrapped the whole thing.

Also checked 77 was the year Star Wars came out

Shut the fuck up nigger

ANH Special Edition was my first trip to the movies that I remember, I thought everything looked amazing. Honestly I didn't see how shitty it looked until I saw it on DVD in '04, but I was also comparing it to the prequels, even TPM Jabba.

Checked right back. And yeah I guess they could've done that, but some of the shots in there, especially where Jabba is standing far away from the camera makes me question it.
Most of the other animatronics and puppets they used wouldn't fit well with a stop motion puppet, and if instead they used an animatronic or puppet, then there's the issue where the only real way to do that, is if at least part of it is near an obscurable place or hangs off the screen, so there's somewhere to hide the operator.

Definitely saw it in theaters, dude. But I didn't notice anything at the time other than Jabba looking different than he did in Jedi.

The added scenes are an insult to film making.

Breaking ground with visuals was the entire point of the original trilogy too, though.

Backstorypill me on this, Sendai.

You haven't read Greedo's lore?
Wow.
Fake Star Wars fans in here.
Those are all Greedo.

>turning one of the series most intimidating villains into a CGI pushoff in one scene that added nothing of value to ANH (instead of one of the deleted scenes with Luke's friend who was in the empire)
Lucas is a hack

it doesn't seem in character at all for jabba to let someone do that to him. deer fucking god please can we just get an official de-specialized bluray cut? PLEASE!!!!!

>deer

I meant dear. fuck.

is there something you don't like about the despecialized hd versions floating around? I haven't watched em yet but I recently downloaded all 3 in 720p surround