Ready to see these dudes make out on Sunday?

Ready to see these dudes make out on Sunday?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9ZNQsscjdTg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I think that's sating more about you than the show.

>BBC conducts survey about LGBT representation around the time Sherlock began
>Survey results show that viewers want more groundbreaking LGBT content
>almost everyone on the show has at some point referred to it as a love story, Martin Freeman called it something along the lines of the "gayest story in the history of television"
>a number of the actors and writers in interviews have said things like "we're about to do something that has never been done before" "if we get it right we will be making television history" in reference to the upcoming ep
>Cucumber said that when he found out what they were going to do with holmes and watson's relationship, he was sure it would be fun, and said recently "love conquers all" referring to this season
>gatiss and moffat have said that their favorite holmes adaptation is the private life of sherlock holmes, where sherlock is explicitly homo
>hug between holmes and watson in most recent ep was for some reason faded to black, then opened with an establishing shot of the same location they were already in, with them putting their coats on (basically, was for some reason portrayed like a sex scene)

shit seems pretty gay to me. Maybe they wont make out but I'm pretty sure this is the "making tv history" comments are based around

>2 dudes being normal friends is gay

why is this a thing?

FUCKING DEGENERATES

POST THE BAFTA THING

I'm not saying it's a thing every time, I'm saying it's a thing this time. That's Gatiss/Moffat's master plan.

This one?

>At the Baftas, where he picked up the best supporting actor award for playing Dr Watson to Benedict Cumberbatch's Holmes, Freeman said that he saw Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's characters as being profoundly in love.

>"It's about the relationship between the two men and how it develops and how it changes," Freeman tells me. "It is about the things that wind each other up and the things that they genuinely love about one another as well. We all certainly saw it as a love story. These two people do love and kind of need each other in a slightly dysfunctional way, but it is a relationship that works. They get results."

This was in 2011, around that time the cast/crew was a bit more open about the gay shit and then started saying it's not what they are doing. There is a vid somewhere of Moffat and Gatiss from back then talking about something about it (can't remember exactly what it was) and then one interrups him saying "Series 4! Series 4!", now they just say that they have something they have been planning for a long time

hmm looks like the one i pasted was kind of a paraphrase. here's the version with the gayest show ever comment:

>"Obviously it's Sherlock's show but there's far more parity than I think there often is in that relationship. I know [creators] Steven [Moffat] and Mark [Gatiss] primarily wanted the show to be about that relationship as much if not more than anything else."

>Freeman continued: "[It's about the relationship] and how it develops and how it changes and the things that wind each other up, the things that they genuinely sort of love about each other as well. It's the gayest story in the history of television... People certainly run with that which I'm quite happy with! But we all saw it as a love story. Not just a love story, but those two people who do love each other - a slightly dysfunctional relationship sometimes, but a relationship that works. They get results."

Fucking mufftits

>homos are so devoid of humanity they think friends have buttlust for one another
really makes me think

I've watched plenty of shows with 'bromances' where the characters are clearly just great friends, including several Holmes adaptations. I thought Sherlock was one of these shows, but it seems to me that the creators are intentionally making it a love story. Everyone involved has said as much, anyway. I don't think it's going to end in literal buttsex but I do think they are going to differentiate the relationship as being distinct from the typical Holmes/Watson friendship story in some way. If they are setting out to do something that has never been done before, that would definitely be one way to do it. Showing Watson and Holmes as great friends however has been done pretty much every single time since the characters were created. "Modernizing" the story has also been done several times before. So what are they doing that is apparently so historic that they keep mentioning it?

Men can love one another without gobbling cock

Platonic love between men is purer than romantic, hetero love.

nothing in the show indicates to me that Sherlock and Holmes are anything other than brothers in arms; and given the wanton violence they've both committed, they seem to fit the description nicely.

>Faggots ruin the original buddy/cop duo
Please make this stop. At least in the Islamic States of Britain this shit would be haram

I'm not sure if I would be able to lay out every subtextual clue related to this since I would have to go digging through eps for stills but the people creating the show use alot of imagery to convey the concept.

A common thing they do is dress characters similarly to Sherlock and John and place them near mirrors as well as juxtapose scenes between Sherlock and John and other characters to demonstrate parallels between the words/actions/etc. of these characters, using them to reveal information about Sherlock and John. One way you can "double check" this mirroring tactic is through the musical score. Sherlock and John each have their own music associated with them (as well as a piece that combines their music; Moriarty and Mycroft also have their own music that also gets combined in certain scenes) and these bits of music get played fairly consistently in scenes of their mirrored characters.

A couple examples I can think of: In one of the early eps there is an Asian girl who works in a museum, and a coworker boy who has a crush on her. The girl is representative of Sherlock and her backstory mirrors Sherlock's history with his brother. The boy is dressed like John and is a mirror of him. Later in the ep, John is with the girl who is representing Sherlock, and when he leaves her side to find real Sherlock, she gets killed.

In the Baskerville ep there is a gay couple, one of the guys wears the same color shirts as John on each scene they are shown together in, and in one scene they are arranged in the forground in front of a mirror while sherlock and john stand behind them in front of a different mirror.

These aren't just a couple of barely-there moments, they're just the ones that come to mind for me doing this off the top of my head, this stuff happens consistently throughout the entire show.

I'M NOT GAY

Oh, another couple they do this with is Sherlock's parents. They dress the mom like Sherlock and the dad like Watson. And I'm not saying it ends with the clothing either; they use the characters and dialogue in these scenes to reveal information about the main characters, but that shit was years ago so I can't really recall much specific situations/lines.

They also tend to repeat lines and do callback lines to other eps. They of course make references to canon which also tend to provide some insight/foreshadowing, but that is usually more as an homage to ACD (and also on some occasions, to scenes from The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes--they paraphrase lines/situations/visuals from that movie a few times) and less to do with revealing character information.

>1 adaptation that might make it gay out of hundreds that don't make it gay is going to ruin it

Something I remembered that combines Sherlock and John's music is when Sherlock is kissing Molly in Anderson's theory about the fall, significant because John and Molly are connected by this subtext I am describing: Molly gets "mirrored" as John (I think it's in the same ep) where both she and John are dating Sherlock look-alikes. John is dating a woman wearing a Sherlock-y looking coat, and Molly is dating a guy in a Sherlock-y coat; they make it clear that everyone can see what Molly is doing (dating a Sherlock substitute) but they don't make it obvious with John, except for visually. However Molly and John are demonstrated as both trying to date someone who visually is like Sherlock, while still being focused emotionally on Sherlock himself (John's gf dumps him saying Sherlock is a lucky man)

Oh another thing that came to mind: In the canon stories, ACD fucks up a couple times and calls Mrs. Hudson Mrs. Turner. In the show this is referenced with the funny line "Mrs. Turner next door's got married ones!". Now in the promotional photo for the upcoming ep, 221B appears to be blown up and John and Sherlock are sitting in what is the "married ones" apartment, the significance being that technically in canon Mrs. Hudson = Mrs. Turner. So it implies implications about who the "married ones" are, strengthened slightly by the fact that on the blogs created for the show they have several comments being left by an account named Mrs Turner who keeps saying "This is Mrs Hudson" before the rest of her comments.

This could obviously just be taken as a running gag in reference to ACD's slip up, but it may also be significant, considering that this mirroring technique has been done repeatedly on the show.

Well, not IS the other apartment, but what MIGHT be the apartment of the ones next door. Obviously it could turn out to be meaningless, but given that many of the scenes contain alot of visual information, it might not be.

Oh and I wasn't joking about the way the hug scene was edited: youtube.com/watch?v=9ZNQsscjdTg

How often on this show do they fade to black like this?

As far as I recall, it's not something that they commonly do. It could be taken as a way to add gravity to the scene (I guess? Scenes before it have been pretty grave without a fade to black--I may be wrong, maybe they've faded out like that previously) but the way its put together is very similar to how sex scenes are depicted in older movies: Embrace, fade out, establishing shot, characters getting dressed. They show 221B from the outside right after the fade even though we were just in 221B moments ago. I'm not saying this means they actually had sex, but I don't think this was done randomly or by accident; it was meant to evoke the typical progression of a romantic scene, again, a visual way of revealing something about the characters without the characters explicitly stating anything.

It also gets combined with Mycroft and his....Secretary? Not sure who that lady was; they also give his scene with her alot of romantic/sexual implications, and if I recall correctly they also show her and Mycroft putting on their coats at some point in close timing with all of what I described above. Don't take my word for all that, I'll have to rewatch the ep, but it seems there was an intention to mirror Mycroft and his secretary's sexual implications against John and Sherlock's hug scene--again, I'm not saying there was any actual fucking going on with any of the characters, but why would these comparisons be made, from a writer/director's standpoint?