Genuine question. Why do you listen to black metal? Why do you think it is good?

Genuine question. Why do you listen to black metal? Why do you think it is good?
Inb4 newfag i guess. I just dont get how this is music. Explain

what do you usually listen to?

"""Normal"""" metal mostly. Pantera is the heaviest i listen to. Metallica, motorhead and megadeth are my favs.

It's an acquired taste

ah, good b8 good sire

why do you ask about black metal in particular? is it the vocals or the intentionally bad production? cuz relative to plenty of extreme music, metal and otherwise, most black metal is really pretty tame and poppy even. you can really say this about the vast majority of all metal. and i say this as a big fan of many styles of metal, black metal being my favorite. i like it so much because of how catchy and fun it is to me, the riffs and drums. catchy patterns are basically what people enjoy in music and black metal has 'em so i'm not really sure what you're confused by, user. i would understand you more if you were asking about jazz, classical, free improv, ambient, noise, field recordings, or anything else without the same "structure" pop music has. but yeah this seems like lazy bait or you're a super dumb normie who can't fathom the idea of taking a .2 second objective look at their own feelings.

i compare it more to ambient music.
it's not really something you can bob your head to or sing along to or headbang to or anything. it just sets a mood/aesthetic with sound and sometimes it can be enjoyable just how dark ambient/drone can be as well.

The album you posted is much more accessible than other bm

it really is an acquired taste. as degenerate as it is, weed helps acquire said taste

>I just dont get how this is music
there are sounds being arranged therefore it's music
now go be gay somewhere else

I’m a a natural healer of sorts, and I like using good, dark black metal to purge out stuck energy in the body. Works like a charm. It’s kind of orgasmic in a strange way

bro doing a lot of psychs doesn't make you a healer.

i was going to happily splain it to ya why until
>I just dont get how this is music.
lmao fuck off

I haven’t done Psych’s in 2 years, but it’s cool man. Take some punches

Darkthrone is comfy

Metal music just hits the right places, gets you energized and pumped.

tru tru my bad I was just projecting.

I'm not a fan of it but I can listen to most of its bands and quite enjoy for the atmospheric vibes it gives. But I must say that the first times I heard to black metal the vocals really put me off of it for a long time.

if you listened to dunkelheit for the first time and it doesn't make your dick tingle then there's no hope for you 2bh

faggot

Cool man, well do you have a favorite black metal album?

>not headbanging to dunkelheit

You're confusing atmospheric black metal with all black metal. You can headbang and mosh pit with most of black metal.

The albums are fantastical and feel like a comprehensive experience, like a journey, like an elder scrolls video game, etc.

There is a lot more black metal I don’t like than I do like.

But that's true for every kind of music.

plebbiest of pleb arguments, you could maybe ask this if the genre in question was harsh noise or onkyo or something

Proto black metal, Bathory, Celtic Frost, Venom, Mercyful Fate etc.. is the only "extreme" metal worth listening to. 2nd wave black metal, bands like Mayhem and Burzum were just trying to intentionally mimic the lo-fi production of records like Bathory's "The Return". The former is a great record because the production process was organic and it just adds to the dirgy sound and mystique of this one man band. The norwegian bands were a bunch of edgy kids that took the first wave bands too seriously and are more known for their murderous activities over their music. Black metal is largely shit and unlistenable.

This is the most all encompassing black metal album in terms of sound and atmosphere. Literally every 2nd wave black metal band draws influence from this one album in one way or another.

Its pretty much the holy grail.

>using "edgy kids made it" as a critisism against metal
All metal almost without exeption is pioneered by "edgy kids", including all the bands you posted.

Have you heard any black metal outside of the "atmospsheric" sub genre? A lot black metal is moshable af

except ambient is background music and (good) black metal is engaging

i just like the rebellion. pic related my favorite black metal band

I don't like most metal, except some black and death metal. It's weird, cause you'd think I like harsh sounds, but a lot of metal feels 'fake dark' to me. It's more entertainment than real depression and madness put on tape. Black metal feels more genuine I guess

'good' black metal I should add, this is what I mean by fake dark

Burzum is the only black metal I really love. I don't really "get" the other stuff.

I think it's fascinating how a zen-like beauty be achieved through such aggressive, chaotic noise.

Lots of variety and offshoots of the style is one of the reasons, it can range from traditional primitive bm to atmospheric/ambient influenced stuff, thrash-y "black n roll" stuff, plus there's a lot of individual-sounding artists in the genre that lean more toward avant-garde.
Also I've always enjoyed ambient music and more longform compositions so bm sits pretty well with me for that reason.

Black metal is a genre that's more about expressive textures than anything else. It pushes the limits of what can be considered heavy as well as the limits of lo fi equipment.

Conceptually no other genre exists that captures the essence of evil and that is badass. The only thing that ruins it are the nazis and the people who take it too seriously. It's supposed to be fun.

>The only thing that ruins it are the nazis and the people who take it too seriously.

the people who cry about bands being nazi just because they sing about norse mythology is worse

Well the answer to this usually applies to all forms of music, particularly aggressive styles i.e. HC, thrash, etc. That is, if you don't "get it", you probably never will. If you listen to black metal, and can't understand how it's even considered music, then you will just probably never understand it and it's not for you.

When I first heard black metal, it blew me away and I instantly "understood" it. I had never heard riffs or vocals or an atmosphere like that before. I mean I was instantly in love with the whole thing. I really can't describe how or why I like black metal though, I would just say you probably can't really appreciate it unless you have suffered a lot.

No dude. Look up shit like Grand Belial's Key and realize there is a legitimate nazi movement in black metal subculture.

Bands like mayhem and darkthrone arent nazis.

well to be fair a lot of black metal bands are nazi or express similiar views

I would agree that is the Holy Grail album, but I would say that isn't the one Bathory album that influenced the Norwegians more than others. It seems like their first two albums had an even bigger influence, and even Blood.Fire.Death to an extent.

GBK is great though, fuck off rat, if you're going to attack the politics of musicians in a genre then you should just stick to your hugbox indie artists

i know there's genuine neo nazi losers involved but bands like sabaton get called nazi for crying out loud

You can think whatever you want but you have the iq of a shovel.

Yeah, suffering is part of what makes black metal attractive to me. The music you connect with is just your own strongest feelings echoing back to you from the outside. You feel a deep connection and understanding through the sounds. It's healing as well, cause you can expose yourself to the atmosphere in a safe, controllable way. You learn to deal with it, and to accept it as part of life, and come out a stronger person on the other end

t. hasnt suffered

yeah im retarded for respecting different political views. seriously, why would you go into an extreme genre not expecting extreme views
fuck you

>respecting nazis for the lulz

Yep you sure got me beat. Shucks.

As if bm has anything to do with suffering. Pretty much the entire 2nd wave was made up of Norwegian kids living a comfy middle class life.

Exactly this.

>implying material possessions fulfill the soul of a human being

wow you sure bring a high level of discourse to this discussion, why shouldnt you respect any political ideology, no matter what spectrum of extremity it is?

>respecting different political views
yeah you're so neutral and respecting for enabling people that want literal genocide
jesus christ get your head out of your ass

having this small of a mind

you are technically right user, but you described it in the faggiest way possible

yeah because an extreme metal band is really going to rally up an army of all the nazis of the world to genocide da jooz again, grow up.

Not him, but if an ideology (if put into practise.) will result in meaningless bloodshed and loss of innocent life, like it did in WWII, then I have no reason to respect it.

There is no reason to respect violence, it's what makes this world a shitty place.

what the FUCK did he mean by this?

Because I have empathy and nazism condones the sensless murder of millions of people. Something that is fundementally wrong to about 99 percent of people on an instinctual level.

Also black metal is fun music. And music can be made to push an agenda. There are psychological ramifications to this that you arent considering. But if you want to get mad thats cool too. Not everyone who even makes this music seriously condones violence.

Mayhem is a good example. They are founders and are pretty much just in it for fun and beer.

Soon you'll learn to ignore their views and listen to their music. I startrd thinking also like you, now I don't give a fuck.
To people who loves black metal and go to concerts and shit, it's not surprising to find neo-nazi black metal bands, in fact, is kinda expected since it has it's own genre. NSBM.

get used to the vocals over time and enjoy the atmosphere
t. atmofag

No way dude. I stay clear of bullshit. Anyone pushing some shit I dont agree with gets cut right the fuck out of my life. I can do that. Guess why? Because I can.

its an extreme metal genre for fucks sake, death metal bands dont literally go around mutilating people, its part of the aesthetic
im hardly mad, im just trying to explain that you have unrealistic expectations of a genre that is obsessed with image and being extreme

GBK doesn't like blacks and jews. So what? They have riffs, they can't accomplish anything, I don't give a shit if they are "muh literall nazis". I would be willing to bet that you listen to several communist/anarchist bands, and don't care about their ideology.

>Also black metal is fun music
BM band tend to take themself's pretty seriously. Mayhem is actually a good example of a band that took themself VERY seriously, don't know how they are now though.

eh, I like expressing feelings through words. might sound faggy to you

>black metal is just for fun music, not extremism
nigga, fucking Mayhem alone took themselves way too seriously. In fact, ALL the second wave in black metal took themselves seriously with their extremism, at least in a beginning. Murder, church burnings, satanism and paganism, insulting christianity... being neo-nazis shouldn't be surprising at this point in black metal.

I just dont like political music at all. Its an aspect of music that just makes me tune out entirely. It harshes my mellow.

Sonically harsh is fine. It get me off, but idiologically stupid makes me feel like Im wasting my time and energy trying to ignore an underlying message.

because this is the best album i've ever heard

Really gets the frustrations out in the short term, and it is very enjoyable when you get into it. I am guessing you haven't listened to metal much.

I actually agree with you that politics and music shouldn't go together, but it does and it's good there's no reason not to listen to it.

In the case of Ulver, it's the beauty of it.
Even BM like Emperor and Immortal has beauty to it. But that's second wave.
I won't listen to Venom for beauty, just rage or incantation.

how can you say this but you listen to other metal? what about this is non musical for you?

just because it wont happen doesn't mean that that there are parts of the ideology that you really can't make solid arguments for and that are appaling

sometimes I have a difficulty separating artist/art and I don't think it always should be done (like I don't want to give monetary support to someone who wants to systematically kill or abolish a group of people cause of bad reasons) but the other ones you talked about, specifically the ideologies, are not akin to nazism that way. Of course the people could hold bad views but as usual it's a situational thing

I need music with a beat behind it, a lot of metal can be droning noise and feeing like it goes nowhere, I’m not white though so maybe I just don’t get it :)

>black metal
fuck off idiot

there doesnt need to be an argument made though, you're just attacking bands for their political stance and it goes nowhere because at the end of the day it shouldn't affect you, everything in this genre is meant to be appaling, its supposed to be extreme. i dont know why you still haven't wrapped your head around this concept

it didn't sound ''faggy'' at all, that guy is just a nigger.

someone isn't a full-time nazi for arts sake my fren
I'm not even sure you read the post you're replying to

There is no one forcing you to give bands like GBK your money, but if I wanna do it that's my business.
Communism is deffinitely just as bad as nazism, if not even worse. I don't even need to make an arguement for why Stalinism/Maoism is fucking terrible, but "libertarian/anarcho communism is pretty much equal as well, since it requiers you to kill every one who opposses you (capitalists/bourgeoisie) durring the revolution.

i did, but what difference does it make if they are a nazi in their personal life as well as projecting that in their music? they're still associated with the extreme image and i can't see why you think this is a problem

Because they're likely non-white or Jewish.

>There is no one forcing you to give bands like GBK your money, but if I wanna do it that's my business.
giving power to groups seeking to oppress really isn't just your business as it very much affects other people
>Communism is deffinitely just as bad as nazism, if not even worse.
please elaborate why you think this
>I don't even need to make an arguement for why Stalinism/Maoism is fucking terrible, but "libertarian/anarcho communism is pretty much equal as well, since it requiers you to kill every one who opposses you (capitalists/bourgeoisie) durring the revolution.
yeah stalinists and maoists are retarded but the rest I think is over-generalizing and it's not really that simple although this is not a discussion worth taking here, and again it's usually situational
kinda look at it this way, those above are fighting for an oppressed group to gain power, nazis are fighting for "i dont like these people pls kill"

now you're just confirming you actually haven't read since your exact question has already been brought up

why worry

>sometimes I have a difficulty separating artist/art
thats your own problem though, most people don't share this issue
>Of course the people could hold bad views but as usual it's a situational thing
so you get to dictate when an artist is allowed to have views that might offend you?
just dont listen to extreme genres if they're going to upset you, you fucking pussy

It's easiest to understand BM when you view the second-wave as a reaction to Thrash and Death Metal. The first-wave BM bands like Bathory and Celtic Frost were notorious for having raw production and consequently "sinister" vibes, thanks also to the naive occult lyricism. Later in the 80's and on into the 90's extreme bands started upping their production values, changing their lyrical content to fit more "mainstream" concerns (politics, mental health etc.) and altering their image. From that sprang new BM acts determined to regain what they saw to be the "essence" of Metal music (away from Thrash and Death acts, which were derisively termed "life metal" and the like), returning to harsh production and occult themes/imagery.

I fucking love Communists.

>WHITE PEOPLE ARE ALL NAZIS BORN INTO SIN KILL THEM ALL END WHITENESS! BRING ON THE REVOLUTION!
>h-hey woah, where are all these nazis coming from and why is our country more divided than ever?

HHHMMMMM.

>thats your own problem though, most people don't share this issue
.. followed by a reason for why I think so
>so you get to dictate when an artist is allowed to have views that might offend you?
>just dont listen to extreme genres if they're going to upset you, you fucking pussy
there's plenty non neo-nazi black metal
really just stop and read the posts again it's like you're just looking for something to get buttflustered by and pick random sentences out of context

>giving power to groups seeking to oppress really isn't just your business as it very much affects other people
You can apply that logic to every radical ideology

I'll try to be short and to the point since, as you said, Sup Forums isn't the place to discuss politics.

You are deffending ancoms through an ancom perspective here. I don't agree in the slightest that anarchists "fight for an oppressed group to gain power". Their objective is violently overthrowing capitalism, collectivising the means of production and ending property rights, and would kill those standing in their way in a revolution. Their ideology necessitates mass-murder and forcing the entire population to participate in their system, since anything other than communism is "exploitation" by definition to them. Commies themself of course describe that as "liberating the prolitariat".

Not to mention the fact that everytime such a revolution has been attempted it has ended in dictatorship (with a few exeptions like the communes during the spanish civil war, which got stomped out by fascists since anarchists aren't very good at organizing against massive armies) and that communism just is a shit ecominic system that denies basic realities of both human nature and economics.

great historical analysis

Cute doggo

best album