Talk with friends about films

>talk with friends about films
>call one that they like shit (they have shit taste)
>user you call every second movie shit
>go and give proper explanation
>zero rebuttal

Why do people think that if they like something it means that it's good? And then they can't even defend it beyond the point of "I liked it".

You sound like a really shitty friend. Don't change and you'll die alone some day.
>muh moviez is srs busnes

Stop being such a faggot OP, most people are fucking retarded, and if you want to keep them around to talk to, you'll hide this fact from yourself every day just to have some company.

>he thinks a movie is either good or shit, nothing else
>he thinks he can give proper critique on anything

hahaha, what a colossal faggot

>talk with friends about films
>say one that they like I'm not interested
>user why
>I just don't like it
>move on with Alfie

I have a friend and her dad's favorite movie is unironically I Am Sam.

The thing is, the dad is a photographer and apparently loves film. Somehow, his favorite film is I Am Sam. to be honest his pictures are even worse than I Am Sam. He's a particularly bad passport photographer

Tell us what you said op

you sound like an insufferable faggot OP

It's not everything about argumenting and acting like an asshole.

OP too scared to reveal his argument to us.

Is that from those shit buzzfeed comics?

Maybe you should kill yourself. There's nothing wrong with telling people they have shit taste.

How cucked and narcissistic must one be to encourage dishonesty for the sake of fee fees not getting hurt.

>Having a casual conversation
>"I thought X movie was good"
>"No, that movie is SHIT"
>"Well, I liked it"
>"NO, outline why it was good in a point-by-point basis so I can rebut you"

>hey user i like X movie
>i didnt really like that movie for X reason but i did like how it did x
>they can decide to give a counterpoint or just drop it

I'm shit at being social but talking about movies is easy.

The problem isn't if they like the movie or not. I don't give a fuck about that.
The shit comes when they say the movie is good or amazing and later they start to criticize you because "you didn't get it, that's why"

It happened to me yesterday with some dude saying Pompeii and World War Z were great films.

It just sounds like you're trying to win an argument and your ego is hurt when people don't agree with you.

And then you go on the internet to complain.

Boo Hoo

>they can't even defend it beyond the point of "I liked it"
It's because they rely on inherent emotional responses for critique and understanding, instead of conscious thought and reasoning. People are fucking plebs, and the posters ITT defending such people are the same.

This.

Why should they give a rebuttal? you are the one that said its crap, the burden is on you

>the burden is on you
>"go and give proper explanation"

>sitting around having fun with friends
>some autismo start going on and on about an action flick
>he stops talking half an hour later, looking very smug
>everyone is relieved he finally shut up
>autismo is confused that nobody wants to talk to him

Well you didn't convince them. So you're clearly shit at proving your point.

>nah man I give coherent and objective explanations and then get subjectively mad when people don't agree with me.

>also I have patrician taste in movies according to myself and it's impossible that I might have shit taste in movies myself

That's what you sound like.

>encourage dishonesty
Taste is not objective. I wouldn't try to convince my friend that a movie he likes is shit, at that point you're trying to convince your friend that has shit taste. Why? Why are you his friend if you don't like him so much? Either stop talking to him or learn to respect the guy.

Did they at any point express interest in your opinion? You clearly want to convince them, but do they give a shit?

>what do you mean you didn't like Jurassic world?!

Sounds like it went like this
>friend: Jurassic World was okay, I liked it
>OP: ACTUALLY IT'S SHIT, HERE'S WHY
>friend: well I liked it, so you can't really change that no matter what you say
>OP: EERRRRMMM WELL YOU JUST DON'T GET IT BECAUSE YOU HAVE SHIT TASTE
>friend: okay, go fuck yourself, asshole

>mike's face when

>Taste is not objective
I'll take things plebeians say for 500, Alex.

>ITT: HOW DARE YOU DISAGREE WITH YOUR FRIENDS? SOME OF US DONT EVEN HAVE FRIENDS YOU UNGRATEFUL CUNT REEEEE

uh oh, sounds like your "fee fees" are getting hurt by all of this honest criticism of your terrible social skills

Who makes a thread just to whine like this? Do you need an adult? Or did you think other esteemed cinephiles on Sup Forums would totally commiserate with your autistic problem?

>autismo

That's the name of my cat.

Also OP, people can like things without writing a thesis about it for you.

Ebin thred

>autismo film fag
>having friends to argue with

Pick one.

>Taste is not objective.

That kind of mindset is what's lead to the travesty of modern """art""".

People like you are disgusting. Yes, you can objectively measure standards.

Are the characters believable? Do the characters have an arc? Does the plot make sense? Does the film leave something to ponder on after your down? Do you learn something new from a second viewing?

If all of these questions are answered with a yes, then it's in all likelihood a pretty good film.

If some or more can only be answered with no, then it's absolute garbage and everyone that unironically likes it is scum, plain and simple.

Take for example on the one hand:

>STALKER
>Apocalypse Now
>Barry Lyndon

And on the other:

>the Avengers
>London has Fallen
>Now You See Me

If you disagree that one hand will give the viewer and objectively deeper and richer experience, than you're a complete moron whose opinions should be discarded.

>let people enjoy literally chugging human feces

You sound autistic. But I'm saying that as an insult, I knew a few autistic guys when I was in high school and they all acted like this with me or their friends, i.e they can't take social ques. I'm not trying to make you mad but you really should consider trying harder to recognize when you're fucking up a social interaction. When you're just have fun with friends you don't have to act like a big macho le Sup Forums edgelord and insult people. The way you described the conversation you had makes its seem like you for no good reason had to start interrogating your friend for liking something, and as you said "they have shit taste" means that you already know that they are going to like movies you don't. So why create and awkward situation where you seem like a angry manlet compensating for something. You may not recognize this as a significant problem but it'll basically slowly distance yourself from friends as they begin to regard you as the "guy who says everything is shit and argues about anything". You may not care but take my advice and know when to be nice to people, especially friends.

You fucking autist, even I'm not bothering to read all that. Go fuck yourself

Don't even pretend you'd even be able to formulate a retort you sniveling millennial fuckstain.

>m-muh eye of the beholder
>m-muh subjectivity

Kill yourself, you are worthless.

Sister's husband asks me if I liked Rogue One
>Tell him the plot felt contrived and meaningless and that the characters had no depth
>"They're not supposed to, they all die in the end!"
>Tell him that it's not an excuse and that the general lack of characterizarion makes their sacrifice feel unimportant
>"Haha whatever dude I bet you read that off the internet somewhere"

>Someone who obviously doesn't really care about film ask you what you thought of a current blockbuster to simply make conversation.
>You launch into a autistic explanation of why he is wrong.

While you may not like him or his "normie" opinions try to remember it's like a real life shitpost, if you respond seriously you lose.

What was I supposed to say, that I didn't like it because the main character was ugly? He's the one who kept pushing it insisting that it was a good movie.

>a autistic explanation of why he is wrong.
>a autistic

And no, telling someone exactly why they're wrong isn't autistic, it's simply honest and if people weren't generally retarded, they'd appreciate someone's honest opinion.

Seems to me like the guys sisters husbaned was a massive faggot who knew he was being wrecked and decided to end the conversation in an incredibly rude way.

People use "I liked x" and "x is good" interchangeablely, even though they mean different things. It's nothing to get upset about, just normie talk

Joke's on him, you didn't read that off the internet, you saw it in a youtube video

What, you think characters that have no depth evoke ANY emotion at all when dying?

Honestly can't say is that Sean Penn or the tall angel from the Preacher in op pic

Rogue One's plot was retarded. Why did the rebels wait til Main Character was an adult to try and kill Worst Dad, when he had already done the damage?

Were they planning to kill Robot Chicken Nigger? That was the implication of the "he's an extremist and he's making us, the other band of rebel terrorist extremist bombers, look bad" speech

If they weren't sure about the flaw in the Derpstar and didn't want to commit their fleet to it for fear of a trap (a reasonable fear on their part), why wouldn't the rebels send a covert ops team to go steal the plans (like the MC ended up doing)?

Once it became clear that the MC and a small band of idiots set out to go steal the plans, why did the Rebel council suddenly reverse their position of gridlock and decide that the best possible way to help was to attack the planet, thereby trapping the infiltrating agents on the planet?

If those tugboats could effortlessly smash star destroyers, why didn't they use them all along?

Why does the empire keep retiring super effect robots (like the rolly shielded robots of death, and the cool wise cracking sardonic ultra lethal IG88-tier super warriors we saw in Rogue One) and only keeping dumb ones like the mouse droids?

I don't even really have a problem with the specific scenes or events but fucking write a cohesive story, all you have to do is change a few things around during the storyboarding phase to make shit actually make sense, and you can still have the planet get nuked, and the black guy die, and a retarded space battle where the rebels (who are in the early stages of their rebellion) are woefully ill equipped to attack the Empire (who are at the height of their power). But hey, who fucking needs good writing when you can just forcefully market shit?

>an intelligent opinion about someone who is more "experienced" in cinema is somehow autistic

You are the kind of guy that care about "social norm" and what other people think about him that come to conclusions like this right?

>Someone who obviously doesn't really care about film ask you what you thought of a current blockbuster to simply make conversation

=

>someone engages a conversation with a specific topic then doesn't care / can't understand the viewpoint of the other person

Then maybe don't make a conversation in a topic where you can't contribute.

You are not right in any way just fucking limited.

ITT: Autists dont realize there is a time and place for everything

I felt kinda sad when the gay Asians died. The characters in the movie weren't deep, but they were (mostly) likable. Riz Ahmed is the one character I feel barely has a character and just sits around the whole movie.

Fpbp

This was the first time the Rebel fleet had been really utilized, I assume. I doubt the Empire was expecting them to be utilizing some of the most high-tech fighters (X-Wings) ever made. In the old lore, some corporation went rogue and that's why X-Wings are head and shoulders above the TIE Fighter.

Faggot restricts himself and don't say / do things in situations because "socially it's not appropriate". People who talked about it like are just more refined in films because they saw more or have minimal intelligence to see films from a different viewpoint then just a consumer who went to the cinema. These are not 30 minute long autistic rants just observations that some people can't comprehend. Like you can't comprehend the situation we are talking about.

>literal years ago
>banting around with mates
>browsing through movies on my hard drive
>"John Carter, what's that like?"
>it's decent, it's pretty fun, has some of the spirit of Star Wars in it
>"cool let's watch it"
>they didn't like it, thought it was boring
>to this day they use my lukewarm approval of John Carter as an excuse to slate any film recommendation I make

>talk about films with friend
>he 1:1 parrots RLM opinions
>he doesn't know I also watch RLM
>I never bring it up

It's not about whats appropriate, it's about not looking autistic. Even though most of the time you're probably right when talking to friends and family about film, you will inevitably look like an autistic loser.

I'm trying to tell you that even though you are CORRECT, you will look stupid and unsociable.

>have autism
>people call you out for being autistic
Doesn't matter if you're right, no one likes a fucking autist who can't stop to think before they speak.

Being right is literally the only thing that matters, the issue is that OP thinks his opinions are facts.

>Are the characters believable?

This is obviously subjective. My friend insists Joe Keller (All My Sons) is a believable character, I think he’s a trite amalgamation of cliches who has no place in the real world. Neither of us are wrong. His life experience has led him to believe in Joe.

>Do the characters have an arc?

Characters don’t need arcs. See: Nightcrawler.

>Does the plot make sense?

See: The Big Sleep, Inherent Vice

Does the film leave something to ponder on after your down?

Again, entirely subjective. One man watches E.T. and sees Hollywood schlock about a cuddly alien. Another man watches it and views it as an intimate portrayal of divorce’s effect on a child.

Do you learn something new from a second viewing?

Again, transparently subjective.

>STALKER
>Apocalypse Now
>Barry Lyndon

I got a chuckle from this. THE IM A BIG BOY MOVIES STARTER COLLECTION.

Put yourself in their shoes and try to see why you're not incorrect, but ultimately look autistic.

>Hey man did you like x movie?
>"It was SHIT"
>Ok man haha alright sure.
>"NO IT WAS SHIT, HERES A FEW REASONS WHY"
>No it's okay man we already know you didn't like the movie, we're fine
>"B-BUT ITS SHIT BECAUSE OF THINGS YOU ACTUALLY DO NOT CARE ABOUT"
>Okay man, you seem to not like discussing movies with us so we're not going to do it anymore
>*Actually goes onto Sup Forums to complain about it*

See how you will always look like the moron no matter how correct your opinions are?

You know, this is the difference between you and me then. I don't really care about what others think of me. You not understanding my point of view is confirming that you misinterpreted the situation in the post as well.

Strangely, I can talk with people in topics that I'm not as informed in as them, but if I have an opinion and the other person points out thing why I may be wrong then I take note and understand it and thing about it. It's called a meaningful conversation.
If someone is going to engage me in a conversation about my friends well liked movie The Avengers for example and call that good then not willing to rebute then I'm not going to sit in silence like a retard.

My friend simply can't understand that "I liked it" doesn't equal that it's good. There are movies that I know are medicore from an outside perspective and I can name the flaws yet still like them.

>every comment about OP is negative

if i was him i'd kill myself right now

So explain to me, if you know your friends "can't understand that "I liked it" doesn't equal that it's good" then why argue with them about it. I'm not saying you're banned from meaningful conversation but you're setting yourself up for failure here.

Think about it like this, instead of your friend telling you "I liked it therefore it's good" it's another user on Sup Forums, would you still respond with a list of reasons why it's good?

>I don't really care about what others think of me.
Words of someone who can't keep friends for very long and wonders why.

You do realize most of what RLM said is actually just generally observable and correct and in no way represents a deep reading unique to those critics?

"The characters aren't likeable. The story is garbage. The lead-ins to the sequel movie felt like pandering. CGI Tarkin and CGI Leia didn't look very good."

People who parrot RLM usually parrot the theories they make, not the obvious stuff.

It depends completely on what the desired effect of the film was and what their attitude towards it is.

Some people watch movies because they want to be distracted by something for a while. The whole "Turn your brain off" crowd wants an escape from their problems that allows them to think of something else for a while or just to have fun. Some people watch movies to get intellectually stimulated. I've enjoyed both the Avengers and Blade Runner, for example.

I'm going to guess that if you disagree with me, by now you've thought of some reason to say that "liking things just for fun" is a stupid reason (which brings to mind pic related), but consider the following: Every board on this site consists mostly of (shitposting not included) elitists trying to convince other people their taste is better or even objectively superior. Let's, for the sake of argument, say they're right.

This basically means that, for example, even though you like the car that you have, it fucking sucks according to /o/ because it isn't as effective as it potentially could be and as such you're wasting money. /sci/ would like a word with your life choices in regards to your education and maybe your career as well. /lit/ is laughing it's ass off because you don't read books (at the very least not the Correct Ones). I could go on.

Human beings sometimes just enjoy things that aren't perfect. They have flaws, but those particular flaws don't bother them all that much and as such they're fine with it. They focus on the things they like and get good at them. The rest doesn't matter all that much. Having an "I don't give a shit, it's ultimately just a work of fiction and it was a good time even if it could've been better" attitude is infinitely better than what you at least sound like right now.

I'm mad because you spent the good part of a minutes writing all that and the OP isn't going to even read it because just like his conversation with his friends, he can't possibly be wrong.

Because I knew him for 17 years and he always does this in various things. Because I know him I expect better of him.

My reasonal insights of why is something bad are always welcomed with a "lol you call everything shit" when I was asked about it in the first place. I don't encourage primitive thinking and me getting shat on without discussion.It's not like I'm trying to prove being right in that situation to you, I would just like to see if I can get my perspective over.

Don't get mad, it's just another autist on Sup Forums who can't come to terms with the fact no one wants to listen to his autism in person, so he comes to the best austict support group on the internet to reinforce his views.

If you've known him for 17 years, and you know he is going to be belligerent and not accept your arguments, why bother responding seriously?

At this point I'm only trying to offer you genuine advice, even though you are correct in every interaction with said friend, he still makes you look silly when you respond with serious arguments. I too have many friends that do the exact same thing, and instead of trying to fight them and come out on top, just simply brush it off. You don't have to suck them off and agree with everything they say but sometimes it's just better for both you and them to simply take a neutral stance.

In conclusion, stop arguing with a brick wall, you'll never convince it otherwise and you appear silly for arguing with a wall.

I honestly say you are right that anyone who argues with idiots lowers himself. In that sense I'm guilty.

Also remember 95% of people watching films aren't watching it to get anything other than entertainment. For most people, "I like it" is enough.

These people can't give you any other arguments because they don't have any, because that's the only criteria they have for a good movie.

>I would just like to see if I can get my perspective over.
See, your friend just enjoyed a film. He won't enjoy you explaining something about the film to him. He won't benefit in any way.

Think of it as seeing an exhibit at a museum. You know the artist and his previous work, you know whom he learned from and you know the techniques yourself. You can tell how he could've improved his paintings and you can tell where he made mistakes. You also know that a lot of the work is heavily inspired by his teacher and also inferior in such a way that you could even tell the specific paintings that he had in mind and how those are better.

Your friend just sees a cool painting, and it pleases his eyes. He comments on this, and now you unload unto him a shitton of information that he will never need or find useful. He isn't an art guy, he just wants to relax when he isn't focusing on what he specifically is interested in.

See what I mean?

But there was plenty of characterization, it was just subtle and wasn't force fed to the audience.

Take Saw for example, his introduction shows him as a younger, caring man who's a rebel fighter.
In your second introduction of him it's been established through exposition that the rebellion doesn't want to be associated with him due to his questionable methods, and you see that when he uses the creature to read the pilot's mind.
His legs are missing, he needs breathing assistance, and he's a lot more harsh and kind of dead inside by the time he meets jyn. Then, when the city gets glasses and they need to evac, he says to just leave him, for years of the battle of blurred lines has left his soul drained, and he welcomes the release, knowing that jyn is taking the torch. He has a few minutes of total screen time, but he's a much more fleshed out character than say qui gon.
The other characters were like that too, maybe you just weren't in the right head space to notice or appreciate when you saw it.

>who can't come to terms with the fact no one wants to listen to his autism in person
Wait, the only guy who was bothered by him not being listened is Did you just literally pull that out of your ass or something?

You're good at explaining shit, you've done what I've spent the last hour trying to do in one paragraph.

Nice one!

What are we going to do on the bed?

Remember it's a lot easier for people on here to write something off as shit and spam the same arguments they saw someone else post then actually analyse the film for themselves.

>give honest opinion on something
>OKAY THEN TELL ME HOW YOU REALLY FEEL

reeeeeeeeeeeee