Why are modern "rock" bands so afraid to wank their guitars?

Why are modern "rock" bands so afraid to wank their guitars?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wniXxeTJlyM
youtu.be/lmji113JJD4
youtube.com/watch?v=zt9X8eXboZ4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it’s boring

Explanation, please?

youtube.com/watch?v=wniXxeTJlyM

Well, that was... interesting.
Still doesn’t really explain your OP statement, though.

A lot of modern rock musicians look down on technical songwriting.

So it’s just a Chapman stick except it sounds like trash and is useless?

The problem is that it's considered "wanking" in the first place. You'd never call a jazz solo "wanking" or a Bach fugue "wanking" even though those are often very complex, fast and intricate. It's just more evidence that most people who listen to rock (really popular music in general actually) are much more interested in image than they are about music, and putting any value in musicianship at all (read: isn't immediately catchy) is entirely uncool.

>wank is inherently bad
*blocks your path*

Oh, well in that case, the main rock craze throughout this decade has mainly been lo-fi anything - lo-fi pop rock, lo-fi metal, you get the idea. This means that you get a lot of people that think technical rock music is pretentious putting out songs where they haplessly bang away at their guitars and then release it under the “lo-fi” label.
Of course, the other big trend of modern rock, math rock, sort of counters what you said by being very technical and requiring years of practice to perform. The end result, however, usually sounds like that video you posted, where it’s technical, yes, but it still sounds atonal and off-kilter.
Come to think of it, both of these trends are probably why rock hasn’t broken into the mainstream this decade, among other things.

That's because it's pseudo virtuosity.

>technical songwriting
Regressive songwriting is what it is.

You should listen to actually good complex rock music like this, and not metal manchildren noodling around aimlessly.
youtu.be/lmji113JJD4

Modern rock is lacking because the kids care about image and not the music.

rock has always been about the image you dumb cunt

Image is important, just look at sonic youth

Image and music aren't mutually exclusive. It's just that the kids of today are exclusively interested in looking/being cool. Few fucks are given towards doing something original, interesting or unique. They barely care about realising a good album thats a rehash of old shit. Its pathetic.

I don't discount that. But doesn't one make music to make something good? I mean i can tell the sonic youth cared about the music. Its a far cry from the contemporary scene.

A jazz solo could easily be considered wanking, that's what it is 90% of the time.

how about punk? punk was all image

dad rock shit like kiss and AC/DC was literally 100% image, their music was shit but they’re all millionaires now

Christgau is an awful critic and a giant cocksucker. I'd watch a thousand fantano reviews or read a thousand pitchfork reviews before reading any of his.

Nonsense punk was about expression and doing something different. My parents were punks in the 70s. These kids wanted something that was their own and not any hippy shit. Image is a part of thatnbut far from the whole. Also if you were into AC/DC you wouldn't day that, Bon Scott was a great singer they weren't the same after he died. I just don't think you know what your on about lad.

This

Why would you listen to music that isn’t catchy

sounds like shit.

>imfuckingplying
the sex pistols barely knew how to play their instruments and they were the og punks, plus AC/DC is hot garbage

they may have wanted something of their own but it was intentionally shitty music made to piss off everyone and everyone

Hmm, I unironically liked this. I don't browse this board, how shit is my taste?

Listen buddy your probably not really into rock idk. But this is stupid, why would people listen to music for its image. Thats dumb as hell, plenty of bands i don't like aesthetically or look wise. But I like their music. Just because YOU shit out and idea doesn't mean you're right or have any fucking clue what you're on about.

>AC/DC fans
>acting like they know anything
ok, no more (You)s for (You)

>the sex pistols barely knew how to play their instruments
You have no idea what you're talking about. Sid Vicious didn't, but the others in the band had experience.

youtube.com/watch?v=zt9X8eXboZ4

i liked behold... the arctopous in highschool so i've got a soft spot for em in my heart. this one is a classic

See you have no argument. Also why is it that if you say you like something suddenly your a 'fan', jesus this shit is dumb. You know you farted out a dumb idea, doesn't mean you have to stick with it..

johnny rotten couldn’t do shit, they didn’t even want him in the band

Just did some research into this, turns out 10 years ago this was a fail video and fucked their careers. My music taste must be fucked because I've just listened to an entire album of theirs.

go shit up some other thread soyboy

Man, only on this board do i get fags like you this mad when they can't back up their dumbassary. Shit is pathetic, i doubt you even like music.

probably not as much as you love soy

Hey i love soysauce what can I say? Still probably got more testosterone in my pinky finger than you've had in your body. For your entire life, Candy-ass bitch.

>I listen to boomer music and talk like a boomer on the internet, I’m not soy
top lol

Ru ok user? Lik may/b/ dere iz q place u can go 2 get help. Not get mad at Internet friend??

soy

>incomprehensible posts
that’s against the rules user, enjoy your ban

That's a big guitar

Look faggot, you said some dumb indefensible shit that you couldn't back up. Not owning up to that on a anonymous Chinese knitting fourm is a sign of very weak character. Now hows that for sounding like a boomer? Faggot.

Why is it that technical guitar music has come to mean this trash tone and goofy "doodleoop, doodlyboop" rhythm?

For you

reported for being a soy munching beta cuck

Le reported to daddy Sup Forums.
>da man wus bad 2 me, plz mk stop

Funny thing is I'm actually 12 years old.

Nah I like Christgau

I believe it

>i don't like their music so they must be entirely image
jesus you're a moron

hello samefag

theorists will defend this