Is this worth watching on ANY level? I'm kind of curious about it all the sudden

Is this worth watching on ANY level? I'm kind of curious about it all the sudden.

If not how about the Total Recall remake?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Vpj6Yotdxtg
youtube.com/watch?v=FRgPiVVyxpQ
youtube.com/watch?v=kbcoOqGKFi8
ourrobocopremake.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Troopers_(OVA)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I really liked it

>If not how about the Total Recall remake?
not as good or memorable

Robocop - good flick, that's all.

>On ANY level

It's got nu-Robocop vs nu-Nightmare on Elm Street Freddy

There, done

>Robocop remake
>Total Recall remake

Terrible generic remakes of movies made by Paul Verhoeven, a director who was anything but generic.
I wouldn't recommend.

I'm a mega pleb who loves Marvel movies and holy shit, it's so boring.

Pull the stick out, shithead

robocop is shit. TR is fine if you like sci.fi

Take that back. Now.

mind numbingly generic and the villain is fucking terrible.

watch better movies, retard

Your mom's a retard, retard

Watch if free.

Like almost all remakes they're only really interested in the name recognition. Neither movies will have franchise potential, but I think they knew that when they saw the reviews.

There was exactly one scene which added something upon the original film.
It shows Robocop stripped of all armor, limbs, and everything. Just a brain and crucial internal organs suspended in a lab. It really explicitly showed how little of him remained human. The fx of the original wouldn't have allowed for such convincing scene.

Bonus scene: If you are a native of Detroit, they actually filmed some of it on location, which was cool to recognize. The OG version was not actually anywhere near Detroit, despite it being crucial to the plot.

Otherwise, completely empty. Even Acting Motherfucker was forgettable. He didn't even get to say Motherfucker.

>If you are a native of Detroit
Naw I'm white

I liked it. Though you can tell director wanted to have a more brutal movie but they did not let him.

So are most Detroit natives, retard

This. It was an interesting and powerful scene as he sees himself properly

Wrong

The original Robocop is about a dead guy brought back to life as a cyborg. The remake is about a guy who gets augmented after being horribly wounded. One might brush this off as autistic nitpicking, but it really changes the tone of the movie.

That scene was pretty dope, and further illustrates the difference. In the original Robocop, Murphy goes through a process of discovery about who he was. In the remake, he makes a conscious decision to divorce himself from his family, to spare them the anguish of seeing what he has become.

It's not too bad actually. Being a huge fan of the original I had very low expectations before watching it and seeing the trailers convinced me it would be shit.

To my surprise though, it is a decent flick that stands up pretty well on its own. It doesn't try too hard to rip off the old movies and actually has some pretty interesting concepts. Worth watching at least once imo.

its not bad. it isnt good, but it had some interesting ideas. some of the updated technology was interesting, (Robocop has a link to Security cameras all over the city, he has AR that lets him reconstruct a crime scene virtually, OCP has a remote kill switch on him that can deactivate him remotely)

the human hand, while stupid, did serve a purpose in-story, which was less a critique of unchecked corporatism and privatization of public entities, and more a commentary on drone warfare. Robocop is OCP's way to bypass drone laws that prohibit OCP's drones and robots from patrolling American streets like they do in middle eastern countries.

he has a human face, brain, AND a human hand. So its not a machine pulling the trigger, it's a human pulling the trigger. even though they clearly mention that in reality he is not in control, the robot AI portion attached to his brain makes all the decisions in the heat of battle, and tricks his brain into thinking he pulled the trigger

also he was made in china.

youtube.com/watch?v=Vpj6Yotdxtg

which was also clever.

Came here to post this. Almost literally word for word. Are you me?

Original actually wasn't meant to be cyborg, human brain was simply put as a processor.
Remake IS about cyborg though.
Also one is very slow, other is pretty agile and fast. One is travel in the ordinary police car, other in a proper motorcycle.

Yes, it's like Karate Kid remake in which he was though actually a Kung Fu.

I liked both Robocop.

Also Samuel L Jackson's character introduction was remaked IRL by week news show Dmitri Kiselev on Russia 1

It's alright, lacks the grit of the original, of course.

The Total Recall """remake""" is fine taken as an entirely separate sci-fi. Really, the only thing it has from the original movie is the name. (They don't even go to Mars.)

Neither is great though. They're fine if you're just thirsty for some generic sci-fi.

>Joel Kínoman

Wrong

I thought this movie was just good enough to be a disappointment on its own terms. It's fairly mediocre but there's enough good in it that you can see a genuinely good remake in there that wasn't delivered on.

Right

It has a scene where Hocus Pocus is played for no fucking reason what so ever

The remake is good for today's standards. The best thing about it is the dehumanization of murphy because he is not good as a machine, and ofc when he is without his enhancements. The rest is subpar.
The original is a masterpiece, nothing to talk about

this

the remake had some very interesting ideas (and one superbly made scene, other user mentioned it), but it failed to deliver on them in the end.

Total Remake is fucking terrible

Avoid

But it has Biel AND Beckinsale in it

I saw it but i don't remember a single thing about it.

Literally the only reason to watch, and if I want to jack off I can just look at promotional stills for the movie.

Here's the one good scene from the remake

There, you don't need to watch it anymore

How the fuck did a movie with Gary Oldman, Michael Keaton, and Samuel L. Jackson manage to suck so fucking much?

Wasn't it PG-13 lol

This is legitimately fucking great. Too bad the rest of the movie is shit.
Bad writing, shit direction. It's especially obvious in the news scenes with Jackson, it's all really amateur, like they didn't know what tone to go for.

youtube.com/watch?v=FRgPiVVyxpQ
Go to 1:11

It has Samuel L Jackson playing Bill O'Reilly, which is really fucking surreal,

i don't remember her being in the movie, keke

Remake of Robocop is the one of the few successful ones out there. You should watch, user. I didn't like remake of "Total Recall", but I would be good idea to marathon on watching both the original & remaked one.

They made a woman into a nigger (male).

Kate even took her to the Underworld set and had her dress like Kates character.

>The original is a masterpiece, nothing to talk about
If the original is a masterpiece (I agree) why remake it, why not make something original or remake a shitty movie instead, what's the point of remaking good iconic movies and end up with something subpar?

why even bother with the one hand?

let me guess, they use that "gun only activates with owner's fingerprint" thing

i know that

Not really. It's a terrible movie and a terrible remake. Boring and doesn't even work as a mediocre pleb buster diversion. Just dead in the water. There is one really good scene in it though. The poor production values let it down a bit, but it's still effective. Everyone who has seen the film knows what scene I'm talking about, but I won't spoil it in case you decide to give it a shot.

Go to bed Lily

Oh and the Total Recall remake is even worse. Boring as hell and looooong. Two 10/10 asses cat fighting in the film with no ass shots.

No, its a loophole to get around a law prohibiting law enforcement robots from using guns, all guns must be fired by human hands.

The main plot of the movie is that OCP wants to put automated drones on US streets but they are continually blocked by congress who don't think a robot is suited for decision making, so when murphy gets semi-fragged they rebuild him as their loophole, he's a human with a living brain making the decisions and a living hand on the trigger.

What congress doesn't know is that Alex is essentially just a passenger in his new body at the whim of OCP, at least at the outset.

aw, shit. is the movie secretly drone propaganda or something?

the only remakekino worth watching
youtube.com/watch?v=kbcoOqGKFi8

It is a terrible Robocop movie. It's an okay action movie.

The only redeeming quality it has is the body horror. The scene where Murphy asks to see what's left of himself is horrifying.

Anti-drone propaganda.

Which makes it sound way more interesting than it is.

well the opening of the movie sees Ed-209s in bumfuckistan killing towelheads and a kid runs out into the streets with a knife after his father and pals attack the drones doing patrol and gets gibbed.

ITT: Everyone citing the same exact scene.

Shame they didn't decide to go that route with the film. Wonder if that was a left over from the Aronofsky draft.

That's not a remake.

Watch this instead if you love the original:
ourrobocopremake.com/

You can still watch it and it has is moments but for the most part it is a wet blanket of a film.

Len Wiseman is as generic as it gets

Padhilla on the other hand was a surprisingly fitting choice, not unlike Verhoeven, but he was fucked over by the studio

They're going to do Starship Troopers and have a Trump analogue aren't they?

Jesus Christ. Just fucking kill me at that point.

The scene where he sees what's left of himself is really good.

I don't know that Padilha was the right choice for Robocop. At least not if you wanted something more akin to the original. Definitely an interesting choice. It's more frustrating that they chose him because you can see the stuff in the film that he was trying to do and also how neutered it was. Almost would have preferred a lazy hack.

Would have been nice to see Boomclap direct from a Charlie Brooker and Mike Judge script.

You are making me depressed user.

What made Starship troopers so good was that the writer and Paul Verhoven had different interpretations of the script, making it semi-satire and semi-serious. Also the fact the bug designs are top notch.

However, if they are going to remake it, I hope we get to see the Marauder suits faster.

>They're going to do Starship Troopers
Oh for fuck sake, I watched that in the cinema.

>The Total Recall """remake""" is fine taken as an entirely separate sci-fi. Really, the only thing it has from the original movie is the name. (They don't even go to Mars.)

Or, you know, as another adaptation of the book that decides to go another way in adapting it, as opposed to calling it a remake when it isn't one.

I appreciate both of them for different parts.

But what if you have a qt fiance user? Don't be selfish.

The Total Recall remake is a remake. It's based on the original film and has very little to do with the book.

Also they could have just remade the original - the original script was meant to star a nebbish everyman loser type, not an Arnie superman.

That alone would have been better than what we got.

Pictures, please.

>If not how about the Total Recall remake?
>Is this worth watching on ANY level?
no and no

The same producer that did the Robo remake literally has the rights to Starship Troopers as well. However since both the Total Recall and Robocop remakes failed it probably won't happen....at least for a while.

The remake is closely modeled on the original film story and character wise and not like the book. Which is a shame. Same goes for Let Me In. The original book was great on it's own terms and significantly different from the original film.

See also; The Running Man and Blade Runner - both books would make excellent movies and not be at all like the films, but you'd get to use the same titles.

>book
There is no book. The story Total Recall is based on is like 8 pages long.

There's an interesting parallel because just like Paul he has been called a fascist by stupid critics despite being an obvious leftist. Non-PC ideological ambiguity. In a way Tropa de Elite is quite similar to original RoboCop, without the scifi elements, it's the same theme.
But he had to water his shit down.

"I wanted to make a film that is passed into the near future. Now the Aronofsky's script was going 3000 years in the future when humanity would have lost the notion of morality and the only place wherein could recover this concept was in the RoboCop program. It has nothing to do with what I wanted, so I did not even read the script."
—Padilha, on Darren Aronofsky's script.[6]

Before starting filming, Brazilian director Fernando Meirelles revealed that Padilha called him to admit he was having "the worst experience of his life" and "for every ten ideas he has, nine are cut". Padilha, according to Meirelles, says, "It's hell here. The film will be good, but I have never suffered so much and I don't want to do it again".[44]

I wouldn't mind a new Starship Troopers that is actually a somewhat straight adaptation instead of the whole satire/propaganda thing. But then people would complain about how they've ripped off Iron Man or something.

>Or, you know, as another adaptation of the book that decides to go another way in adapting it, as opposed to calling it a remake when it isn't one.
Which it isn't, the Total Recall remake is a remake of the Paul Verhoeven film, which is an adaptation of the Philip K Dick short story "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale", the protagonist's name in the short story is Douglas Quail, in the Paul Verhoeven film is Douglas Quaid the same in the remake.

Well...the politics between the original Elite Squad and sequel feel somewhat schizophrenic.

Fuck the plebs, I want my straight adaptation damn it.

Speaking of adaptations of the book, is the anime OVA any good?

I just watch it for the first scene with Iran under American liberation and freedom.

Can't wait for round two.

It's a really good movie but doesn't have an amazing astonishing explosive climax at the end and the made plebs dislikes who usually watches marvel movies

Director is Jose Padilha, a Brazilian who did Narcos too

Also - you can watch the Elite Squad sequel and see why they chose him for Robocop, but it's angry and sincere - not the detached humor and gleeful perversity someone like Verhoeven and Neumeir brought to Robocop. Both Aronofsky and Padhila could have done something very interesting if they had been given lower budgets and free reign. Aronofsky would have been even further removed from the content than Padhila.

But I don't think the studio was ever going to allow anything interesting or worth watching to be made.

>the anime OVA
WHAT?!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Troopers_(OVA)

Fuck. Has Aronofsky's script ever been leaked? I want to read it so bad.

>1 dealing with the parasites at the bottom (street thugs), seen as meaningless and ineffective because they're consequences rather than causes
>2 dealing with the parasites at the top (corrupt politicians), seen as hopeless because it's an endless battle
I don't know, I thought 2 was the logical follow-up, just a lot less subtle. The cause/consequence thing was not spelled out in 1, it was just focusing on soldiers having to deal with the reality of a battleground, but just like in most war movies, you know orders are absurd and the real issues always come from above.

Supposedly they were down with Aronofsky's script and were ready to go but they wouldn't budge on the pg-13 rating and that's what made him bail.

>released in 1988
Holy shit, I didn't know, thanks user-kun.

>Holy shit
meh

>meh

Carpenter is a big cry-baby though

Keaton is good villain as always
Sam Jackson plays Morgan Freeman and is annoying as always
RoboSoldiers in the intro are great
Robo spine and hand is freaky
shootout in dark room is crap
familydrama is crap
partner Lewis gender-race swaped is crap idea

overall: meh, mediocre

Carpenter is an auteur, and he gave all he had when he made his adaptation of the story, feeling hurt is sign that he cares for what he does, besides there is no connection with what I said, Carpenter didn't remake The Thing from another world.

More profound than I expected for a summer action remake.

The RoboCop remake is irredeemably bad
I didn't see Total Recall remake

You probably think an empty fishbowl is profound, you fucking moron.