/film/ general

Back after a pretty good thread about directors.

To set a new one off: What are some of the recent /film/'s you saw and liked? Rec's?

As always in /film/general: fuck off plebs, you have the rest of the board for yourselves.
Discussion and quality are most appreciated here.

I finally checked Nymphomania this month and found it's lenght entirely justified. I especcially enjoyed the part about Bach (which was also in Tarkovsky's Solaris)

Samsara by Fricke was a mezmerizing film, allthough sometimes somewhat heavy handed in message. Absolutly beautifull overall tho. That aesthetic.

Waltz with Bashir - Folman. Nice style, liked it, but wouldn't rate it very high

Medea - Pasonlini. I watched this because i read Medea, then read a book about Medea (and tragedies), then watched Von Trier's Medea and my favourite work by Mucha happens to be Medea. I'm biased. What did other anons think?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0fLeBNaC9Kg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

you chose the worst pic to start this thread OP

I watched Paradise Now, pretty good. What does /film/ think of it?

good goy don't you like some "classic" movies to feel pretentious about it

this, all it does is spawn shitposting

Also I want /kubrick/ and /lynch/ generals on /film/, and if I don't get what I want, I'll spam /nolan/ and /snyder/ threads every day.

I been watching some of Bernardo Bertolucci films like The Dreamers, Tango in Paris and Stealing Beauty and I like most of them.

What else is worth watching by him?

Saw Far from the madding crowd last night. Extremely comfy and heartwarming, but i felt some pacing issues. It shoud've been longer and more fleshed out, or shorter and more concise, it's kinda in an awkward middle ground, but other than that it's great. 7/10

Rewatched some frank Capra films and was surprised at how much I liked them, I expected the films to age terribly. All his films are pretty cathartic experiences for me, he knows how to create the perfect tone and let it dictate the movie. It kinda sucks that if he was a director today, a lot of people would consider his films to be cheesy and lame

The Last Emperor of course.

Time to get red-pilled user

Who else /Leone/ here?

Il Conformista, one of his best and one of the most visually stunning films of all time.

Thanks I'll check those out.

Has anyone seen this? I saw it for the first time a month ago and I still think about it. I really don't get the whole hate on Dolan meme, but then this is the only film of his I've seen.

Yes, the music is absolutely perfect in this film. The dream sequence is by far the highlight of the movie, it honestly made me tear up, it was pretty emotional. It's solid 8-9/10 film, too bad all of dolan's other films are shit compared to Mommy

j'ai tue ma mere is pretty impressive, what are you talking about?

Rank them.

>What are some of the recent /film/'s you saw and liked? Rec's?
A Talking Cat!?! (2013, DeCoteau)

Why do redditors always fuck up serious discussion

Is lady Anne Hathaway /film/? Her performance is Les Miserables is literally one of the best I've seen recently.

Tark > Godard = Berg > Fellini = Kurosawa

capekino man>stalin>jonah hill>french guy>kim jong il>woody allen

She's great in rachel getting married, really underrated film

Kurosawa (by far) > Bergman > Tarkovsky (wish he made more) > Fellini (close to Tarkovsky though) > Godard

bergman
Fellini
Tarkovsky

(Power gap)

Kurosawa
Godard

>mezmerizing
>Pasonlini

I recently watched Skjoldbjærg's Insomnia and really enjoyed it. I thought the focus on the protagonist's mental instead of the actual murder was interesting. Has anyone else seen it? Thoughts?
Bergman > Godard > Tarkovsky > Fellini > Kurosawa

>fuck of plebs
>this thread is for advanced debatery and discussionism
>whole thread is one sentence posts and lists
>basically a pleb circlejerk of snowflakes who want to feel superior to the rest of the board

lel

I enjoy her flicks like Ella Enchanted.

>protagonist's mental instead
fuck I meant mental state

Can you contribute?

Godard > Bergman > Tarkovsky > Kurosawa > Fellini > Snyder

Then again...

Can you by not making something so shit?

Bergman > Kurosawa = Tark > Fellini > Godard

They're all fantastic desu, but me being a swede I think I can understand Bergmans films much better. They speak to me in a different way.

I have seen the Nolan remake and thought it was okay desu. Is the original much better?

I didn't make anything, i'm not op. Can you contribute?

I haven't seen Nolan's remake so I unfortunately can't compare them.

Too soon

I liked Nolan's Kinopiece more.

Thoughts on Tsai Ming-Liang? Best film?

I'm currently trying to get more familiar with important foreign directors (Antonioni, Kieslovski, Bresson, Fellini, Fassbinder etc)
Does anyone have more recs of directors and what films I should check out? Thanks

Can you by not making something so shit?
I'm not op either, what a thing huh

"The Double Life of Veronique" is very good, I'd start there for Kielowski

Tarr, Leone, Melville, Carné, Renoir, Corbucci, Lang
Hope this helps.

Best. Film. Ever.

Not even kidding.

You're kidding yourself, kid

What does /film/ think of Vincente Minnelli?

actually, you're a pleb, pleb.

It's pretty good. Although the acting (i e. that teenage girl) is a bit weak. As someone who grew up even further North than Tromsö I'd say the movie brilliantly captures how it feels during 24/7 Sunlight.

Skjoldbjærg's Nokas is also pretty good, but I wouldn't bother with any of the other movies he has made

this thread is ass, even /lbg/ is better desu

Let's see if /film/ can pass a simple test.

What did you think of Kynodontas?

>Kynodontas?

moar liek Kino Don't, amirite

>Best.Film.Ever.
>Not even kidding
This reddit-like creature then tries to call anyone else pleb

From Antonioni check out the trilogy, i don't care much for Red desert and Blow up, but they're popular so you might like them

From Bresson check Au hasard balthazar, Mouchette and Diary of a country priest. if you like those, check out all his other films, he never made a bad one

Fellini's got a lot of mediocre-to-bad, check out the greats like La dolce vita, Otto e mezzo and La Strada

Kieslowski also start with the trilogy, then Double Life of Veronique and Dekalog

What's your endgame here? Free bumps?

just state what you think about it.

shit

Seen it. One of my all-time favorites. Absolutely wonderful. I'm planning on watching the Three Colors trilogy soon and at some point the Dekalogue

I'll check out Corbucci and Carne. Melville, I'm pretty familiar with. Le Samourai is very good. I've seen two of Tarr's movies (Damnation and Wreckmeister Harmonies) and I don't think he's for me. I've seen a bunch of Leone's movies, so I am pretty familiar with him too and as for Renoir and Lang, I've only seen one from each (The Grand Illusion and M). I want to see Metropolis and The Rules of the Game next.
Anyway, thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Tarkovsky = virtuosity, experimental. In Zerkalo he showed the nature, the way film sequences are bound together in a deep psychological level. This is basically the movie that puts an end of sorts to traditional moviemaking, by submitting it's own limited filmmaking scope to Tarkovsky's Bergmanian and Derenian vision. In Zerkalo, he masters editing.

Godard: perhaps one of the grandfathers of independent cinema, giving jobs to many then unemployed directors and actors.

Fellini: probably an influence on dramas, nothing too spetacularly unaccessible, but he also really dived into post modernism and surrealism at times.

Kurosawa: perhaps more of a stage director than a film one, author of really entertaining and well made stories.

Bergman: Kurosawa, but utilizing of dramas and heavy character work instead. Agony, expressivity inherited from 19th century theatre, stretched to almost borderline charicature. Massively influential in that aspect, probably one of the best actors directors ever.

Snyder: stylish visuals, doesn't hold back. Like Verhoeven before him he comes to bring some new ingredients to a perhaps stagnant blockbusters scene. An alternative pick is always welcomed, even though big movies are not really my forte.

>reddit false flagging by calling me reddit

your tricks are not working on me, reddit.

is Kieslowski the only director where most people recommend starting with his final films rather than his first (or first important ones)?

Yes, at least /lbg/ is past the phase of playing the I'M A CINEPHILE XD card.
Meanwhile every time one of these /film/ threads pop up, with resolutions of bravery against the board's nature, it's always the same soon-to-be-dead chanting.

on a scale of one to ten, how much would you rate it?

See I agree with alot of what he's saying but I still love watching violence and sex in films.

Pic related is post apocalypse kino. Better than the Road imo.

Godard > Tarkovsky > Kurosawa > Bergman > Fellini

ALL ARE ENTRY-LEVEL TRASH THO DESU SENPAI BAKA

pic related is his best

I've recently seen Elena (2012) and Knight of cups, both recommended right-wing viewings

it's actually a 0

Ingmar Bergman

oh

since you were close you get a second chance.

On a scale of one to ten, how much would you rate The Fountain?

Kynodontas is great

on a scale of one to ten, how ironic is your post?

I haven't seen it sorry

>Knight of cups
>Right wing

What?

Samsara I found to be far too heavy handed. it goes from just basically portraying human beauty alongside artificiality to straight up becoming a liberal propogana thesis. Pretty lame in my opinion. The first 45 minutes were incredible though. I will for sure see Baraka as soon as I can.

Waltz with Bashir I found to be moving in the most perfect way it should have been. Nothing watered down, no narrative moral, nothing digestible. Just the pure unimaginable and extravagant horrors of war from beginning to end, and the unbearable toll it takes on the human psyche. Truly horrifying, and more necessary than any other film I've ever seen. A legitimate masterpiece.

Recently I just rewatched Terminator after arguing with plebs in a thread yesterday about how it far exceeds Terminator 2 in both action and visual storytelling. And fuck me I was right on both accounts. Incredible cinematography with impeccable action choreography and
Editing. I almost wish I was watching on my computer and not a TV so I could save screenshots and a few WEBMs

Not at all. Kynodontas is great, one of the best films of the decade

We desperately need a /film/ board.

Please Hiro, please.

Make the move in 2017.

After seeing Fanny and Alexander it kills me knowing I'll never see a Bergman stage production
People almost always recommend his 50-60s work, which is his early stuff. I can't imagine someone telling person to watch Autumn Sonata, Scenes from a Marriage, and Fanny and Alexander before Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, and Persona

shit/10

Pay denbts.

Who's this 'we'?

Recently watched Buffalo 66 and it was phenomenal. highly recommended.

youtube.com/watch?v=0fLeBNaC9Kg

I've frequently seen people suggest to start with Fanny and Alexander

Those people are morons. It's his Magnum Opus and people should at least see 2 of his early films before heading into it

Knight of cups is about a cis white male going around screwing women; not only it triggers the lefties but it's a hedonistic voyage through a rich man's life who finds his meaning in God, this is all seen through a positive and non-critical light, pretty conservative if you ask me.

Elena is one of the few films if not the only film I've ever seen that portrays the lower class as the villains.

this is now a thread about joe rogan

You're a retard

Okay then.

It seems you manage to watch another film also call Knight of cups.

I'm firmly convinced that my reading of the film is correct, to me it seemed like a modern retelling of Huysman's Au rebours (if you don't know it, google it).

But please tell me about how I'm supposedly retarded and what you, surely much more versed than someone who's watched 5000 films and has read plenty of books, think about the movie.

THE DICKS ARE OUT

>posts a meme pic
You guys are so far up your own ass its why you'll never get /film/ and you don't deserve it

An autobiographical meditation on vice vs. virtue, carnal pleasures vs spiritual love, money vs poetry, from a deeply Christian philosophy erudite from Texas, who has struggled with finding his place in the Jewified degenerate capital and is still crying everyday about his suicidial mariachi brother and harsh father. Experimental editing to evoke fragments of memories, intimate thoughts as prayers or confessions to evoke universal feelings, interweaving the micro and the macro. Just like tree of life opened with a story about nature vs grace, the pearl parable is about this constant struggle and quest to be a better man in this meaningless world; the pearl is the light (thin red line), the grace (tol), the wonder (to the wonder)
Terry admits in this flick that he's too fascinated with beauty, as he views it as the closest thing we wingless beasts have to reaching heaven; even though beauty is really the devil's temptation to make us shallow. He's a sinner and a hypocrite and he knows it. Bums and cripples are ugly and he knows they don't really belong alongside his perfume ads aestheticsand Hollywood actors. He knows Hollywood is Jewish hell but he still stays there and accepts their money because he loves shooting pretty Jewish actresses and their feetsies. He knows its a real struggle. It's an admission of guilt

>tfw you want to follow the way of Grace but Nature keeps pulling you back down
>tfw you want to be brought back to the Wonder but the Wonder is forever fleeting
>tfw the only way to be happy is to love, but love brings more pain than happiness
>tfw you'll never find the pearl
>tfw you wanna be like the monk but are closer to the pimp
>tfw you're a dog chasing a tennis ball in a swimming pool
>tfw Hershlag will never tell you to open your mouth

Begin

Technically you're not wrong, but interpretatively you're a retard for adding such a political property to it. It's about a broken man looking for meaning and connection, it's not as religious as Malick fans tend to think. The fact that you said "cis white male" and "not only it triggers the lefties" conviced me you're a retard alone

the thread this is copypasta'd from is actually really good, but it in no ways disproves, if anything it reaffirms my statement

I'm not wrong, period. You obviously don't know about the debate going around it, this is not what I am saying, but what they're saying, just google Night of cups misogyny

>an assassination gets caught on FILM in high quality
>it's a meme

I guess documentaries aren't films either right?

Nice try. This still is a deeply stupid meme way to try to make a serious thread.

>BRUCE

>gets BTFO
>"h-hehe n-nice try"

Exquisite.

L'Embassadeur is so KINO it eternalized itself as a Sup Forums classic immediately after its first screening. Tell me with all honesty, how many KINOs can achieve such feat?

Because its makes you insecure that it might turn out like /lit/ or old Sup Forumss film half?
the former wont happen so don't worry about that

Butt blasted rusky detected