Why has nobody made a good film about the life and death of Socrates?

Why has nobody made a good film about the life and death of Socrates?

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/01/08/university-students-demand-philosophers-including-plato-kant/
lathropithikia.wordpress.com/2016/11/18/proof-that-blond-greeks-are-100-the-children-of-ancient-greeks/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Good idea. I'll do that.

>implying it wouldn't somehow turn into leftist propaganda

holy shit i was just thinking of writing something about this yesterday

i think people just don't care about ancient greece beyond the pleb myth bullshit. but then you guys go around calling their philosophers pleb bullshit too

it's your fault

Bertolicci or some other old Italian fuck did one in the 70s. It's on criterion collection and is good

It's call "socrates"

Was Socrates natty?

YOU'RE 10,000 YEARS TOO EARLY TO FACE ME

>when you're so right wing that everything you disagree with is left

Has any movie been placed before the 1900s that wasn't about war or some kind of love story?

Seriously, I don't think any audience of any time period would of been able to handle the trail of socrates in mass, and I would hate to see what a studio would do to make it appeal to them.

Socrates was not only ripped, he was FUCKING ripped. Pretty much every Greek philosopher, poet, tragedian, and so on would have been, because they were all adult male citizens, and either had to fight in the army or (later) row in the fleet. Or both.

People underestimate the level of physical exertion these things required. These guys worked out EVERY day. They worked out so much that they actually liked working out. They lived to work out. Their entire leisure time was composed of working out and getting gay over how hot their bods were in the balmy Mediterranean sun. The first ten fucking pages in Plato's FIRST dialogue have Socrates lusting over a teenager's sweaty, manly pecs through his toga. Socrates likens himself to a lion that is about to gobble up its prey. He can barely control himself. That is how the Western philosophical tradition starts: homoerotic lust for ripped abs. When Alcibiades, the manliest man in history, bursts into the famous drinking party, at which the guests are discussing the urbane topic of Love, it is to ask Socrates why he never fucked him in the ass when they cuddled. You know how the dialogue ends? Socrates goes to the gym and works out.

(1/2)

Modern recreations and reconstructions have not even succeeded in duplicating the physical feats reported of the Athenian soldiery - that is, the Athenian citizenry. Often, modern historians doubt that these feats are even being accurately reported, for instance the straight dash of the Athenian army across the entire field at Marathon. This is because modern athletes and bodybuilders can't even do these things, even with relatively light gear compared to what the Athenians actually carried. It took a team of Olympic master rowers to even APPROXIMATE the sailing techniques of the Athenian fleet, outside of combat conditions, on a placid sea. The entire Athenian fleet was regularly capable of these maneuvers, season after season, year after year, campaign after campaign. The sole engine of these maneuvers was muscle. Raw, sweaty, heaving Athenian muscle. Athenian men were the envy of the Aegean.

It is understandable that modern historians, coming from a society of flabby, skinnyfat wimps, are unable to comprehend the sheer manliness of Athens. Socrates saved Alciabiades in a hoplite battle in the Peloponnesian War. Aeschylus, the tragic poet, fought at Marathon. And all of them worked out and fucked ass, at every moment they weren't literally inventing Western civilisation.

(2/2)

No capes.

Socrates deserved it
>Go up to poor fisherman trying to get by
>Hey man do you think you're smart?
>Uhhh I guess so Socrates, why do you ask?
>HAHAHAHA THE ONLY THING I KNOW IS THAT I KNOW NOTHING THEREFORE I AM SMARTER THAN YOU HAHAHA
>Haha...ok Socrates
>Teach kids to rebel against the gods and the city
>Socrates you have to stop doing this
>No.basrelief
>You have to die now
>Why do they persecute me so?
Fuck Socrates

Because he is a white male

>University students demand philosophers such as Plato and Kant are removed from syllabus because they are white

telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/01/08/university-students-demand-philosophers-including-plato-kant/

Because jews don't care about goy culture.

Was Plato the original shitposter?

lmao he was offered to be saved if he just retracted his words.

That takes balls.

That's literally the state of the left these days. Progressives have ruined it. If you're not one of them you're the alt-right in their eyes

>Greeks
>white

maybe DC can do it

Westerns

Rossellini did.

it's before Turks invaded and blacked them, back when Greeks were Aryan looking.

>Progressives have ruined it.
As a person who is left-wing, they really are just a vocal minority. Most leftists don't want to castrate white males on sight and in fact, far-leftists often accuse certain forms of identity politics of being divisive.

>Greeks were Aryan looking

WE

Ancient Greeks, modern Greeks are shitskins.

who should play socrates?

It would be more kino if it focused exclusively on his trial, perhaps with flashbacks.

WUZ

They were never Aryan looking you shit, people from the Mediterranean are just darker because of the climate.

Agreed I completely understand they are the vocal minority but you must realised by now they have been slowly destroying the left's power these past two decades. In America and most of Europe you can expect a right-wing government for at least the next few years.

"I drank *WHAT*?!?"

>The student union at the School of Oriental and African Studies
it's like you idiots want to be triggered by sjws

That's bull, and you know it though.
Time to get red-pilled.

lathropithikia.wordpress.com/2016/11/18/proof-that-blond-greeks-are-100-the-children-of-ancient-greeks/

We haven't even had a decent flick about Alexander.
Heck, Augustus.
Plebs don't give a shit about patrician shit.

Though I can see a HBO series about Socrates and his students.

>Brongoloids pretending the problems they created are a worldwide epidemic

please fuck off

Because Socrates was a faggot.

Diogenes > Socrafaggot

Why do all the great philosophers come from Mediterranean whites, why are they do based. How can snowniggers even compete

>you must realised by now they have been slowly destroying the left's power these past two decades
I always used to think that the Left's great strength came from its ability to debate and discuss ideas - it's not exactly a revelation that many academics are/were left wing. But in recent times, it's so populist that even things that make zero sense - like science being racist - can be shouted enough to get support.

>you can expect a right-wing government for at least the next few years.
Yeah it seems likely given Trump and what I've heard about Germany. I'm actually optimistic that might set the Left back on the right track, though.

Please stop arguing whether the Greeks were 'white' or not. This is all a subversion trick

is he a british jew?

>make hollywood movie about Epicurus
>call it "Finding Yolo"
>make a billion dollars

I just saved the studios

We are just trying to pass the time, because we are lonely and bored

>Because he is a white male
SOCRATES WAS A NIGGER

only on your dreams, snownigger

The most stubborn cunt in history

Hello BAP

Honestly this, all the great empties have come from Spain, Portugal, Greece, and Italy. Have snowniggers accomplished anything

because he wasnt real duh

Yes shitting in the woods and raping everyone in their true muh viking fashion.

Better question is, why is the Mediterranean so shit-tier now?

I have so much family in italy that I could move there and be set, but fuck that, these people are fucking awful

The really insidious thing about progressives is that they prey on people's better natures. Most people do not want to be considered 'racist', 'sexist' or whatever. It's upsetting because I can understand how people can be indoctrinated so to speak.

>I'm actually optimistic that might set the Left back on the right track, though.
I really hope this is the case because for the moment as far as I can tell I'm seeing no reform or introspection from parties within the left about why they're losing.

I'm betting on the UK to turn as well. If you do a quick search they are NOT polling well at all.

>death of Socrates

wow nice spoiler
fuck you

Who will play Diogenes?

Good rec
No doubt those those useless fags in hollywood will try to 'reboot' it at some point

I like the lamp tidbit the most about him.

>He became notorious for his philosophical stunts such as carrying a lamp in the daytime, claiming to be looking for an honest man.

Let's put it together Sup Forums.
it should take place in his last days (which I believe were his 70s) and show his coming to terms with his death and his contemplations about his life. Directed by Malick.

I dont get it

Because, he never existed.

Because you're not an honest man obviously.

Only thing known about him were from his students and those fucks like using abstract analogies
Plus he was a liberal

Rossellini, you pleb

because an honest man would let him know that his lamp was turned on which is a waste of oil

>Platos fw

should also have lost of cunnys

> I'm actually optimistic that might set the Left back on the right track, though.
They're unyielding. Just look at the black caucus refusing to take down the pig cops painting. It feels like this party has double-down on the tumblr extremism since the orange potato won. We're literally falling deeper into the shitter.

He's only a celebrity, but I think the signs are there.

It seems more like the academic and true Progressive Left are happily left alone, observing the world, while the Regressive Left is causing mayhem like what you mentioned.

>We're literally falling deeper into the shitter.
The worst case scenario then, is that more and more people are alienated toward the center and the right. What was a populist movement (feminism, identity politics, etc.) just becomes an elitist hole that is largely ignored by the public - like modern day Communism.

Ya know, he says "I don't even know if I subscribe to it myself" and that somewhat ticks me off, and not because of what you may think.

The only reason he's saying that is because there's a defensive mechanic in the back of his mind telling him that by sharing this opinion, he's probably going to become a target of the angry super-left that's he's talking about. So he's more or less trying to "excuse" this opinion in his defense, while probably also venting his honest frustration.

And it's shit like that that has propelled these fucking vocal idiots to the top of the left pecking order these days. That careful, pussy-footing treatment of possible controversial or inflammatory (read: that the sensitive left don't agree with) opinions.

God this whole situation irks me. Just call it out for what it is without being a fucking wimp.

He was the natty daddy.

his chains are truly self-imposed. he doesn't even realize he's free and Donny freed him.

a house nigger is our friend seth indeed.

>And it's shit like that that has propelled these fucking vocal idiots to the top of the left pecking order these days.
Plus the fact that they're relatively unified and copious. Even if it's just someone politely disagreeing with you, it still creates the illusion that you're being screamed out by thousands of people for something.

>Just call it out for what it is without being a fucking wimp.
He made that Tweet after Trump was elected. The Left did do some introspection that night, they concluded that it was white people's fault and nothing should be done to change it. He's going against the meta and that's always a cause for concern in a populist movement.

>The Left did do some introspection that night, they concluded that it was white people's fault and nothing should be done to change it
Not entirely true.
Perhaps a lot of the underage social media idiots, but plenty of people I know, particularly tumlbr-tier uni friends, that have reacted at least reasonably about this. A lot have admitted the hubris of the DNC and Clinton got the better of themselves and that the PC culture has gotten overbearing at this point and the result is a resounding vote for Mr. Golden Showers.

They still don't see the problem with shoving TOLERANCE & DIVERSITY down everyone's throat, but for the most part a lot have come around to seeing how ridiculous some of our party's stances have become.

>but this is then completely and utterly all destroyed when the B-BUT 3 MILLION MORE VOTES comes into play
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee why even track the popular vote