I just marathoned these movies. The Phantom Menace is unironically the best, but still shit...

I just marathoned these movies. The Phantom Menace is unironically the best, but still shit. Attack Of The Clones is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Revenge Of The Sith is pretty bad too, but not as bad as Attack Of The Clones. The last few minutes are actually pretty good, but that doesn't make up for the rest of the movie.

Why do people defend these?

>hating the prequels
unironically reddit

>defending this

I still don't know what's wrong with attack of the clones

Watch it again. It's terrible.

Attack of the Clones is easily the best of the prequels. It has a plot that TPM lacks and it isn't as depressingly dark as ROTS. It strikes the perfect balance, but plebs get caught up in the romance, and can't grasp the fact that Lucas is going for a classic Hollywood romance.

Was there anything right with it? Please tell a single thing about that movie that was done right.

Why is Star Wars so awful anons?

The dialogue between Anakin and Herslag

>not liking the prequels
>not liking episode 2

Wow sure is wrong opinions in here

The dialogue is stilted, but it's probably the boldest film Lucas has ever made, because he goes full self-indulgence in his attempts at paying homage to classic hollywood and 1930s serials. Modern audience simply can't grasp it.

>watch them on cinema when they came out
>enjoy yourself, be part of a big event, something special
>feels good man
so yeah, theres a difference between doing what i just said and torrenting it from yifi, watch it on your shitty monitor with shitty headphones, in your shitty room, fucking plebs

>Why do people defend these?
It's called shitposting

I watched it last week

The Coruscant chase, Kamino as a whole but Jango vs Obi and the subsequent chase in particular, the arena scene. Geonosis in general bar the factory bit

The Coruscant chase is probably the least believable scene in the entire movie. It's fucking ridiculous.

And in comparison TPM has nothing. The problem is people find TPM to be overall less offensive because "muh shot on film" and the dialogue is less cringey. From a movie standpoint TPM really has nothing on Clones or ROTS. It comes to aesthetics more than anything, which is ironic, since they criticize Lucas for being caught up with visuals.

The whole film is ridiculous. The film is titled "Attack of the Clones." What were you expecting?

literally how? it's almost as unwatchable as battlefield earth

Nostalgia. I can't think of a single reasonable defense for this other than "I love it", the way I loved my ex even though she was flat as a board and had an annoying laugh.

Most redditors simply can't comprehend the complex literary themes present in Attack of the Clones.

>shot on film
>less stupid CGI characters filling every inch of the screen
>pod race scene
>Darth Maul fight scene
>Trade Federation space battle
>Naboo palace infiltration scene
>nothing on AOTC
TPM feels the most like the original trilogy.

This

>shot on film
Yes
>cgi
Jar jar actually doesn't look that bad. Ootah gunga underwater scene Is kino
>pod race scene
Prtty kino
>darth maul
Yes

Aotc had coruscant nightlife and jango fett and the arena but that was it. You have shit on both sides like jake lloyd and hayden and portman. Based qui gon is a plus

Execute order 66

Jake Lloyd is so much more bearable than Hayden Christensen.

The prequels have huge problems, but I still enjoy the shit out of 'em.

Give me AOTC over Rogue One or TFA any day desu.

Disney paid bloggers to reinvigorate interest in the intellectual property they paid over a billion dollars to acquire and milk for decades.

But the story is shit. AOTC and ROTS have an actual story that can sustain a 2hr+ runtime. Once, again all you guys care about is the film being more aesthetically pleasing, but you're not actually evaluating the content of the film and it's completely lacking in both characterization and story compared to its counterparts.

>prequels
>better than anything
Disgusting. TFA and Rogue One are both flawed movies, but they're still very good movies.
They're not perfect, but they're not absolute dogshit like the prequels.

Aesthetics are the only things that make Star Wars truly powerful.

And I mean that in the classical sense. Aesthetics meaning beyond mere superficial stylization.

And this of course doesn't apply to Rogue One which is actually KINO.

What fucking story does AOTC have? Syfo-Diaz (or whatever is name is) is never fleshed out or explained. Count Dooku appears out of fucking nowhere. The love dialogue is wooden and forced. The assassination sub-plot is never mentioned again.

Can we at least agree that he has the perfect look for Anakin Skywalker?

Disney wants to distance themselves from the prequels at the detriment of a cohesive overall narrative. I defend the prequels, because for all of their flaws they're authentic films from an actual artist.

Yeah AOTC really does blow phat cock.

Just have to say, if you watch the prequels with a stream chat like that one user hosted a while ago, they become far more bearable. Shout outs to based stream guy

What story does TPM have that relates to the rest of the saga? It's a boring slog of a film. AOTC actually gives real depth to Anakin's turn and shows the genesis of his turn. TPM is simply The Hobbit Star Wars style. It's pretty and there's some fun action and visuals, but it's mostly dettached from the rest of the saga, and virtually irrelevant.

But it's not worse than TPM. That's an objective fact.

I'm pretty sure Attack has lower reviews on average, and "won" more razzies than Phantom Menace.

>muh sand meme

grow up

They're both really shit. But TPM, less goes wrong overall.

Jar Jar is the worst thing about TPM, imo, there are many shit things, but that's the low point for me. Whereas that lowpoint is equaled or exceeded twice by the love story and the CGI rape-a-thon in AOTC. That's just my two cents.

>believable

pleb arguments 101

Like I said earlier, modern audiences don't get what Clones was going for and get distracted by the romance and over-abundance of cgi, but when you break the films down into pieces there really isn't one aspect of TPM that trumps AOTC. The characters are flat and ill-defined. The story isn't intriguing by comparison. It's disconnected from the rest of the saga. Jar Jar overstays his welcome. It's all style and very little substance. AOTC is flawed, but has depth and improves on TPM in every way that matters from a filmmaking standpoint.

>OT
>1st part of the trilogy's title: Somewhat vague and introduces the concept that permeates through the rest of the trilogy (ie, Luke is the New Hope). The title becomes abundantly clear after watching the trilogy
>2nd part of the trilogy's title: Pertains to a certain negative force that lingers from or has arisen since the preceding part of the trilogy (ie, the Empire Strikes Back after the Death Star was blown up)
>3rd part of the trilogy's title: Relates explicitly to the title of the first part of the trilogy, whereby the titular character has now 'transformed' into their maturated identity and fulfills their ultimately destined role. It is welcomed by a 're-introduction' or a return/comeback of said titular character in their final, matured, most complete state (ie, Luke returns as a Jedi, where he was only the 'New Hope' in IV)

>Prequels
>1st part of the trilogy's title: Somewhat vague and introduces the concept that permeates through the rest of the trilogy (ie, Sheev is the Phantom Menace). The title becomes abundantly clear after watching the trilogy
>2nd part of the trilogy's title: Pertains to a certain negative force that lingers from or has arisen since the preceding part of the trilogy (ie, the Clone Army attacks after the events of TPM had cooled down)
>3rd part of the trilogy's title: Relates explicitly to the title of the first part of the trilogy, whereby the titular character has now 'transformed' into their maturated identity and fulfills their ultimately destined role. It is welcomed by a 're-introduction' or a return/comeback of said titular character in their final, matured, most complete state (ie, Sheev has his Revenge (after what happened prior) as the Sith Lord and Emperor, where he was only the 'Phantom Menace' in TPM)

AOTC isn't a narrative, it's just a series of events.

It's a detective novel where no detective work. It's a political thriller without political intrigue. It's a space opera so over-bloated with CGI that it feels like you're watching a made for PC edutainment game years after the fact. It's a love story with the worst dialogue and chemistry of any romance in any major film ever.

re: AOTC themes, wtf are you talking about boogie?

For a summer blockbuster it actually achieves what its going for extremely well. Obi Wan does plenty of actual detective work. I'd love to hear an argument against that, since it's patently false and hardly worth addressing. And yes it is a space opera that's bloated and over the top - the name of the film gives that away, so what's the problem? The romance dialogue is part of the style, and you either embrace the old Hollywoodness of it, or you thumb your nose at it. What's important is that the film is an attempt at something greater than the sum of its parts and is more respectable as a failed experiment than TFA and Rogue One are as paint by-the-numbers filmmaking. And its ambition exceeds that of TPM and even in many ways ROTS.

being more ambitious doesn't make it better. he tried to make combine star wars, war and peace, and the maltese falcon.

i would ask who the fuck could possibly think that's a good idea but the answer is boogie.

why do prequel fans assume the only people who hate them loved TFA and R1?

I don't assume that, I just threw in that part for good measure. I'm sure there are plenty of people that hate everything beyond the OT and that's their prerogative.

It's literally all just memeing.

>arbitrary
>arbitrary
>dull action scene
>dull action scene
>dull action scene

??

What episode of the Clone Wars series is this?

it has good music and nice images faggot

TPM has objectively better music, and they both have nice images, but there's less CGI in TPM so I give it a close win there too.

Across the Stars is on par with Duel of Fates.

Because prequel haters are plebscum

literally what?

Reminder that only Redditors and underage fags hate the prequels

lol just listened to it, wp gg. you got me. i thought you were serious and i will simply admit it.

corn on the cobb

Revenge of the Sith is objectively the best prequel. To this day I can effortlessly quote it.

But redditors and underage fags are the ones who grew up with them and will defend them.

Only good things
>Obi wan fight with Jango on Kamino
>Arena scene with the heroes trying to fight the beasts with no lightsabers

Everything else sucked pic related's alien dick

>t. redditor

Attack of the clones is literally undefendable.
I remember watching it for the first time as a kid on television and being utterly baffled when it finally ended-- the structure and pacing are fucking terrible.

It's hard not to sport a smile while watching the first, and the action in the third is undeniably the best of the entire franchise (close or tied with Rogue One).

Star wars is so damn extra at this point though. Wish they would stop making them/stick to episodes 8 + 9 then chill. The fatigue is real.

Still better than TPM.

Nonsense. The action in TPM apart from the final duel is cartoony in both execution and tone. ROTS and AOTC have actual stakes and characters you care about and the action is far more compelling because of it.

damn you hooked another one, boogie. im proud of u son.

>The Phantom Menace is unironically the best
What the fuck? The Phantom Menace is probably the worst movie ever made. There's no main character and none of the other characters are interesting or likable. It has this nebulous pointless plot that meanders around so we can shoehorn time-wasting sequences like podracing in them that contribute absolutely shit to the story. Movie has the low brow humor including cringe-worthy slapstick humor and fart/scat jokes. Unclear villain or motives which strains the audiences ability to care about anything going on or what the stakes are. Completely disjointed from the other two films to the point where you begin to ask yourself whether the movie was even necessary or why Lucas didn't just start the story at AotC. Movie is a complete eyesore and has a very dull art direction that fails to match the original films

All the prequels are garbage but at this point I'm throughly convinced that anyone that doesn't think PM was the worst Star Wars are braindead idiots that just like the lightsaber fight at the end

plinkett sells every truth paired with a lie. you would realize this if you were capable of original thought.

TPM is either the third or second worst starwars movie, but it's not the worst.

It's not worse than TFA.

>Attack Of The Clones is one of the worst movies I've ever seen
I swear only children think this or you haven't seen many films before. It's OK. Compared to something like John Carter or Men In Black II. It's a major step up from TPM which honestly goes no where for first 2/3 of the film.

so it's the third then.

It's a meme. AOTC was loved when it came out because people were excited of less politics and less jar jar. People also lost their shit for the Geonosis arena and Clone Wars until that N'Sync cameo got leaked.

Somewhere along the line people lost their sense of adventure and fun. I guess I can thank RLM for that.

Kek. I wish the movies had actually done this. would have been great depth to the hubris of the Jedi causing their downfall instead of LOL BETRAYED.

Or Lucas just has a hard on for the 1950s.

The new star wars movies are like boring blockbuster marvel movies in space. They're built from the ground up for the average idiot movie goer.

The prequels are schumacher's batmans

I genuinely do not understand how people like any of the prequels. From a casual movie goer's perspective to a film critics. Even idiots who just watch whatever blockbuster is out and guzzles DC and Marvel and Bay's cum movie after movie will only claim they enjoy Darth Maul and the fight at the end of three. The only good part of the entire three movies was Ani massacring the sand people, not even what I saw was good but the idea of oh look some character development of a character that's supposed to be interesting

Agreed. Nu-Star Wars is very Marvelish. Disney knows how to appeals to the masses and they're locking into mass appeal for big blockbuster grosses like they do with Avengers.

Meanwhile, the prequels have no audience but the little kids who like the funny Jar Jar steps in the poopy.

I'd rather watch mind dumbing Marvel adventures than cringe.

You simply enjoy bland filmmaking. You want something safe/non-controversial. People will be discussing the prequels long after the hype of the new trilogy has completely dissipated and why is that? Because they're wholly memorable spastic works of art that demand your attention and have something to say. TFA and its sequels are essentially zombie Simpson tier boardroom inspired pandering instantly forgettable nonsense.

Almost none of my listed complaints have been addressed by Plinkett. You need to take a step away from yourself for a moment and realize you're blindly defending one of the most egregious accounts of apathy, greed, and laziness ever brought to the big screen.

The movie is absolutely embarrassing to sit through, most people don't even remember what the film's plot was, but thank God it all comes to a pointless lightsaber fight where 2 characters we don't care about fight in a nonsensical location with an underdeveloped non-villain with a "cool" costume and a lightsaber that looks like it was imagined up by a 5 year old. That highly choreographed fight really redeemed sitting through one of the most unfocused and coherent films ever made, especially when it's segmented between 3 other action scene being shown at the same time!

Contrarians and underage.

>he is regarded with hostility by the employees

Literally never happened. There was ONE robot waitress and she was not hostile. I want to believe this image is ironic but it's probably autism.

They're the most creative and bold out of all the Star Wars movies. They had the most imaginative universe creation and had strong stories that went past the dumbed down shit that was ROTJ and TFA

People will be discussing the prequels because they're so fucking bad.

>it's bad because they're not all humans!
go back to Sup Forums

Haha. Thanks for the kek. Good man.

The prequels are extremely bland filmmaking, all (except maybe one) of the dialogue scenes are awfully acted and shot, and the action has zero tension. Stop giving Lucas so much credit. The prequels are only so "memorable" because they're now nostalgic and their "so-bad-it's-good" quality make them ripe for memes.

I guess the Jedi igniting their lightsabers is suppose to prove a point?

Better to be a meme than be nothing at all. Otherwise they'd be as dead as Kanju Club

>igniting

>33

>Execute order 66
>33

they were just fun to watch and they look and sound cool, great world-building. nostalgia too, but don't sell that short-- they are truly some of the most nostalgia inducing films ever--comfy as fuck. why are you so crabby? everyone agrees they were huge missed opportunities, but fuck, boogie, i still rewatch the fuck out of them.

guy is on the right track. Obi Wan probably feels like Dexter is a genuine friend.
Both Dexter and him bond over some casual Robot Racism, which gives Obi Wan some character, and is fun considering Dex employs robots himself.
But you do get the feeling that this sort of relation is very unbalanced and shallow all the same, and it's all the contact Obi wan had outside of the order.
Obi wan is a pretty big dork actually.

i can add that the robot waitress flags obi wan immediately, which gives us the idea that he could very well leverage any sort of criminal activity over Dex, to get what he wants.

>Let's hire the greatest bounty hunter in the galaxy who hires the greatest assassin in the galaxy to use toxic worms on a target sleeping by a window
That entire sequence on coursant may be the dumbest I have ever seen in all of movies.

just because you're a kissless virgin don't assume you know how teenagers in love talk to each other

the whole point was to draw the jedi to kamino, while preferably having killed padme amidala as well.

>another episode where we point out how fast cgi has aged

This was good for it's time. People had never seen anything of that magnitude done in cgi before and so there wasn't anything to compare it too. Sure, now it doesn't measure up to what is possible and what has been created, but that's the risk every new generation of cgi brings. 10 years from now, movies being made now with the best cgi will be looked back at as shit as well.