Why shouldn't states be allowed to secede?

The UN has stated that self-determination is a basic human right. Neither Texas nor California want the other or the federal government telling them how they should run their state, and forcing them to stay together just creates animosity.

Why can't they just be granted some sort of tributary type status similar to Hong Kong?

they possibly could if there was huge push for it

nobody cares lad.

just a few nuts out in the desert who've nothing to do, and some billionaires who would use it for their own purposes ofc

this is why federalism is stupid. a country should be homogenous culturally, socially, politically and geographically

They should but your (((government))) doesn't want them to.
And besides, through centuries of racemixing americans "arr rook same" in every state.

I don't know, maybe ask Jefferson Davis?

Donald J. Drumpf increased the military budget of United States to ~850 billion USD. It's like 80% of Poland's total GDP.

How do you think a federation of semi-autononymous states would be able to fund such a fuckhuge military-industrial complex and the jews in charge?

marek, youre supposed to keep putins plans to yourself.

California would be complicated, but I think Texas should be able to leave the US, I know Texans feel more Texan than american.
Anyway they joined the US in the first place to protect themselves from another Mexican military invasion, but now there is no risk whatsoever of that happening so they could be all right alone

You can still maintain a mutual defensive agreement with states that just want more autonomy in how their economy and social laws are decided.

I doubt anyone in Texas or California who is pro-succession wants to disconnect from the US militarily. Their main beef is with federal court decisions, and their tax revenue going towards funding things they do not agree with.

Because fuck you

California's push for succession is completely retarded. It's just a butthurt reaction to Trump winning. There isn't anything they want to do that that the federal government is actually restricting from doing. Their only argument is "muh taxes".

Texas on the other hand has a whole bunch of shit that they constantly try and challenge the federal government on.

California already largely gets whatever they want anyway.

>and their tax revenue going towards funding things they do not agree with.
Like the hugely overblown military-industrial complex that swallows 50%+ of the public spending?

Remove the proxy, Pytor.

>everyone that doesn't agree with me is a russian
And peter is Pyotr in Russian fyi.

last time someone did that, it did not work out for them.

People who complain about US military spending are idiots.

Do you know who is responsible for protecting every major shipping route in the world? The US Navy. Pirates are very much still a thing in this day and age, and would cause billions and billions of dollars of losses if not for the US navy patrolling the oceans.

China is the only other country that is even capable of replacing the US's role in this. The military-industrial complex is not the end goal of US's massive military spending, rather it's a way to make money on the side from having to fulfill many crucial duties in the world, that were the US not doing, somebody else would still have to do.

>Do you know who is responsible for protecting every major shipping route in the world? The US Navy. Pirates are very much still a thing in this day and age, and would cause billions and billions of dollars of losses if not for the US navy patrolling the oceans.
Shit man, if only US military was not responsible for world-wide poverty kept in order to protect american interests and muh oil dollar maybe there wouldn't be pirates and piracy.

I would say it is because democracy cannot function if its constituents can just rage-quit and leave whenever things go poorly for them. People have to be willing to take their lumps in order to maintain stability.

>Why can't they just be granted some sort of tributary type status similar to Hong Kong?
This is an idea I liked for California, allow us to mind our own affairs but stick with the Americans for major things in the long term. Though I don't know if its a good idea.

>California's push for succession is completely retarded. It's just a butthurt reaction to Trump winning.
Most Californians felt that way too. There is a reason it flared up in January and then died. Everyone I knew saw it as a joke.

That being said, there is a bit more to it than "muh taxes". As afar as taxes are concerned it isn't so much that we pay more than we receive. Its that we do so for people who openly despise us and want us out of the union. I live in one of the cities and we are fine with subsidizing our rural areas, but we on the other hand are not fine with subsidizing the Midwest, Texas, or Dixie.

Also you have to see certain issues from our perspective. The administrations anti EPA and climate change denial stance is seen as an existential threat by many Californians because our nature is hella fragile and we will be one of the hardest hit by climate change. Their desire to shrink, or dissolve 7 nature areas including Sequoia in is seen as hostile to us. We are afraid that we are running out of time and that this policy may become a trend so we are taking quick action to defend our interests, though not necessarily secession.

Illegal immigration for many of us was never a "hippy, globalist, no borders" thing and goes a lot deeper than many think. I can elaborate if you want, I'm out of space.

>Texas on the other hand has a whole bunch of shit that they constantly try and challenge the federal government on.
Could you explain. I'm actually curious.

>The US military is responsible for all the poverty in the world

Are you 12 or something?

What the fuck, this isn't the image I posted. I wanted to post this.

>Could you explain. I'm actually curious.

Let's see, Abortion, Obamacare, the minimum wage, border security, religious freedom, gun laws, welfare, and much more.

>I live in one of the cities and we are fine with subsidizing our rural areas, but we on the other hand are not fine with subsidizing the Midwest, Texas, or Dixie.

Except California continually votes for things like Obamacare that cause those places to have to be federally subsidized. Texas in particular could very easily turn a surplus in tax revenue if they had full autonomy over their budget.

>Let's see, Abortion, Obamacare, the minimum wage, border security, religious freedom, gun laws, welfare, and much more.
I will say that it is tough when you want to keep the government more "hands off" especially for a place like Texas. California had the luck in that the things we differed from the Union on, were things we could legally handle and regulate ourselves (except for guns, the feds should have already steeped in on that. The current laws are pushing too far).

Though I'm wondering what the deal is with gun laws in Texas cause I thought that the feds were pretty close to Texas on that matter, same with border security except for the Dream Act (don't know how many Texas legislators supported that).

>Except California continually votes for things like Obamacare that cause those places to have to be federally subsidized. Texas in particular could very easily turn a surplus in tax revenue if they had full autonomy over their budget.
I don't know enough about the budget or Obamacare to refute nor corroborate this but it definitely makes the case for certain regions having major deviations in their ideas of governance which would point to the benefits of at least greater autonomy.

its effectively the same thing :^)