*completely revolutionizes what guitar can do in a band using tape delay and whammy bar*

*completely revolutionizes what guitar can do in a band using tape delay and whammy bar*

When is the rest of the world gonna catch up to Greg Sage?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9sGy_-p_sVE
m.youtube.com/watch?v=FsG13jXUWpU
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmkec-QRqvk
m.youtube.com/watch?v=YM_amjn4_Jk
m.youtube.com/watch?v=o0ioRece5YQ
m.youtube.com/watch?v=makjecJ61Zs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>muh effects
>muh pedals
>muh tone
I remember high school too

punk rock is for faggots

So were Wipers lowkey the most important American punk band of the 80s?

The Wipers is such an unique and interesting band

Pretty embarrassing desu

They would be if anyone took influence from them. The Pixies completely over shadowed them in terms of influence on 90's rock. Really can't think of anyone that took influence from Sage's playing. Maybe Sonic Youth.

Wipers are great, but goddamn Greg needs to do something about that awful hair.

>revolutionizes what guitar can do in a band using tape delay and whammy bar
literally what Ritchie Blackmore did a decade earlier

Post evidence

Nirvana, you dolt. They were one of the key influences on Nirvana, and the third Wipers album literally sounds like Nirvana. Also, J Mascis of Dinosaur Jr. is a massive fan.

Not to mention that Poison Idea and Dead Moon have both talked about how significant Wipers were to them in interviews.

You literally have no idea what you're talking about.

Obviously every punk band from the Northwest has cited them as an inspiration you fuckwit. The point is Wipers had a distinct musical style and Sage had an incredibly unique approach to the guitar and and that influence can't be found anywhere in Nirvana or Dinosaur Jr.

I know you're fresh in from Reddit and want to blow us away with your autistic knowledge of every shit Kurt Cobain took but you're clueless.

Now you're just defensively panicking because it's obvious you're full of shit. Have fun projecting your insecurities onto me, you unbearable fucking faggot.

Not a response

Nothing to respond to. You just threw a bunch of empty insults at me, because I made you insecure. You're a moron.

they covered like 3 songs from them, if you listen to nirvana you can hear a distinctive wipers influence, i'd say its their primary influence in songwriting even moreso than the pixies

>if you listen to nirvana you can hear a distinctive wipers influence

Where? I'd define the Wipers sound as motorik style rhythm with Sage's distinct approach to guitar on top. He used feedback and thick low end distortion to create infinite sustain and then used his tape delay to add reverb and a makeshift kind of chorus effect. The guy was essentially using his rhythm guitar playing to build soundscapes and textures while simultaneously playing lead by holding chords with his thumb like Hendrix.

I hear none of that in nirvana.

Nothing to respond to except what all the other anons are responding to. We get it, you have nothing to say but, "Le Kurt's journal said Wipers were good!" You shared your insight so now you can stop embarrassing yourself and leave so the big boys can have a Wipers thread.

>he didn't do this one thing so Nirvana wasn't influenced by them
lmao

guys stop arguing

Even more hot substantive arguments

Wow, your powers of projection are impressive. It's like you're directly expressing everything I've made you feel.

It has nothing to do with Cobain's journals, and everything to do with the fact that songs like Over the Edge literally fucking sound like Nirvana.

Stop embarrassing yourself, you sad little mongoloid.

I like Wipers a lot

Faggotd are for punk

Ok we get you're a tough guy internet name caller but you still haven't responded to any arguments or made any of your own.

Why not end this argument now and show everyone how wrong I am by stating in SPECIFIC musical terms what Wipers' musical influence on Nirvana was?

youtube.com/watch?v=9sGy_-p_sVE

Hot Snakes is a wipers rip off band. And they own up to it. All four of their albums are better than any Wipers album. Greg does have the best song though, Youth Of America.

John Reis literally intentionally plays in Greg's style on his Hot Snakes project. Check it out.

Here's some Hot Snakes Wipers ripoffs for you.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=FsG13jXUWpU

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmkec-QRqvk

m.youtube.com/watch?v=YM_amjn4_Jk

This was always the "cool" Wipers album when I was growing up but now it's recognized as the worst of the first three. Too bad Sage dialed it back from Youth of America instead of taking it further.

Stop shilling this fucking band in every punk thread you autist

punk is responsible for ZERO technical innovations

Johnny Ramone is top 10 most important guitarists in rock music history.

You're arguing with someone that believes that nirvana is the end all be all of every 80s and 90s band ever.

Fuck off. The rising guitar part of this song

m.youtube.com/watch?v=o0ioRece5YQ

Was ripped off on the intro and the 2 minute outro of this hot Snakes song.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=makjecJ61Zs

And the spacey breakdown and sound effects in youth of America was stolen for the new hot Snakes song death of a sportsman. It literally has the same sounds and melody but its like 20 secnds long instead of 3 minutes.

Ok you've established that your favorite band is a shitty Wipers cover band.

No. They're Better than Wipers. Greg Sage became a hack in the mid 80s, all of his albums from the 90s until now blow. John and Rick in all of their various bands have yet to release a truly shitty album and they're pushing 50 now. Most musicians lose their touch in their 30s.

that is also true

Lol who gives a shit? Wipers put out three perfect albums. Your literal whose can put out 50 trillion mediocre albums and it won't compare.

you're autistic, and I mean that not as a joke or an insult, you are are literally exhibiting symptoms of autism

He constantly posts them in every punk thread he's definitely an autist.

The title track from Youth of America has the best guitar riff I have heard in my life

>They're Better than Wipers.
Uh yeah definitely fucking not.

>Wipers thread
>turns into retards arguing
Greg deserves better than this

Greg's guitar playing is so good that no one ever mentions just how great of a singer he is. Especially on Youth of America, he sounds like he's just fighting to the death.

By the way, you guys should listen to his solo albums if you haven't done so already.

Literal who's. Drive Like Jehu, Rocket From The Crypt, and probably even Hot Snakes are more well known and influential than Wipers.

It's cool you discovered this edgy band through Nirvana, but they literally have 2 or 3 good songs per album and maybe one excellent or classic songs. All of John and Rick's bands blow Greg away.

>i listen post-hardcore

I wouldn't really call him a good singer. Listen to a live Wipers recording.

doom town and so young are god-tier wipers songs tho

You essentially bullshitted your way through your post to try and prove your point to absolutely no avail. You're seriously trying to argue the influence Wipers had on Nirvana when Nirvana has covered them and you can fucking hear the influence plain as fucking day. Your yammering about Greg's technique bears about 0 relevance to the discussion. It's similar to me saying people can't be influenced by Tom Morello as a guitarist unless they also use the whammy pedal.

Greg wasn't really enthusiastic about performing live, maybe that's the reason why.

punk rock*

i think faggot punk thread police are the true autists. how about that?

'

What's any of this supposed to prove?

One of the few times I see a Wipers thread on Sup Forums and one faggot has to ruin everything.

>Implying he was the first person to use those effects
Do you even know what Frippertronics are?

Let him chimp out in peace, he's clearly disabled in some way. No honor in picking on the retarded.

That these "literal who's" are just as well regarded as your precious Wipers and they've made actually more great albums in total than your precious Greg Sage.

What the fuck do you think about that?

idiot

>caring about reviews
>getting this bootyblasted because someone doesn't like a band you like
lad status: wew

>What the fuck do you think about that?
I think that you moved the goalposts of the argument from "they're better" to "they're just as well regarded" and that you just knocked down a strawman. Nice work, I guess.

I personally think they're better. it's my opinion. these critics reviews certainly put them at the same same level, help to back up my personal opinion, yes? or no?

>Lol who gives a shit? Wipers put out three perfect albums.

Looks like Hot Snakes, Drive Like Jehu, and Rocket From The Crypt (all of which who share main members) have what you could consider "perfect" albums as well, from a critical standpoint.

> Your literal whose can put out 50 trillion mediocre albums and it won't compare.

Looks like these "literal whose" albums AREN'T MEDIOCRE ALL ALL DOES IT?

Maybe you should expand your fucking musical horizons before you talk shit.

>yes? or no?
It's an appeal to authority that you're backpedalling on. The rest of your tantrum is useless to me because my first post ITT was . I don't care about either of these bands, just your weak logic.

Wipers albums have filler. Hot Snakes and Drive Like Jehu albums do not.
Rick's a better lyricist than Greg.
John's riffs and song structure are better/more inventive than Greg's.
All of DLJ and Hot Snakes drummers are better than the Wipers' drummers.
The Wipers would've been completely forgotten if Kurt hadn't pimped them.

All of these things are objectively true.

Let me add, fucking Nirvana is a better band than Wipers.

I like Wipers, Hot Snakes, Drive Like Jehu, Polvo, Archers, Pixies, Wire, Magazine,The Damned all at the same level, but HATE Nirvana, the Melvins, Pavement, Jesus Lizard, Big Black.

Fight me.

You say Nirvana, I say wipers
You say Melvins, I say Hot snakes
You say Pavement, I SCREAM DRIVE LIKE JEHU!!
98 percent of kids these days don't listen to REAL MUSIC, thumbs up if you're the two percent who do!!!

kys faggot

Something's not right here.

Ha saying this on Sup Forums of all places.

reddit's that way!!! >>>>>>>>>>>>>enjoy /r/music

>Johnny Ramone is top 10 most important guitarists in rock music history.
1/10 and that's purely for sympathy, but saged