Sup Forums

How do we save film criticism? When the reviewers aren't being flat out paid to promote capeshit, then they go full Marxist. Am I to believe that Moonlight is a better movie than Goodfellas? Or that Hidden Figures is better than every David Lynch film? Does film criticism ever matter anymore or should they all just literally kill themselves?

Can anybody legitimately argue that there is not an agenda being pushed?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2VVMVtuN9FY?t=26m14s
youtu.be/H_pKNBbMS1g
rottentomatoes.com/m/race_2016/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Wait until Trump drains the swamp.

>Hidden Figures
>Not blackino

maybe consider that maybe a movie starring black people can actually be good

moonlight deserves ALL the praise its gotten. Sorry it doesn't have quips and jokes all the time like star wars or your avengers box set, but that doesn't mean its a bad movie

all you do is fucking bitch and moan on Sup Forums and think things will somehow change but guess what, they won't.

Watch movies you want to watch and ignore the rest, what a fucking difficult concept for you to grasp.

>too rarely seen
>too often overlooked

How can these things be overlooked when there are big-budget movies made about them every year, and the "issues" they present are constantly in the media?

Redpill me on Moonlight. Is there a good plot? What's engrossing about it?

So you're saying these movies can't be good because they don't bash blacks and women like you want them to?

Why are plebs pretending to care about film criticism now?

For years you iqlets called Brody and White pretentious and anyone that agreed with them hipsters. Has your taste film improved now or are you still the tasteless drones you were when you cried hipster and that fun should be allowed since film is supposed to be """entertainment"""

or is this another excuse to shitpost and stay away from developing better taste again?

lol jk its slow as hell and uses "lol timeskips" to gloss over character development

its about a black kid who grows up from being shy as shit up until high school, then skips ahead to him being a gangster

i didn't like it

Yes, precisely. Now gtfo of my echo chamber

Because with a new release, people tend to think of pos/neg as "is it worth checking out this weekend?" which results in more overall positive reviews of "yeah". David Lynch, on the other hand, is an established director and many of those reviews are looking back, meaning a much higher standard is in place.

Also, many older movies end up with smaller review pools. David Lynch's Eraserhead has 100 fewer reviews than Hidden Figures, so even though Hidden Figures has 2x the rotten reviews as Eraserhead, those rottens are worth more. Battles Without Honor or Humanity only has 4 reviews on rotten tomatoes, with 2 negative, so it scores a 50% despite how beloved and significant it is.

TL;DR - Comparing rotten tomato scores between old and new movies is retarded, you're retarded, aggregate sites in general are retarded.

do you not fucking understand how Rotten Tomatoes works?

when will armond make a youtube channel and put RLM out of business

Why do people keep saying Hollywood makes films only for profit and then they make stuff like this which only appeals to a sub 10% minority of the population?

I love this Sup Forums strawman you libcucks have set up. Very nice.

Are you retarded? Find critics you like using a decent aggregate, like sight and sound etc.., and see their lists and reviews. Rotten, Meta and Imdb are popularity meters

They clearly have agendas and pick and choose their sources. You know if you aren't a top critic you have to pay them to get your reviews indexed.

>Sorry it doesn't have quips and jokes all the time like star wars or your avengers box set, but that doesn't mean its a bad movie
Did you even read my post, dipshit? Or did you just see the black cryface poster and get triggered?

Who? Sight and sound? I hate to tell you this but if you think everyobody is out against you then you might need to write your own reviews

No, they are shit because they look like lifetime movies. I'm not even saying Moonlight was terrible, but was it the greatest film of all-time? Hidden Figures is absolutely daytime soap oprea-level horseshit. Fences was a 6.5/10 at best.

How triggered are you by your boogeyman Sup Forums?

>was it the greatest film of all-time
You literally don't know how RT works

It's how the critics felt at the time. And the fact that there are thousands of reviews for new movies kind of adds to my original point, doesn't it? Film criticism is shit, and there is no saving it.

Nobody said Sup Forums, user. You're trying a little too hard.

It seems like you're starting from the premise you should accept the opinions of critics as your own
Fuck off with your epic dago flicks btw

They literally add up all of the (((critics))) scores. Moonlight will stay at 99% fresh forever (pic related). You are pretending as if it will go down over time. It won't.

>Fuck off with your epic dago flicks
What did he mean by this?

Has anyone who has actually seen Moonlight and doesn't frequent Sup Forums disagree with that score?

The film was fucking stellar. My ideal Oscars would have it win Best Picture and Best Director while Manchester wins Best Actor and Best Supporting Actress and Best Original Screenplay while everyone involved with La La Land dies in a fire.

>Moonlight will stay at 99% fresh forever (pic related
yes

>You are pretending as if it will go down over time
i'm not

You're retarded. Learn how average ratings work

red letter media already said it in the red tails review

What is moonlight even about ? Is it worth the watch?

youtu.be/2VVMVtuN9FY?t=26m14s

26m 14s

I don't remember the last time i saw a gay black dude growing up in the ghetto on the screen except The Wire

because you gotta remember that black people are homophobic too

20th century women is the only film that was bad though.
Moonlight and Fences were actually really great and Hidden Figures wasnt quite as good but i was still pleasantly surprised with it. All the black movies up there are the best kind of black movies, because they arent preachy insufferable pieces of shit like The Butler, Driving Miss Daisy, and The Birth of a Nation (2016)

You can't, film critics are all liberal and that will color their views on films. This was particularly obvious with Ghostbusters.

It doesn't mean they're completely worthless, but we should be skeptical of high reviews for films that share an ideology (e.g. feminism) with the majority of critics.

I know how average ratings work, what part of any post that I've made leads you to believe otherwise? Did you even read the OP or just get triggered from the picture?

>MUH Sup Forums BOOGEYMAN
Is Moonlight the best movie you've ever seen? Because according to the critics it's better than everything except Godfather.

Holy christ you really don't see the irony in this post?

Ghostbusters was a mediocre drop in an ocean of mediocre remakes and it got treated like the second coming of the plague by Sup Forums a year before a second of footage was released because it was announced it starred girls.

What the fuck do you call pic related the days after the SW teaser dropped if not politics coloring views of films?

>what part of any post that I've made leads you to believe otherwise?
>Am I to believe that Moonlight is a better movie than Goodfellas? Or that Hidden Figures is better than every David Lynch film?
This part did. No one is saying that you dummy

>Because according to the critics it's better than everything except Godfather.

That's not how RT works dipshit. Godfather is not a contemporary film so RT can only compile the available reviews it can find on it. It's not meant to be a definitive statement on the quality, it's just an aggregate of the list of reviews still available to read almost half a century after release.

Didn't Sausage Party have like 80% fresh score while 45% audience score?

I mean, not counting Disney's fuckery because that's a little too much

Yes, according to average critic scores (you know, the entire topic of this fucking thread), Moonlight is better than Goodfellas, and Hidden Figures is better than every Lynch film. What part of my original question is causing so much confusion for you?

see dummy

Hey OP,

You, like idiot normies, seem to get attracked to that big shiny number with the tomatoe next to. You think the higher the number the better the movie is, according to the aggregate.

That's wrong, if you look below you will find "Average rating" which is the proper way to see how well the movie is made, according to RT.

>Godfather is not a contemporary film so RT can only compile the available reviews it can find on it.
This doesn't matter. My ENTIRE PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD was to show how terrible film criticism has gotten. Film critics used to be actually, ya know, critical, instead of just pushing an agenda. You seem very confused.

>Am I to believe that Moonlight is a better movie than Goodfellas? Or that Hidden Figures is better than every David Lynch film?
You're fucking retarded m8. It's percentage of critics that gave a positive review. David Lynch's good films came out before RT was a thing. Goodfellas came out before RT was a thing. Be less of a mush minded retard and fuck off to Sup Forums you triggered sjw faggot.

youtu.be/H_pKNBbMS1g

You are very confused. Please go back to beddit where you can upboat Moonlight

What point are you trying to make? I don't get my movie recommendations from people on Sup Forums who haven't seen the movie either.

I have yet to see any proof outside of cherry picking a few individual shitty critics (which obviously always have and always will exist).

I'm wondering when someone will respond to my post here because I see a clearer political agenda regarding film on Sup Forums than anywhere else.

>David Lynch's good films came out before RT was a thing
Holy fucking shit, are you just samefagging or does the entirety of Sup Forums lack any sort of reading comprehension?

When RT existed doesn't matter. The point is that film criticism has become so corrupted through paid reviews and Marxist agendas, that they give 99% fresh (a score that will be there 30 years from now) to movies that are average at best.

>cherry picking
Go look at the scores, look at every single one of them if you have to.

99% fresh score is irrelevant. All that means is most of the critics found it watchable. Stop being a moron.

This is bait but kinda relevant. Its the same way people are waking up to the media & their viewers/trust has literally plummeted. Even normies now realize its all controlled bullshit.

It'll happen with movie ratings. You can only inflate the numbers for so long until everyone catches on to what's happening.

>the soloist
>iron lady
>extremely loud
>the danish girl
All these, and many more, have shit rt ratings and push le evil jew agenda. Have you ever considered that some movies you don't agree with, politically, might be good?

>"Average rating"

Can this meme stop now? If we can't trust critics giving thumbs ups or down, much fucking less when giving ratings

>Have you ever considered that some movies you don't agree with, politically, might be good?

What have you seen on this board that leads you to believe this is possible?

None of the movies you guys are complaining about are objectively bad movies. Just because you don't agree with whatever political agenda boogeyman you see doesn't make them bad.

>All that means is most of the critics found it watchable.
So critics in current year find movies to be more "watchable" than critics in the past did in their respective current years? Is that what you're trying to argue?

it's dishonest

>Have you ever considered that some movies you don't agree with, politically, might be good?
This isn't about my personal politics since I haven't even mentioned what my politics are. Hidden Figures is a shit movie no matter what you're political leanings are. It is barely passable as a Lifetime or Hallmark Channel movie.

Half the critics 50 years ago hated movies like 2001 and Alien. Stop relying on subjective opinions so much man.

meme

Why is Hidden Figures bad?

hard mode: don't interject politics into your argument

Have you even watch it?

I loved Moonlight though, but Hidden Figures having more a 6/10 is fucking offensive

I haven't seen it so i don't know. Are you ok now? You might wanna start a blog so you can write your own reviews and really make a difference

>Hidden Figures was good
>Moonlight and Boyhood are the best movies ever, 2nd and 3rd only to Shoah (the reissue).

Attack of the Clones has a 6.7/10. Are you saying Hidden Figures is worse than AotC?

I don't rely on critic's opinions. I don't really care to be honest. I'm just trying to expose some newfags to the modern film criticism process.

>rotten tomatoes the claims to be the objective parameter of film quality
i thought we went over this already

Goodfellas isn't even that great tbhfam

thanks for ruining everything, faglords

>Attack of the Clones has a 6.7/10.

Just kill me now.

Never said Hidden Figures is good. It has a 7.7/10 which is a very mediocre score.

Which is ironic because you don't seem to understand not every film critic judges movies on the same merits. Look at that Hack Armond White, for example. The same shit existed 50 years ago.

Jesus christ would you just shut the fuck up with your numbers you autist? They're not comparable.

>hard mode: don't interject politics into your argument
So you want me to disregard the entire purpose of the film to begin with? Okay, putting aside the obvious political agenda-

>bad acting
>Lifetime cinematography
>oscar bait
>muh stronk womyns

The entire premise is horse shit.

wow, really made me think

>Look at that Hack Armond White
This tells me all I need to know about you. No wonder you are spazzing because I don't think Moonlight is the greatest film ever made. I think reddit might be more your speed.

This whole argument is about numbers you insufferable idiot.

>strong womyn
>oscar bait
You almost made it. I can't take you seriously now that you exposed yourself as hating the movie simple because of "muh anti-white political agenda".

He said "argument" user. We're well aware how you can dismiss literally anything with arrows and garbage Sup Forums memes.

Has there been a movie in the last 10 years dealing with racism and/or LGBT issues that has been badly recieved by critics?

t. transformers fan

I don't get it was the Hidden Figures movie a true story or not?

He is a hack. In case you didn't know, he just gave Hidden Figures a glowing review. So much for your idol.

>Has there been a movie in the last 10 years dealing with racism and/or LGBT issues that has been badly recieved by critics?
rottentomatoes.com/m/race_2016/

Face it, Black Kino is here

it was a "true" story

the real woman was at least 1/2 white, there was very little discrimination at NASA, if any at all in fact, Katherine's original biography had no mentions of racism at NASA and they were 3 of hundreds of statistical fact-checkers that NASA was employing to calculate trajectories and shit. These women came into work everyday, sat in a cubicle surrounded by hundreds of other people doing the exact same things they were and they're getting a movie made about them because they happened to be black

No one on reddit likes Moonlight.

The reddit film of 2016 is probably Arrival or some quipshit

The Sup Forums film of 2016 is pic related

Hidden Figures is an oscar-bait, feel-good movie. Most people will find it watchable and have a nice time even if isn't a great film. In order to have a fresh score on RT a movie only needs to be barely watchable that's why aggregate websites are shitty and you shouldn't be caring about RT.

>Sorry it doesn't have quips and jokes all the time like star wars or your avengers box set, but that doesn't mean its a bad movie

All the critics who are praising Moonlight also praise Marvel and Star Wars. Not even saying Moonlight is bad, but that part of your post makes no sense.

>Attack of the Clones has a 6.7/10.

Let that sink for a minute

Tbh senpai Johnson was regarded as one of the most important calculators there. She wasn't just one of the cubicle drones.

Red Tails.

which is why the movie focuses on her

she was also very light-skinned, much lighter than Taraji Henson.

On a grade scale, I think that's fine. It's still failing. But there was an effort. I don't know why people on here would think 6.7/10 is an okay score. That's pretty bad.

>Taraji Henson.
Henson is a milf tho

In which universe a 6.7 out of fucking ten is failing. In which universe that scale is meant to be taken seriously when the movies start being good at 9 or some shit

RT is meme because it reflects the sad state of internet reviewing, which is the biggest meme around

>In which universe a 6.7 out of fucking ten is failing.
Any school that isn't an urban public one.

BLACK MOMMY