Why do Americans feel the need to always say their state when asked where they are from?

Why do Americans feel the need to always say their state when asked where they are from?

Do they think anyone cares?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/bcmAtd5DzQg?t=22
youtu.be/6wvqKiVaJ4w?t=23
youtube.com/watch?v=LArGlfEVYqM&ab_channel=JohnnyZero
youtube.com/watch?v=sEEx3oUuiII
youtu.be/IGVZOLV9SPo
youtu.be/ttD1sgo1ldc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why is everyone so obsessed with us?

What the hell is Bunker Hill

do you think americans give a shit where your from either?

Exhibit A:
youtu.be/bcmAtd5DzQg?t=22

Exhibit B:
youtu.be/6wvqKiVaJ4w?t=23

Texas! Woooo! Remember The Alamo! Remember Goliad! Yeeeehaw

youtube.com/watch?v=LArGlfEVYqM&ab_channel=JohnnyZero

A really big tie

because that's where we're from

>ask somebody from a country called "the United States" where they're from
>be surprised when they respond with their state

Because their states are bigger than any european countries outside of Ukraine so they think it matters. But the thing is that there is no cultural differences between states and they are pretty much useless at that point so they could just say they come from the USA
That's like me saying I come from Provence, who the fuck cares, it's really just a administrative division now

this. The only thing that differentiates the coasts from flyover territories are the amount of butthurt.

yeah sure whatever

>But the thing is that there is no cultural differences between states

Between Ohio and Indiana? Definitely not. Mississippi and California? They're preactically different countries lol

Russia, China, Brazil, no big country except for the USA specified where they're from.

Arn't there significant differences in culture between the various areas of France? I mean, aren't places like Normandy or Brittany distinct?

We identify with our state, not our country.

Barely
Times change, now it's nearly all the same sadly
The most important cultural difference is alcohol drinks now

it's almost like we're completely different countries or something...

;_;

LOL

Within the US:
>Where are you from?
>America
>Obviously. Which state?

Outside the US:
>Where are you from?
>America
>Yeah no shit, fatty, which part?

>when asked where they are from?
Gee, I would think that someone cares if they asked me where I was from

That is true for any of the mentioned countries, though.

Hi guys I'm from Sjælland

There are very few countries as large as the United States.
It's not an exaggeration at all to say that the United States is a federal union of different countries. We're philosophically more homogeneous than Europe, but each state is fundamentally different from another.

Why do you guys always talk about Normandy and Brittany when talking about french regions? Are those the only popular ones?

first major battle of the revolution

It's the world's biggest pastime. Even bigger that povertyball.

Well, I'm not from Maranhão nor from Rondônia, I'm from the Southeastern part of Brazil.

How do you feel about that?

I don't know, do you care to tell the difference between them?
That's a part of being sociable.

island scum, quit blockading the Baltic with your landmass, you even made Germany build a fucking canal (totally not because of storms)

its the only places our grandpas remembered the names of when they passed through in the 40s

Why do you give a shit?

because half this country is retarded and i want people to know that i am not a retard

Is New Hampshire a state? I've never heard it before

west russia and east russia are like completely different cultures
also provinces in china differ a lot culturally
and they dont answer "oh im from east russia" when , who gives a shit
u only ask that to get to know what is his mother language and nationality

yeah no fucking shit my point is that american culture evolved around the idea that all states are separate entities loosely bound together by the federal government

hello friend me too

sadly, this.

if you look closely , you could witness that some regions were radically different from each other in their food, mentality and especially their architecture. (Normandy is, for exemple, more relying on timber structures while provence is more relying on italian style stone houses with red roofs and colored walls with their roman past much more prevalent.)

but it's all disappearing with postmodernism and the international style of architecture. (we briefly had a regain of interest for hausmanian architecture but it faded away.)

No idea how true it is but I've heard that most people didn't even speak standard French well up until after the Napoleonic period.

youtube.com/watch?v=sEEx3oUuiII

mostly true. Everyone had their local patois and only the upper class spoke Parisian French. Jacobinism took a hard toll on regional languages, most of them left with a few hundred to a few thousand native speakers.

That's pretty funny, 10/10 would hang out with Ronald and Pammie and look at their travel pics

So you DO believe people care about your state. Hm...

We are young heart ache to heart ache we stand
youtu.be/IGVZOLV9SPo

Oh yes of course, that makes sense

>peek-a-boo
These guys are a riot
>remembers all of the names of the spooky ghosts they meet in the convenience store
Is there ANY reason at all to hate these people?
They're such nice people.

Anyoe would ask you where part of your country specifically are you from if said person already knows about your country. Id i'd ask a brazilian wich state he is from because i already know a lot about Brazil, whereas if it was someone from, say, Cambodia, i wouldn't go any further than the country's name.

The party rocked I'm told
youtu.be/ttD1sgo1ldc

They're scammers, didn't buy shit!

>buy a diamond receive a free shotgun
A true American love story

Someone in the comments said how they used American tourists because you wouldn't be able to get away with it if it were natives.

Because Americans engage in this thing called small talk that apparently no other country has, and a common question during small talk among Americans is: "Where are you from?" because so many Americans end up moving over the course of their lives for a variety of reasons. The answer to this question gives the asker insight on how the other person thinks and acts based on the stereotypes associated with that region of the country. We get conditioned into believing that the other person knows what it means when someone says they're from Massachusetts, Texas, or California.

Also, people can just be proud of where they're from and want to clarify which set of imaginary lines within an imaginary line they were born in.

Brazil is huge, so I know there has to be regional cultures and stereotypes associated with them. Why does this surprise you?

Because it's completely normal behaviour. Not only would they be used of saying it when people ask them back in the US, but to anyone who isn't clueless in the world, they would hear them speak and know they are American by their accent.

It saves time.