Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=A0WHlk3PhdA
youtube.com/watch?v=BhjDnrw34QA
youtube.com/watch?v=tKrei80jBg8
youtube.com/watch?v=AxAEo3CWeq8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

WHO AM I, GIMLI?

SALTED AXE?

Trivia question: what minor action of Gimli's, added by Jackson, ruins the entire story?

youtube.com/watch?v=A0WHlk3PhdA
Was the book this comical?

>Axe embedded it his nervous system

>SALTED PORK
I still don't grasp how they were allowed to portray such haram filth back then.

*shudders*

Bad dialogue, but nope.

>I have eyes of a hawk and ears of a fox!

Friendly reminder that the best adaptation of LotR that will ever exist was the BBC radio drama.

Gimli's taken seriously and is a great character.

If he was the last of his kind how come Hadhod exists?

More bad dialogue but still no.

that he had a beard?

Come on.

hey I don't read books man reading is gay

what is this great trivia secret tell me

When he's afraid of ghosts

While book Gimli never comically tries to blow away the ghosts he fully admits he was frightened of them, and says that only because of Aragorn was he able to press forward, and he was shamed that a man and elf showed more courage since he always believed himself to be braver.

That he lost a drinking contest against an elf

Not that guy and I gave this a pass because it was an extended edition scene but yes it was stupid that Legolas wasn't affected by alcohol considering that his people being blackout drunks was a plot point in The Hobbit.

Are you memeing when you say it ruins the story, that it's not that big a deal?

Or does it actually ruin the story, a big plothole or inaccurate to the books?

when he allows himself to be tossed by Legolas in one of the later movies

It ever mentioned in the books that Dwarves are very hearty drinkers? Because the Hobbit does say it takes very potent wine to get elves drunk.

I'm not meming.

Hint: it takes place in Fellowship.

Does it have something to do with him swinging his axe at the ring at the Council of Elrond?

There you go.

>I'm not meming

I'm not.

Explain. You mean because it's supposed to be impossible to want to destroy it or something? Some people are resistant to it. Frodo only succumbed after a long journey carrying it; if he'd reached Mount Doom earlier I don't think he would have caved at the last second.

>Some people are resistant to it
Not only that, dwarves are even more resistant to the rings than the other races are

No he wouldn't.

>‘But why not destroy it, as you say should have been done long ago?’ cried Frodo again. ‘If you had warned me, or even sent me a message, I would have done away with it.’
>‘Would you? How would you do that? Have you ever tried?’
>‘No. But I suppose one could hammer it or melt it.’
>‘Try!’ said Gandalf. ‘Try now!’
>Frodo drew the Ring out of his pocket again and looked at it. It now appeared plain and smooth, without mark or device that he could see. The gold looked very fair and pure, and Frodo thought how rich and beautiful was its colour, how perfect was its roundness. It was an admirable thing and altogether precious. When he took it out he had intended to fling it from him into the very hottest part of the fire. But he found now that he could not do so, not without a great struggle. He weighed the Ring in his hand, hesitating, and forcing himself to remember all that Gandalf had told him; and then with an effort of will he made a movement, as if to cast it away – but he found that he had put it back in his pocket.

No one is able to try and harm the Ring.

They're more resistant than humans, but to be fair it's made clear over the course of Tolkien's works that hobbits are the most resistant of all mortals.

Dwarves proved resistant only to the effect of domination by Sauron. They were not resistant to desire to use the rings, which they did to their destruction.

Hobbits are literally the only race noted to have any sort of resistance. There's a reason Gandalf won't even touch the damn thing.

If that were true, why did Gandalf even send them on the quest to begin with? Also, by your logic no one would even be able to begin the journey to Mount Doom with the intent to destroy the Ring, which is clearly what happened in LotR; they even managed to get to the very precipice of the volcano.

Logically, that can't be true, since men are noted to be swayed by the Ring's influence to a greater degree than other races.

because the ring wants to go to Mordor because that's where Sauron is.

It doesn't want to go to the top of the volcano, though, considering how perilous that is for it.

>If that were true, why did Gandalf even send them on the quest to begin with?
Gandalf knew or suspected there was going to be a different end to the quest.

> Also, by your logic no one would even be able to begin the journey to Mount Doom with the intent to destroy the Ring
There's a difference between travelling to Mordor (which indeed is not even against the Ring's interests) and taking a direct and deliberate action like trying to smash it. Again, there's a reason Tolkien described the above scene.

just read the fucking book and find answers yourself

Look at the kind of shit the ring pulls on Sam. It promises to make him the world's greatest gardener. That's literally all the ambition it had to work with. The ring's most effective on people who desire a lot and especially on people who are already powerful because they can imagine themselves ruling the whole damn world. It's least effective on beings who desire very little and has no effect on someone who desires nothing.

Are you saying Gandalf knew beforehand that Gollum would bite Frodo's finger off and then stumble into the lava? Impressive oracular powers.

As for deliberate actions towards destroying the Ring, I'd say walking to the edge of the platform in Mount Doom, mere centimeters away from dropping into literally the only thing that could destroy it, is a pretty big threat. If the Ring were truly capable of preventing any action taken towards destroying it, why would it allow Frodo and Sam to get so close? There's no way this kind of omnipotence over people's minds is consistent with the story.

>since men are noted to be swayed by the Ring's influence to a greater degree than other races
When is this noted?

>Are you saying Gandalf knew beforehand
He doesn't know the details, but he clearly thinks (or at least hopes) for something else.

>, is a pretty big threat. If the Ring were truly capable of preventing any action taken towards destroying it
That is not what I said, and since you've just proven you will misquote me this is the end of this conversation. I said taking a direct and deliberate action. The Ring's control is not absolute, but no one tries to actively harm it, and no one could have.

youtube.com/watch?v=BhjDnrw34QA
1:33
>"Nine rings were gifted to the race of men who above all else desire power"

>the elf mustn't know

Wanted to say it was Aragorn, but he was off playing with Ouija boards.

Who threw the dwarf?

Men are more prone to lust for power than the other races, and that is the main thing exploited by the Ring. The most visible example in the story is the fate of the Ringwraiths, compared to what happened to Elrond, Galadriel and Cirdan, who were also given Rings of Power.

Dwarfs are resistant to everything, have oyu not played Warcraft(s)?

>The most visible example in the story is the fate of the Ringwraiths, compared to what happened to Elrond, Galadriel and Cirdan, who were also given Rings of Power.
That's hardly a fair comparison. For one thing, the three Elven rings were uncorrupted by Sauron unlike the nine given to the Ringwraiths. For another, the three are only worn when Sauron does not have the One Ring.

how is that a false statement though? The problem with the races is that you can't narrow them down to one archetype since elves, while more in harmony with nature and very into art and music and so on, do on the other hand strive to build cities and are easily jealous and control freaks and tend to want to amass power as well. The humans are the same except they are more industrious and shortsighted.

Hadhod dies before him. Presto.

I thought they have to touch the ring before they fall under it's power. Gimli never did.

All the rings were made for elves who are already immortal and spiritual so they don't do things like turn invisible or go crazy from living too long.

They still have desires that the One Ring can exploit.

>I thought they have to touch the ring before they fall under it's power.
Where did that idea come from?

it was Aragorn.

youtube.com/watch?v=tKrei80jBg8

Shame that Gimli was reduced to nothing more than a comic relief character in the movies

>direct and deliberate action

This is the whole problem. Their actions were both direct and deliberate all the way up to the precipice. It doesn't hold up with the events of the story to view it in absolute terms like that. I wonder what prerequisites you think need to be met for the Ring's supposed automated mind block to kick in. It can't be danger, because in that case it should have begun much sooner. I view it more as a battle of wills, with the Ring constantly whispering in your ear, trying to persuade you to do what it wants. On some people and in some cases, it works instantly, but with others it does not.

youtube.com/watch?v=AxAEo3CWeq8

>faggots still talking about the most boring movies

when he cried like a bitch when he realized that the dwarves that came into the mines have died

Just for your sake you can get one last post:

>Taking it to Mount Doom with the intent to destroy it=taking it out of his pocket with the intent to destroy it
>Throwing it into the lava=throwing it into his fireplace

One type of action is a direct attempt to harm the Ring, and one isn't. Hence why one is possible, and one isn't.

>Randall's favorite Star Wars movie was Return of the Jedi, an opinion that he adamantly defended
>thinking that anyone should value his opinion on any movie, ever.

In fairness Dante was correct that Empire is the better movie but his specific reasons given for it being better were all wrong.

How did Gimli know what a nervous system was?

Making them go through Moria?

Because hes a Dwarf

When he checked these dubs.

he went to dwarf university and majored in neuroscience

>ARGH I CAN'T SEE

3 hairs of galadriel

Also if the rings ultimate goal is to get back to Sauron it almost succeeded. It was literally in Mordor with the Nazgul on their way to kill Frodo until LOL GOLLUM.

It's been years since I've listened to it, but I think that during the audio commentary for one of the movies, the actor who plays Gimli talks about how Gimli's fear is tied into superstition, so he doesn't care about facing off against a thousand orcs all by himself, but is terrified of elf witches and creepy ghosts.

That isn't really bad, it's just showing that Gimli puts on a lot of bravado in tense circumstances

>THAT STILL ONLY COUNTS AS ONE
it was obviously more than one if you count all the people on the Mumakils back