Joanna Newsom is objectively the only musical genius of the 21st century so far. She is the peak of modern music...

Joanna Newsom is objectively the only musical genius of the 21st century so far. She is the peak of modern music. Say something nice about this Goddess.

Other urls found in this thread:

last.fm/user/chairmandore/library
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimes_(musician)#Musical_style
pandora.com/station/2895208146671614201
i-d.vice.com/en_au/article/life-after-whimsy-joanna-newsom-is-no-ethereal-creature
rookiemag.com/2015/10/joanna-newsom-interview/4/
spin.com/2015/11/joanna-newsom-divers-interview/
rbt.asia/mu/thread/77985898/#77988194
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

she is pretty good

*Sufjan blocks your path*

she must be pretty damn good with her hands

Bitch PLEASE. Real genius coming through!

Fuck off roastie cunt reeee, women can't into music

But Taylor doesn't even write her own songs.

She's my favorite musician ever. I'm not qualified to call anyone a genius, but she probably is.

yet she will never touch Bob Dylan.

women cannot compete against men in talent.

Yeah, her body of work is pretty great.

Legit came to Sup Forums a minute ago to post about her. Ys almost brings me to tears within the first minute

Women are a meme

I wonder what else she can do with those hands

also reminder that she's married to the guy who did "Diaper Money"

if joanna fucking newsom decides to marry someone (and have a kid with them) then he's probably alright.

Sure he seems like a cool guy, but it's just kinda funny to me that their styles are pretty much complete opposites

August Rush in a nutshell.

the GOAT

This is top 30 GOAT unironically

There hasn’t been a single musical genius in the 21st century.

Except her, user.

it's honestly top 10 for me

Think again

Kanye is honestly the closest besides Joanna. The dude's kinda ruined his legacy after MBDTF tho

TL;DL

The album was too short t b h

Yeezus is better than MBTDF you pleb

Yeezus and TLOP have some of the most choppy production I've ever heard. Agreeing that an amazing album is amazing doesnt make you a pleb. But thinking a piece of shit album is better than an acclaimed masterpiece of an album does make you an idiot.

Adam Wiltzie released the following albums in the 21st century:

>Aix Em Klemm (2000)
>The Tired Sounds Of (2001)
>The Dead Texan (2004)
>And Their Refinement of the Decline (2007)
>A Winged Victory for the Sullen (2011)

All quality, and 2 are masterpieces.

literally the two kanye albums with the best production

Dylan is a hack. The only thing he has is his influence. If you take the influence away he is nothing compared to Joanna.

>hack

Opinion discarded.

It's number 1

He isn't a hack but he is overrated.

she's good

bump

couldn't stand her voice when i first heard her. sounded really screechy.

i'll give her another chance though

He ain't finished yet user

bjork is the genius of both 20th and 21st century ;/

jimi hendrix and townes van zandt of the 20th

The game?

Ys is the best album ever written, user.

Pretty sure I went through some kind of mini existential crisis after some her her songs clicked with me. Monkey and bear is hitting me prettg hard atm

Is it bad if someone says 'objectively' I just tune out everything they have to say?

you misspelled Ariel Pink

No, that makes you a regular person. Being an adult is when you filter both "objectively" and "that's subjective!" comments out.

the milk eyed mender is to ys, as ys is to have one on me. huge artistic strides between the albums

this

ariel sex.

>women
>good at anything

nice joke

What are Joanna's best 3 songs?

I'll go:
- Emily
- Sadie
- In California

What's the other girl called? Timbre or something. She's fucking terrible.

true

What an angel

Composers exist user, and many of them are legitimate geniuses rather than just unorthodox songwriters.

Better than you

i don't even like her but i must admit that there is an element of genius in her work

agreed
the guy even predicting his own timeline

i fucking love stars of the lid but adam willzie sure as hell ain't no musical genius

>Ariel Pink

He's not though, he's literally one of the few musicians who get all the praise they deserve.

Kanye shits on Newsom every day of the week and it's not even a close comparison
nt though OP

>thinking Kanye is even above average intelligence

I really don't understand this meme

Don't worry user, I doubt you understand much in general

I understand pop music is all about marketing and that popular "artists" generally aren't that smart.

I'm guess I know more about music than you (do you have a music degree?) but this is Sup Forums so no one can prove anything.

Every Joanna album is a 10/10, you fucking idiots.

i never knew it was her in the mgmt kids music video and when i found out i was like :)

her music's pretty cool too

* BLOCKS YOUR PATH *

Joanna Newsom:
>I loved the latest Bjork album, I'm excited about the idea of Grimes. I haven't wrapped my head around the record. I find her so compelling and so unlike anybody else and so incredibly talented, skilled, and fun. I love her. I met her in LA a few months ago, she told me something along the lines of, "I grew up listening to your music". I will say, it made me feel really old for about five minutes, then it made me feel really happy. I was like well, I guess I'm old now, but that's okay because this awesome and amazing young musician likes my music and said that it was special to her when she was younger, so that's great.

>I started to think of it as waveforms. The violin is not an uglier sound than the flute, it’s just a jagged waveform instead of a smooth waveform. There are certain things that, musically, I prefer over others: I like music that is in tune, I prefer when singers are in tune, I prefer when I’m in tune. In terms of people today, as I said, I’m a little out of the loop, but I have noticed I’m really excited by the way that Grimes frames herself, and seems utterly disinterested in her own beauty, which is really exciting to me. Sometimes it’s useful for an idea, and then other times it’s not useful for an idea, and she seems unaffected either way. I like her music as well, and I like what she says.

>I’m super excited that Grimes is getting so much attention for her amazing production too because she’s super, super talented. And she does everything! She produces completely on her own.

GRIMES PROFILE:
>Full name: Claire Elise Boucher
>Born: 17 March 1988 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
>Origin: Québécois, Ukrainian, Russian and Italian descent
>Instruments: vocals, synthesizer, sampler, keyboard, guitar, bass, drums, violin, ukulele, ehru

>Skills:
- singer
- songwriter
- producer
- sound engineer
- live performer
- visual artist
- music video director
- dancer
- model
- writer

>Main interests:
Music, visual arts, dancing, books, films, modeling, video games, internet, and others

>Music taste:
last.fm/user/chairmandore/library
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimes_(musician)#Musical_style
pandora.com/station/2895208146671614201

>Others:
- Grimes does everything in her music, from singing and songwriting to artwork and production
- nice personality, beautiful look, cares about environment issues and saving animals
- took her name from grime music after discovering the existence of the genre on Myspace
- studied ballet for 11 years
- was a goth outcast in high school
- studed neuroscience, philosophy, and Russian literature and McGill University before being dropped out for missing classes
- started making music when she was around the age of 22 or 23
- big Lord of the Rings, Dune, Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Abbess Hildegard von Bingen and Russian literature fan

no

the grimesfags arrived guys. Time to abandon the thread.

XDDDDDDDDDDDD EPIC
WE DID IT REDDIT XDDDD

If that whole quote is true, that's called being nice to a little autistic kid.

>Emily
>Baby Birch
>Sapokanikan

the quotes are true. and no, joanna isn't just nice to her. joanna actually loves grimes. deal with it, autist.

>that whole quote
actually those are from 3 different interviews. so, it's not a fluke.

i-d.vice.com/en_au/article/life-after-whimsy-joanna-newsom-is-no-ethereal-creature
rookiemag.com/2015/10/joanna-newsom-interview/4/
spin.com/2015/11/joanna-newsom-divers-interview/

do a ctrl f grimes and see for yourself. and weep.

lorde is also a grimes fan: Sup Forums btfo!

Here are your (You)s

Don't mention it, it was my pleasure

(You)

after divers joanna newsom is unfortunately a hack

nice ass doe

Let's do a quick checklist though, so that nobody ITT is fooled by your shenanigans.

Timbre has better:
-Vocals
-Compositions
-Playing ability

While Joanna has... a quirky Tumblr backstory and references to books she's never read... and a fat ass... great.

(you)

This has the air of a shitpost but I've never listened to Timbre so I can't be sure. Could you post some examples of her compositions and explain why they're superior to Joanna's?

Kanye > Newsom > literal garbage > my poop today > Grimes

Timbre is also uglier. And she doesn't have Ryan Francesconi on her side. Nor has she learned anything from Steve Albini or Van Dyke Parks.

grimes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> you + your entire family of idiots

If anybody else made Divers it would be hailed as album of the year across the board. Just because it was more of the same of her doesnt mean it was bad. More of the same of Joanna Newsom isnt a bad thing.

it wasn't more of the same, hoom was more of the same, divers was just trash

Winged Victory is unironically album of the decade

You have not listened to all four of her albums if you honestly believe that Have One on Me was more of the same. That's just objectively wrong bro..

This

rbt.asia/mu/thread/77985898/#77988194
this+next post
in class so I can’t respond very well
its provacative but not a shitpost

They aren't. She's not bad by any means but she's just boring. Listen to one song you've heard them all.

please explain how sanctus and song for the sun are similar in any way

If she wasn't hot and played harp no one would give a shit about her.
Her voice is annoying and her music is predictable indie pop, the only difference being she gets some exposure unlike the other million similar artists on soundcloud.
Oh and she's married to that jewish actor, sure opens doors

she’s really good
people like to shitpost about Friendo’s without listening because he’s a dick but you should give her a chance if you like Newsom, I like them both

Exceptions to the rule just further prove the rule. I still love what's I've heard from Timbre, but she's no Joanna. They're not even a good comparison imo. I go to Joanna for lyrics and I go to Timbre for mood.

Divers is 10/10 guys

>Joanna Newsom
>predictable indie pop
okay