Can some indians explain your language system to an uncultured american...

Can some indians explain your language system to an uncultured american? I had to do a project with an indian and he was saying how every region has their own dialect and other regions can't understand each other but there is also a universal language that most people speak. Wouldn't that be like every state in the US speaking a slightly different way but all understanding english? How does that even happen? If I remember correctly he was from the region that speaks telugu

well some dialects are actually really not understandable, in norway or india for people from other part of country.
in US you can understand everybody, except people in some states will be using certain words more often, but they're still english and not made up

you seem to have forgotten that ten percent of our population is black

They are not dialects, they are completely different languages.

Dialects are only in the Hindi belt, the rest of the states have proper different languages

so do you have a common language otherwise how the fuck do you talk to each other

Modern India is a mix of different kingdoms existed in the Indian subcontinent, they spent longer time on separation than unity so you should consider them as different languages rather than unintelligible dialect, like the Chinese/German dialect. Using a new world country as a comparison to the language development of India is quite inappropriate since they aren't in the same category at the first place, you should at least compare it with Latin and see how Latin flourish the Romance languages as a comparison of how Sanskrit/Pali flourish the languages in Indian subcontinent

my college class has people from every state, and almost everyone understands hindi except the ones who come from tamil nadu and kerala. we converse with them in english.

english and hindi

My college has Two Nepali and a Bhutanese students and all three of them can speak Hindi. And there are also a few students from South India who can't speak Hindi. What's the issue with South Indians.

Your freind is stupid and doesnt know the difference between dialects and languages.

Hindi, or English among educated people.
Every state has a state language that is used for all purposes except in higher education where English is used. However a majority if people do not speak English so Hindi is effectively the lingua franca of the country. Hindi and English are the official languages only at national level but not at state level for non-Hindi states. For example the official language of Karnataka is only Kannada and not Hindi. All government primary schools teach in Kannada only. However all colleges and high secondary schools ( something like high schools) teach in English. The government uses Kannada and de facto, English for all purposes. Hindi is not imposed upon the states the way Russian was imposed on the non-Russian republics in the USSR, but most people educated or not understand it because they hear it in media.
Hindi, Bengali, Gujarati, Marathi, Oriya, Punjabi, Nepali, Konkani, Kashmiri and Assamese are Indo-Iranian languages. Of these Hindi, Marathi, Konkani and Nepali are written in the Devanagari script. Assamese and Bengali are written in the Assamese-Bengali script. Kashmiri is written in the Perso-Arabic script. Rest have their own language-specific scripts.
Kannada, Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam are Dravidian languages. They are supposed to be completely unrelated to the Indo-Iranian languages but they share a very large amount of vocabulary in the form of loan words. All these languages have their own language-specific scripts.
Besides these two language families several Sino-Tibetic languages like Meitei, Mizo, Garo, Lepcha, Bhutia, Ladakhi etc are also spoken in the Northeast and Himalayan region. These languages except Meitei in Manipur (written nowadays in the Bengali-Assamese script) are not traditionally written languages so they are not used for official purposes. Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh and Meghalaya only have English medium schools and English is the formal language of the government.

Also, there are a few Austroasiatic (same family as Vietnamese and Khmer) languages like Khasi, Mundari, Ho and Santali. This accounts for a total of five million speakers or so. Traces of Tai-Kadai languages (same family as Thai and Lao) can be found in the Brahmaputra valley) like Ahom.
Nepali as in Sikkim Nepali or actually from Nepal? Either way Nepali is very similar to Hindi and it's much easier for them to pick up than it is for South Indians.

Nepali from Actual Nepal. One guy is a Newar and other is Chetri.

For Nepali people it may be easy, but the Bhutanese student speaks Dzonkha as her native language, but still she can speak hindi (although not perfectly)

English because of the Raj

How many foreigners in your college? Is it a private college? I am a Bengali in Bangalore and it's true most South Indians can't speak Hindi. Neither can most Bengalis to be fair. They live very far from the cultural influence of Hindi and the language has no practical use for them. The Naga guy in my class speaks Hindi well because in CBSE schools Hindi is the only second language subject for them. None of their tribal languages are taught in school and are only seen as vernacular spoken languages. I've heard from my grandparents that many people in Kathmandu can understand Hindi. Most Newars live in and around Kathmandu but their own mother tongue (Newari) is Sino-Tibetic and completely different from Hindi, so I don't know. It looks like this, has a lot of loan words from Sanskrit though:
सिद्धिदास महाजु (वास्तविक नाम सिद्धिदास अमात्य) नेपाल भाषाका महाकवि हुन्। उनले रामायणलाई नेपाल भाषामा अनुवाद गर्नुका साथै नैतिकतासँग सम्बन्धित निकै कविताहरू रचना रचना गर्नुका साथै सज्जन हृदयाभरण, सत्यसती, संवाद, सिद्धिदास थःगु मिखाय् व शिवविलास बाखं आदि दजनौ कृतिहरु रचना गरेका छन् ।

There are many foreigners from Africa, Middle East and other South Asian Countries.

Yes it is a private college.

Damn, it literally looks like a North Indian language. It's surprising that it has Sino-Tibetic roots.
*Dzongkha
not Dzonkha :)

>mizo
>bhili
:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDd

What's so funny? Mizoram is the state for Mizo- speaking people. Bhili, Nissi, Ao just happen to be the largest languages in those places. As in, there are more people who do not speak those languages there and there is no dominant majority language.

>""""""issue"""""", get back into your slum pajeet

That paragraph is in Nepali language and not in Newari language.

Here you go, pic related

Dialects means that - People can understand what the other guy is saying but difficulty a like a few words are different, or some words means entirely different or the accent is very different. There is also a slight difference in the rules of Grammar

Some languages are like Dialects but more hard and a written entirely different even though they sound familiar, i.e. you can make sense of the other when you are listening it but won't be able to read it at all

And some languages are entirely different languages

Shhh...kisi ko mat batana, they'll turn this fail into a meme too.
What a stupid chart. There are far more people who speak Khasi and Garo than Bengali in Meghalaya. They've done the same for all NE states.

Is Bhili more closed to Gujarati or to Marathi?

Gujarati

Mizo: milk brand in Hungary
bili: peepee-poopoo pot for toddlers

My coworkers were Nepalese and they always watched Hindi TV on their smartphone.