It only took a few years, but the MLS is now a legitimate rival to euro soccer leagues...

It only took a few years, but the MLS is now a legitimate rival to euro soccer leagues. The top players in the world will start coming here to play in their prime and the euro leagues will become a joke.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Soccer_League
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Soccer_League_(1968–84)
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>burger delusion

impressive amount of people 2bh

when i saw shots of this stadium last week it looked like they had tarped off the top tier of the stadium because they couldn't sell enough tix

sure thing

The new Atlanta stadium looks amazing tbdesu.

>Big crowd = good quality

>in their prime

lol, the mls is the retirement home of soccer leagues

It isnt so much that they cant sell the tickets; its planned ahead of times which games they will be opening the entirety of the stadium up for and which ones they'll block sections off for. The Sounders do a similar thing at CenturyLink.

It allows the teams to operate almost entirely at 'sellout' capacity in the 38-40k range by just selling the lower/middle bowls for the majority of the season, while gauging growth on the games in which they open up the other sections for to determine and gauge interest to increase the amount of tickets/sections they sell every year.

It allows them to grow the fan/season ticket holder base, while keeping the prices affordable as they dont 'run out of seats.' They have room to grow into the building incrementally over time.

Some teams in smaller buildings, like Orlando who just got a fancy new SSS, probably already need renovations to fit more seats in.

yeah i see that now, i saw on wikipedia that the capacity is 42,500 but can rise to 71,000 which is a huge step up.

there's a club here called MK dons that did something similar with the new stadium they built a few years ago, except they didn't bother putting the seats in on the top tier and just left it as an ugly grey mess while they gauged local interest in the team. they've put the seats in now though.

Are all those MLS teams who just built 20k seat stadiums panicking due to their short-sightedness?

Wont be popular enough until the jews find a way to shill 500 commercials a game

Ouch

No one in the history of football between now and eternity will EVER choose an American team over a Champions League team from France, Italy, Spain, Germany or England

No other continent or country can possibly ever recreate something as big as the Champions League, and that's why Europe will always and forever be the home of football

i think its weird how mls can get 40k but nba and nhl get under 20k

i know that is the capacity, but why not either build bigger arenas, or just play in stadiums? surely they could install some underground cooling system to stop the ice melting

seems weird to only accept 20k when you could probably sell out over double that

But who will watch the matches? Mexican immigrants?

There are already ads everywhere.
Sponsorship on a kit is worth dozens of millions

wow. Nice stadium. Multi-purpose?

Don't know about NHL but NBA games would be impossible to watch in huge arenas. The courts are too small.

There are also tons of NBA teams in smaller markets like OKC and Memphis that can't really handle bigger arenas.

NBA and NHL tickets prob cost a lot more. also NBA has a lot more games i think??

The areas of play are too small

You'd need binoculars to watch hockey in a 70k arena

You'd probably get away with it in basketball due to the bigger ball

seeing an MLS game live is objectively better than watching it on TV
watching an NBA game on tv is objectively better than watching it live
in no small part because of the fact that football games rarely have their own fucking DJs like nba games do

Well, they definitely would if the MLS gets into a position to start paying them more. And you say that, but the world cup seems to manage to recreate something bigger than the champions league every 4 years, usually in 3rd world shit holes.

also this. last toronto fc game i saw cost 32 dollars for two tickets. the average toronto maple leafs ticket is like 80 bucks for the nosebleed seats.

Yeah, its primarily a football (american) stadium for the Atlanta Falcons, but their MLS team shares it with them. The roof will be open tonight for the Falcons game.

Better picture to show size of video board/roof. pretty impressive bit of engineering.

NBA has the same amount of games as the NHL at 82. Also it all depends on the market, but, I think the prices are roughly the same on average. Although courtside NBA tickets are generally more expensive than front row NHL tickets.

You can get tickets to an atlanta hawks game for like $90, but good fucking luck getting to a golden state game for under $300. In my city shitty seats to an NHL game are like $75, and good ones are like $275 I think, but thats in Winnipeg. Its probably a lot more in cities like new york, toronto or montreal

Remember the New York Cosmos?

>A playoff game against the Fort Lauderdale Strikers in 1977 drew a crowd of 77,691, a record for American club soccer.[14] The team's average attendances, regularly over 40,000 during the late 1970s, were the biggest in the league;[10] this helped it to become regarded as the league's "marquee club", both commercially and competitively.

Oh yea...

I have to admit, that's pretty aesthetic.

NFL/MLS with College Football conference championships. Only downside is turf rather than grass

I dont think so. San Jose, the two LA's, Red Bulls, and Dynamo appear to be in the correct sized buildings, and I know a few of them (San Jose sticks out specifically) have very easy renovation paths if the demand truly exceeds the supply.

I just dont understand why Orlando went from filling the Citrus Bowl with 35-40k to a 25k stadium. Maybe its built for easy expansion as well.

I wish the Sounders would get a SSS, but I also would be absolutely against them moving to anything short of 45k. Would be full retard from a business standpoint, and would really turn a lot of fans off by a) not meeting the demand and b) pricing them out of the market.

>American Soccer
>Teams with the exact same nicknames in the same league

Ofcc it won't happen. The MLS has a clusterfuck of salary cap rules and complicated workarounds. They need to get rid of the salary cap, it's the biggest curse on American sports.

No they wouldn't.

China already offers the biggest contracts in football history, and no elite players have left to play there.

>defense clap clap clap

Because no one wants to live in China

Everyone wants to live here. When MLS is able to pay the way they want, it will take over

Seriously, give it up. Nobody gives a shit about soccer. It's boring, and that's coming from someone who like's basebore.

>someone who likes basebore
>having relevant opinions

pick 1

Everyone in the world but you lot cares about football.

>Americans actually believe this

Clueless.

No elite player will ever play in America in their prime, because all elite players want to play against other elite players and clubs in the Vhampions League, something which you will never be able to emulate. None of your clubs or competitions have prestige, reputation or history and it is impossible to try and build that from scratch to overtake the Europeans who already have it in bucketloads, and are even expanding it in Asia and America. Every elite club in Europe has more fans in America than any American team has

Stop talking about a sport you have no clue about. Back to /advert egg/ with you

It's literally the GOAT sport.
Good thing I'm in the 90th percentile of global net worth and thus am someone these businesses care about. Businesses don't give a shit if you're some favela monkey and you don't buy jerseys/tickets.

Soccerball is more popular in the US than it is in entire other countries like Australia or India. This logic that "nobody gives a shit about soccer in the US" just because its 5th or 6th behind the rest doesn't really hold at all, the attendances are significant.

shit that's cool

Do hooligans jump into the field while chanting "attack *clap, clap, clap*"?

>american sports
>phony nicknames chosen by (((executives)))

Only if they're going doopin' mental

It wont be as hard as you think. Soccer is growing rapidly here as evidenced by Atlanta. We have already gotten names like Villa, Lampard, Schweinsteiger, Drogba, Gerrard, Kaka and more with more to come.

Really the only barrier is the salary cap, and ESPN ignoring everything about MLS. Those two things will change eventually and MLS will rival your yuro leagues which are really not that special. In fact, it already rivals them now.

>implying someone who earns less than $20k can afford to go to a sporting event in America

dumb burger

That's my point you fucking cuck. If you can't put down $$$, teams don't give a fuck about your fandom.
>Implying you can even afford to buy anything with your shit maple syrup monopoly money

>Soccer will replace football you fat americlaps!
>MLS won't be t-that successful!
Loving every laugh

likewise, no one gives a fuck about what poor NEETs like yourself think about sports, dumb burger

Now now, leaf... Wouldn't want to go calling people names. What would Trudeau think of this?

That you're an assblasted basebore cuckhold?

Where did your flag go?

I'm in France now. eh eh

They New York cosmos actually came back a few years ago. The play in the NASL, which is i like because it's what you'd except out of American soccer, but it's about 20x cringier. They were originally in Hofstra Us 12,000-seater but moved to a 7,000 seater in Brooklyn. The crowds it attracts are nowhere near that of the original cosmos. They can't even fill up 5,000 seats and at least 4,000 of those people got the tickets from someone who didn't want to go because their so bad

They actually have an ultras group of maybe 100 people, and it's literally a bunch of people lighting green flares and waving Nigerian flags

>Those two things will change eventually and MLS will rival your yuro leagues which are really not that special. In fact, it already rivals them now.

literally burst out lauging there

The thing with Europe is that Europe has history, and a certain culture behind it. South America has some of the best in the world, yet they all come to Europe. Even the best Americans went to Europe in their primes. Because of all that, it's more likely that the Cypriot league will become a powerhouse than the MLS or the A-League

Those crowds were because that had names like Beckenbauer and Pele. Cosmos signing big names actually helped kill the NASL

Atlanta isn't a great sports city. There's a lot of transplants not loyal to the existing teams, but the United presents an opportunity for them to adopt something. They're a new ticket in town, so interest is high on them right now but it'll taper off eventually.

The original or reboot? The reboot has had a few big names but not as much as the original

What's the difference between the MLS and NASL

if you are an MLS reject you go to NASL, which is the tier 2 league

MLS the top league, NASL is the second league
MLS is where the best Americans go, and legends go to retire. Up until a few years ago the MLS was a cluster fuck of teams going bankrupt and shitty playing quality. Now it's the same without the failing teams.

NASL has only 8 teams, and they're in basically in the most seemlingy random spots. There are teams in New York, Sam Fran, jax, Miami, bayamon, Indianapolis, and motherfucking Edmonton. NASL has always been a cluster fuck, but then again it's only 7 years old. 17 teams have played in NASL and its 17 years old. They all their went bankrupt, got promoted to MLS from expansion efforts, or got demoted to USL for no apparent reason.

If you meant the original NASL from the 70s then it's literally the same as MLS

>en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Soccer_League
>en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Soccer_League_(1968–84)
>en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer

It actually lost tier 2 status i think

I've never heard of any big names in NASL, only big name i've heard in modern lower divisions is Drogba in the USL, and that's because he owns the team he plays on

You're so fucking delusional, holy shit. Dont ever show your autism outside of your r*dditor containment general /mlels/

I know everything about MLS, no seriously, I mean there is not one thing I don't know about it, the history, the players, the fields, teams and trade/salary rules. I can't even begin to tell you how many people I have pwned in my 10 years on Sup Forums but let me tell you it's a lot, a hell of a lot. For all intensive purposes I should just hold back some of this mountain of knowledge I possess, my mind is just a powerhouse of MLS facts and figures, but what can I say I like to educate my fellow Sup Forumsartans, surely you've all seen me relentlessly push /mls/ on Sup Forums for years now and seen my superior knowledge of the game and seen my sharp wit and clever use of greentxt at play. Surely you have seen me post picture after picture of stats and facts that prove how GOAT America, San Jose, MLS and myself are, an it's all been for you fellow brothers, I know you all respect me an have huge amounts of admiration for me and my posting abilities, as a great man once said, I'm responsible for 90% of sports posts on Sup Forums, well I said it but you know it's true anyway. I'd just like you also to know I'd appreciate it if you asked my permission when starting a thread about MLS, USMNT, any US Soccer generals or anything really, to be safe just run everything though me as I am the man around here, Please could you also tell all the new trips that I am the example they must live up to an to follow my lead of informative and interesting posting skills, well I'm off to play some FIFA

Raul played for the cosmos for a few years. Freddy adu and Joe cole signed for the rowdies when the still were in the NASL. Eden hazard and some other guys own the San Diego expansion set to open next year, so they'll probably end up playing for them. I can't think of any others at the Moment but I'm sure there were others

No they still have it

Honestly when all of the best Athletes stop playing Apehoop and Concussionball the money America can pump into football they could start to dominate. But the franchise Jews of the NFL/NBA etc will never let it happen

>fell for the "all a successful football team needs is athleticism" meme that americans keep propagating

Basketball will never go away. There's a whole stigma in America that the coolest athletes are basketball players. Even in Europe Griezmann and aubameyang are seen with an American basketball player half the time.

Football won't go away either. They'll either revert to flag football or keep adding more rules.

If America does ever become a dominant soccer nation, MLS won't become a good league. Eastern Europeans were once the best in the world, but their leagues were never that good. Now the South Americans are the best in the world, but their leagues are that good either. It always was, and always will be the European leagues

>the MLS is now a legitimate rival to euro soccer leagues

if you want to compete with the european leagues you need to start buying relevant south american players while they are young.

MLS doesn't even rival Ascenso MX

>adu

NHL and NBA are capacity things, they are both more popular than MLS (10% favorite sport each v. 5% for MLS). If they got larger arenas it would be utterly impossible to watch so they cannot solve that. if they had areans the size of MLS the most popular teams (for example NYRangers, Canadiens, Blackhawks for NHL and Cavs, Warriors, Celtcs) would have very high attendence while many others wouldn't change much, which is essentially the same as MLS except the NHL and NBA have twice the games.

both, but the NHL and NBA both have 82 games v. MLS's 36, and the NHL and NBA have almost the same average attendance as the MLS. As an example, 17/30 teams in the NHL and 15/30 of NBA teams have greater total attendance than the Seattle sounders (most well attended MLS team at 724,809), and in the NHL it would be 20/30 if Nashville, Boston, and Winnipeg had slightly bigger stadiums (as they are all sold out every game at over max capacity). In the NHL everyone except for 1 team (Carolina) and everyone in the NBA has better total attendance than the 2nd most supported MLS team (Orlando at 532k)

Not even that, but most people at MLS games go because attending a game is fun, it's good to get out of the house, or someone gave them tickets. If you go to a soccer game in the US, I guarantee most of the people there don't even like soccer

He's not talking about athleticism alone, though. The entire coaching infrastructure of American sports is geared towards football, baseball, and basketball, in that order. There is a massive skill aspect that people overlook. American high school football has stadiums that cost upwards of $10 million.

>If America does ever become a dominant soccer nation, MLS won't become a good league. Eastern Europeans were once the best in the world, but their leagues were never that good. Now the South Americans are the best in the world, but their leagues are that good either.

You're either deliberately ignoring or accidentally overlooking something obvious: the shitty living standards and lack of money in Eastern Europe and South America. The US has the world's largest economy, and when you add Canada (since they're in MLS) it's even larger. If soccer's popularity rises, MLS salaries will drastically surpass UEFA salaries, and when that happens South American players will have no incentive to choose Europe over North America.

You need promotion and relegation before you'll get any respect from me

>a nation that lost to a part time dentist and an island with more volcanoes than footballers
No one cares what you mongoloids think anymore.

I think some of them lack the support to fill bigger stadiums still. Columbus is averaging 13k per match lel

In college basketball they do this for the final rounds of their tournament. They play in indoor NFL domes. And it's almost universally panned as being a terrible experience for the fans.

>If I post this one picture enough times, it'll become true!

you've failed to beat Panama x3, Honduras x2, Jaimaca, Costa Rica, New Zealand, Trinidad & Tobago, Guatemala and Venezuala in the past 2 years

wind your fat obese neck in. Iceland would rape the USA 5-0