Finn is the most like Luke in episode iv, just a fucking doofus man

Finn is the most like Luke in episode iv, just a fucking doofus man

Finn is literally the most likeable character in the new trilogy. Prove me wrong.

t. nog

he hasn't been introduced yet.

>Finn
so black he should have been named Swede

He's legitimately the only character to root for besides Han when he decides he's going to Starkiller to try and redeem his son. Poe is not (and wasn't supposed to be) involved enough to be a main character and Rey is both too mysterious and too effective at dealing with everything that comes at her to be sympathetic. Hell, Rey is closest to tiny Dennis-the-Phantom-Menace Anakin than any other Star Wars character.

I unironically like him the best in Ep7. He's not "the best of the best" like Poe or Rey or any other main character. He's a schmo who keeps getting in over his head, but when his friends are in danger, he steps in or does what he has to do (which is still way above his capabilities). Good contrast to how loyal he is to his friends when all the empire folk keep calling him a traitor.

house nigger

Luke wasn't an incompetent nigger who betrayed his friends

>how loyal he is to his friends
He helps the guy who killed his best friend escape and then suddenly they're best friends. His character is as poorly written as rey.

>He helps the guy who killed his best friend
I know the two troopers knew each other but I don't think anything has ever stated they were best friends, or even friends. Did Finn even know Poe killed the other trooper?

Being the most like Luke does not mean he actually is like Luke, just that everyone else is really unlike Luke.

Luke wanted adventure, Finn doesn't.
Luke wasn't afraid, Finn is.
Luke was naive, Finn isn't.
Luke wasn't a huge liar, Finn was.

They're both young adults who left behind their previous occupation, but then what?

>Luke was naive, Finn isn't.

I'd agree with all of the other points except this.

It's true tho. Well, there was Han but then there wasn't.

>Finn and the other stormtrooper
>best friends

What the fuck kind of fanfiction have you been reading?

Relative to their situation. Luke didn't have an understanding of the political context of the rebellion and didn't consider Obi-Wan's motives until Empire. Finn at least knows what the fuck is going on and tries to game himself out of it.

>It's true tho

I didn't find her that likely tbfam

whooping and hollering throughout the movie as he kills the guys he grew up with. Fuck this piece of shit movie.

Well, now that you've narrowed down the context, sure, in THAT specific point of view I would agree.

But Finn is demonstrably naive in other contexts.

He betrayed his former brothers over some no one? The movie was worse than I thought.

>FN-2003 was a stormtrooper who served in the First Order in the decades after the Galactic Civil War. He frequently fell behind the rest of his team, led by FN-2187, during their training simulations, leading to his nickname of "Slip." FN-2187 often had to rescue Slip in those simulations, including in one where the team assaulted a New Republic bunker with the objective of destroying a heavy repeating blaster. Slip was reprimanded by Captain Phasma after the simulation ended, and Phasma further ordered FN-2187 to stop rescuing Slip. As Phasma explained, Slip was the weakest link and helping him would weaken the First Order. During a strike at Pressy's Tumble, Slip redeemed himself in Phasma's eyes by executing an Abednedo negotiator.

>During a First Order raid on a sacred village on the planet Jakku, Slip was hit by blaster fire from Poe Dameron. FN-2187 went to help his squadmate, but FN-2003's wound proved fatal, Slip wiping his bloody hand on FN-2187's helmet before dying. His sudden and violent death contributed to FN-2187's decision to escape from First Order service.

>his former brothers
There's no indication that any of them are close. It's outright shown that a lot of them were brought in against their will at a young age (at least this group under ginger imperial officer)

There's lots to complain about regarding this movie. You managed to somehow find a complete non-issue instead, though

>Best friends

>I didn't find her that likely tbfam
what did he mean by this?

You think child soldiers raised together wouldn't form bonds? We see a hologram of finn as baby. He wasn't old enough to make a decision he was raised by the first order. They are all he knows.

>FN-2199 served in the First Order in the decades after the Galactic Civil War. Training in the FN Corps alongside FN-2000 ("Zeroes"), FN-2003 ("Slip"), and FN-2187 ("Eight-Seven"), he took the nickname "Nines" because he liked the sound of it. They trained under Captain Phasma, practicing in simulated combat for most of their lives. During their first deployment, the FN Corps was brought to the mining facility in Pressy's Tumble, an asteroid field, and ordered to kill the workers that had gone on strike. Initially reluctant, Nines followed as ordered once Slip and Zeroes opened fire.

>During the conflict between the First Order and the Republic-backed Resistance, Kylo Ren of the Knights of Ren sought part of a map that led to Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, who had vanished years earlier. The map was held by the astromech droid BB-8, who the First Order tracked to the castle of the pirate Maz Kanata on the planet Takodana. Nines was one of many First Order soldiers who were deployed to follow Ren to Takodana and assault the castle. During the ensuing battle, Nines encountered FN-2187—then known as "Finn"—who had defected from the First Order and was helping to bring BB-8 to the Resistance. Nines fought against Finn, who wielded a Jedi lightsaber, by utilizing a Z6 riot control baton. Nines gained the upper hand against Finn in single combat and nearly struck a blow against the defector, but was shot by Han Solo, who used Chewbacca's bowcaster, thus ending the fight.

>Nines was a human male who had red hair, blue eyes and light skin.[1] He was a loyal soldier in the armed forces of the First Order, so much so that he directly accused Finn, a former ally and friend of his, of being a traitor for defecting from the stormtrooper ranks.

Is this fanfiction?
Phasma explicitely says that Finn's behavior on Jakku was his first offence when asked if he acted weird before

Yes as long Disney develops the character. Him being raised as a nameless, replaceable stormtrooper then assisting the jedi & rebel forces already gives him more depth than everyone else.

It's never shown/said one way or the other how connected to any of the others.

Again, you jumped into a big sea of shit that made Episode 7 bad, and pulled out one of the few non-issues in there

Some autist is pulling out some fanfic explanation, yes

Finn also says that FN-whatever is the only name they ever gave him so having a nickname prior to TFA is unlikely

Do you need a scene showing all their bunk beds or something? Phasma even says he had never showed any signs of disloyalty before. His character was very poorly written.

Where did it say Finn got a nickname? "Slip" is the other trooper.

Everything disney has put out, books, movies, whatever is fanfiction.

>It's never shown/said
This goes for pretty much everything that could have made things make sense.

Nah. I also don't need to just make stuff up to complain about TFA, there's plenty already.

It seems there are more problems than you realised.

Except in this particular instance, as there's literally nothing that implies any of what you said.

Except everything else disney put out relating to this movie.

Jesus fuck dude... don't understand why you're being so autistic with this shit.

Because your opinion makes no sense and neither do finn's motivations in the movie and they make even less sense when you take in to account the other stuff disney has put out about him.

I'm ending this now.
There is nothing that indicates Finn was friends with Blood Hand trooper or Traitor Trooper. The book Before the Awakening says they know each other, but that Finn is not close to either of them. The book constantly goes on about how Finn "feels like an outsider" and that he "doesn't belong". He helps out the other troopers in training because they're his squadmates, and it's his philosophy that together they are stronger. The books also explains that Finn is A- grade in simulated battles, but completely incompetent when put in a real life situation.
t. Autist that reads books

Whatever you gotta make up to keep yourself in check I guess, dude

In any case, Finn was one of the very few good aspects of the movie.

>but that Finn is not close to either of them
>He was a loyal soldier in the armed forces of the First Order, so much so that he directly accused Finn, a former ally and friend of his, of being a traitor
>former ally and friend

Yeah, I'll take Wookieepedia over you, autist.

I prefer trek, but can't recall luke being a token poc

Should I rewatch?

>Whatever you gotta make up
user,I haven't made anything up. What did you think was so good about finn?

>friends

You mean the guys that blew up like three planets? What a swell buncha guys.

Star Wars is more "fantasy" than science fiction, honestly. A fantasy flick with a sci-fi coating has to be what you're in the mood for, else you'd just be disappointed.

>Finn is the most like Luke
no

The stupid Luke analogy aside, why do people hate him? Nig or nog he was still one of the best characters in the movie next to Han.

>I call myself an autist in my post
>Still calls me an autist
Bravo. Do your own research next time, and stop relying so much on wookieepedia.

You're going to trigger the autist and his head canon if you don't imply they're all besties

You should let it be

I think some people get mad that he isn't a typical hero type, and he is not as competent as most Star Wars main characters.

I like the "super loyal to his friends (to his detriment), but not really bad ass" type they went for with his character.

I was surprised the black character was cowardly and inept in this day and age. It was refreshing and made me like the guy more. He felt more human that Rey.

Hopefully they do something to explain why she's so good at everything in the next movie, because as of right now, she's incredibly uninteresting (and a complete Mary Sue if no further explanations are given)

>itt mad dicklet whitebois

He left before any of that happened, he was raised by the first order, he didn't know anything else. They said in the movie he'd never done anything wrong in their eyes before. Suddenly he's whooping as the guys he was raised with die, instant best friends with Poe who from his point of view was a terrorist. It's just stupid. I'm still waiting for someone to explain why some of you think finn was a good character, was it just his "funny" parts in the movie?

I remember not getting the fuss and being disappointed watching as a child, maybe I just can't into sw fanboism

I mean if you're the "he was best friends with the stormtroopers" guy, then I don't think anyone wants to waste their time with that level of autism

Rey = Unlikable Female Know-It-All Luke
Finn = Black Human C3PO
Han Solo = Han Solo Turned Into Obi-Wan Kenobi
Chewbacca = Chewbacca

There are at least 3 people in this thread saying Finn was a bad character.

His boss was an asshole, his "friends" treated him like shit (TR-8R picked on him during training, no really look it up.) and he didn't have it in him to kill innocent civilians.

It just works for a lot of people (obviously not in China, they just couldn't give less a shit it seems), no biggie if you don't enjoy it. It happens, personal tastes and all that jazz.

There were several people saying he was a bad character, and one single dude who picked a complete non-issue to nitpick at based on random shit he made up.

When people try to discuss with an autist, everyone loses.

>he didn't have it in him to kill innocent civilians.
They didn't pick up on that during the 20 years of training he had? They still sent him on an important mission with Kylo? What were they thinking?

They mentioned in the movie it was his first mission. He had been training and doing sanitary duty on the Death Star planet up until then.

Why did they send a janitor with kylo on a mission like that?

He wasn't a janitor, he was just on janitorial duty on the Solaranite Bomb.

Yes. But he's black so I dunno...

Poe Dameron was charismatic and hyper competent, but it was less off putting with him than Rey, I think because he wasn't as much of a protagonist and was supposed to be this distant character to be looked up to by Finn.

My favourite scene was when Dameron's flying an X-Wing pushing everyone's shit in and Finn sort of hero worships him.

>a good friend

I don't know about Star Wars, but in RL military, EVERY low ranking grunt does janitorial duty at various times.

Yeah I understand that. I just didn't get why they sent this guy who throughout the rest of the movie was portrayed as incompetent.

>the 3-rd one
im dying

Apparently competent enough in simulations, but not in actual in-the-field stuff as an actual stormtrooper (not comfortable killing innocents).

He's not so much incompetent so much as he's "average". He's on par with other Stormtroopers once he's fighting for something he cares about, other than "Traitor" guy. The only reason it stands out more is because he's a main character. Compare him to most any other stormtrooper.

>but not in actual in-the-field stuff as an actual stormtrooper (not comfortable killing innocents).
And yet they sent him on the most important mission they had for some reason. They should have stuck him somewhere where he didn't have to kill people. Maybe phasma and hux were the incompetent ones, but on the other hand he didn't have any issues killing other stormtroopers even though he knows better than anyone that they're the product of mental conditioning.

He is.... but the writing shits all over the movie. He literally befriends the guy who kills his last best friend.

>the most important mission they had
>shooting at some locals and capturing a single guy

What? Someone already explained it was his very first on-the-field mission.

"gotta cute boyfriend, cute boyfriend"
"i'm in charge phasma" *bobs head "i'm in charge"
Fucking retarded shit, it was so out of place in star wars.

The cute boyfriend bit is not all that off from Star Wars. New Hope had the Luke/Han exchange about being taken in with Leia, and Luke getting super defensive on when Han wanders whether she'd go for a guy like him

>but the writing shits all over the movie. He literally befriends the guy who kills his last best friend.
Exactly!

Maybe it's the way he played it, it was like some kevin hart shit. they should have had boyega use his real accent.

>Poe meets Luke Skywalker in Ep8

>Luke, did I ever tell you about when we stormed a village and killed a bunch of innocent townsfolk? A random stormtrooper died right at the start, and caressed his bloody hand against my helmet making it easy to spot me out.
>He was a best friend

>poe

Finn?

I think he initially tried with his accent, but JJ and the others didn't think it worked well.

Which is weird, since every single officer had a British accent. Not sure why'd it'd be too weird for maybe one or two stormtroopers to also have that accent.

They're going after the map to the one guy in the galaxy who snoke/ the first order are afraid of and instead of sending an elite squad with kylo they send a space cleaner on his first mission?

> Rebel kills best friend.
> Blame first order.

>but JJ
He fucked everything else up, i'm not surprised this is on him as well.

You're kind of inserting your own stuff into this. It was a simple attack/capture a guy. There wasn't anything previously that indicated he would've froze, and they all seemed to have the same level of competency that the stormtroopers that attacked Leia's ship in New Hope had.

In any case, you get a range of experience in RL military units. A simple attack on a village is a good starting point.

That's all again proves that whites are superior.

>There wasn't anything previously that indicated he would've froze
according to others in this thread, Finn was known to react poorly in real life situations and had issues killing "innocents"

>You're kind of inserting your own stuff into this. It was a simple attack/capture a guy.
The mission to find skywalker was top priority for the first order, no reason to sends scrubs like finn, they should have sent him to cut his teeth on something inconsequential

Eh, dunno. Don't care too much, this is kind of a dumb topic (why was Finn there)

Luke also never got the girl.

He was was just a poorly written character in a poorly written movie.

Poorly written movie, but a pretty good character really

>, but a pretty good character really
please explain?

Several people already did so.

I haven't seen anything besides he was an average stormtrooper on his first mission. Can you cut and paste one of the good explanations for why he's a good character?