You have 10 seconds to name a rock band from the last 25 years that is both critically acclaimed and culturally...

You have 10 seconds to name a rock band from the last 25 years that is both critically acclaimed and culturally relevant. Please note that commercial success is not synonymous with cultural relevance.

Impossible Mode: No Nirvana.

Oh wait, you can't.

R.I.P Rock

Please note:

>The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, Queens of the Stone Age, The Mars Volta, Franz Ferdinand, The Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, Bloc Party, The Libertines, Blur, Pulp, Suede, and Interpol are not culturally relevant, as they have had no real cultural impact. You're not going to hear their music being played at a high school dance or have a large number of normies sharing them on Facebook or in the future remembering them the way you would a contemporary artist who actually has made a cultural impact (e.g. Beyonce, Kendrick, Kanye) >Jack White is not a culturally relevant artist. Seven Nation Army may be a culturally relevant track but having only one culturally relevant track indicates a lack of longevity and thus a lack of cultural relevance as artists.
>Weezer only have one critically acclaimed album and it came out 23 years ago.
>Muse, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Tool, Kings of Leon, The 1975, Alt-J, The Black Keys, Pearl Jam, Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Blink-182, Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, Mumford & Sons, and Red Hot Chili Peppers are not critically acclaimed.
>The Flaming Lips, Sufjan Stevens, Vampire Weekend, Tame Impala, The National, The Hold Steady, Dinosaur Jr, Deerhunter, Mac DeMarco, Porcupine Tree, Beach House, Ween, Titus Andronicus, Bon Iver, Pixies, Spoon, Pavement and Modest Mouse are far too niche to be considered culturally relevant. This is also true for all metal.
>R.E.M., Bruce Springsteen, and U2 have not been critically acclaimed in the last 25 years.
>LCD Soundsystem, Radiohead and Arcade Fire are not rock bands

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Rx_UaQx5eZQ
youtube.com/watch?v=gAuPAKRIojM
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Day_discography
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hot_Chili_Peppers_discography
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Chemical_Romance_discography
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Led Zeppelin

i put niggers underground without a sound

Sublime

you LARPed the whole thread inside your head before posting this didn't you?

I don't care for you or your opinions, sir.

Van Halen

>Brand New
>not critically acclaimed
nigga

The Killers

Damn
he got it

>name a relevant rock band except for all those relevant rock bands that i don't like

literally checks all of OP's retarded arbitrary boxes

>Radiohead is not a rock band

King Gizzard

the killers are not that relevant though
they are not that well known outside of uk and us
im pretty sure none of my friends ever heard of them

Yeah this OP btfo 2bh lad

I GOT SOUL

>outside of the uk and us
>relevant

>they are not that well known outside of uk and us
the only important/ relevant places? damn...

>>The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, Queens of the Stone Age, The Mars Volta, Franz Ferdinand, The Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, Bloc Party, The Libertines, Blur, Pulp, Suede, and Interpol are not culturally relevant, as they have had no real cultural impact.
stopped reading right there
OP you're so full of it

best post ITT

Soundgarden

>your main definition of cultural relevance is that it impacts the youth
Pretty sure some bands had an influence on a generation of teenagers, like RCHP or Imagine Dragons or even fucking Slipknot stirred up some kind of mini-culture. This applies to all aesthetic and behaviour of some youth.
>but rock’s influence isn’t culturally universal!
It never was, not even in the 60s. Is hip-hop culturally universal? Of course not, even though it is very influential nowadays.

Kill yourselves, but
Kill yourself, The Killers are known everywhere from Panama to Argentina, I know this for a fact. So shut the fuck up.

>Mars Volte
>"played at a high school dance"

>Oasis are not culturally relevant
Americunt confirmed

>>LCD Soundsystem, Radiohead and Arcade Fire are not rock bands

>loads of bands are irrelevant because mr jefferies the pleb english teacher hypothetically won't include it on his school dance playlist

linkin park

this fucking thread..again.

Culturally relevant? one of the most ground breaking American rock bands of all time continuing a legacy of incredible musicianship with incredible musicians and incredible live performances so...check

Critically acclaimed? both past and present...so check.

youtube.com/watch?v=Rx_UaQx5eZQ

Gorillaz

>all metal
>too niche
Literally everyone and their grandma has wore a shirt with a metal band on it, many popular artists have been influenced by metal, in both sound and style

tbf, none of those bands, outside of maybe pumpkins and oasis are even popular enough to influence culture, and i would even bet against pumpkins

>Radiohead and Arcade Fire are not rock bands

It's literally the end of the post

thats actually pretty sick

>no true scotsman
>goal shifting
>petitio principii
>hasty generalisations
>non sequiturs galore

11/10 thread mate-o

so do you and your friends all live under one rock or do you have your own separate rocks?

who the fuck is that bass player?

>mfw I did a list with all the artist in the OP that had songs with 50+m listens on Spotify but accidentally closed the tab
I fucking want to die

that’s what you get for wasting time being autistic

Friendly reminder this is a b8 thread and you should not post in it. Whatever answer you give, OP will claim it's either not critically acclaimed or culturally relevant.

I was like 30+ minutes into writing the fucking list

>LCD Soundsystem is not a rock band
just because they use synths doesn't mean they're not a rock band

Give it Up, Tired, american dream, call the police, emotional haircut and so many others are rock songs

I'm an ausfag and it's a cultural thing for celebrities to sing Mr Brightside

Car Seat Headrest, is both critically and commercially relevant, as are the white stripes, and at the drive-in, Ariel Pink as an artist is also becoming more popular and he's always been good.

Led Zeppelin

all the more you deserved it

> youtube.com/watch?v=gAuPAKRIojM
Video related if you're interested

Queen.
Freddie mercury is a pop culture icon.
Made in heaven came out in 1995.
“We Will Rock You” a musical written I. Part by Taylor and May, has been running since 2002
“We will rock you” and “We are the champions” are culturally relevant as fuck.
Plus Queen has been touring with numerous singers, notably Adam lambert for the past couple years.
Get the fuck off my board.

Lana Del Ray

Metallica

>Radiohead
>not rock

this

My favourite thread.

This

oh come on, when AM came out in 2013 every normie was posting R U Mine? on their facebook
Blur also had many notable songs like Tender or Song 2

winner winner chicken dinner
Literally every Mexican party I go to has some form of The Killers playing; those tias really do love Brandon Flowers

This is the worst copy pasta on this fucking board.

The Drumpfs

>Green Day
>RHCP
>MCR
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Day_discography
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hot_Chili_Peppers_discography
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Chemical_Romance_discography
Look at the major label studio albums’ sales, chart positions, and awards.

On a side note I feel stupid for defending My Chemical Romance.

bait

That'd be great.
>HAAAAVE YOU SEEN THE LIVIIIIING

>LCD Soundsystem, Radiohead and Arcade Fire are not rock bands

honey but this is wrong

Akimbo broke up in 2012. So thats how long rock lived for

linkin park, white stripes, the strokes, king gizzard, MGMT, arctic monkeys

>LARPed the whole thread inside your head
the word is imagined

OP didn't come up with this

White Stripes. Every soccer fan knows Seven Nation Army by heart. They were a massively successful band whose music still endures.

Fuck, I'd like to have seen that, too bad I'm lazy and don't care that much to do it myself

best trip desu

Pic related is coming for OP

op is about to get fist fucked

define critically acclaimed. pretty sure they get panned by critics (unfairly because sam's town is a legitimate 9/10 album and hot fuss is at least a 7/10, but still panned)

Smashing Pumpkins - 1979 has 68 million YouTube views, Tonight, Tonight has 38 million
The Strokes - Reptilia has 94 million views and was on Guitar Hero, You Only Live Once has 83 million
Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out has 41 million views
Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know has 592 million views. Oh, and they played at the fucking Olympics
stupid thread

Phoenix

>Green Day isn't critically acclaimed
>Made it into the Rock and Roll hall of fame in their first year of eligibility

Yeah, pop rock is still rock

The Voidz

>They replaced Freddie Mercury with American Idol
jej

>>Muse, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Tool, Kings of Leon, The 1975, Alt-J, The Black Keys, Pearl Jam, Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Blink-182, Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, Mumford & Sons, and Red Hot Chili Peppers are not critically acclaimed.

why are you people taking this bait again?

Arctic Monkeys are both critically acclaimed and culturally relevant. Do you even know any teenagers?

TV on the Radio
last great new york rock
There, done.

This fucking guy. Here are a ton of bands that prove me wrong. But you cant say them so i must be right. Fucking lol most autistic shit ive seen on mu in a minute