Fine he's a precious soul and his wife died and thats sad and everything but whats his fucking problem

fine he's a precious soul and his wife died and thats sad and everything but whats his fucking problem

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/indieheads/comments/7zpfb6/ama_announcement_mount_eerie_on_february_26th/duu8xj2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

don't get this
>hurts my soul
what a tosser

he's just embarrased to admit he never learned to write lmao

He explained it all already. It's very reasonable desu

autism

quick rundown pls

I don't even have the urge for autographs or photos when I meet famous people.. it's so shallow and soyish imo. Live in the moment, jeez.

xD

reddit.com/r/indieheads/comments/7zpfb6/ama_announcement_mount_eerie_on_february_26th/duu8xj2/

God! What a overblown windbag this fag is!

He doesn't like that it elevates himself above his fans. It just makes him uncomfortable. It's really not that unreasonable.

Who would want an autograph anyways? So cheesy. Unless you're a kid than sure. And I doubt a 7 year old would listen to A Crow Looked At Me.

he's like mark kozelek without testosterone

didn't read lol

Someone needs to kick this bitch off his high horse

>guy doesn't like signing autographs
>he has a problem
Fuck, that's entitled.

>POPULARITY I believe in equality and I don’t believe in god. That shift that happened for me when Nirvana got popular, the opening up of possibilities and the recalibration of my ideas about access, that has stayed with me. I believe that successful and well known people are regular people, of course, and I am made uncomfortable by our tendency as humans to elevate some people while not elevating others. What is the deal with royalty? Why do we do that? What is the deal with unqualified and exaggerated veneration? I view god/figurehead worship with this same apprehension. I see it as a dangerous pathway to abuses of power, insanity, inequality, unnecessary suffering, domination, etc. Of course some people become more well known than others. Of course the ground is not flat. But the adulation behavior that comes so easily to most people seems dangerous and bad to me. It’s not that I don’t have long rich fantasies of the conversations and interactions I’d like to have with my favorite artists, writers, thinkers. I do. I want to personally know these brilliant people, and I enjoy hearing about their secret unglamorous regular life moments, the mechanics of their normalcy. I enjoy the reminders of my sameness with them because it reinforces the possibilities that lay open for me, always. An autograph is detrimental to all of this door-opening.

this dude sounds like a little bitch boy

THAT'S IT! If you guys ever see this punk bitch on the street you know what to do. TAKE! HIM! OUT!

I'm gonna ask him to sign four different records and a hat

He pretty much wrote a whole essay on it but here is a little excerpt near the end that pretty much sums it up

Surely someone will read this and say “Oh poor baby! You’re so popular that too many people want your autograph. Wah wah!” I’m aware that this is a problem only a very fortunate person can have. And I don’t even have that many people asking me to sign a thing. It’s just that for me even one person asking triggers all this. I had to make this pamphlet. My resistance to signing my name on my records comes from a feeling of anti-status, not a protectiveness about my own importance or a fussiness about my art. I want to spread equality, destroy these old barriers to participation. I don’t want to hide in the backstage area at the show. I love selling my own merch. I love doing this stuff and interacting. These simple and obvious statements are not a popular person putting on an act of “I’m just like you.” I really feel it deeply and it hurts to be nudged into a position of awkward reverence by the symbolic gesture of an autograph. I feel that it is anti-human, anti-fellowship, to sign autographs and to want someone’s autograph. In my ideal world, we would see the person who made the work of art that we loved and we would engage with them as a peer for a moment and appreciate and remember the exchange without the need for this empty souvenir.

This guy needs a good punch to the face or another family member dying.

>all this soysalt ITT from people who will never be successful

phil wrote better music at 19 that most "artists" will make their entire lives

>phil wrote better music at 19 that most "artists" will make their entire lives
Then why hasn't he released it?

He's like an evil mark Kozelek

Then he should ask for their autographs.

Fine, if the nigga doesn't want to sign his name he better have business cards for a peer exchange like a proper fuckin man, then. You don't need to be a movie star for someone to ask for your autograph. While I understand that after the 1950's, when managers began to realize that they could produce autographs en-masse as products; the object itself is still a sign of love and memorial of a meeting.

So, yeah; if I see him and get to talk to him for more than five seconds, I might ask for an autograph, though a photograph is usually faster and easier, these days. I'll apologize to his soul afterward.

Here, Phil. Problem solved!

He explains in his essay thing that you can go ahead and ask him for an autograph, he just wanted to inform people about how he personally felt about it so that you're not surprised if he declines

it's called the glow pt. 2 retard

why is this so funny lol

i never got the obsession with autographs anyways, i don't give a shit about them as people

Huh, that sounds pretty reasonable actually.

muh autographed vinyl is so collectable.

>Of course it is exaggerated to be talking about atheism and abuses of power in a pamphlet about whether or not I should sign your record, but this is the very real spiral of thoughts that goes through me when I am faced with that request. The harsh reality is that when I am at my concert sitting behind the merch table, or even just walking around the venue, there is a built-in imbalance in power. I’m the person who was on the stage. I’m the person whose name you maybe know from the thing you read on the internet, whose picture you’ve seen, whose backstory you’re maybe familiar with.

yeah, there's an imbalance of power because now you're the withholding asshole who doesn't do autographs! i respect phil elverum and the microphones are great, but he's such a pseudo intellectual. his little metaphor
> I view god/figurehead worship with this same apprehension. I see it as a dangerous pathway to abuses of power, insanity, inequality, unnecessary suffering, domination, etc.
doesn't make any sense. god/figurehead retains his power by NOT coming into contact with humans. you're now making yourself into the untouchable figurehead.

just admit you think autographs disfigure the album and that you think your music should be treated as a work of art and not a commodity and that you actually would like to push away the types of fans who like autographs so you can build yourself a cult and become absolute godhead over your trve fans.

He should have never signed any, now he's got all these bitches.

You think he'll sign my Chemotherapy Drug Transport Bag?

Wow, you sound like a fucking projecting freak, if I saw you in real life I would definitely fuck you up as hard as I could to put you out of your misery, serious now

overrated
smog made better shit

>somebody writes something u disagree
>immediately threatens violence
hi american! going to shoot any schools soon?

sorry that phil won't sign your shit anymore and you're PISSED about it LOL
and i am a projecting freak... i projected on your mom's tits last night lmao

this is the most savage comment in this entire thread.

jesus christ that's good.

What a fag. Hope his baby dies

fuck

I'd rather have a photograph than an autograph, but some people, like John Darnielle hates being photographed.

you guys all have some serious problems if such a simple statement sets you off so hard

>People unironically finding this funny
Underage b&

>In my ideal world, we would see the person who made the work of art that we loved and we would engage with them as a peer for a moment and appreciate and remember the exchange without the need for this empty souvenir.

This.

He looks like Morrissey in this picture

he's not wrong

I had a genuine laugh at this, thanks user

Oops..

quality kek, my friend

Nothing wrong with this

Tortured Phil..