I don't fucking get it

I don't fucking get it
How did Gandalf come back to life?

He literally died
Never was it stated before in the movies that people can return from death

How could Gandalf and not, say, Boromir?

Explain this shit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/qvWv3uosN9E?t=45s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Gandalf is a demo-god

His body is just a conduit for him to walk around and talk to humans.

>How could Gandalf and not, say, Boromir?
Gandalf did die, but he was sent back. He's divine being and an angel, they have different roles than men.

Demi*

Gandalf is a spirit, he's not actually human

Gandalf was an angel sent back by God.

IIRC it's one of two times God did anything in LOTR according to Tolkien. The other time was Bilbo finding the ring.

feanor>fingolfin

you literally CANNOT argue with this

Didn't God also make Gollum trip into the volcano.

that was Frodo

Gandalf was an Angel sent to defeat Sauron

Read the fucking books

>Bilbo finding the ring
The ring wanted to be found.

Bravo Jackson. You could have spent 2 minutes explaining this to the audience but oh no you have to be autistic enough to read The Silmarillion.

>300 lives of men I've walked this Earth and now there is no time

if you couldn't deduce that he wasn't human from this line you are legitimately retarded

He was giving the position of Sauroman essentially. A promotion

How does that explain that he's an angel? I would just assume he uses magic to extend his life.

Did he get a pay raise and dental insurance?

>but oh no you have to be autistic enough to read The Silmarillion.
Actually it was in his letters that he said God brought Gandalf back.

I haven't read the books or seen the movies in years, but I'm 99% sure being picked up by Bilbo was literally the one thing the Ring didn't plan for.

youtu.be/qvWv3uosN9E?t=45s

Fuck off, traitor. Fingolfin maimed Morgoth. Feanor got ganked by gothmog

In the movie galadriel says "but then something happened that the ring did not intend." Idk what it says in the books.

Its EU, so yes. But he will be taxed to death so who cares desu

>A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. He arrives precisely when he means to.

He said "I've been sent back to complete my task" or something along those lines. That and the divine white light surrounding him should be enough to tell anyone he's been sent back by god.

Is the ring supposed to be sentient or is it a metaphor?

it is, but also Rings will and Saurons are one

in the book gandalf says the ring abandoned gollum

>He literally died
He didn't die, maia can't die.

>people can return from death
Gandalf isn't people, he's a maia.

His body got destroyed, his soul was released, and when he came back to Valinor, they sent him back in a new body.

wizards have 3 lives

Elves can come back from the dead as well (see: Glorfindel). They just have a long respawn timer and a long walk back from spawn.

Gandalf was sorta solo Mercy rezzed and perma Ana-boosted so he could get back into the team fight.

>Read the books
>400 pages describing how green the forests are
No thanks

Well stay pleb then, or read wikis or something.

>fall a million miles down a huge chasm
>somehow survive and end up at the top of a mountain

I thought I remember from the books that the elves had something to do with his return.

Was that correct?

Never underestimate a bearded old man in Anglo/Saxon fiction.

I know your baiting but he literally says he fought the balrog from the deepest depths to the tallest tower or some shit.

Valar. He was Maiar.

> except for that time I got held up by the cursed spirits of undead men when we were supposed to meet up in Bree.

There is no need for the viewer to know what Gandalf truly is. Frodo and the Hobbits are never told in the books, and that shroud of mystery around Gandalf and the other Istari (that shroud felt pretty weak in the movies, especially with Radagast's depiction) stays thick, giving them additional credibility.

On some occasions, it even seems the Istari themselves aren't fully aware of their nature, as if their presence on Third Age Middle-Earth was to them what a dream is to us.

It is implied within the movie Gandalf has known Bilbo for decades, and Bilbo has also remained mostly unaged for over 60 years. Right off the bat you know Gandalf isn't human and does magic shit. This is just from watching the movie, not even bringing The Hobbit or the LotR books into account. Fucking pay attention when watching movies, most of the time you teens just hear it in the background while you text or go on social media. Fucking hate generation z faggots. Can't wait til next year so I can try to bang HS bitches due to my 13-year-younger brother going to HS. You faggots can't compete with easy access to weed and alcohol, and I still look 19 at most.

Jackson pls go

he took the stairs.

not even joking.

Feanor was a whiny bitch who craved his father's cock
Fingolfin permanently fucked up Morgoth's foot making sure he would never walk right again
Fingolfin >>>>>>>>>>>> kinslaying bitch

Which is why Gandalf didn't even remember his own name at first.

cont.
Most elves probably understand what the Istari are, especially if they are well read or close to the Noldor heritage of the Second Age, like some folks at Rivendell are. Regarding the common elves of Greenwood, I have no clue about their knowledge of elven history, considering the nandor never really in great numbers in Beleriand. Lothlorien's population is mostly nandorin too, so who knows.

Galadriel certainly understands it all, having lived many years in Valinor. The "Lorien" part of Lothlorien is an homage to Valinor's Lorien.
Celeborn is from Doriath, but I guess he understood what Melian was, and in those days the knowledge of ainurs was probably much more common.

In the dwarven and human world though, the knowledge of the ainurs is quite limited. Dwarves only know about Aule, whom they call Mahal, and I doubt they have any clue as to what Gandalf really is.

Aragorn probably learned some of these things, but I think the people of Rohan don't have that kind of knowledge in their cultural background.

That's probably why the Istari took a human form rather than a elvish one. Their purpose is to prevent Sauron's progress, and the first threatened by Sauron are men. Looking like men, they have better chances of infiltrating their societies and gaining influence and trust, probably.

Yes but he said it did not intend for Bilbo to pick it up.

> It was not Gollum, Frodo, but the Ring itself that decided things. The Ring left him.'

>'What, just in time to meet Bilbo?' said Frodo. 'Wouldn't an Orc have suited it better?'

>'It is no laughing matter,' said Gandalf. 'Not for you. It was the strangest event in the whole history of the Ring so far: Bilbo's arrival just at that time, and putting his hand on it, blindly, in the dark.

>'There was more than one power at work, Frodo. The Ring was trying to get back to its master. It had slipped from Isildur's hand and betrayed him; then when a chance came it caught poor Déagol, and he was murdered; and after that Gollum, and it had devoured him. It could make no further use of him: he was too small and mean; and as long as it stayed with him he would never leave his deep pool again. So now, when its master was awake once more and sending out his dark thought from Mirkwood, it abandoned Gollum. Only to be picked up by the most unlikely person imaginable: Bilbo from the Shire!

>'Behind that there was something else at work, beyond any design of the Ring-maker. I can put it no plainer than by saying that Bilbo was meant to find the Ring, and not by its maker. In which case you also were meant to have it. And that may be an encouraging thought.'

That's the closest Tolkien gets in the text of Lord of the Rings to mentioning God.

>Most elves probably understand what the Istari are

False. Tolkien says the only Elves who understood what Gandalf was were Galadriel, Elrond and Cirdan.

How could they not guess though? If you know Valinor is a thing, you also know what ainurs are, you know they created the world and everything, so if an old man that doesn't die comes from the West one day, and pretends to be a wizard of some kind, you'll have some sort of feeling its an ainur I'd think.

You'd think but people these days are spiritually illiterate.

It's somewhat unclear. It's like how some Elves accepted Sauron disguised as "Annatar" without figuring out he must have been a Maia.

They guessed he was a Maia, but there are lots of Maia. The Wizards, idk. Humans CAN work magic in Tolkien, so it's possible they assumed they were the humans they seemed to be, but even if they knew they were maia that doesn't mean they knew why they were in Middle Earth.

This

People often mistake the lack of information as an oversight on the author's part for some reason

this shows that you haven't read the books at all

>Humans CAN work magic in Tolkien
Is there any other reference to that other than a few black numenoreans learning a bit of magic from Sauron?
I feel like all videogames spinoff of Tolkien always use that excuse to have a spellcaster class, yet I don't remember ever reading about humans practicing magic.

There's no way anyone though they were human, especially since they were around so long. Men themselves thought for example Gandalf was some special type of Elf.

The Dúnedain forge the magic blades the Hobbits use.

>Implying he hasn't read it.

This is literally the first time I've heard someone confused by this.

He literally says "I was sent back until my task is done" while a shot of him suddenly coming back to life surrounded by heavenly white light. Who do you think sent him back, his mother?

he was a wizard you retard

He killed the Balrog and that was enough exp to level up before dying, hence why his hp went back to 100% and he gained new skills upon return.

lots of humans have near death experiences and say the same thing

Also new cloth armor and staff. I dont understand why the fellowship didnt run more Moria raids, Balrog clearly is insane loot and Gandalf can carry pretty easily now.

He was of the order of the gods, an immortal maiar only of a lesser order than the highest order the valar. Gandalf cannot be killed.

Maybe the Balrog was a field boss that only appears once.

But as others have quoted, Gandalf was not human. He died, which is how he was able to describe death to Pippin in the 3rd movie.

Actually the maiar is the only order of gods that can appear as mortals, the valar is just to godlike to not look like gods even in corporeal form.

He's a faggot Gary Stu who would have been better off staying dead.

>autistic enough to read The Silmarillion
Nigga, Silmarillion is what like 300 pages?
Are you a child? Why do people pretend it's a hard read

Isnt gandalf based on merlin?

Not really afaik

More inspired by Odin and Väinämöinen probably, I don't know

Kys Fingolfin the GOAT

>until my task is done
The real question is, how come he didn't keel over the second sauron was defeated?

>Why do people pretend it's a hard read
Because its so mind numbingly boring

Who said defeating Sauron was his ultimate task? Maybe his actual task was to guide the last of the elves to the West or smoke a whole barrel of pipe-weed in one sitting.

The point of sending the Istari on Middle-Earth is to help against Sauron.

Maybe that includes post-war PTSD counselling?

I didn't find it boring.

>where's my exposition? I'm confused
Pleb detected

Do yourself a favor a read a nonfiction book once in a while user

Eru himself sent him back. Not the valar

>considering the nandor never really in great numbers in Beleriand. Lothlorien's population is mostly nandorin too

Nandor this, Nandor that. Why are Avari so ignored by Tolkien? It's not fair. They made the correct (or at least more aligned with Ilúvatar's original wishes) decision of turning down the invitation to Valinor, and they never get a second chance at it!

>They made the correct (or at least more aligned with Ilúvatar's original wishes) decision of turning down the invitation to Valinor

That was Eru's wish?

>Men themselves thought for example Gandalf was some special type of Elf.

hence the name "GandALF".

which was originally Thorin's name, and was takes from a dwarf in the Eddas.

Gandalf was "Bladorthin".

šmajdalfeee

Ulmo thought it was. I think.

Reminder that Saruman despised Gandalf and his love for hobbits and pipe weed, but then he tried it himself, liked it, and started smoking in it in secret because he was afraid Gandalf would find out about it, think he was emulating him, and ridicule him for it during the Councils.
Autism.

What were the nameless things? Were they like Ungoliant-tier old gods?

He's a Maia, not a man, Elu sent him back

So Saruman was like the opposite of the the type that talk about weed all the time but don't actually smoke
He would rant about how degenerate it is and only losers get high, then secretly vape when he's alone

He leveled up after defeating the Balrog, and you know what happens when you level up in an MMO. Your life gets regenerated to 100% back again and new 1337 skillz.

PIPE WEED IS NOT MARIJUANA