Why didn't Max join Furiosa and the wives at the citadel...

Why didn't Max join Furiosa and the wives at the citadel? I know in the original script he was because he fell in love with Furiosa which wouldn't fit the character, but even if you take her out of the equation it's still a better and more stable home than anywhere else he's gonna find. Fresh food, water, and transportation.

is max simply too broken and mentally ill to have a stable life again?

Because he knew that the dumbass women were going waste all of the water and doom the entire citadel

>max is simply too broken and mentally ill to have a stable life again

I don't understand why you chucklefucks even make threads like this.

>implying he doesn't have severe PTSD and a lack of a moral compass

>implying I didn't answer the original fucking question.

Read it slowly, user. I answered the question. What I don't understand is why you would start a thread answering your own question.

>is max simply too broken and mentally ill to have a stable life again?
I always thought that after the death of his wife and child, he feels so much internal guilt that he can not rest when he saves others. He will only come to rest when he dies leading other innocent people to safety.

oh I thought you were challenging that statement

So no matter how much good he does he won't feel better?

Is that why he came back for furiosa when they ditched the war rigs for the bikes? Because he thought going back would kill him or because he had genuine care for her and the others?

Because he knows what happens to places like that and he knew they'd end up dieing when another raiding party showed up.

This.

There are NO happy endings in the apocalypse. Everybody in Gastown is a dead man walking.

They will either die of thirst from wasting the water. Or they will get raped, murdered and eaten by marauders once the word gets out to the other clans that the boss is dead.

He was just out to get some tortilla chips and some guacamole. He was on his way back to the grotto where there was lots of beer and women and about 50 years of unwatched football games on video. If those dumbass warboys hadn't busted him, he would have been home, half-drunk, and cheering on golden ages Dallas Cowboys while a half drunk gorgeous, busty blonde played with his doodle.

Why on earth would he hang around the shitadel?

hes fucked up from PTSD and would prefer to be alone because he can't bear to lose people close to him again

I know George said it's a "soft reboot" but really when would this take place in the timeline if it wasn't?

Would Max have had another family after Sprog and Jessie died in the first one?

Max's character post-MM has been that of a wandering anti-hero who never stays with the people he helps

It's probably a mixture of his wife and kid dying leading to him not wanting to grow attached to anyone and being the post-apocalyptic equivalent of a lone gunslinger or a wandering samurai

I know George plays fast and loose with his continuity, but I think he said in an interview that if he had to place it on a timeline, it'd be after Beyond Thunderdome, which I think adds up.

true. fury road is after beyond thunderdome. the stuff that happens between is depicted in the video game and magazine. spoiler max loses more than just his wife and shit. he is autistic but awesome. who can blame him?

The game is canon?

He needed to go find his car

Because Max is a mythical folk hero, not a "real" person.

yeah the game is canon and its about the same as magazine. it goes a litabit differently but the basic storyline is kinda same.

He's a real character, otherwise MM would never have happened. Everything after that is a tale told by someone else about the man, but he's still a real person.

Is Tom Hardy MM and Mel Gibson MM the same character?

I read somewhere Fury Road takes place ~50 years after the nuclear war, and MM was already in his 30s-40s when the bombs hit, and Tom Hardy doesn't look 50 years older.

Or is it "don't worry about the timeline just have fun"

Well the nukes dropped at some indeterminate point between RW and BT, so it's really all up in the air.

just like every other mythical folk hero. arthur, beowulf, amir arsalan, robin hood ect ect. all based on 'real' people but told and retold so many times there isn't any reality left

Up to interpretation on Thunderdome and Road Warrior since the narrator is telling a story and gotta tell the tell so the little ones know.

Exactly, that's what I mean. It's just silly to say that Max was never 'real' in the series to begin with.

I'd really love to see something set between MM and RW. A lot changes in what I think is three years. A barely-functioning but normal society with serious crime problems to a complete warzone with leather-clad barbarians driving around everywhere.

>beat the bad guy
>freedom for all!
>wealth will be shared with everybody!
>All wastelanders welcome!
>Come live in my home!

Female logic.

Didn't wanna be around to see shit hit the fan after they ran up all the water

I should play that then.

I fell asleep half way through this movie. What a piece of shit. How did the director lose sight SO HARD of what the previous movies so good?

Did they? That doesn't make a ton of sense. There is nobody left to drop them. While the RW intro doesn't *explicitly* mention nuclear bombs, I think it can be inferred that's when they were dropped.

Not to say he was entirely fictional within the universe. He had a backstory. And he may, or may not have been present during the events being retold in all the movies. But worrying about continuity BETWEEN different movies is a fool's errand. It's much easier to assume everything after MM is an unreliable narrator. It explains the almost impossible to unravel continuity snarls.

>snarls.

kek

>There is nobody left to drop them

There are. Not every country became a lawless wasteland like Australia and a war between the US and USSR was what kickstarted the decline of society anyway. Whichever governments were left by the time of RW just thought 'fuck it' and went nuclear, which finished the job.

Miller said in an interview regarding RW that he specfically decided for it not to be a result of a nuclear holocaust because he didn't want to work around all the complications of mutations and radiation and such.

Well MM didn't have a narrator and FR didn't so those two stories are from Max's perspective and are true. RW and BT were being told from a second source and could be mostly error.

I won't believe Miller intends for this impression until the fate of the Citadel is mentioned in the sequel

Let's be honest MM1 was a piece of shit and RW/BT were entertaining yet goofy and overplayed B-movies.

Assume FR is from the perspective of Furiosa as told after the fact. It makes sense as a way to legitimize her as a leader. "Oh, the mythical and almost godlike Max himself helped put me in charge, so you know I'm the real deal!"

The citadel and Furiosa probably won't even be mentioned in Wasteland

>MM1 was a piece of shit
>RW
>Goofy B-movie

I'll grant you Beyond Thunderdome, but this is a lot of wrong in one post

Road Warrior is still the peak of all post-apocalyptic media

Could be true. I guess she was more of a protag than Max was. If we are going that route than yeah his abilities could be overstated.

Also in the game Max still has his dog tags, wouldn't he have ditched them since he ended up hating the police force he was part of? I'm assuming they're his cop dog tags

>weird acting
>wacky soundtrack
>gay BDSM gangs

It was a b-movie that thought it was more serious that it played itself

I was thinking about Hardy snarling through Fury Road bit didn't know that was actually a definition for it. I can't wait for next episode of Taboo because I've liked Hardy since The Take.

>weird acting
Examples?
>wacky soundtrack
How?
>gay BDSM gangs
And?

None of these are arguments

Yes I suppose it won't

That's what bugs me the most about open-ended stuff like this: normies yell hoo-rah because female power got the Citadel, Sup Forums yells hoo-rah because dumb women got everyone killed and neither can prove the other wrong until the director himself specifies what happens next, and at this point that would be suicidal because he already got both sides in the bag

The house always wins

Because he's mad

You could say the same for Fury Road then

I guess it comes down to generation differences. I wasn't alive in the 70s/80s and the action soundtracks from those times with the orchestral horns annoyed me, and the acting from most the characters seemed overexaggerated.

I will admit RW is a great movie but these things just took away from it for me. I imagine when they came out these things were commonplace.

Perhaps I could, see

He is autistic and prefers to be alone.

I love comfy Mad Max threads

Everytime I watch them I feel like learning the basics of mechanic. Don't even have my driving license but they made me love the sound of a V8

It was all pretty fresh for the time really. Road Warrior innovated or put a new spin on things that seem cliche today.
>Post-apocalyptic wasteland
>Shoulder pads, leather, mohawks etc.
>Gruff anti-hero with optional doggo sidekick

I watched all the Mad Max movies in one day and I could see in Road Warrior so many things that I'd seen in other works of fiction since.

As for the over-the-top acting, I think it was a deliberate decision. Mel only has 16 lines of dialogue and mostly communicates through body language, which is why you need goofballs like the Gyro Captain or screaming maniacs like Wez.

>play the MMFR soundtrack in my car
>rev the engine
>war drums kick in

This makes sense. Fury Road still had a lot of new stuff that separates it from generic characters.

I love watching the films for all the cool cars and I'm not even a revhead

I always see something new in the background each time

Exactly and I think George Miller looks to do something new with Max and the world he lives in each time. All four films are in many ways completely different in terms of presentation. I expect whatever follows Fury Road will be something very dissimilar.

This is the face of a man who knows that the "refugees welcome" attitude won't have a happy ending, and he's getting the fuck away from it.

Yes, hence the nod of approval right afterwards

Max was a dick all a long, just led them back to their doom cuz he'd get a chuckle out of it.

Probably walking around in the desert gathering the remains of his car while laughing every time he hears a rape filled scream.

Am I the only one who wants to see a dystopic buddy cop movie with Max and Goose fucking about with deformed outlaws 'n shit?

This.

>Society run by women
>not disintegrating within two weeks

Max knew

rolling

I'd love to see a prequel to MM that's basically a straight buddy cop movie with Max and Goose taking part in road battles

>He got the tanker
Congrats, you're going to get royally buttfucked by every bandit in a 20 mile radius

Roll

roll

Jk Rolling

And you got a pile of trash you call a car

I can't even make fun of what you got, it's fucking sweet

Red and black batwing car GET

>Look like this
>Open your door to all the wasteland scum
>No passport checkings whatsoever

Female logic.

Let's see if kek and the almighty V8 is on my side.

>Wasteland scum
>Caring about women

>YWN have a loyal doggo to wonder the post-apocalyptic wasteland of Australia with

Enjoy your rocket car.

Cops have dog tags?

Gimme dat Interceptor!

Thanks Campbell

In the post-apocalypse, probably though I could see ol' max being a vet. Would explain a bit

>I've never seen a mad max movie before
t. (you)

Rolling

Maybe the Fury Road/video game Max was part of a separate continuity from the other movies. That is, assuming the game and movie are actually in the same universe, I can never keep track of this shit.

I like to see the game as a bridge between Thunderdome and Fury Road, but maybe you're right in saying they're a different universe.
Who knows, maybe the whole time Max was just some bedtime story for the people of the post-apocalypse, a myth, they all end with him departing from civilisation with little hope

I like witnessing my friends

>separate continuity
user no one gives a shit about continuity between the movies. Least of all George Miller himself. Max is supposed to be a post apocalyptic tall tale/figure of legend kind of thing.

>No one gives a shit about continuity between the movies

Wrong faggot

Here's the official explanation as to what happened between 1 and 2 put together by Miler

>The secrets that man will take to the grave

Will we ever truly understand his vision of the post-apocalypse

tldr war in the middle east fucks up the oil supply to everyone else, economy collapses, law and order breaks down and complete anarchy takes over

>user no one gives a shit about continuity between the movies.
I wasn't saying I did, just commenting that they're probably not related. Relax.

Has George Miller predicted the future?

Who is your waifu Sup Forums?

Based Toast

Red was the best of Immortan Joe's wives.

Capable since her actress is related to Elvis.

Dag>Capable>Splendid>Toast>Cheedo

But even Cheedo I'd ravage with the force of a thousand V8

I mean the explanation is actually pretty realistic and well-thought out, it's just the world goes completely mad afterwards

Toast (gunfu, sarcastic, smart) > Dag > Spendid > Capable > Cheedo (dumb emotional bitch)