A Series of Unfortunate Events

so, what did you thought of the serie ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=etuBB-pn9HY
reddit.com/r/ASOUE/comments/5npgy9/season_1_episode_6_discussion/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I want to kiss 2004 Emily Browning.

i want to lick her pusy so much

She looked like she was going to grow up to be third, but instead she's a skeleton. What a waste.

bump

Why'd you post a picture of the movie if you wanted to talk about the series, you braindead invalid?

I felt bad for watching it but I could not stop. It pulled me in.

>violet looks like a slav
>Klaus looks like an anglo

did this bother anyone else?

I'm 7 minutes into the pilot, but there's so much UST between these siblings that I'm already erect.

ah sorry for the trouble
who read the books in this thread ?

Only saw the pilot and thought it was pretty underwhelming, does it get better?

My main problem is Violet's casting.

In the books, she's drawn as about half a foot taller then Klaus, and described as a dressing for practicality. In the show, she's shorter then Klaus, looks slightly younger then him, and wears a fucking sundress with a cardigan to go meet Olaf.

The funniest part is, they're STILL drawn the same way when Violet is 17, Klaus is 14, and Sunny is 4. So when the show gets to something like Vile Village, Slippery Slope, or Penultimate Peril, Violet is going to look younger then Klaus because they're about the same age and Klaus is going to be a foot fucking taller then her.

Just finished Reptile Room and am really liking it, despite thinking that the trailer looked like shit

Pros
>Much less rushed than film of course, really benefits from it
>Actually think Violet and Olaf are casted well and the latter is entertaining
>Genuinely funny at times, especially the acting troupe
>Haven't minded the blatant diversity hiring so far, but am definitely concerned about black Aunt Josephine

Cons
>Weird aesthetic, think Tim Burton/Wes Anderson, sometimes it looks really green-screened and distracting
>Bad CGI
>Poe sperging out in Reptile room part two about the snake made me cringe, not funny
>Baby eating fucking ROCKS was retarded
>Not sure how I feel about the whole VFD members shit being revealed so early, that woman posed as the statue was dumb
>Klaus sperging out about the tattoo all the time

Even though I listed more pros than cons, it's still really good so far IMO

Faggot

I think it's pretty faithful to the books honestly. I went in with low expectations but they did a good job capturing the tone

I don't think this is that big of a deal. I think they are going to churn out this series really fast. I've heard that the next season is shooting soon, and I wouldn't be surprised if they shot the final season in 2017 as well

klaus in the sailor outfit

it really does. wasn't really sure after seeing the first two episodes - to me they were good but as you said pretty underwhelming - but the rest of the series definitely made it worth watching

It does actually. NPH in disguises is one of the best parts of the series.

It's pretty alright. I'm up to episode 5 and I'm enjoying it well enough. Can't help but wish it was fantastic instead of just good, though.

The rocks thing may be stupid but so is the whole concept of Sunny's character. She's a baby that acts like a young teenager but only speaks in baby talk.

The whole character of Jacqueline (the statue woman) is the only big issue I've had with it. I think the Tim Burton meets Wes ANderson style works for it as does subpar CGI since the world already looks so cartoony.

Yeah man she was pretty fucing cuute. I remember being really attracted to her as a kid

Yeah I was unsure about making the style comment (starting to grow on me), main issue is mainly with the green-screen/CGI stuff which I still don't like the cheapness of

Damn, she was so cute and that DSL
Also, top tier comfy music
youtube.com/watch?v=etuBB-pn9HY

Yea there were shots like the taxi approaching Aunt Josephine's house for the first time that look cartoony but it works and then there was shit like the crocodile which was just cheap and bad.

>Not sure how I feel about the whole VFD members shit being revealed so early, that woman posed as the statue was dumb

Somewhat agreed, but I think that her posing as a statue is kind of a satire of complicated schemes when you could just help normally.

Poe sperging out is directly from the book, but the lines were delivered poorly. Makes me sad, happened a couple times in the show.

Black Josephine isn't that bad, they don't make the diversity a plot point so I really don't care.

Agree totally, can definitely see how the car shots can be appealing but shitty looking animals from a PS2 game are objectively bad

glad to hear about josephine, probably will watch it pretty soon and see how I feel about it, but yeah, the diversity bothered me in the trailer but it's been fine in the show, same deal with the comedy (except harpoon gun scene)

>they don't make the diversity a plot point so I really don't care

this guy gets it

btw i liked what they did with her character and the fact that she actually ended up showing some sort of bravery for a few moments made me feel sorry for her in a way neither the original novel nor the 2004 movie had

Remember when Cedric the Entertainer was in the movie for some reason?

So I missed it for episode 2 and 3 but the opening song changes every episode. The first part gives a summary of the next two parts sung by the chorus and part two is sung by Olaf in disguise.

I'm still waiting for the torrent

The one with all the episodes is out already but they're in low quality and I ain't touching that shit, only 2 episodes seem to be out in 1080p so far

i honestly don't get people who don't pay for netflix, especially because it's so easy to account share.

Fun fact: "Olaf" spelled backwards is "Falò", which means "bonfire" in Italian.
It could be a coincidence, but on the other hand Daniel Handler likes making the occasional nod to Italian cuisine and culture, and the main villain of his other series featuring Lemony Snicket (All of the Wrong Questions) also has a pseudonym related to fire ("Hangfire").

I want the song at the end

Where did you see the two 1080p episodes

>Having friends / a family
Where do you think you are?

I meant "All the Wrong Questions".

top kek

>Welcomed into kind ladies house to live with her
>even gives you gifts out of the kindness of her heart
>immediately convince her to leave the house
>break all her rules and eat her food after she made dinner
>hack into her private safe

Just finished the last episode. I wasn't a huge fan of NPH as Olaf at first, but he grew on me. I still think Jim Carrey was better however, NPH just always seems like NPH under everything.
My biggest gripe with the show was the absolute garbage tier CGI when it came to Sunny, particularly in the third book when the house is falling apart.
Much like the books, there's a good mix of humor/language for older folks that isn't obtrusive to younger viewers as well (mentioning Sonic Youth in the reptile room, Olaf insinuating herpetology is the study of herpes, etc) and most of it wasn't dumb outside of the pilot ("I ordered it online xD")
It's looking to me like Daniel Handler is using this to fill in plot holes/unexplained things in the base books (I didn't read any of the extra shit after that were prequels, just the 13 books) like giving Gustav some semblance of a role.
I can't wait to see what Carmelita Spats and Esme look like

Lol klaus is shit

I want to tenderly plow his boipussy.

Yeah, I agree. I thought the last book was disappointing when I was younger, so if they make it that far I hope they'll give some definitive answers, it felt like the author hadn't planned out an ending and decided "lol some questions shouldn't be answered" was his best ending option

You are a pleb.

The End is a fantastic book, and there's so much that's resolved in subtle ways.

Uh huh.
>Le snake and le apple. *tips fedora*

But really, what was subtly resolved in that book?

Anyone notice the taxi driver says, "Call me Ishmael" when he drops the kids back off at Josephine's house?

Emily is the superior Violet Malina is fine though.
Netflix Klaus is the superior Klaus

>le classic literature reference

Just read the series again. I read it for the first time at age 9 and I was pretty upset at the lack of resolution the first time. But I reread it a few months ago to prepare for this and I was pleasantly surprised at how satisfying it all tied together.

Just reread it and then tell me what you WEREN'T satisfied with.

They need to hury, I bet that kid playing Claus is going to spring like Bran in GOT. He'l be taller than NPH

Idiots on reddit were freaking about that being the Ishmael from book 13 and downvoted me for saying it's a Moby Dick reference. That place is beyond hope

>Just reread it and then tell me what you WEREN'T satisfied with

The lack of incest :/

Daily reminder that the only reason Olaf is doing any of this is because Bertrand and Beatrice murdered his own parents and left him an orphan.

Sugar bowl - why's it important? No answer, even according to the wiki, apparently exonerates Lemony and I thought they at one point implied horseradish was in there, but why bother if you can get it anywhere?

What caused the schism? What is the significance of setting all the fires?

What happened to the children? And the Quagmires?

What was the question mark thing in the water?

Who set the fire that killed the parents, and why were they killed in it if there were passages under the house and it seems like VFD members like them are super capable.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. Maybe I will reread them and get more than when I was younger, but the vast majority of people seem to agree that 13 was not a satisfying ending.

What the fuck?!? He literally mentions a white whale right before he says that. Reddit is cancer

How's he?

Link

Who would you rather, Sup Forums?

Old Violet or New Violet?

Old, easily

Okay. I guess it's going to be a preference thing. I'll try to explain my perspective, but you're allowed to disagree.

ASOUE is heavily inspired by postmodern works. The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon is clearly a major inspiration (a secret symbol for a mysterious organization is the theme of the book). This book is actually referenced in Ersatz Elevator. But anyway, many of these novels don't have hard endings or hard answers. The point is the journey.

But yeah, all of the things you listed (besides the question mark, it's explained to be a weird serpent thing in the prequel series) are not ever answered. IMO that's great, the story really shines in terms of its themes because of that. All of these people commit horrible treacheries because of things they don't fully grasp. The schism has been going on for longer than most of the players have been agents for. It's implied that there are lots of secret organizations and powers working just outside sight. It's a fun world.

But I don't blame you for not liking those kinds of stories. I felt the same way at first, until I got into these, but now I appreciate ASOUE as a kid's series a ton more. It really sets you up to understand other literature you'll encounter later in your life.

I can only answer one question.

I'm pretty sure there was a roman guy, part of the original triumvirate. He used to run the local fire department, and pureppsefupy cause fires so people would buy his insurance in case of a fire. Pretty sure that is what Olaf did before the schism, he got caught out and there was that split. Considering hecame from pretty poor background, it makes sense.

That's what I remember from the books but could be wrong.

reddit.com/r/ASOUE/comments/5npgy9/season_1_episode_6_discussion/

positive score now, but yeah

>thicc*

Mediocre most of the time, but whenever Beatrice and his love for her comes in he fucking nails it.

>grow up to be a third

I see. I like Pynchon and I agree with your point about those kinds of endings in general, but I think as a kid who's been invested in the series for 13 novels, it's a disappointment to not get many of these answers

I'd pick both but if I had to choose just one I'd pick new.

>Clearly she's a woman. Look at her pants suit.

Thanks i was nervous about him and NPH but it seems they're serviceable.

Am I the only one disappointed yet again that they didn't cast actors who look like the illustrations?

They were drawn the same way on every cover. That's how imagined them while reading.

Klaus has a round face and round glasses. Violet I'd taller and had a plain sad face.

When I first saw the actors I thought they were the same ones from the movie.

I'm sure I'll like the series assuming they hired them on talent rather than an exact likeness but still not how I imagine the characters.

>Klaus has a round face and round glasses.

I'm glad they didn't.
I always found Klaus ugly as fuck

How can the new one even compete?

based

Jacqueline is a genderbent Jacques Snicket

Combined with elements of Kit, mainly because I doubt the Vile Village episodes will work with her.

>dislike the movie for leaving out too much
>get hyped for a faithful adaptation
>they Hobbit'd the series with expanded lore

It's all written by Daniel Handler though.
And most of the lore rings true to the tie-in books.

Except for Jacqueline.
Give me a proper Jacques fuckers

i'm an adult. why would i watch a series primarily aimed at kids? same question goes for every single superhero movie of the past few years.

Instead they hire bland teenage actors and these guys
at least they gave this one glasses

I read to about book 9 as a kid and hardly remember any specifics

Each book was just a variation of "kids are put somewhere new, count olaf returns and tries to scam them, they narrowly escape to their next destination"

I mean they were kids books, so whatever, the main appeal is the wackyness of it all and the kids being clever enough to handle it

I might watch if ends up being well received, to see how it ends.

How are they handling the pacing? How many books did they get through in this season?

At least the lore is coming from Daniel Handler himself. It would have felt cheaper if someone else was adding more backstory.

4 books, 2 hours each

not quite, they added the VFD subplot starting in I think book 5?

New violet is a qt.

Which is weird, because the only episodes the author directly worked on were the first two.

he is cute
you shut up

I want 2004 Emily Browning to kiss 2017 Malina Weissman

:O

The baby is voiced by Tara strong?

Why did they reveal the parents so early

How? That makes 0 sense, how would she be mistaken for Olaf?

Unless you have some confirmation of that I don't think she is.

why don't you finish watching it and find out.

Keep watching

what? the new show is released? wtf why didn't anyone tell me

They've probably switched Jacques and Kit's names to keep the J.S. mystery near the end more consistent