Series of Unfortunate Events

Its been more than a few years since i read all the books but was it implied that their parents were still alive

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Xer4VCa5-tg
cnet.com/news/netflix-series-of-unfortunate-events-lemony-snicket-teaser-trailer-is-not-fake/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Violet is ridiculously short, I don't understand why these people refuse to cast people who are like 18~20 for her role.

>She's drawn as a solid half meter taller then Klaus
>She's consistently shown to be older then Klaus

It's going to be funny in like, 3 years when they're doing The Hostile Hospital or the Grim Grotto and Violet is supposed to be 17 while Klaus is 15, and Klaus has a goddamn foot in height on her.

violet fits the part, and acts great. but i was actually blown away by the ability of klaus' actor, especially in the "this isn't better than nothing" scnene, as well as in the miserable mill. also will arnet and cobie smulders are the quagmire parents. it was also great to see sir and charles' relationship be outright stated to be gay, since it was hinted at that by snicket.

Lasting power m8, if you hire a 18 year old she will become a disgusting roastie by third season, just look at chloe

the series will be done before three years lol. they take these things into consideration more now. there will be three seasons, and the second is going to shoot soon

>It's going to be funny in like, 3 years when they're doing The Hostile Hospital or the Grim Grotto
They're already writing season 2 which will go up to the carnival. Sounds like they want to get this out for exactly that reason.

Same, I really think by the time this series reaches The End (literally) there are going to be some great performances, I can't fucking wait for the last few episodes.
I guarantee all the comedy/humor that's present now will be completely gone towards the last season. It's pure misery in the final books.

I almost shut it off at Sunny eating the fucking rock and how cheesy and fucking horrible that looked, but I'm glad I stuck through the first episode. It's hard to get Jim Carrey out of my head but I think NPH is doing a good job so far.

They have captured the surreal and hopeless feelng of the world that I remember feeling as a kid readng the books, so I'm glad they were able to.

I like the series but I don't understand why Olaf is always presented like a fucking comedian.

When I read the books I always thought he was a huge threat and was a fucked up individual.

Same, i remember being terrified of him as a kid. Once i re-read them though, I found myself laughing.

And i agree, sir and charles being gay was a nice touch. i dont remember them being explicit in the books, but i do remember them sharing a bed when they stayed at the hotel.

Also, in the Autobiography there's a note of C loving S, but S not deserving it

I cant seem to locate this on Netflix. Wasn't it due out today?

>not using the search

I wasn't expecting much, but I've been pleasantly surprised.

Wish they'd ditch some of the Jim Carey bits for Olaf (constantly making reer boxes about wanting the fortune and how he doesn't give a shit about them in front of adult) but otherwise actually okay.

im exited for the question mark ship in grim grotto i dont know why

>tfw they hint at the Bombinating Beast

I just realized that Olaf and Kit's romantic backstory has more POTTERY since the final scene implies that he and Lemony were best friends.

oh ok. Its still not there though.

What is this actually about?

Looks weird.

Are you in the US?

While I was hoping the Quagmires would get a race lift. I can see how they had to be white in order for mother and father to be mistaken by the audience to be violet, klaus and sunny's parents

>wanting to see violet kissing a non-white

get out

I always imagined them as black and i'll admit that's solely because I knew a set of black boy/girl twins growing up, and I just imagined them in my head when I read it

No but it turns out that Lemony Snicket's possible former lover Beatrice is their mom

Why are they such shit actors, you just know their career will be over after this.

>tfw you remember all the characters and scenes from that time you read the books as a kid

Today was a good day

Are the audio books good? Haven't read the books since I was young and I don't remember much

Might as well just read them. The text is huge as fuck and you'll read the first 6 books within a week.

What is it actually about?
Why should I bother?
Pitch in a sentence.

kino needs more carrey

3 Orphans have shit lives while one menacing villain goes after their fortune, all the while a deeper plot and mystery revolves around the 3 orphans' parents past etc.

i had to a run on sentence sorry. i will say that they were written for children and they are very formulaic with the first few books. it's not everyone's thing.

3 kind and intelligent kids lose their home and parents in a fire. as they are shipped from one incompetent guardian to the next, they are followed by the wacky count olaf who wants to steal their inheritance. they also discover their parents were part of a secret organization.

Literrary allusions for parents w/ interesting characters for kids

NPH is good though.
He can't quite transform into a different person, but he brings his A-game.

It doesn't sound captivating or interesting.
>but I hear lots of people like it

What do they mean by this?
>Why?

I think I'm gonna HAVE to watch this. I hope it's good. I loved the books and thought it was a shame it didn't make it big as a series of films.

He was a threat but I always saw him as also more than a little silly, especially as he began to wear disguises.

Wasn't he also a man of the theater?

I always got the impression that he claimed to be an actor to get avoid saying he was unemployed/as a front to get the henchpeople to work for him. I guess the show is going to play up his past as an actual actor.

The thing that made it fun was that it's dark while also possessing an incredibly odd writing style, or rather an odd narrator. It feels unique, or a little like Candide. I quite adored the whole series, nice balance of tragedy, hope, and comedy.

I loved lemony showing up to discuss shit (it felt more like the books that way) wearing whatever clothes helped him blend in, despite the fact that no one could see him. I also loved NPH singing as himself in part one of the episode's theme, but then using whatever accent/voice in part 2.

Samefam.

I haven't read the books since I was a kid so I could be misremembering but I remember Olaf as being cold cruel and calculating enough to keep his ulterior motime somewhat secret even if the kids suspected something.

If anything surprised me, it's how similar NPH's performance was to Carrey.

I've only seen the first episode and I'm sure NPH will impress. I can see him doing all the costumes and alter egos wih gusto.

But I thought they went a little over board with the comedy this early on. He literally makes jokes in front of the kids, Poe, Strauss about how he only cares about their money.

They needed to set him up as an imposing evil man and then as the series goes on and his costumps get more ridiculous does he start to become a pathetic comic figure.

>I can see him doing all the costumes and alter egos wih gusto.
That's where he outshines carrey in my opinion.

>but I remember Olaf as being cold cruel and calculating enough to keep his ulterior motime somewhat secret even if the kids suspected something.
Not exactly. He didn't joke about it but he asked Mr. Poe questions about their money that would make anyone else raise an eyebrow. He actually wasn't that cunning which is why in the last book when there are adults who aren't retarded they see through ever single one of his schemes.

I can't wait to see NPH as Detective Dupin

>Uncool, guys

Am I the only one surprised by how funny the show is? When I first saw the trailer with the joke about him ordering the hourglass off of the internet and I thought the show would be filled with millennial pandering but I actually laughed at some of the jokes and thought it matched the tone of the books well

I forget the name but the auctioneer one where he speaks in a bad accent and punctuated every sentence with please.

>hello please.

I'm also looking forward to Esme, because I remember hating her more than Olaf.

>LAND HO
>i told you to stop calling me that

Cerberus effect. It gets darker quickly. Only 1 of the orphans survive till the final book

None of them died???

>I can't seem to find the sugar bowl

>tfw the Telescope is integral to finding it
Seems to work on filtered vision

I haven't watched it yet but I;m going to tonight. These books were my shit as a kid.

>Wil Arnett is the dad

Does he have a contract to just do Netflix stuff?

Seems that way, I'd guess NPH suggested Cobie Smulders join too due to their previous work together.

He must. There's literally no other reason to include him besides the fact that he's Netflix's bitch. He's a comedic actor who wasn't given a single humorous line.

I liked his determined dad bit though.

The songs suck.

Ive hated NPH as a singer ever since he did Company.

This has got to be a joke, because I love how catchy it is and NPH is great.

tits or gtfo

I hate the opening song

the "fake trailer" was better

youtube.com/watch?v=Xer4VCa5-tg

Yeah the opening theme from the film was way better

how's 8th grade going?

this overuse of CG and the dialogue is killing this for me. I read the books when I was a kid so I know that it's a very distinct style and tone, but it's gonna bug me if violet and klaus talk to eachother like this the for the whole series. They're like 2 sibling who are secretly fucking and act curt and polite with eachother all the time to make others think nothings going on

Im sorry, but i dont attend grade school. Good luck with that.

god damn this still holds up. I think it was real, the leeches in episode 3 are CGIed exactly like that one

wouldnt call that a "fake" trailer, more like what Pixar does where their initial teaser is something totally original that contains no scenes from the actual movie

I'm really surprised by how good it is. The trailers looked like total shit. There are still a lot of things I liked more in the film though.

Nope. Carrey's Stephano alone beats every disguise NPH portrays.

>secret incestual undertones

Eh, could be worse

The books are smartly written with dry humour, about three orphans whose parent's fortune becomes the target of a vile man. The first few books are sort of repetitive, where the orphans are given a new home and the villain tracks them down and tries to take their fortune, but there's an recurring mystery surrounding their parents death and the death of another family, in addition to the questions surrounding their parent's lives.

Really good book series. I red it as a kid and recently reread it a few years ago. I'd recommend them.

>Vile man

Really, he's just a nutjob who adopts different characters to try and steal the orphan's money.

I mean... he kills a lot of people.

Like I said... nutjob.

yea as far as lore goes from youth novels of that late 90s/early mid 2000s era, Unfortunate Events has Harry Potter beat big time. Snicket was always better than Rowling.

Absolutely. There's so much I missed as a kid. What I love about Snicket's books is that they're written for kids but have adults in mind as well. I never really got back into Harry Potter because the books are exactly as I remember them as a kid, with nothing in the way of deeper subplots and nods to adult readers.

By the end he's not really after the money anymore, in fact I'd say after the first few he can't get his hands on the fortune at all it's just become a guerilla war of him and his cohorts against what's left of VFD

Violet is so cute I just want to cum all over her

Should have known, given how autistic homeschooled kids are.

> took 33 mins to reply

Grade schoolers are a little slow

Klaus is also really handsome and I'd love to cuddle with him and read

I am a little worried from the appearance of Jacqueline and Gustav that we are going to learn more about VFD. When I read the books back in middle school, I had been under the impression that VFD had long since disbanded.

I just wanna tie her hair and inflict some rump pain on her.

>Monty is Mr. DeepCrust

GooOOOoooOOO

I absolutely loved Klaus. It was like a major tear jerker when Olaf hit him

>This isn't!
>Isn't what?
>Better than nothing!

now your thinking like a jewish casting director

Netflix denied that they made it though.

Seeing Black Mariah as Josephine was funny.

And you believe them? How can anyone think that teaser is fan made.

Violet is cute!

They have a comment from the official Netflix account right there on the video.

>tfw I laughed when Olaf slapped klaus

Inb4 edgy, I just found it satisfying

The "SSSSSS" part went too long.

This definitely bugged me too. Was the spyglass even a thing in the books? I feel that the early focus on VFD is kind of annoying and ruins the mystery/discovery of the secret organization that you start getting inklings of in books 5 and 6.

I've only finished the first two episodes thus far; I really like the set design and general 'feel' of the world. NPH is doing an admirable job and the henchmen are kind of fun too. Not digging the Orphans' performances though but they are inoffensive.

Kronk is probably the best character though.

No no it's 'SSSSSSS'

Yeah, when the video first went up, Netflix left a comment saying "sorry guys, this isn't us." Now that they announced the date, they also commented on the video since it's free advertising. But it's not evidence that they're the makers of the video.

>Kronk is probably the best character though.

"Oh, right. The sugar bowl. The bowl for sugar, the bowl chosen especially to hold sugar, the sugar bowl. That bowl?"

>Where did you study herpetology?
>I don't know anything about mouth sores

The whole denying it thing was a marketing thing/a play on the plot of the story. The uploader was even named after Poe's wife (a character not even an avid fan would think to use) but it fits for the show because she's more prominent.

>news article that patrick wearburton opens on first episode
>story about tow trucks facing extinction has full story
>story about baudelaire children uses that "TV latin" text

So how's the adaptation? I never read the book series

Yeah I know, there's a few journalists speculating that it was Netflix behind everything. But still no proofs.

cnet.com/news/netflix-series-of-unfortunate-events-lemony-snicket-teaser-trailer-is-not-fake/