/prod/ - Music Production General

Music production discussion edition

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback. Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

Previous thread: >ATTENTION!
DON'T post Soundcloud, YouTube, or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That's considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback.

>RESOURCES:

Sound Design:
>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>Rocket Powered Sound (Constant quality uploads of various EDM sounds in Serum with explanations that help make something unique)
youtube.com/channel/UCFReVt5TAC1zGnuNkgHw-fg

>Syntorial (widely considered the best place to go to learn synthesis)
syntorial.com/

>Mr. Bill (Ableton based, some of the best sound design tutorials on the planet. Aimed more towards IDM-type stuff. He also posts his music here)
youtube.com/user/MrBillsTunes

>BusyWorksBeats (explains hip hop in very elaborate ways in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>Sadowick (explains old school electronic music in very elaborate ways in Ableton)
youtube.com/user/SadowickProduction

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

MIXING:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>Samori Coles (Compression, EQ, etc)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

FL STUDIO:

>WarBeats (Getting comfortable in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Image Line Tutorials
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

WRITING:

>12tone
youtube.com/channel/UCTUtqcDkzw7bisadh6AOx5w/playlists

>Micheal New
youtube.com/user/Rhaptapsody/playlists

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/tdc5ln0r
vocaroo.com/i/s14hJoVJeJLp
vocaroo.com/i/s1bGlEDXuz61
clyp.it/ckxqso4h
vocaroo.com/i/s14UpQVPqBCG
vocaroo.com/i/s18WKfLN5Efp
vocaroo.com/i/s1hXGrorssqV
clyp.it/spuybsy5
vocaroo.com/i/s1VZ7QI0VtTb
clyp.it/kbygueh0
clyp.it/diwm452c
yohng.com/software/w1limit.html
boscomac.free.fr/?p=patasonix
soniccharge.com/microtonic
clyp.it/vpoglxvd
clyp.it/yytc0umi
clyp.it/5ilweavn
clyp.it/zraa5hdx
clyp.it/oiqocsey
clyp.it/l5r4vqhu
clyp.it/z2wk0ett
vocaroo.com/i/s10q4Ro8fAnn
clyp.it/g52djz13
freesound.org/people/stellarartwars15/sounds/368400/
freesound.org/people/DanielsonIII/sounds/68400/
freesound.org/people/SpeedY/sounds/8400/
freesound.org/people/tedthetrumpet/sounds/400/
clyp.it/zzzaxzcq
clyp.it/sb4zv0ft
clyp.it/35l1ugsf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I've been playing guitar for quite a while and can tell when it's out of tune even by a bit
obviously I'm not tone deaf (unless I misunderstand the term) if I can hear how out of tune I am when listening back; I can tell when chords are out of key and so on
but like you said, probably the real issue is that I've never really _practiced_ singing, and maybe had the wrong expectations
I'll just practice some more, try to sing in intervals along with the guitar, do some easier songs and just correct myself where I fuck up in recordings bit by bit

the road is long desu

can anyone recommend resources on creating IDM-type percussion using FM synthesis? would prefer long, in-depth videos but i don't mind reading as long as there's a lot of info packed into it.

user from /gg/ here
i knew i wasnt tone deaf because could play guitar but i couldn't sing along to music or whistle new melodies over other's chords to save my life
practicing singing scales and songs' vocal lines, recording myself singing is getting me to improve in that so far, though i'm not good adviser on that because i'm learning too slowly and i see ppl on yt sing much better than i do after 1 year

clyp.it/tdc5ln0r

do i have talent
vocaroo.com/i/s14hJoVJeJLp
vocaroo.com/i/s1bGlEDXuz61

Why is /gg/ sending people here for information about singing. I’ve been here from the start and I don’t ever remember hearing any singing?

posted this on the last thread but either got overlooked or no one was interested but I would like some feedback on the mix/arrangement/structure of the song. really any feedback

clyp.it/ckxqso4h

not currently. I'm not sure why you're doing the things you are with your voice in the second one.

its called solfeggio or practicing triads and scales, are you bullying

yeah i guess practicing scales is a good place to start if you're trying to see measurable progress quickly. honestly just keep recording yourself and be your biggest critic. do takes over and over until you're satisfied. sing in the car. drink water before you sing. do covers. don't know what else to say other than that some crafts take longer for people to get good at, and some people can never be good at certain tasks so its not really important to compare to others. I can't help you too much more if you don't post a clip or anything

nah I'm not bullying, I just was unsure what that was. sounded like you were libbing. I didn't call you talentless, I just said you weren't currently talented. It sounds like you need a lot of work

are you

my clips:

and actual song: vocaroo.com/i/s14UpQVPqBCG vocaroo.com/i/s18WKfLN5Efp

wasnt i hitting the notes well

non
but I do appreciate the advice :3
and n-no I'm not posting any clips y-yet

vocaroo.com/i/s1hXGrorssqV
Critique my track

I'm the same guy that you thought was bullying you, and no, not him.

on second listen, you're in the proximity of the notes. It doesn't sound totally tone deaf. your guitar sounds out of tune with itself. you just need to get better at transitioning notes and in general your inflection/performance. It doesn't sound natural

>vocaroo.com/i/s1hXGrorssqV
>Are you bullying?

wrong link lmao

do i really need ozone or can ableton's stock plugins do the same thing?

clyp.it/spuybsy5
A track I just started working on. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Stock plugins can do sufficient.

don't really think this can be critiqued bc it obviously serves to mainly be noise. as far as noises go, it's moderately interesting but only impressive if you were creating it with actual hardware. in terms of quality it's not great, maybe it's vocaroo. I know it's supposed to be gritty but needs to be cleaned up

When playing live with vocals can you run it through ableton to use vocal effects (delay, reverb, compression) and use a midi keyboard with a soft synths? Is it doable with the latency which arrives? Or do you have to buy hardware vocal effects and a hardware synth to the mixer with the backing track?

A lot of soft synths have a standalone mode which allows for less through-latency since you're not processing the synth via your DAW - if you use a decent interface with proper ASIO/Core Audio drivers it helps more than anything though - audio processing with plugins adds a little more latency but again if you don't need to use a DAW when performing you can use a more lightweight VST host instead.

Bottom line is that it's doable with a decent interface and software that doesn't bog down your system.

This is great advice. Do you know at about which latency ms it is doable? Also what about vocal processing? I take it effect chains doesn't come sandalone.

Both vocals and guitar processing through a computer with hosted plugins or amp sims tend to follow the same scheme of thinking - most users say they can get used to as much as 20-30 ms of latency but I'd say that's still a thing you'd need to work at getting used to and you should be aiming for 15-20 at most, guitarists especially (shredders in particular) will say that 20 ms is far too much so it depends on your style I suppose.

Some VST hosts will allow effect chains - each additional plugin will add more latency though so go for really lightweight plugins if chaining.

Thanks alot bro have a good night

vocaroo.com/i/s1VZ7QI0VtTb

No worries, but I just need to add here - a lot of audio driver control panels will report latency differently, some will only show input latency and so people see maybe 5ms at decent buffer settings and think that is their total latency, it won't be. You'll see a similar amount added to the output too and once you add processing latency you're into the 15ms territory. Best source for info is your audio interface manual for best case round-trip figures.

yeah literally nobody makes these

if you already know the basics of it you're on your own to fuck with it, same as any other type of experimental music

lol

no you don't "need" ozone, but i wouldn't use ableton's limiter, at least use something else for that

audacity or adobe audition?

clyp.it/kbygueh0

still a work in progress i guess but i want to hear your opinions

whats wrong with lives limiter

i'm glad to see a /prod/ general with SOPHIE on the OP pic, very nice new track

IDM is certainly "out there" but i wouldn't call it experimental. I suppose I get what you mean though, they tend to just chop shit up and fuck around with it until it sounds like something resembling percussion; I just assumed there were some conventions regarding it

hows the inflection/transitioning/performance in this one?
clyp.it/diwm452c

what this free Waves L1 knockoff?
yohng.com/software/w1limit.html

Much better. Your voice sounds kind of wavering though still, like maybe you’re trying to force vibrato. I’d practice just trying to stay on one note. Vibrato is a technique induced by air and practice, not forced

record yourself fucking with the parameters of the FM synth, then chop it up and put those chops into a drum machine or sampler. (if ableton, 'slice to midi' is the feature to use here)

boscomac.free.fr/?p=patasonix
you can reverse engineer this in reaktor

and
soniccharge.com/microtonic

its vibrato

ITT: no one gives any feedback

pls feedback me

kind of lo fi ambient downtempo thing. hopefully induces nostalgia

clyp.it/vpoglxvd

not sure if i should gut the intro or extend it, or leave be?

You should probably extend the intro.

not as much control (obviously) and it distorts pretty quickly. it's a fairly popular opinion.

i've used it just for quick and dirty situations plenty but if you're stuff is fairly dynamic i'd use something else

T R A N S P H O B I C C

i mean even if you go with the strict meaning of experimental it still fits lol. i guess it depends on who/what your idea of idm is.

i don't tend to make a lot of the percussion from fm but it shouldn't be hard. just use odd ratios, try turning key sync off, fast lfo's, snappy envelopes etc etc

i've no idea

the guy who makes the molot compressor has a free limiter called limiter no 6 iirc. i haven't used it but molot is the shit so i doubt it wouldn't serve it's purpose well

welcome

your threads are shit

Best DAW?

B A I T

No, I just wanna know. I want to which one to pick, I want to get into producing. People tell me Ableton, yet FL looks simple.

whatever daw you like using best don't fall for shills

It comes down to your needs

lounge-y, love the pads. but that sound that comes in at 00:12 and repeats is in a different scale from the pads. Its only like 2 notes different, so i'm sure it's fixable even if its a loop sample. Arrangement is nice.

You aren't Sam Cooke, but you've got a decent sound. Keep it up, the more hours in the better you'll become.

Really like this. Arrangement is solid imo, though I hate how it ends (unless it goes directly into another fast paced song). Mix wise it seemed a little too quiet for the style, maybe use some more compression across everything?

Interesting. I like what you have going on at 00:55 with the combination of guitar and electronic drums. if it were me, I'd keep this stuff going and nose dive into some stronger sludge/doom metal vibes.

P good beat, keep going on it. I'd try sidechain compression on the pads so they duck when the bass plays on last half of the phrase.

Good collection of parts, though that intro is a bit too long and by the time the end of the song i'm way over that sample that plays throughout.

Are you Album Leaf? Good choices. Intro needs to be longer, song itself needs to be longer. I'd add some comfy low passed field recordings for extra nostalgia

clyp.it/diwm452c

clyp.it/yytc0umi
How is this?

>clyp.it/yytc0umi
i like the beat in the beginning but i think it needs to be more tick-y and less click-y if that makes any sense? otherwise it'll sound like the cha cha preset on a casio keyboard no offense mate i like the idea behind this piece

i would work also on fleshing out the low end. sacrifice some of those mids for some mid-low end (but cut below 50). it'll help it sound more full.

check out the eq for your second main part and try to make the first main part's eq almost match

this is all taste though, maybe that's not what you want. the second part of the second segment where the bells comes in sounds very balanced and i really like it.

can anyone help me? I'm trying to mix better
here's 8 bars of the opening:

clyp.it/5ilweavn

and 8 of the main:
clyp.it/zraa5hdx

i'm not very technical with my mixing or mastering and that's a major weakness for me

>vocaroo.com/i/s1bGlEDXuz61
honey i think you need to figure out your vocal register first. maybe try a more bass sound

clyp.it/oiqocsey

indie synth pop ?
idk just made this right now

did you use a sample for the chords? either way i really like the vibe

really good. everything sounds perfect imo except the ending which seems cut short.

>clyp.it/zraa5hdx
more layers on your snare/kick, fatten the drums up a bit with parallel saturation
synths are mixed fairly well, maybe need a bit more sub on the bassier ones though

vibe is nice, probably wanna make the kick a bit less flabby (use compression and eq out around the 250-400 range, sweep frequencies with a notch to find the problematic cis scum ones)
synths are nice, slight bit of clashing easily fixed with eq though

heres mine, very wip no real intro
its 140 bpm bassy music

clyp.it/l5r4vqhu

I used a sample from Nicholas Jaar's Near Death.

>clyp.it/tdc5ln0r
drums sound nice, kick could push through a little more. synths sound kinda cheap. Keep working on it.

>vocaroo.com/i/s14hJoVJeJLp
not sure if joking or not.

>clyp.it/ckxqso4h
would smoke weed in my garage too. why does the ending cut out like that?

>clyp.it/kbygueh0
get to the main part quicker, i agree that the intro is too long. side chain that kick too, make the track pump a little more will help it a lot.

>clyp.it/diwm452c
sounds very authentic. I have no critique for this, maybe better recording method/gear but you definitely can play, and your voice is soothing.

>clyp.it/vpoglxvd
the pause at 0:30 seems a little too long for me. chord at 0:44 sounds off. Other than that it gave e decent vibes.

>clyp.it/yytc0umi
everything seems so distant in the mix, try and bring things more forward. seems like it's lacking in direction.

not sure if i like the side to side panning in the synth, try and fade in the intro instead of having it all come at once. maybe add the vocals a tad after the start. side chain that kick, try adding layers in the synth and it seems like you having everything coming right up the middle.

I give very short feedback at the start because i dont know who's still lurking. if you want more details or have any further questions on how to execute methods, hit me with some feedback and i'll happily return the favor in depth to any further questions. (:

Here's a track I'm working on. The second build into the drop needs work, so its not 100% gonna be like that. There's a sample near the end that get's used a lot near the final segments that I was playing around with too, may not keep that either.

Lemme know what you think, weather it be mix, arrangement, etc. (:

clyp.it/z2wk0ett

is using the dry/wet mix on ableton's compressor the same as parallel compression?

or would I have to make a separate send channel for parallel compression instead of just throwing this on the instrument channel and adjusting the dry/wet?

t. pleb

its basically the same thing but u have less control over it

because of the dry wet knob its the same as if you put on a send

No, it’s not the same.

in ableton you can parallel by making an effect rack, which is much easier than the traditional way.

anyone know what this song is? it's jazz and I swear I've heard it sampled before
vocaroo.com/i/s10q4Ro8fAnn

Anybody else notice that a lot of 90s rock and metal have little high end?

clyp.it/g52djz13

mono drums and widen your guitars

next OP add this plz

freesound.org/people/stellarartwars15/sounds/368400/

freesound.org/people/DanielsonIII/sounds/68400/

freesound.org/people/SpeedY/sounds/8400/

freesound.org/people/tedthetrumpet/sounds/400/

working on something now

Decent idea except the same first 9 sounds (and 99 but not as big a deal) are going to be reused over and over

just spent the last hour making this little sketch. there's not much there musically speaking, i just wanna know if you guys like the general vibe.
let me know if there's anything that sounds off in the mix.
clyp.it/zzzaxzcq

a bunch of them dont exist, but if it became a problem we could exclude them

Tryna keep it absolutely mad
clyp.it/sb4zv0ft

>saw synthesis is for children who are just learning how to bleep
>fm synthesis is for competent college student-level adults
>modular synthesis is for seasoned veterans playing on god mode
how true is this?

highly accurate

Use whatever you want to get your ideas out. thinking like this is the opposite of successful music production

>god mode
*expert mode, I meant

What would god mode be then?

God mode often refers to the rules no longer applying to the player; the player can fly, walk through walls, has infinite currency, etc
Expert mode means the game is really, really hard and implies that the player has tons of experience playing the game.
So I have no idea what God Mode would be. Ask Clarence Clarity or someone of that caliber.

Is there a way to get a cracked version of melodics. I'm using it since a few months, but since I don't practice regularly, I don't want to keep my subscription.

sounds like max/msp or reaktor

This is pretty good. The only complaint I have about the mix is that the kick is a little too quiet.

I heard somewhere that it's a faux pas to use built-in effects on your tracks and that it's an asshole thing to use like garageband's built-in reverb (Dan Barrett mentioned it in an interview)

But i keep seeing lost of guys on youtube actually using them in Ableton. Are ableton's effects just so good that it's okay to use them in a professional setting?

Thanks, i do like album leaf

everything is ok to use in a professional setting as long as it sounds good...

also I haven't posted a clyp in a long while but we're back, I'm reworking this right now

clyp.it/35l1ugsf

They are not as fancy as third-party plug-ins, but I don't see why you shouldn't use it if it sounds good.

I guess I can ask here as well: does anyone have a good ear?

ableton's effects are okay.
i wouldn't use the ableton reverb personally as it's a bit boring imo.
much better options out there even at low-low prices if you're a buyfag (red: valhallaroom)

does anyone know exactly what the new width knob on the live 10 utility is doing? the manual has next to no details:

>The Width control sets the stereo width of the wet signal. 0% yields a mono signal whereas values above 100% create a widened stereo panorama.

there's more detail about the legacy mode in there ffs. what i'd like to know is how the widening is being achieved.

Fsus4 - Ab Major - Db Major - Bb Minor

Thanks, I got it now.

above 100% the side signal gets amplified
analogically below 100%

Why exactly do you think the reverb is boring? In terms of knobs or because the sound just sounds unrealistic?

ta very much, you appear to be right.

i probably just got tired of hearing the algorithm over the years is all. realism isn't really a concern with algo-reverbs, i go to altiverb for that.

the lack of separate early/late reflection control + early/late mix can also be a problem if you're picky.

give valhallaroom a shot - you might like it.

>give valhallaroom a shot - you might like it.
I'll try it once i regain my budget from buying Ableton, thanks

Thanks for the feedback. seems like it's pretty consistent that the ending seems abrupt. I've been making music recently that ends abruptly as a creative decision, yes to probably be immediately followed by another quick song. I also felt like I had exhausted all the directions I could have gone in that song without it dragging on lazily.

In terms of the mastering/making it louder, some advice would be good. I do really quick "masters" which really just involve compression of about 3db slower attack fast release and then limiting. I'm always timid to smash it with the limiter, and so I think they come out quiet. Anyone got an recs for mastering plugins for Logic?