What did you honestly disagree with him about regarding the prequels?

What did you honestly disagree with him about regarding the prequels?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/bYWAHuFbLoc?t=14m20s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What I can't understand is why they loved TFA? Mike is so precisely pointed out why the prquels were shit, then they fail to, or choos not to point out the same shit in TFA, yet they shit all over RO... Feel like they are selling out and being hackfrauds...

Off the top of my head is his dismissal of the opening of ROTS.

Just because there is CGI instead of practical effects that does not mean there is not just as much artistic development, camera work, and consideration of choreography.

This

youtu.be/bYWAHuFbLoc?t=14m20s
>14:20-15:33
Fuck him.

Digital SFX teams work just as hard as pratical SFX teams. Hell, they probably work even harder since they have less hands-on control with the sets/props they create.

I thought the opening scene of Episode III was actually pretty good, you'd have to be a brain-dead idiot to not be able to figure out which ships belonged to who.

It's called the "Phantom Menace" because there's a new unknown menace in the galaxy! Not hard!

It was still a long and boring and un-emotionally investing scene. It had as much impact as watching any generic space video game battle without the Star Wars(TM) tag attached. Action scenes are worthless if you don't develop the characters taking part in them and overly relying on them is the hallmark of poor direction.

He thinks cgi is always bad and even says he would prefer if it was done by talented people with models... even though for a space battle that would look like shit today and implys the people who make the cgi aren't talented or care about their work

>implying this takes talent or care
The CGI was shit, mate.

He was 100% correct

Of course conpared to modern standards it doesn't look so good but for the time it was fine

I have yet to meet anyone who genuinely thinks TFA was good. The most praise I've ever heard anyone give the movie irl was something along the lines of "it was okay" or an unconvincing "it was pretty good". I honestly believe that in a few years TFA will be recognized for how mediocre it really was; just like the prequels.

RO was indeed better than TFA but nothing spectacular. By and large more Star Wars fans and casual movie goers like it.

a little too much pointless nitpicking
focus on the glaring flaws, like the overall story not making sense, don't pick on the little flaws in the characters, it's fucking sci-fi afterall

Prequels were beyond mediocre dude.

even if it looked "fine" for the time it aged poorly very fast. Plus there was so much it made the real actors or practical effects stand out like crazy which made the movie look fake and lifeless.

the whole shit about context, about if the original trilogy didn't exist, this movie didn't exist. No shit, this movie was made specifically because the original trilogy exists.

>people believe this
it's shit thought like this that gives us boring blockbusters instead of well-constructed genre pieces, which are going more and more out of fashion.

Did he complain about context in the prequel reviews? I only remember that point coming up in the Rogue One review

>don't develop my characters, don't give me a cohesive story, j-just make more 'splosions on the screen! wow it's so dense!

I don't consider Star Wars Sci-fi when the plot is about wizards fighting with magic swords.

if your point is that it classifies as fantasy, then nitpicking is even less justified IMO

And that's the problem. It's not like the idea that CGI would improve greatly over time thus rendering current efforts to look dated wasn't understood at the time. But Lucas just dumped all his resources into it because he's a lazy hack.

And considering how far the tech is, they don't even stop to consider things like hyperspace or blasters or what not. Star Wars is really low tech compared to Star Trek, which has shot like the holodecks, replicators, instant healing, and they make a big deal out of all of it. Nobody needs to explain what the hyperdrive is, and the prime directive doesn't exist so they'll never need to.

The Plinkett review was more critical of TFA than Half in the Bag was. By then the hype had died down.

Lucas did the prequels too early, but the Catch-22 is that without his involvement, CGI for films wouldn't have sped up so fast. Where we currently are, well-animated CGI will probably never feel out of place or fake unless you have a keen eye.

they go out of their way to explain that shit in Trek explain that shit all the time.

to be fair, trek was a tv show so it had more time to meditate on minute details.

that being said, sw was never hard sci-fi, more space fantasy.

That's what I said, that's the difference between the two. Star Wars assumes all people already know what shit is, and the galaxy is rather lowtech, what's really all that science fictiony besides the hyperdrive, shields, and lightsabers? Trek spends entire episodes explaining the Bussard collectors or the food replicators.

Aside from blasters and kyber crystal powered death beams I can't really think of anything other than speeders maybe.. or AI droids

Where do you put CGI Tarkin in that spectrum

If you missed the character development in the opening of ROTS then you're a fucking toddler

If you enjoyed ROTS then you were a fucking toddler when it came out.

>you're a child
>no you're a child
top notch discourse Sup Forums

Droids, lightsabers, turbolasers, blasters, repulsorlift, hyperspace. That's mainly it, it's a very practical universe.

Trek has beaming, phasers, photon torpedos, disruptors, holodecks, replicators, time travel, alternate universes, and so on.

The lack of George Lucas in the new Star Wars movies has shown me that while he was shit at a lot of stuff, the series needs to keep him involved in order for it to feel like actual Star Wars movies.

No matter how you feel about him he adds three unique things.
>character design
>quotable lines
>imaginative new worlds

He may be shit at writing stories and characters, but the surface level things he build in always paid off.

He's like the autistic child looking into a snow globe but god damn it he's OUR autist.

The new worlds in Rogue One, other than Scarif, sucked so much. Jedha didn't need to be another fucking desert planet. Edau was okay, Wobani we know nothing about, and the first one is the same.