Ed Sheeran is actually really really good...

Ed Sheeran is actually really really good. If you don't like him you should probably take a good hard look at yourself and consider whether you don't like him just because he's popular. I know that kind of mindset is pretty common here.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wbKbT0CcqLI
youtube.com/watch?v=OPf0YbXqDm0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You're right. I was being a contrarian for no good reason. Thanks for keeping me honest man.

people only hate him because hes a chad

guy is talented. Just not something I regularly want to listen to

kys

i hate him because he exemplifies the principle of "image over substance" in the music industry

okay is mu really this retarded now? he is NOT good and it’s not “just because he’s popular hurr durr”

To all the hipsters in this thread and on this board:

I'm so sorry that you're so jaded that you can't even enjoy fun and poppy music like the rest of us over a billion people. You're really so smart and intellectual, congratulations.

>I'm open minded and follow my own tastes in music I hate popular artist
>I'm open minded and follow my own taste in music, I'm not afraid to like popular artist disliked in indie circles
This is just anti-contrarian for the same reasons contrarians are contrarian. His music is just decent generic mediocre stuff. If you liking/disliking it doesn't matter.

this is good pop

youtube.com/watch?v=wbKbT0CcqLI

dat nihilism tho

sing is a good song

youtube.com/watch?v=OPf0YbXqDm0

This song is damn near proof enough that people will hate popular music no matter how good it is

Sorry I dont like talentless hacks/industry plants.

>Us
Fuck off and speak for yourself.
Entitled faggot, for fuck's sakes. I listen to Ed Sheeran and everything but don't drag people into your little world. Jesus Christ dude.

like a lot of mainstream pop but can't stand that song, it feels like a parody of good funk

>good
>pop
unironically kill yourself

I don't like him because I listened to that one song by him everybody was talking about and it wasn't very good

this is bait but whatever:
>pop music is low-brow entertainment made only for the purposes of having "fun", as you've already implied
>good music is genuine, unapologetic self-expression that carries ideas and atmospheres that could never be expressed through any other medium

i'm sorry you're such a pleb that you can't open your mind to the numerous modes of artistic expression and instead have to rely on lowest-common-denominator trash to sonically decorate your time

>pop cannot be good
>the beach boys are pop
>the beach boys cannot be good
hm

pop makes money

i dont hate

This. I get it why people like him, I admire him for doing his own thing and writing his own material, but he is not my cup of tea.

the beach boys make boring and inoffensive music whose only gimmick or unique selling point are adventurous chord changes. you can call them "influential" but where do you hear their influence in the world of pop today?

Modern pop has gone down the shitter so much and is a completely different animal from what it was 50 years ago. Nothing on the level of something like Good Vibrations could ever reach #1 in today's world. I mean, have you even taken a look at the top 40 recently? Not a single good song on there. What the fuck went so wrong with people that taste has gotten so bad? At least Sup Forums has good taste.

idk i only heard that one song Shape of You and i couldnt get over how fucking bland it was
if you rec me something by him that's actually good then maybe i will change my mind

> says pop music is generally intended to be "fun"
>pop music is "made only for the purposes of having fun"
>music can be made with only one purpose???

user I think you've gone far enough.
You too

id like ed sheeran if i possessed a FUCKING VAGINA

le wrong generation

nice argument
nice argument

Vapid, trite sentimentalism with infantile arrangements and no distinct characteristics.

That "Thinking Out Loud' song, creepy and narcissistic as it is, earns him a castration.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but I was responding to 's lack of a distinction between say, modern pop and progressive pop like much of the Beach Boys' discog. For the sake of the argument, the wide differences in quality between different pop artists prove OP's argument is incorrect because it assumes any pop music is not good and fails to make such distinctions by artist or subgenre.

Beach Boy's magnum opus was built around simple, straightforward chord changes.

You people just like to hear yourself type.

keep crying fuckboi
This single song of his has more views than all of your favorite artist's songs combined. The people have spoken.

Can you explain why music made with the intent of being "fun" to listen to cannot also be made with the intent of being "genuine, unapologetic self-expression"? You imply that those two purposes are mutually exclusive but fail to justify this implied argument.

what do you mean by "you people"?

yeah, there's nothing straightforward or simple about the chord changes for God Only Knows.

shows what you know.

because making music fun to listen to requires you to think about what the listener would like to hear, rather than just expressing your own ideas without any consideration of anyone's opinion but your own.

>keep crying fuckboi

How is a basic critical evaluation crying? Yeah, a lot of stupid people exist, so what? Is Britney Spears and Justin Bieber the epitome of artistic expression now? Should I like it because people watched it a lot on Youtube?

You're a simpleton. I mean, you're a basic bitch troll, but a simpleton troll at that.

I don't listen to artists who designed their music to be consumed through Youtube. It' not designed to be consumed at all. It's not a commodity that subsides on its capitalistic branding to validate its expression.

>God Only Knows

Smile is their magnum opus, deliberately designed around the most basic chord progressions, supplemented by chromatics and inversions.

"The people" are literally the origin of the word pleb, you fucking retard.

Regardless of whether or not Pet Sounds' chord changes could be considered "adventurous", his main point is that the Beach Boys' critical acclaim is not solely based on the "gimmick" of such unique chord changes, which is therefore the point that should be debated if you're trying to contradict his actual argument.

I only listen to music that I actually enjoy and it turns out that I don't like Ed Sheeran's music. I don't try to appeal to a specific image either. I'm sorry if that upsets you OP.

watch out, a bunch of basic bitch trolls are gonna start greentexting you with variations of the decade old U MAD meme because they're escaping the reality of their life as a D+ middle school student.

That's an interesting idea, but it seems to me that by that view there is a continuum between solely making music to express one's own ideas and making music solely to appeal to listeners, and practically, there are very few artists who can truly be considered on one end or the other of such a spectrum.