Was SNL ever good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-izVXxwvtNM
nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/action-cats/n10236?snl=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

sure

Early 90s was peak.

Prove me wrong.

celebrity jeopardy was literally the only skit that didnt suck cock consistently

QFT

I watched reruns of SNL back when it was on Comedy Central and quite frankly the early 90's period was the best. So much talent packed in there.

SNL has always coasted on nostalgia and survivorship bias. People remember "that one great sketch with so-and-so" and not the fifty other terrible sketches, and this tricks them into thinking it's good. Then a ton of other cheap tricks are employed, most embarrassingly the live studio audience to get a laugh track going.

It's always shit. MadTV too.

How much pussy has Lorne Michaels got over the decades?

Only good Mad TV sketches:

Taco Bell
Kenny Roger's Jackass
Celebrity Pajama Party

I'll agree with you SNL was always shit but MADtv is patrician as fuck

Mr show was better

A long time ago, in galaxy far far away...

SNL was funny back when Sup Forums was good.

It was great and groundbreaking for it's time but now only a few sketches from various periods can stand the test of time.
Who can even recall anything from Laugh-in or Hee-Haw, beyond people popping out of windows or Minnie Pearl?
Tears in rain.

Yes

>Hee-Haw

How about Sha Na Na?

youtube.com/watch?v=-izVXxwvtNM

Only when based Norm McDonald and Larry David show up.

The Chris Farley years were golden.

It's a Kevin Roberts episode.
>Can a bitch get a donut?

Sha-na-na was pretty based growing up. 50's nostalgia was in full swing and Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, American Graffitti and M.A.S.H. were the top shows.
Everyone was trying to forget Vietnam and hippy culture.
Bowser must have got so much pussy, and the fat guy on sax.

Favorite member of the Five Timers club?

Mine's Tom Hanks.

The best way to describe it is that for every 1 good skit theres 5 bad ones, moreover even the hosts arent fun yeah larry david was funny as bernie but even with people like john cena i just couldnt bother with the effort to watch it. Plus the weekend update is garbage now not only is Michael Che not funny but hes a downright retard in some aspects plus the music guests are bad and the last one i remember is prince because he played for like 20 minutes

it peaked with Ferrell, Parnell, fallon, Katan, sherri o terry, dratch,

Only good cast

>Was SNL ever good?

For a couple of years in the late 80s / early 90s

Milton Berle took a liking to me and gravitated to me, I think because in the early seventies I had written all these jokes for Catskill comics. And I wrote jokes for a lot of the Friars Club roasts, where Uncle Miltie was usually the roastmaster. You played to people’s stereotypes with those jokes —Jack Benny was the cheap one and so on — and with Berle, all I had known was he wore a dress on TV and supposedly stole everybody’s jokes. And also I learned early on that he was the guy with the big dick, one of the biggest in show business. So I started writing big dick jokes about him for these Friars roasts.
Now fast forward a few years and I’m in Milton Berle’s dressing room at Saturday Night Live. He’s sitting on a couch behind a coffee table and he’s wearing a very short kind of bathrobe, the kind that comes down to about midthigh. And somehow I just say to him, “You know, it’s so weird that I’m here talking to you, because for years I was writing jokes about your dick.” I said, “I wrote all these jokes about your cock and now I’m talking to you — I feel like there’s some violation or something here.”

He says to me: “You mean you never saw it?” I said, “Uh, no, I don’t believe I did.” Then he said, “Well, would you like to?” And before I had a chance to say, “Not really” or “Can I think about it?” or whatever, he parts his bathrobe and he just takes out this — this anaconda. He lays it on the table and I’m looking into this thing, right? I’m looking into the head of Milton Berle’s dick. It was enormous. It was like a pepperoni. And he goes, “What do you think of the boy?” And I’m looking right at it and I go, “Oh, it’s really, really nice.”
At which point Gilda [Radner] opens the door to the dressing room. It’s like an I Love Lucy sketch, but this honestly happened! She opens the door to his dressing room just in time to see me looking into his dick saying, “Yeah, it’s really, really nice.”
I tell Milton, “I’ll talk to you later,” closed the door, and left.

Marvin Tikvah dude

Always a garbage uncomfy show that you still watch because you are not a good person

SNL is like Sup Forums. Everyone tells you it used to be funny but no one proves it.

David S Pumpkins is a bootleg Kevin Roberts

>weekend update is garbage now
fucking truth, god damn it sucks

Alec Baldwin is fantastic, not hot on his trump schtik tho. He fits well into SNL and 30 Rock.
>good god lemon

For about 20 minutes in the 70s and then again for about 7 minutes in the 90s. Otherwise it was gheh

Geez. Jane Curtin was fugly even when she was young. Laraine wasn't bad though.

four funny women and now they can't even find one
>muh fat loud black woman stereotype

Meh, I think Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Amy Poehler are funny enough. I still don't make 4 though.

this

>Sup Forums was never good
See, I'm le ye olde faggot too

Tbh no.
I'm sorry to burst the bubble of a the Americans here, but it is shit
Its typical american 'humor', doing dtupid sketches that are bot funny all.
In all the 100 yeara that it exists, tet not a single bit has made me laugh, and i laugh a lot.
Its kinda sad that Americans think that SNL is like the holy grail of comedy, because its not.
Tbh it is cringe inducing and im not even trying to meme here, i just dont have other words for it.
Sorry americans

many of the digital shorts were great

I can't help but read it in his voice. It's hilarious

90s Christopher Walken guest hosted episodes

I'm American and I know that SNL has always been shit. The silent majority agree, they just don't usually post in SNL threads.

>like the holy grail
What? like monty python? You got to cringe through 95% crap to get to 5% pure gold

Only funny thing coming out of America is your meme president, lol no one takes you serious anymore

SNL died with Hartman and Farley.

nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/action-cats/n10236?snl=1

The commercial parodies are good though.

even the golden years of the SNL had plenty of terrible sketches, the good ones were just brilliant and memorable.

This.

The Gen X cast were god tier for some reason.

Adam Sandler
Chris Farley
Chris Rock
David Spade
Norm McDonald
Phil Hartman
Mike Myers
Dana Carvey

Why was it so god tier/!!?

yeah, like 90/91 until 94/95 was funny because of those people you named