/lang/ - Language Learning

How the Fuck Do You Learn to Roll Your R's Edition

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Check the first few replies ITT for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides. /lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup
duolingo.com/
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
memrise.com/
lingvist.com/
clozemaster.com/languages
tatoeba.org/eng/
forvo.com
effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
lexicity.com/
cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
dliflc.edu/resources/products/
en.childrenslibrary.org
hellotalk.com/#en
italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
goethe-verlag.com/
languagetransfer.org/
babadum.com
context.reverso.net/translation/
youtube.com/watch?v=uMzM-s1ng7k
youtube.com/watch?v=NSfCDdTtBn0
youtube.com/watch?v=mrlycViTavE
youtube.com/watch?v=6o140Ni6yiM
youtube.com/watch?v=miZUE4oF9js
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mari_language
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

forvo.com
>Has pronunciation for lots of words in lots of languages

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
>Check out information about languages and their difficulties

lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages

cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
>A very extensive language learning collection for 90+ languages.

dliflc.edu/resources/products/
>Similar to FSI, drill-based courses with text and audio issued by the US government.These courses were made for millitary personel in mind unlike FSI.

en.childrenslibrary.org
>Lots of childrens books in various languages, categories 3-5yo, 6-9yo, 10-13yo.

hellotalk.com/#en
>The app is basically whatsapp, but only connects you with people who are native in the language you are trying to learn. It also has a facebook type section where you can share pics and stuff too.

italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
>Few more language exchange communities like Hellotalk:

goethe-verlag.com/
>A mostly free site which offers audio and drill like exercises for 40+ languages.

languagetransfer.org/
>A free resource with recordings to learn a language.

babadum.com
>Flash card game with a focus on vocabulary.

context.reverso.net/translation/
>A website like Tatoeba (also has a Firefox extension!)

So, /lang/, how's the learning going today?

Slower than normal.

>Finally fall for the memerise
>Pic related

Same. I didn't sleep too well last night so a bit foggy today. Hoping I wake up soon.

Memrise does have some "basically the same shit but not what we wanted lol" cards, thankfully they are rare.

How is persian? I'm thinking of learning it desu senpai.

>not posting all the pictures

Struggling with Spanish word order.

>He has already said it
ya lo ha dicho

..which in English word order is:
already it he has said

Okay, so fair enough, then this comes along:
>I've spoken to him
He hablado con él

Which is just like it would be in English:
I've (he) spoken (hablado) with (con) him (él).

fuck you lazy op nigger

making other people do your job

next time you better be not a lazy fuck

Is there anyone who has resources to learn napolitano? I've looked everywhere, even the Italian web but the most I could find was stuff on Sicilian

Did you unironically try reddit, especially the Italian learning sub?

Next time I just won't make a thread, considering you lazy fucks didn't bother and thirty minutes after I made it there are 6 posters so not like you aren't around. :^)

It didn't cross my mind. I'll check now

kys spic

Which spanish textbook should i get?

>How the Fuck Do You Learn to Roll Your R's Edition
ask you cat how to

>bartposting
uste si sabe pa

>>bartposting
>uste si sabe pa

No idea what you're talking about

how do I beat her?

>Try to speak French in-person to Francophones, but they switch to English as soon as they hear my accent
>Ask some French-speaking friends to practice with me, but they keep asking me to repeat hard to pronounce words like "grenouille" because "English accents are funny"

How am I meant to learn when they don't let me practice? Reeeee!

Find people who can't speak English. If you're in Quebec St. Michel or pie-IX no one can utter a proper sentence in English

If you want to roll your R's try this tongue twister:
O rato roeu a rolha da garrafa do rei da Russia.
Use google translator for prenoutiation.

Wouldn't it be easier to cut out the middle man and learn Somalian?

Thank you I will try it!

It's comfy, main hurdles are the differences between colloquial/spoken and the script.

I couldn't find any decent memrise courses for Persian so I'm just gonna do a textbook/anki gruesome twosome

I am so happy anons. After a month or so of seriously working on Russian I'm finally starting to understand some Russian comments here and there, as well as get the general idea of longer texts.

why would anyone learn t*rkish?

Happy for you user. I've about a month and a half into Spanish and starting to pickup on more. It's a good feeling. I'll be really struggling on some new content, and feeling defeated, but then I'll pickup something new listening on Periscope and be happy with myself.

how hard is to learn other romance languages for me?

It's fun
Not that hard.
See
youtube.com/watch?v=uMzM-s1ng7k
youtube.com/watch?v=NSfCDdTtBn0
youtube.com/watch?v=mrlycViTavE
youtube.com/watch?v=6o140Ni6yiM
youtube.com/watch?v=miZUE4oF9js

piss easy, you might struggle with french pronunciation but other than that you have a huge advantage from knowing spanish.

nıce language nıce food nIce qtıes

Yeah, the hardest part of Spanish by far is listening. Took years of Spanish in middle/high school and I can speak, read, and write it pretty well but when a native speaker opens their mouth I'm lost instantly lmao

>tfw blessed for those euro gains
>tfw cursed for asian gains

That's very disconcerting, I hope I'm able to overcome this.

I wonder when the best time to start watching movies is. I feel like now everything would be over my head so probably not worthwhile.

When is "when" cuando versus cuándo?

>he's nice enough to say that only some are spoken all around the world
>calls romanian one of the 5 most important romance lingos
what a nice guy

>going to finish Pimsleur 1 next week
>took me ~two months
>will take me nearly a year to get through all 5.

cuándo in an interjection, for example if someone says vamos al cine, you would say ¿Cuándo? in response. Cuando is for all other cases.

Thanks

Which language should I learn next /lang/ ?
> Portuguese : easiest to learn (I know three romance languages), biggest population, BRIC. Either Br-pt (apparently easier, bigger population) or Pt-pt (probably better in the EU)
> Dutch : official language in my country, useful in some jobs. I already studied it at school and it's close to English. Either Dutch or Flemish (I keep hearing conflicting opinions on mutual intelligibility)
> Norwegian : No good reason, just interested by the Scandinavian countries. Apparently rather easy, and makes other Scandi languages easier to learn.
> Japanese : No good reason, just interested by the culture, the country, the challenge. Also probably better to start young than in a decade after I've learnt the others.

>japanese : No good reason, just interested by the culture, the country, the challenge. Also probably better to start young than in a decade after I've learnt the others.
Be real, you wanna watch anime without subtitles

What do you speak now?

Actually I'm not a big fan of anime with its low framerate. I prefer Japanese kino.
French, Spanish, English, Italian, and learning Russian.

Dutch, since the better half of your country speaks it already.
As for mutual intelligibility, it's like US English vs British English, only some west-Flemish dialects are not understandable.

Be not one of those Walloons who refuse to speak Dutch.

Dutch, Norwegian, Portuguese, Japanese. Who cares if you start old, it's probably the least useful for you.

classical chinese is aesthetic

>tfw have more time to study but brain feels fried.

I really feel like picking up some obscure memelanguage. Should I do that or should I just stick with french?

French

>ya la ha visto?
>la ha visto ya?
These both say the same thing, but Pimsleur seems to have a preference for the later? Which is more natural?

Depends, what is the Meme language?

Both sound good to me

meme languages can be very fun, but can also be a real headache sometimes

Thanks, friend.

Is it better to learn 10 words and retain them?
Or learn 20-50 words all at once and only retain a few of them.

I've heard people say they would learn 100 words a day when learning a language. I'm guessing they didn't actually mean they would learn 100 words, more like they would throw 100 words at their brain and see what stuck.

I'd say stick in the middle. Learn what you can and keep the weaker words in a pile to repeat the next day.

When i learn a language i usually learn about 30-40 a day, but i tend to forget most of them. Then i repeat them the next day and i remember slightly more words, and i repeat that until i remember the words

Good job. But, I've heard that after you learn the grammar, the next thing you find out is that the vocabulary is endlessly massive and all foreign.

In my opinion it's best to 'see' as many words as possible. Also depends on the language. It'll be much harder to recognise Russian/Chinese than it will be for Romance languages.

What sort of meme language? Constructed ones like esperanto or a retardedly useless ones like Mari?

>retardedly useless ones like Mari
delet

Is the radio station holding up?

for the time being

Though I suspect that such problems as they recently had might not be a rare occurence.

You'll have your time, user. One day the Mari people will rise up and you'll be right there with them.

Isn't it Maori or are you guys talking about something else?

Is the duolingo portuguese for spanish speakers good? The languages are so close that I figure duolingo would be enough to understand portuguese if I already speak spanish.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mari_language

What's wrong with this one?

No, though come to think Maori does fall in a similar category.

How's the future looking for the Mari language anyway? Isn't Russia trying to stamp the language and culture out?

>Isn't Russia trying to stamp the language and culture out?
Not really

There's always some alleged reports of Mari university professors being pressued to resign and things like that, and so maybe you could argue that there's some pressure from the Russian government to keep the language "in check", but I'm not even sure how truthful those reports are. And for the most part, the Russian government is really not that bad with how it deals with minority languages (certainly not any worse than how the Canadian government deals with our abo languages).

If there's any danger of it ever dying, that danger would come first and foremost from Mari people who think that their language is "backwards" and/or who move to wealthier regions because their own region is comparitively poor.

As for how the future is looking, it's honestly really hard to tell. There's so many conflicting reports (all of them very anecdotal) about the state of the language. Some say that it's basically ded already, others say that it's doing very well, and everything in between. One of the problems is that, even if children are still taught the language, young adults are less likely to use it. And of course like the rest of Russia, Mari people have quite a demographic problem with population aging (especially when combined with emigration).

All of this being said, based on what I've seen on the internet (which admittedly doesn't mean much most likely) I think there's still plenty reason to be hopeful. But, at the same time, there's also plenty reason to be very cautious, if not outright worried.

Huh, I could have sworn there were reports of violence against Mari people for speaking out against the government's treatment of them. Didn't they shut down a major Mari theater a while back?

Events like that seem more to revolve around criticism of the Russian government rather than the language itself. In other words, events like pushing for professors to resign or shuting down a theater aren't because they're in Mari (after all, there's plenty of Mari language media and some theaters which still exist), but rather because they voice opposition to the government.

Of course, I'm not expert on the situation, so I could be wrong, but based on everything I've seen as of yet, I really am not under the impression that there's a concerted effort by the Russian government against the Mari language, or even the Mari people. But, there are some activists who think otherwise (including one Mari who was arrested after he published a book alleging that the Russian government is trying to undermine/Christianize the Mari native religion - but again, his arrest seems to have more to do with criticism of the government than with his actual religion).

What are some good spanish cartoons? Preferably funny shit.

to learn the Italian 'R' as a native English speaker try this:

say "budder" over and over again until your tongue hits the top of your mouth during the 'dd' sound. then try to isolate that motion and make it longer. try to use it in the word "roma", like '"droma", then cut the "d".

that's how i learned.

I'm scared of nastaliq

Also, the very second thing was حالِ شُما چِطور اَست؟
but they didn't mention the ast at the end.

Oh yeah, the spoken parts are very shit. I use it in combination with forvo mainly for words.

I get that, still seems a little suspect to me but you have a point. Its hard to tell if Russia's government is being a dick to everyone in the same amount or if they're signaling out certain populations.

On a less political note, I'm about a third of the way through the Duolingo lessons for Turkish. Would now be a good time to start with some textbooks? And are there any other web resources to use? I already follow a memrise course with the Duolingo vocab since they don't seem to have a proper section for it on their website.

>good spanish cartoons?
There's no such thing.

>What language are you learning?

None right now. Getting a job overseas ironically has led to me feeling too anxious to study.

How did you get a job overseas? College major/field? What country?

I'm just curious about studying/living/working abroad in Europe eventually

Can you recommend some good music in Persian? All I know currently is stuff by Mohsen Yeganeh.

Maybe look for some dubbed children's movies? My friend has a kid and some of the children's stuff now is pretty entertaining and has some adult undertones. Plus the language is easier to understand since it's written for a younger audience

I didn't get one yet, but I'm in the process of applying to teach chemistry or biology (my major) in China. I already have a few schools interested, but it's not an easy task to sort out the legit offers from the shady ones so far.

I'm not sure about Europe, but I'm pretty sure there are similar jobs, but they usually have higher requirements (e.g. being a licensed teacher in your own country).

Is there a good resource for learning how to use the Cyrillic keyboard? I type like a drunk donkey.

Just do it the hard way, it's frustrating at first, but the more you practice, the more comfortable you'll get.

The starting point for me was the letter "c", since this is the same on both keyboards. After just learn clusters of letters at a time, for example "e", "a" and "y" (I first remembered them by how many keys from the left they were) are a good place to start, then the "пpoл" cluster is a good followup, and so on.

Just force yourself to do it.

Has anyone read enough of a language to get a good grasp? I was thinking of buying a book in spanish and learn as I read.

Dont you have a stickers on your keyboard to help you? kek. But i am impressed that you trialed and error learned the keyboard.

>Has anyone read enough of a language to get a good grasp?
I did, but with /lat/.

However, I have a huge advantage in that I speak French, which makes it so much easier to understand written Spanish (though not as much as Italian).

>Dont you have a stickers on your keyboard to help you?
Nope, but when I first started I printed out the Russian keyboard layout and pinned it on my wall in front of my computer, which helped.

I'm still not quite as comfortable as I would like to be, but I'm getting there. Every now and then these days I'll surprise myself by being able to type a given word seemingly as fast as if it were written in Latin (but then there are other times when I get a random "block" and it can take me a good 5 seconds to get over it, especially with the letters м, и, т and н for whatever reason).

Yeah you're right, but I'm not starting right at the beginning with spanish thankfully. Do you find it better than learning tools from the internet?

I would like to do the same with Russian but I think I'll get too pissed off translating every word.

What made you want to learn Latin? Russian makes me just want to quit it kek, It feels like theres a massive wall when I start, my gf is the only thing supporting me up it ;_;

>Do you find it better than learning tools from the internet?
My way of learning Spanish was a bit unorthodox, in that I started out in a "normal" way (i.e. one year of shitty classes in high school). Then, once I had that bare minimum to string a few sentences together with shitty grammar and tons of gallicisms, I just started adding random Spanish speakers on MSN messenger (those were the days), after finding people willing to help in youtube comments sections. One of them in particular was a Mexican guy who had the most abysmal English I've ever seen for any person whatsoever, but he was also a really cool guy with whom I really enjoyed talking (he even sent me stuff IRL from his hometown). Eventually we lost touch, but then I found an Argie with whom I did the same (he spoke perfect English, which meant that he was actually able to explain many concepts to me). Eventually I lost touch with him as well, but then I started posting quite a bit in /lat/ several years ago (back when people unironically delfinposted) and that helped me practice as well.

Therefore, I can't fully answer your question, because I've never really used internet learning tools (except stuff like dictionaries). But I can tell you that there are certainly flaws in my method, for example my oral comprehension is completely and utterly abysmal. But, my reading comprehension is very good, and my ability to compose written text is acceptable I think.

>What made you want to learn Latin?
I'm not learning Latin, I meant the Latin alphabet.

It's not a cartoon, but everyone saw it as a kid and it's quite funny
El chavo del 8
I hear Brazilians have started to dub it