Mythological Creatures

Does your culture have mythological creatures in its folklore and is it represented in contemporary media?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=--o0O7tffdg
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champ_(folklore)
youtube.com/watch?v=f0w0629SlC8
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:English_legendary_creatures
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Babayaga
It is a male assassin from the russian folklore, who lives in America and likes dogs

Hiisi

Specifics of them change based on the storyteller, but generally some sort of scary trolls. This is why there is no agreed upon look for them and no general artwork available.

There are natural formations and even workings of ancient civilizations that could only be explains as the workings of hiisi, like hiidenkivi and hiidenkirnu and hiidenkiuas.

Then there is vetehinen, general waterbeing.

Elves, dwarves and trolls

There's this mythological creature called the "Straight Swede". Needless to say, it's too unrealistic for media.

We used to, before islam and christianity came

You guys really dislike the Danish, don't you?

Skinwalkers, Bigfoot, wendigo

Ironically I guess they have Stockholm syndrome for them these days and view the Swedes as oppressors in a friendly way

Golfu, Belliegħa, Imħalla, Babaw

Oh and Iku-Turso. Massive immortal walrus.

Hiisi apparently has an interesting history behind it. It used to be the word for pagan burial ground. Then it was worshipped as the collective spirit of the people buried at the burial ground. Then Christianity came and it become bad spirits. Then it took the form of trolls and what not in tales told to kids.

Hiisi also means the indigenous people in Häme who were there before Finns

Wildfold, primarily hot women that steal men who are then lost to the forest for ever.
We also have zmej/dragons that steal golden apples and women.

Interested to hear more about this. Go on user.

I know that feel.

>wildfold
I meant wildfolk, caмoдиви

yes we have some ancient ones from greeks

Zmey Gorynych
A flying fire breathing serpent. Kinda similar to the european dragon, only with 3 heads

Huh?

>Iku-Turso

Oh sure. I have a book of creatures from nordic folklore.

Of course Swedes only know anything about Finland through American comics

some famous ones are Scilla and Cariddi two sea monsters
the legend says that they should live here in the strait of Messina

shit man I learned of iku-turso from that comic

super minor character in finnish folklore

Any australian mythical creatures? Bullet dodging emu perhaps?

Islam and Christianity ruined paganism
fucking monotheism religions

Great tales replaced with desert filth.

What, do you expect each of us to own or own copy of Kalevala? I mean I do, but I don't know anyone else who does, either in Sweden or Finland.

Not exactly a mythological creature but here it is """"Quetzalcoatl"""" (the one at the right)

Forsake desert religions.
youtube.com/watch?v=--o0O7tffdg

and the actual Quetzalcoatl colorized mid 11th century

Why were the ancient mexicans such terrible painters?

T-tell me more.

there is a less know legend 2bh quite recent, during 1300 near Rome there was a cave called Malagrotta or Mala Grotta (it means the evil cave) where, as the legend says, there was an "evil" dragon who was killed during a crusade
today Malagrotta is a landfill and saddly there is no dragon

.t dragon

Mule-Without-Head
women whose fornicate with priests will become this moster

What about boys?

too thin for them. they dont understand.

because they did not attempt to be realistic, they got pretty ok once they knew the european painting though

This book has a chapter about hiisi, also lot of other interesting stuff. Highly recommend.

Iku-Turso (Tursas, Turisas) was also worshipped as a god of war by Tavastians

Disgusting loanshit from Germanic

kek
idk
this was for women willing to have sex with priests; the boys were forced to do so by a pedophile

Notmy fault they were located near Swedes and Suoms

>because they did not attempt to be realistic
that also led them to some pretty cool stuff

I dont know, Chernobyl mutants?

>that really fast one that jumps

Бългapия lol. Sazopol have cool beach. But very high price for arrival now.

let's have a Domovoy blyat

Hot.

this greek mythology.

Seaside has been booming since Turkey got a bad rep with terrorism and whatnot.
Prices probably reflect that.

Or rusalka. Which almost mermaid, but more like suicidal girl than spirit of the sea or seafolk.

Yes

Sirin and Alkonost? How are they Greek?

Ow0 what's that?

Dont listen this faggot. This's really domovoy.

They look like harpies imo and harpies are greek.
Is that like a home spirit/troll?

pic related is a "Nachtmahr" now you know where the english word "nightmare" is coming from. and btw if you have a wet dream it means you were raped by one while beeing asleep.

yes. He drink milk and eat black bread.
Sirin it's just greek Siren.

I don't think we have any
Or I have never heard of them

Engls and saxxyт were germans. Really. Where did the German words come from in English?

La Bête du Gévaudan
There is film with Vensan Cassel.

We have a few..

>Bergsrå
>Bysen
>Djävlar
>Gruvrå
>Hamnskiftare
>Havsfru
>Havsmannen
>Huldra
>Hyllemor
>Jerff
>Lyktgubbe
>Näcken
>Rådare
>Skeppsrå
>Skogsrå
>Sjörå
>Tomte
>Alver
>De osynliga
>Diser
>Dvärgar
>Häxor
>Jättar
>Svartalver
>Troll
>Vittror
>Vättar
>Älvor
>Draug
>Irrbloss
>Lyktgumma
>Mara
>Myling
>Nattramn
>Spöke
>Strandvaskare
>Bäckahästen
>Gloson
>Lindorm
>Storsjöodjuret
>Varulv
>Vitorm
>Bortbytingar
>Kyrkogrimmar
>Faustar
Just to list a few.

i don´t quite undestand you.
do you want me to explain where geman words come from in english or do you actually claim that you knew nachtmahrs are a thing?

pic related btw is a basilisk- they used to be popular althrogh europe, but especially in germany

Was gonna post but you beat me to it.
I have a book at home with like 450 something creatures present in Scandinavian folklore.

Did they unironically copy the plot from Warcraft?

FUCK YOU OP, YOU SPOILED IT FOR ME, I DIDN'T NEED TO SEE THAT!

But ok, what mythical creatures are we talking about here? Pic related is Mare. She would sit on you while you sleep and give you bad dreams, stems from norse mythology. The word for bad dreams in Norway stems from her "mareritt" in which "ritt" means riding. The English word nightmare stems from that word as well.

jes crist man. English nation come from germans tribes engl and saxon, of course them language have germans words. that all what i want say.

Is a dwarf that lives and protects mines of the Andes. Until now, miners give him a kind of payment for ask for his protection inside the mine, that consist in coca leaves, alcohol and cigarrettes

all series the game of trons are same. All they consist of guano and pain.

Wait, that's Game of Thrones? I honestly thought it was a new Marvel Thor movie or something. Good thing I stopped watching years ago.

And yet your ancestors were the primary driving force behind it.

Dragons. Obviously.

>supposedly kök-tengri was a white swan
>turkic had a vast pantheon with many deities
>first turk was son of a wolf and some women (similar to romulus brothers of roman empire)
>supposedly turkic people used to be afraid of lightning and thunder because it was wrath of kök-tengri

and some more hardcore shit.

No way. And i know only one a mythology being from Turk. It's Ahmed who fuck all white women, that such evil beast.

>mfw Islam somehow enforced our mythology and made things more interesting
We've got the usual djinns, demons, angels. And then we get into:
>Toyol
little green demons who follow their master's bidding; usually just steal money
>Pontianak
women who died out of an act of evil (murdered, raped, etc) comes back to haunt everyone. if she was raped or a single mom, she'd be carrying around her baby.
>Hantu galah
Really tall demon, that's it
>Hantu tetek
depicted as a grandma with massive tits, if your kids aren't back home by maghreb (dusk), she'll hide your kids under her tits
>Jenglot
small demons usually encased in a box, used for withcraft purposes. kinda like our own voodoo dolls.
>Langsuir
women who died due to an act of evil become vampires that kill people instead of drinking blood.
>Penanggal
disembodied head of a woman, depicted as a floating head with her organs dripping down below.

Everything except hantu tetek is pretty famous here in our movies, books, and sometimes music.

Krampus. He kidnaps bad children at christmas. Nowadays, in southern Germany and Austria, young people get drunk, wear a Krampus costume and terrorize the neighborhood.

It's just a big ass wolf

>hantu tetek
nice

Pakon

Belsnickel is still a thing in some PA German areas in PA. Kind of goofy, I'm not into costume stuff

We have the New Jersey Devil here in NJ which used to spook me as a kid. Had a really weird experience in the Pine Barrens a while back, someone on /out/ told me it was some particular sort of native American demon or something though, I don't recall wha he said it was

>Good thing I stopped watching years ago.
Very good thing. It is a horrible show.

It's had a direct-to-movie horror movie about it, an X-Files episode that was completely retired and shit all over any conception of it, and occasionally some pop culture message but it's usually pretty detached from the actual stories of it

The Pine Barrens are pretty damn eerie

Ogre
Gobelin
Fée
Lutin
Dame blanche
Feu follet

The Anglos basically stolen French mythology and claimed it as English

>Lake Champlain, New York-Vermont-Quebec
Champ
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champ_(folklore)

>Does your culture have mythological creatures

Plenty. Probably the greatest being Väinämöinen. The almost omnipotent demi-god that was born when the world was created and was left to roam it. He had infinite wisdom and could literally sing you in to the swamp.

youtube.com/watch?v=f0w0629SlC8

Also he was the direct inspiration to Tom Bombadil in Lotr and somewhat indirect influence on Gandalf.

Slovenes also have Krampus

Almost every creature from fantasy games has its roots in British folklore, which then has their roots in Norse/Germanic and Celtic folklore.

Not really, out natives we're stone age retards so their culture was pretty irrelevant and didn't impact society, with many of their myths being extremely recent, most other folk stories are either derivative of Spainish rural culture or Northern European myths with name changes, the flying Dutchman is probably the most well known folk story in Chile. With Pic related, an imp being the second one.

Our natives suck and our animals are not exotic or cool, so neither them or the Europeans could come out with cool myths.

My favorite folk story is about the pink dolphin from Brazil that transforms into a good looking guy and fucks virgins in the jungle.

they virtually fuck men to death

what about pishtako? and equeque?

But user, the beast was a lion.

also la bête du Gévaudan

Still less scary than niggers

this is a nuckelavee from the Orkney islands, its fucking horrifying

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:English_legendary_creatures
Interesting read, vut it makes me wonder why all cultures from all around the world with no contact with each other have similar monsters, maybe the bronze age collapse was caused by this?

no idea and no