Who is the Jimi Hendrix of saxophone players?

Who is the Jimi Hendrix of saxophone players?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kxopViU98Xo
youtube.com/watch?v=ZIqLJmlQQNM
youtube.com/watch?v=lZbahdBHv9E
blogs.kcrw.com/music/2016/11/paul-desmond-that-dry-martini-sound/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

maceo parker

A nigger

coltrane

Kenny G

'trane

youtube.com/watch?v=kxopViU98Xo

Jimi Hendrix wasn't THAT good.

Cannonball

wasisname...the guy that blows 2 at once

youtube.com/watch?v=ZIqLJmlQQNM

Charlie Parker

it's not about being good

It's about being a meme?

>Jimi Hendrix wasn't THAT good.

t. Rolling Stone magazine

It's about being influential, i.e. changing the way people view that instrument in music. To millions of people, Coltrane IS the saxaphone, jsut as Hendrix IS the guitar. Players who revolutionized their respective instruments.

Also, Hendrix is that good. Don't pretend.

Harry Carney

Wayne Shorter

if you're gonna say it like that, then a more apropos comparison would be charlie parker; he developed techniques and an entire style that everyone emulated, much like jimi with the guitar

The answer is Charlie Parker. Trane is my favourite jazz saxophonist and the revolutions he brought to jazz meant a paradigm shift in the entire music world.

But just like Jimi Hendrix for rock and overdriven electric guitar, Charlie Parker was the first saxophonist who explored his instrument in its entirety and was its most influential virtuoso.

>Also, Hendrix is that good. Don't pretend.
We could've agreed on that if he didn't die shortly before booked studio time for Miles' new album.

Hendrix was not that good. Gibbons was a way better guitarist from the same era. Hendrix was a revolutionary, but in terms of how good he was even in his time there were already better guitarists.

Johannes Ernst

Makes me sad to find out that could have happened

saxbros get in here, what model is your instrument, what have you been playing? You guys practice jazz or classical?
I've had a Buffet Senzo sax for about a year now absolutely love it, gonna start practicing some classical saxophone on it so that I can improve my technique

You know this is a pleb site when no mention of Michael Brecker. Congrats on Parker and Coltrane pimple faced fags. There is more!

Sax is a meme instrument

Selmer Sa II 80 Alto.
I think I once played on a Buffet. Tone was really mellow, I enjoyed it more than my Selmer.
I played classical for around 7 years during my youth yet I don't remember one single piece.
Which kind of mouth piece do you use ?

Yea it's really easy to bring out a warm tone with it, which makes playing classical pieces really nice.
It didnt come with a mouthpiece so I just got a standard C* Selmer mouthpiece, works great.
Are you using a Selmer mouthpiece for your Selmer?

Macintosh Plus

Jimi Hendrix was one of the greatest icons of the 1960s. His death in 1970 still stands as one of the crucial events in the history of rock music. His work may be less important, as too many of his albums were below average. Hendrix was, after all, one of the most exploited artists of all times (many more albums were released after his death than during his lifetime). Hendrix made only two amazing albums: the first and the third, Are You Experienced (1967) and Electric Ladyland (1968). His greatest achievement was to coin a new guitar style, a style that amounted to a declaration of war against western harmony. Born at the crossroad between Chicago's blues, Memphis soul and Charlie Christian's jazz improvisation, Hendrix's style was an excruciating torture of tonal music. A black man, Hendrix always used the blues as the basis for his improvisation, but then used the whole human body to play and distort the sound of the guitar. The guitar became a sacrificial total for an entire generation. A cosmic hymn such as Third Stone From The Sun was fueled towards higher dimensions by the heroic guitar workout. The blues agony of jams such as Voodoo Chile was pushed to new psychological levels by the endless guitar pyrotechnics. Tracks such as 1983 borrowed from free-jazz and avantgarde music to achieve a form of "sound painting". On the album Band Of Gypsys (1970) Hendrix was indulging in endless acrobatics. Hendrix's guitar opened new doors to experimental music. His lesson would be applied not only to guitar but also to keyboards and to whatever instrument would lead a rock song.
Hendrix's case as a guitarist is unique in the history of modern music: Hendrix leads the "polls" of critics worldwide, even among jazz critics. Such a unanimity does not exist for singers or drummers or keyboardists.
His legacy as a guitarist is comparable to Beethoven's legacy as a symphonist.

His music is really fucking terrible though. It sounds exactly like the jazz fusion-parodies that you hear in comedy shows.

Holy christ you people are seriously comparing Hendrix to guys like Parker and Coltrane? Seriously you need to learn something about jazz if not the basic history of music the 20th century. Hendrix is great but he's a fucking blues rock guitarist.

paul desmond

Paul Desmond worked on his sound far more than Jimi did. Jimi just didn't possess a great technique.
youtube.com/watch?v=lZbahdBHv9E
blogs.kcrw.com/music/2016/11/paul-desmond-that-dry-martini-sound/

>Hendrix's style was an excruciating torture of tonal music.
He's taking this way too far, especially considering bands like King Crimson, The Velvet Underground, The Mothers of Invetion, Captain Beefheart, Amon Düül II and Sonny Sharrock were his contemporaries.

>control+f 'colin stetson'
>phrase not found
fuck this board

Even jazz musicians recognized Hendrix as the very best guitarist of any genre.

albert ayler

And? What does that have to do with the innovations that Parker and Coltrane brought to music?

Well on one hand Coltrane completely expanded and reworked the harmonic foundations of jazz and developed a new vocabulary for Western music, but on the other Hendrix played the blues with lots of effects and made some cool sounds on the guitar so I can see why they're on the same level to most anons.

At this point, people would outright agree with you without thinking.

>Even jazz musicians recognized Hendrix as the very best guitarist of any genre.
Of any genre? I don't even have to ask for a source, this sounds ridiculous and improbable as it is.

I mean, Miles did want to work with him.

>Jazz
>good
pick one
there's a reason it's dead
literally mongoloid pseud music

Yea this is complete horseshit. Miles loved Hendrix and I'm sure a bunch of fusion guys dude but what an absurd statement to make.

There's dozens of Jazz Guitarists that blow Hendrix out of the water. Hendrix is good for rock, but it's such a simple genre it's not difficult to be skilled at playing in a rock band.

>I mean, Miles did want to work with him.
That doesn't mean he considered him "the best of all genres". Which is a ridiculous wording in general, forget the instrument he was playing.

You are probably referring to the genre of rock Jimi was playing. His contemporaries brought rock music to new heights and were far more sophisticated than blues rock, hard rock bands.

1/10
Have a sage.

John Zorn