Fuck it, this is a five

>fuck it, this is a five
>has 200 other fives in his rating

Why do they do this

My theory is that it's due to people rating albums one the same educational grading scale that they experienced. I mean you'll see people give letter grades to albums at the end of their reviews all the time They don't see a 5/10 as average because that's an F.

>it's ok
>gives it 1/10

>it's god tier, unsurpassed, transcendental
>2.5/5

>this is one of the worst albums I've ever heard in my entire life
>4/5 because I kinda liked the bridge in the third track

this sounds pretty accurate

>really didn't like this album at all
>3/5

Makes sense. It's a retarded thing to do, but then again, this is RYM we're talking.

>Rates an entire artists discography 0 or 1 even though you should probably know after the first album or two that it isn't for you.

>If you're expecting another positive review of this album you'll be disappointed
>3.5

i got an RYM in january and recently passed 100 ratings. is my curve skewed too far positive? i feel like the bell should peak at 2.5 or 3, but it doesn't make sense that i wouldn't look for new music that i wouldn't enjoy.

post your curves. is yours like mine?

fuckin forgot the picture i'm rarted

it's fine
you shouldn't think about your curve too much, honestly

Who cares. My curve looks like the eiffel tower on its side. I think a lot of stuff is a 3/5

Rating scores unless accompanied by a review are fucking cancer anyway. They're only good for getting a very general sense of what the "good" albums are.

>tfw I like mostly everything I listen to
feels good man

Nah senpai, it's pretty good all things considered.
Here's mine.

However I will say I'm more & more finding albums I don't like as much and filling out the bottom of my chart. However I tend to think it's because I'm running out of a backlog of stuff that REALLY seems up my alley, and instead just kind of stuff I think seems interesting is most of what's left.

It's extremely important to downvote the entire Rolling Stones discography to make a statement against rockism and toxic masculinity.

Don't care about my curve, but I'll post my ratings.

how the fuck is a 5/10 equivalent to an F?
grigofag here, don't really understand american school grading, but this got me really curious

It means you only got half right at most, which is considered failing.

>most schools use either a percentage based or a scale of 10
>americans use letters like some caveman
top kek

fuck this is really stupid, puts 0s and 5s on the same level and ignores that though both failed, one was still better than another?
is that it?

This is pretty much perfect to be honest. Your curve would ideally form a perfect bell shape centered on 3 or 2.5 if you listened to EVERY album in existence and rated them. But people search for albums that they think they will like and don't waste time on things they know are shit, so curves will pretty much always be skewed upward and centered a bit higher. Or at least that's what makes the most sense.

this. sure, my curve seems a little on the generous side, but i’ve been systematically reviewing a lot of albums that are bolded on RYM so it’s not like i’m giving the entire brokenCYDE discog “it was ok” 5/5s

this is by far the most retarded thing I've read today. The letter grade is based on a percentage scale

which makes it an extra step into overcomplication

>assigns arbitrary numerical ratings to albums/films
>thinks he has any right to judge others

well a 5/10 = 50%, which means you literally only know half the material you were taught.

This is sad. Just fucking enjoy music you twat.

an arbitrary percentage

because lets say you get a 50% on one exam and 100% on the next, thats an average of 75% which means you know 3/4 of the material you were taught. If you got a 0% on one exam and 100% on the next exam, that averages 50%, which means you don't know more than half the material you were taught.

but if I have a 0, it becomes an F, which averages at 50%, meaning that in the end it doesn't matter if I got 0 or 50, which is stupid

The percentage is an indicator of how much you know, the letter grade is an indication of whether or not your level of knowledge is satisfactory. Getting less than 60% all falls into the category of an " unacceptable level of knowledge for advancement." The system makes perfect sense.

you mean below 70

hey my ratings are purely objective

Tests that happen later in the curriculum are weighted more heavily for this reason. A lot of times in higher academia professors will waive or lower the weight of early bad test scores if students do really well on the final exam and prove they have relearned the material they previously did not.

I mean that's decent. I just fucking lose it when I see a five on someone with a curve resembling 60% fives - 40% anything else and pretend their fives have any meaning at all, to the point they HAVE to tell the world how they can't rate an album less than perfect score.

This is correct, I'm OP, but my ratings are only a categorization, not a score.

like this:
5: My absolute favorite albums
4.5: Second-tier favorites
4: Albums I like
3: Albums I can enjoy
2: Albums I don't enjoy
1: Albums I actively rally against

A 3 could be better than a 4, they're merely ways for me to categorize what I like so I can easily see it. My account is more a huge topster image than rating system.

youre probably mainly rating all the shit you know and love since its a new account