Just how big were these guys back during the peak of their fame?

Just how big were these guys back during the peak of their fame?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h_a_OFXw_kw
youtu.be/ZR0n5KZd5X0
youtube.com/watch?v=Vees5RWHXeo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Approximately this big

That big x2.

Not to mention like 2.6 million people attempted to purchase tickets for Knebworth

I don't think I'd ever seen an album as hyped as Be Here Now.

We were coming home from a holiday abroad the day it was released and I just wanted to get back asap so I could go buy the fucking album.

ok but what about outside of bongland

no one even cared. shit is only filtering down now.

that is why retard american teenagers seem to like it now.

One hit wonders.

Confirmed underage faggot. Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova were fucking huge in Burgerland. Every radio station spammed those two hits every day. Also Don't Look Back in Anger is still a fucking great song.

They were pretty popular in mainland Europe.

In the US they had a smaller cult following but they managed to fuck up every US tour they ever attempted.

In Britain definitely they were absolutely massive for a few years.

They're still pretty big. I heard Live Forever and Roll With It on the radios at work the other day.

Tfw no oasis reunion

They're idiots ladchads, it's best they not congregate in one place as to avoid overladdening.

How disappointed were you when you listened to it

To my uncritical 15 yo ears it was good, just not as good as Definitely Maybe or What's the Story. There was definitely still a nagging feeling of disappointment though, the same feeling I had with Blur's The Great Escape after being such a big fan of Parklife.

Biblical. As you were LGX

Big enough to chill everybody into buying their shitty follow-up

If Lian had killed himself then he would be Cobain tier now

I feel like it was kind of regional desu. In Boston, the alternative stations caught onto Oasis fairly early (like late '94) and they had a pretty devoted fanbase. It was one of the few places they were still selling out arena-level venues in America (outside NYC and LA obviously) during the latter part of their career, well over a decade removed from their peak.

But generally, as far as Oasis in the mainstream in America is concerned in general, their first appearance would have been with Live Forever being a big alt hit in early '95, crossing over pretty well to mainstream rock and some Top 40-leaning stations as well as MTV rotation. It was kind of a flash in the pan thing though, but it helped set the stage for the next album cycle that same year.

Basically Wonderwall became huge in late '95 on alternative radio and was #1 for months and then that crossed over big into the mainstream. And then the same thing with Champagne Supernova. And then almost the same thing with Don't Look Back in Anger but by that point Oasis was majorly going off the rails in America during their arena tour, which hurt their reputation.

But even so, they could have recovered at least somewhat, but their comeback single was nearly 8 minutes long pub rock. MTV and the alt stations played it in heavy rotation for about a month before ditching it because they realized how bad it was. Pop radio wouldn't even touch it. And then the album came out, and there was still a fair amount of hype that there was gold on the album (because Wonderwall was actually the third single from Morning Glory), but the album turned out to be a total disaster. "Don't Go Away" was supposed to be like the Wonderwall of the album and was a minor hit on MTV and pop radio, but the damage was already done.

They were the biggest band on the planet for a while.

bullshit

not an argument

eat me

they actually were 95-97, especially in europe where shit like pearl jam and phish was just a fringe phenomenon

Like football (soccer) and Queen, massive everywhere except Muttmerica.

But I'm fine with keeping Oasis for ourselves and you can keep "Dave Matthews" whoever who is.

Phish are extremely fringe outside specific music fans.
Pearl Jam were pretty big, but it was hooked into Nirvana. When Kurt died and grunge officially ended, interest faded pretty quickly.

Stand By Me was a pretty good song for the market they'd established, just really badly recorded in retrospect. Coke at work I'd imagine.

Don't Go Away too should have been a huge hit, but the production wasn't great (why so many fucking distorted guitar overdubs in a Bacharach-esque ballad???) and they didn't even bother to release it as a single in the UK

OASIS SONGS POWER RANKINGS:

1. ACQUIESCE
2. MORNING GLORY
3.SUPERSONIC
4.D'YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN?
5. LITTLE BY LITTLE

PROVE ME WRONG BITCH

Considering "Wonderwall" became one of those songs people overplayed on acoustic guitars (like "Good Riddance") i'd say pretty big.

Amerifat here. These are really the only Oasis songs I remember hearing when I was young, ranked in order, best to worst:

Live Forever
Don't Look Back in Anger
Champagne Supernova
Supersonic
Wonderwall
Morning Glory
Don't Go Away
D'You Know What I Mean
The Shock of the Lightning
Go Let it Out
All Around the World
Lyla

It's actually
1. Live Forever
2. Slide Away
3. Acquiesce
4. Champagne Supernova
5. The Masterplan

They were big in South America. I don't think they toured there until the late 90s and 00s when their status as a band had declined, but they were still selling out stadiums.

youtube.com/watch?v=h_a_OFXw_kw

Most underrated oasis song there is.

I think Noel has ever said they were just completely coked up during recording it and thought everything was brilliant.
It was only later he realised he'd fucked up.

Shame really. I mean their music never had good production to begin with but BHN era stuff just takes the cake

Fookin biblical

>interest faded pretty quickly
The people who arranged Roskilde Festival in 2000 also thought so. It ended in 9 people being crushed to death because of all the people who went to see them.
>D'You Know What I Mean
I MET MY MAKER I MADE HIM CRYYY
One of the biggest choruses ever.
Love the soft sunny sound on that track.

Yeah Pearl Jam were still big in 2000. Anyone remember Last Kiss?

>They're idiots ladchads, it's best they not congregate in one place as to avoid overladdening.

It's weird how Oasis' audience changed over night. In '96, you had millions of Brits - celebs, regular folk, men, women, boys, girls, mums, dads, grannys, indie snobs, pop kids, rockers, even black people too, all who either tried to get tickets, actually went to Knebworth, saw it on tv/radio. By 2000, they had fallen off significantly, but could still fill stadiums and festivals of 50,000+. But at this point, their audience had become almost exclusively 20 - 30 year old white lower class chavs (and their gfs who were dragged along to the show). Knebworth had 0 arrests the whole weekend despite the crowd size, the aftermath of this one Oasis gig in like fucking Tottenham in 2000 had like 30 arrests, people throwing bottles of piss at each other, fighting, groping women, and human excrement smeared all over one area.

What the hell happened?

>those were the years of pop rock
>tfw no alternative boy anymore listening to all those songs on the radio with my friends in early 2000's

Oasis were HUGE in South America, really fucking huge

>tfw no alternative boy anymore listening to all those songs on the radio with my friends in early 2000's
It always struck me how Oasis was one of the few 90s bands whose old hits still got plenty of airplay on alternative radio even into the 2000s. Aside from them it was maybe Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, RHCP...

Oh I definitely believe that those 00's alt pop rock bands were strongly influeced by 90's britpop bands such as oasis and the verve

youtu.be/ZR0n5KZd5X0

I mean the Killers for one

youtube.com/watch?v=Vees5RWHXeo

Over a decade after their peak, and there's a stadium full of people going fucking insane for an album track.

Damn, that song always makes me tear up.