What is causing the sudden and rapid decline of hip hop as a whole?

What is causing the sudden and rapid decline of hip hop as a whole?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-uW5NuD8O6Q
youtube.com/watch?v=TXoeFJZQIGc
youtube.com/watch?v=5souw4K5UQc
ericdingus.bandcamp.com/album/post-suicide-limerence
soundcloud.com/a679679679o/seventh-seal
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

copywrite as it pertains to sampling killed hip hop

barrier to entry became stupidly low and standards followed

there isn't much you can do with the genre that breaks new ground while still having mainstream appeal so everyone copies eachother and the genre stagnates

Hip hop is capitalism, and the logical conclusion of capitalism is absolute corruption

hip hop is literally better than it has ever been. Danny Brown, Eal Sweatshirt, Young Thug and Death Grips are all leagues better than Biggie and Tupac or whatever other old crap people venerate.

they came onto the scene almost a decade ago. there are no worthwhile up and comers.

media narrative of nigger culture being cooler and hipper than lame, pusillanimous whiteys

not true btw
youtube.com/watch?v=-uW5NuD8O6Q

a decade isn't a long time in music history, you can't expect a constant stream of memorable talent arbitrarily. also all those artists are still active and in their prime

Lmfao, good bait
This is the most right
Bad bait

brockhampton, jpegmafia, injury reserve?

Its just edginess taking new forms

I agree with this. But Hip-hop is running into a problem almost every genre has ran into in the last 5 years, and that is, where the hell are the icons? The music is better than the dusty shit that used to get put out, but it's missing that final step. Where are the Freddie Mercurys? Robert Plants? John Lennons? Really only Kanye West fits the bars, but he debuted in the 2000s, and Drake, while I do believe in insanely popular, I don't think fits the bills of being a noteworthy star other than he's just made a lot of hits. However though, once a genre is finally able to cultivate another Icon like figure, that genre will absolutely sweep on the world.

Because it's fucking trash. It's the most bland, uninspired, inessential, inadequate bullshit I've heard in a long time.

>muh black excellence
The reality is, black people aren't excellent. They aren't wise. They are deeply alienated from themselves and from life. That's why they always fall short and need to blame everyone but themselves for their failure to adapt.

>muh kendrick
Kendrick is a mumbling schizophrenic retard who hasn't made an original song in five years. He repeats and repeats his same bullshit over and over.

Really, I don't even give a fuck about being called racist anymore. It's obvious that white and asian culture are vastly intellectually, spiritually, and materially superior to black and brown cultures. They objectively cannot compete, and it's why all the affirmative action and diversity even exists in the first place. It's just a fucking fact, and the failure to accept it is what allows these moronic artists to make such pathetically inadequate music and then expect to be celebrated.

I think we're witnessing what rock music went through through after grunge died out. There was post-grunge, but also an exciting creative period of remix culture where Beck and Radiohead and the other major rock artists started drawing from across genre lines and creating bizarre but accessible art that challenged the way we approached pop music

In hip hop there is some revivalist classicism (90s hip hop appreciation equivalent to The Strokes-garage rock revivalism) before everything finally splinters into niche subgenres.

I believe Death Grips will remain the single most significant and entertaining hip hop artist of our times

>Planted Faggots
>Edgy okay nigger, tries to hard to be different
>Faggots

Uhhh yeah, this is a discussion on hip-hop, not your stupid nigger theories. Back to the dungeon with you >>>/pol

>a decade isn't a long time in music history

>best rap album in awhile was made by a british man
heh youtube.com/watch?v=TXoeFJZQIGc

Other genres took over. Trap n' mumble rap is where it's at.

valuable opinion

you are deluded. Kanye isn't an icon because of his musical talent. Death Grips are icons. You just are expecting the kind of overblown hype that was created by the industry before the internet existed and changed the industry. Kanye and Drake are still in the old industry model so you think they are icons because companies pushed that on you, where as anyone with taste who is paying attention recognizes Death Grips as the biggest icons right now. If Death Grips wanted to don't you think they could be on tv and going to award shows and being in the media and being an 'icon' like kanye? They just don't because they are above that bullshit. If you were having this conversation about rock music you could argue maybe that there isn't anyone leading the narrative anymore, but in hip hop it's clearly Death Grips.

same problem it's always had

image > substance

also these

See, this is exactly what this world has turned into. People like you are just so brainwashed by PC/liberal culture that you fail to understand the simplest of reality. What value do you even place on African Americans that you want to take care or protect them? They don't have hidden talents or potential to reshape the world. Out of the entirety of African American history, there has seldom been any African Americans that have created, invented or innovated anything beneficial to human society. Even Jazz/Blues and R&B heavily derive from Classical and Folk music. What do you even see in such a mediocre race that's failed constantly to distinguish themselves as a race worthy of respect?

>death grips are icons

You don't get what I'm saying.

No one gives a shit what Zach Hill, MC Ride, or any of them have to say. They have not been able to penetrate the worldwide scale yet, they have been unable to be influential outside of the underground, and if you really think Death Grips are running hip-hop, you are the biggest fucking fool.

>Uhh bloo bloo, this is what the world isn ow :(((( niggers just ruin everything wahhhh, a nigger, came into my house, fucked my white asshole wide open and now the nigger is going to rape me everyday of my life... the nigger has no talent :(((, but i have the talent nigger don't have... because i don't listen to the hop... i don't have to respect the nigger... the nigger do nuffin..... they are nigger... not worthy of respect...

Uh huh bud, lay off the redpills, they kind of make you sound like a faggot.

Decline? Are you guys deaf? It's the most popular it has ever been. The genre's topping out in most places. Quite amazing, I really thought electronic dance music would've topped it because EDM has so much more wiggle room to make music a certain way, but it's still hip hop.

>they have been unable to be influential outside of the underground,
wrong, see yeezus, inb4 ye never heard of death grips see common sense

>No one gives a shit what Zach Hill, MC Ride, or any of them have to say.
also wrong, you just think that because they don't say much for people to talk about because they are above the petty extra-musical bullshit you fetishize.

>They have not been able to penetrate the worldwide scale yet
also objectively wrong

>and if you really think Death Grips are running hip-hop,
it's hilarious you think someone 'running hip hop' has any bearing on what constitutes a musical icon

HOLY SHIT I posted this about a month ago, I can't believe this is actually a copypasta now.

I hope this gets posted in every single rap thread from now on.

when you read a buzzfeed article that hurts your feelings

Hip hop was only good for a brief period of time in the 90s, it was a flash in the pan. It sucked before then and has sucked since, it's just gotten so bad now that it's become unbearable

maybe because dindus talking over repetitive music is something you can only milk for a while before it gets old

NO NO NO

The most popular rap songs are godawful shit like Cardi B singles. No actual rap fans find that to be a good development.

It's funny you think people know who MC Ride is that aren't on this board.

Also Yeezus was influenced my Gesaffelstein and french house more than death grips, another sad attempt that Sup Forums had on connecting the influence of the artist.

And yes, part of being an icon is being talked about you dumb cunt. Do you think Freddie Mercury is known by his name because he just made music? Or was it because he also had equally eccentric personality that absolutely dominated entertainment. Do you think Kurt Cobain was known because he just made Nirvana? Or because he had a attitude?

Death Grips has been trash since TMS, sorry my dude.

>sudden

Underage

TOO MANY HOES IN MY MOTHERFUCKIN MEAL

It became too dishonest and an unintentional parody of itself. The kind of on-the-nose parody that's not even funny, like when The Family Circus tries to make a joke.

I can settle this.
DG has not been able to hit a mainstream channel yet. While they are popular and pretty mainstream amongst Sup Forums and 20% of the incel infested boards on Reddit, that's pretty much it. You'll never hear Hustle Bones on 92.5. Birds never made it into the Billboard's Top 100 list. The next DG album will not have large lines standing outside of record stores waiting for it to drop so they can officially purchase it from the store (this never really happens these days anyway with digital media having taken over). They do not have the ability to run hip-hop. Although, they are icons to the people that know about them and several big name artists know about them and have taken inspiration, like how Kanye took inspiration from No Love Deep Web for Yeezus. David Bowie called them the future of music when Exmilitary dropped. If they were as mainstream as most other hip-hop artists, they would for sure run hip-hop, but they do not currently have the ability to do so given them not being as popular as they could be.

yawn

Doesn't mean the genre's dead.

>Also Yeezus was influenced my Gesaffelstein and french house more than death grips
you are a serious retard if you believe that. The biggest proof that he was influenced was that he denied ever hearing the group at the time which if you believe that you are completely retarded.

>It's funny you think people know who MC Ride is that aren't on this board
it's hilarious you don't see how objectively wrong that is

>And yes, part of being an icon is being talked about you dumb cunt. Do you think Freddie Mercury is known by his name because he just made music? Or was it because he also had equally eccentric personality that absolutely dominated entertainment. Do you think Kurt Cobain was known because he just made Nirvana? Or because he had a attitude?
You seriously don't even care about music at this point. You think we have a lack of icons because we don't have any famous people, which we do. You are talking about people being famous because a company turned them into a product, it has nothing to do with being a musical icon or the quality of current hip hop music. You just don't recognize that talent today doesn't have to sellout because the internet exists and they can exist in a different system. The reason Death Grips isn't the kind of famous you are talking about is because they didnt sellout to a company that pushed them down everyone's throats like the rest of the 'icons' you are talking about. It has fuck all to do with their talent or quality of music, things that to a discerning person qualify them as icons.

>Death Grips has been trash since TMS, sorry my dude.
Im not gonna argue anymore there's no hope for your pleb dumbass.

See, again! Nice job strawmanning my arguments and distorting them to make me look like a racist. Funny thing is, I haven't once used the N word on my comment, or even the copypasta I reposted, and I have never once used Sup Forums at all. Not only that, but literally none of those things ever happened to me at all. Stop making me look like I'm a butthurt individual in a pathetic attempt at defending a race you most likely have no relation to.

Proof? Post a screenshot of the comment.

>They do not have the ability to run hip-hop.
wtf do you retard fucking mean "run hip hop?" that is the most meaningless fucking phrase you sound so retarded.
Death Grips aren't that popular becuase they don't want to be prostitutes, it has nothing to do with their ability. They aren't going to go on tv to promote their album and give superfluous interviews. they are above it. Don't you think there are tons of companies that would loved to have promoted the shit out of death grips to the point they were household names and make money hand over fist? the fact is death grips just didnt want to sellout.

It's clearly dying. I guess if you're a 12-year-old suburban kid who thinks that 6ix9ine or something is the best thing you've ever heard, then rap is doing well. But otherwise...

>Death Grips aren't that popular becuase they don't want to be prostitutes,
The only reason they became a meme is because of racism. OMG LOL BLACK GUY TRYING TO DO HARDCORE MUSIC. They arent even as noisey as people make them out to be. Im sure live on monitors it all comes together. But honeslty their recordings are kind of bland.

all you faggots who meme'd up "hip hop is the new rock"

DANNY BROWN VS RAKIM
EARL SWEATSHIRT VS ZEV LOVE X
YOUNG THUG VS KOOL G RAP
DEATH GRIPS VS PUBLIC ENEMY

YOU ARE WRONG

FUCK YOUR PARENTS

WHO ARE YOU? THIS SHIT IS NOT BAD. FUCK THIS BOARD.

>not even mentioning Kendrick

GTFOH YOU FUCKING HIP HOP TOURIST

what book?

hip hop has been on the decline since 1994-5. It took a huge drop in the middle of the 00s and has since gotten even worse.

the problem with hip hop is obvious to anybody that actually makes music

the more interesting and dynamic that the beat is, the harder it is to rap over. mumble rappers traded lyrical precision for melody. there is really interesting instrumental hip hop on soundcloud that is downright symphonic, but none of you will ever appreciate it unless its memeable. thats all it is.

Ever since Bones brought emo/metal and moshpits to rapshows it got too big to handle lmao.
youtube.com/watch?v=5souw4K5UQc
before this vid no one moshed at rap shows, excep back when black people went to rap shows. Now its all whitebois

Im working on a waifu hip-hop ep
once this shit drops the scene will change completely
you have been warned

Hair dye and Xanax.

lyricism rap is now "stay woke! fck the police!"

entertainment rap is now "smok lsd, do drogs, gang gang"

experimental rap is all we have left, but that's being taken over by tumblr fags as we speak

phonemenomicon

xenoestorgen rappers are fucking gay now

this is better

ericdingus.bandcamp.com/album/post-suicide-limerence

this is absolute trash
>le rattlesnaking hi hats
fuck off

im trying to make all of my own music soundcloud.com/a679679679o/seventh-seal give it a listen its not that fake hyped up industry plant hollywood bullshit

yes you've figured out one minor aspect of the music

this eric dingus guy is actually cool i want to work with him

i mean its difficult and a fucking headache to create everything but i hit a brick wall tyring to build a following

i don't really know how to help you there. i'd try to keep working and make sure that you have a decent youtube presence. learn how to edit videos or get on a channel that has something to look at

soy is good?

>you've figured out one minor aspect of the music
no I pointed out the major aspect taking away from the overall feel of the music
why did you even reply to me, are you fucking retarded or something? I don't care who you want to work with

pretty sure he was saying that guy is good

Millennials, unironically.

I'm serious. What other generation had pop music as vapid and uninspired as this one? I know it's cliche to say music was better in the good old days but it really was, at least in terms of what is actually successful and revered by the public.
I'm telling you, kids these days are outright fucking retarded.

Nice Pasta.

Basically everything Viper seems to be doing as a joke.

Its a psy-op by the Israeli's since black culture got too big, so they want to shut it down and move onto the next thing.

Probably asian or arab music