Mfw most americans can't convert miles into inches in their head

>mfw most americans can't convert miles into inches in their head

Other urls found in this thread:

edition.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric/
youtube.com/watch?v=cimgIhtN-AU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

can Kiwis convert kilometers to milometers in their head?

You'd have to be retarded not to be able to do that, it's the whole point to the metric system

>milometer
oh and although the imperial system is objectively better, its not hard multiplying by tens

>objectively better
>scientists have discarded its use

True story: in my final for some experimental physics course the professor had to write the conversion of feet to inches on the board because all the Chinese students had to ask him for it.

That's the annoying part but it just feels so much better.

mate.. a mile would take this formula just to figure out...

y(1000)=x(12)=a

It's fucking retarded to be able do that in your head

you'd die even if it was 200 kelvin haha

Why would you use imperial for physics? that's retarded as in

edition.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric/

Science isn't about "feels" you know

5280 feet in a mile, 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard remember it once and you're done.

yeah but can you calculate what how many feet 1.65 mile equals to in your head?

jesus i didn't know it was that retarded

yeah lmao I still do my physics in metric but whenever I'm talking to foreigners I make a point of saying stuff like "oh the the garden is about 2 yards and a few inches long, and it's just a mile and a half away from my home, and it's really nice when it's about 70 degrees out", both to confuse them, and because imperial is better for describing everyday life as the units of measurements were designed as such where as metric is just so you can divide and multiply easily.

I mean we have the perfect setup here. Metric for serious science and math, and imperial for everyday stuff.

Not in a timely fashion, and I'll never need to. That sort of stuff doesn't come up in daily conversation. I only need to do obscure conversions like that on tests or in a work related setting or in cooking, all of which I can just write down and calculate.

20 ounces in a pint 2 pints in a quart, 4 quarts in a gallon.

16 ounces in a pound

It gets worse

Nothing more pleb than people who don't understand how imperial works

43560 square feet in an acre
27878400 square feet to a square mile
640 acres to a square mile

I've never understood how people fall for the "it was designed for x". Whether or not it was designed for every day use doesn't matter. What matters if it actually is, which very difficult to determine. However, considering that most of the world manage without the imperial system I think it's at the verry least accurate to say that the metric system is adequate for every day use. Which renders the whole question of which is "better" (whatever that means) meaningless or at best of marginal importance.

That's subjective, I can say my garden is a little over 2 meters long just as easy, or that it's just a km away, or that it's really nice when it's over 20 degrees celsius. And 90% of the people in the planet will understand without any intermediate mental gymnastics.

And it's a system I can relate to real things, I know 1 liter of water weighs 1 kilo, I can use just a fucking standard bottle of water to visualize both. I know I risk frostbite, not just hypothermia, at 0 degrees celsius.

So it's arguably the same for everyday stuff except the math is straightforward and ridiculously easy.

Name one scenario where you would ever convert kilometers to centimeters or miles to inches.

In case your teacher comes in the middle of the night and tells you to do it. Same for multiplication table.

I know this is point, but:

>0•C = freezing point of water at sea level
>100•C = boiling point of water at sea level

>at sea level
It doesn't fucking change at different altitudes you retarded ass frog.

Can I screencap your post for the next time I need to prove americans as scientifically inept?

Never talk again please

Freedumb strikes again.

>(You)

Celsius is the only metric measurement that's useful in daily life and it's offset by how broad the increments are

>

hahaha

>American makes retarded comment
>no more Americans post on the thread afterwards
I feel bad for the non glue eating Americans now, having to share a board with this kind of people

Having two measurement systems for the same thing is dumb, even more so considering that you can't quickly jump between imp/metric if needed.

MUH FEELS

>8 years here
>i don't even laugh at you people anymore. I am just scared because my country wants to copy your educational system.

Here, watch this.
youtube.com/watch?v=cimgIhtN-AU

You probably grew up in imperial, no? that's nothing stopping you from visualising things in meters, know the approximate weight of something in kg etc.

As long as you don't write your dates as mm/dd/yyyy, it's fine.

we should adopt the yyyy/mm/dd system tbqh

>Having two measurement systems for the same thing is dumb
The entire world still uses inches in mechanics.

The metric system was created for a reason. Every European nation had his own imperial system. And that sucks (the Napoleon size is a example of miss understudying caused by two different imperial systems).
After all europe adopted the metric system, America keep the British imperial system because there was no other imperial system to cause confusion.
Sure the metric system is easier to convert and do physics math. But for ordinary people, the imperial system is way better. You don't need to measure things, you can simple look at it and know what is the size.

Also, Americans scientists use metric system as well.

When I studied nursing I had to convert units to calculate the dose of medicine people needed.

But I imagine that you need to do it in engineering as well.

Maps.

Ameribear strikes again I see

Don't do this to America, they already have a lot of pseudo science problems.

Literally a map.
And, oh surprise, your very own army uses metric too.

That's not really smart if you live in the country where people read from left to right.

It does make sorting documents easier.

eh, its probably because im studying programming that it seems better for me

if you need to read through something like a journal, you can just read the day part and skip years. It's a small difference, but on the large scale it's a good thing to do.

If you start with the year then a higher number is a more recent date.

>not using epoch
1502974418 seconds since the end of the white supremacy and start of the destruction of the civilization.

Year is less likely to change. So then you read something structured by date you will be forced to read same numbers again, again and again.
In programming it doesn't really matter, because dates is not stored like that anyway.

t. obviously not a Russian hacker

dates are one of the more annoying aspects of more than one programming language

No, it's not.
Just convert to epoch (UNIX timestamps) and work around. It's really easy, even in low level languages.

Uh oh