Seriously though, opinions?

Seriously though, opinions?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Nbue2Pi2tNY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Meme shit

Why?

Good. Soundtrack has grown on me. Still don't like that first bit though, i feel like they just put that in cause "Dude Musicals start with a song LMAO" even tho it didn't really fit

thisdavis

It was well acted and directed. The music was great, too. But I walked out thinking it shouldn't have been a movie of the year nom. I only started caring about the story/characters in the last 15 mi utes, when there was some actual drama.

I fucking loved Whiplash though.

Whiplash was good shit. thought lalala ending was abit sad for the sake of it, even though they both got what they wanted, hate to be hollywood happy ending cuck but like it would have rounded it off better

first song was cool but yeah there weren't any other big numbers in the film with huge ensembles so it felt out of place

Damien Chazelle should drop his composer buddy like he did with Miles Teller. He's mediocre and his movies would be much better with an actually talented musician.

Best of 2016 easily. Thank god we now have a director who's so comfortable working with music and rhythm.

songs were a tad over the top on the cheese

>you expect me to risk having a coherent opinion about any topic? haha bro im a centrist

this

a glib facsimile

This its shit and emma stone can't act or sing. Plus she's hideous

i loved it start to fucking finish.

i loved the aesthetic, i loved the chemistry between the two leads, i loved the weird modern day/20's/60's setting, i loved the music, i loved the themes.

the only negative bits were the start was a little jarring and the weird bit where they dance in the stars was unnecessary. other than that fucking fab, and you can all fuck off.

opinion on the ending?

they can't sing

Typical third act derailment. But that's the movie. The fact that behind the happy ending tap-dancing in the street Hollywood, it's just sadness and what could have beens behind it.

i liked it. i felt the whole film was tinged with sadness, really. i felt it was set out of time, like when seb's on stage in that big gig and he starts playing the synth, which clearly isn't jazz, but it's the modern world encroaching on what he loves. which is basically the film.

they both end up happy, but they couldn't have the dream and each other. quite good, i thought. would have been nice to have had it a happy ending, but that would have been a cop-out.

Like Whiplash it's a movie with a pretty weak script held up and supported by the actors. The film was peppered with conflicts that didn't need to exist other than by the hand of an invisible screenwriter God to give the movie a dramatic bent (Seb not quitting the band to start a club, Seb and Mia breaking up, both of them achieving their highly improbable dreams). The musical numbers were pretty good but are not really memorable. The first act is good and I lived the ending number but everything in-between is pretty bad. I did like the Goose and Emma Stone and think they had great chemistry buy neither really turned in an awards worth performance.

Highly overrated but it's a good movie.

This.

youtube.com/watch?v=Nbue2Pi2tNY

garbage

quit shilling this on Sup Forums

hi damien

Fucking loved it.

Fantastic movie, the ending montage was so beautiful.

my opinion
pic related

First act took way too long which led to a jumbled hurried third act. The dinner she walks out of with the dude she was dating was the least necessary scene in film history.

I was compelled start to finish tho. Great watch, decent film.

>Dude she was dating

Pretty sure it was her husband my man

he means the initial bloke, greg, with his boring fucking brother

sorry chaps, you're not allowed to enjoy it because ryan gosling and emma stone are white. the lengths to which these people will go boggles my fucking mind.

For such a story-driven film the story here was weirdly cliche, it essentially happens exactly the way you expect it to happen. That's dissapointing. I was hoping one of them fails, that would create an interesting dynamic. Instead it went completely middle of the road. Oh well, it's still okay, but it does feel fake. I would even go so far as to call it dishonest.

Why was he bitching about playing I Ran? That's legitimately one of the best songs ever created.

It served as an introduction to the city and let us know immediately it would not be like all the other LA AYO WE GON STAB YOU ESE movies. Not to mention it's fantastic. Spectacular.

The people who hate it are already dead inside.

>The people who hate it are already dead inside.
This should be added in this image

doesn't matter, it will sweep the oscars.

>Implying Oscars mean anything

What were the character arcs here? Two people have dreams and work towards them, they achieve those dreams, the end. C-cool s-story... Would be much more interesting if bean actually became a musician in a band, dropped his weird jazz obsession and learned to enjoy music in a variety of forms. Emma should've stayed home because what are the chances that someone like current year Emma actually becomes an actress, come on now. She's not 20 anymore, it's dishonest. Her arc should be about Emma admiting she's a failure and learning to enjoy simple things in life. That would've been an interesting movie.

I liked it a lot. The treatment of light and colour was lovely, and the songs were great - they never felt forced.

Not flawless, tho.

Emma Stone is too boney and angular to look completely comfortable dancing, and Ryan's voice wasn't quite up to it. When John Legend pops up, I was "Yeah, this is the vocal level this movie needs."

The ending felt a bit of a cop out, like the director wants to have his cake and eat it - it left me feeling a bit cheated, desu.

It felt a little lightweight, but it was great feelgood stuff. It'll win all the awards. Hollywood loves films that love Hollywood.

was a decent film. not sure if it deserves all the awards it's gotten - and most likely will get - because i haven't seen the other contenders.

Genuinely hate musicals. Genuinely enjoyed this, though.

>musical
>2 hours
>4 songs

I need glasses because seeing the OP image in the catalogue made me think the poster read as "FAMALAM"

where was the chemistry too. I tried watching it and emma stone was to fugly for me to give a shit and gosling wasn't believable as this character.

Honestly, kinda wish there were more song and dance numbers, I really enjoyed the tap dancing after the party, and the final big one at the end.

>but they couldn't have the dream and each other.
But they could have. If they stayed together just a few more weeks after the dinner scene, Emma was still going to do that one girl show and get spotted by the scout and the whole "alternate ending" would have been a reality

Its good but it didn't need to be a ""musical""

>a man who looks like human bean can't find love
Am I supposed to feel sympathetic or something? Why would an average Joe go "poor Gosling, he won't ever find love".

It needed to be more musical because that was the only thing it had going for it

This. The first third of the movie was "musical", then the second third of the movie seemed to forget it was a musical and was just a regular drama

This film was literally just Whiplash again. One more movie like this and he goes on the hack directors list.

I started out think it was clearly well made, but seemed like a self-congratulatory wank by hollywood over its history. But as the story progressed I started realising it was something more. And then it started hitting way too close to home and now I don't know. You have to be a contrarian fuck to deny its brilliant production. But perhaps it relies too much on throwbacks to classic moments in old hollywood films

It hits close to home because I'm in a long-term relationship that has to end in a few months, and the final scenes just seemed like a prediction of how I'll feel in 5 years time. So I don't know how I really feel about the film itself

this

>I'm Ryan Gosling

lol. Just don't end it then retard. Americans think LDRs don't work for no reason at all.

Because when he ran out after being fired and pushed her. Kinda saying he was a baby and ran.

I don't think I'm Ryan Gosling, just the structure of the relationship based on "dreamers"
long distance relationships don't work and I don't want to try and force one

>long distance relationships don't work and I don't want to try and force one
Not with that attitude. I've been in one for 3 years and we're getting married

why dont you just kill yourself? or break up now and get the misery out the way

>marrying transexual from the internet

this is how you get cucked

It's got nothing on Jacques Rivette's "Up Down Fragile"

It laid down the themes for the whole film.

I don't want to marry her, even though I know she'd marry me
But I know I'll look at her in 5/10 years married to some dickhead and think back and wonder what could've been

Cause I have exams and shit and a breakup would be inconvenient

No, are you guys retarded? It's because "I Ran" is keyboard heavy but incredibly simple. She got back at him by forcing him to play something completely brain-dead.

I don' think bothered to listen to the lyrics in that song.

Because he considers himself to be a serious, talented musician and the song doesn't put his abilities to use. He basically hit a single chord every 10 seconds.

quinoa. pure quinoa.

He went on that list as soon as he made Whiplash.

He's now on the "Kings of Soulless Oscar Bait" list right alongside Inarritu and Tom Hooper.

I mean even visually, an ensemble of people cheerfully dancing while stuck in traffic perfectly captures the conflict between the big dreams and the banal realities of LA.

It seemed pretty close to a spiritual sequel to whiplash

If he had played the drums instead of the piano, a lot of what he said about jazz and his desire was identical to Teller's character
Gosling easily could've been a musical prodigy that was blacklisted from big band after the events of the film or just grew out of it because

Any word on when silence or hacksaw are coming out?

i cried through the entire final scene

and it was a long scene.

They're out

pussy
you have to hold back the tears

La La Land = Good movie, bad musical.
Moana = Bad movie, good musical.

I recommend seeing both to get a better idea of how musical storytelling is supposed to work.

Why didn't Greg get a song?

Moana was a good movie though.

Dude, right when it flash backed to him playing those keys, getting fired and she said "I heard you playing.." and they kissed, I burst into tears.

I'm pretty sure there were a couple of scenes cut from "Spring"
It goes from Emma seeing Gosling in that band and then cuts to them at another party where he's wearing a suit. And they say it's weird how they keep running in to each other

I can't even fathom why someone would dislike Whiplash

Are you stupid? She's wearing the same yellow dress, and he put on clothes that weren't stupid. She was even talking to the guy that met at the beginning of the party when she asked Gosling to get her keys.

I thought it was alright, not the critical masterpiece it's being paraded as. I thought it was a nice story, a nice homage to old Hollywood without being too pandering throughout, some of the technical parts like in he observatory worked well. The characters were just kind of normal to me, nothing special.
The ending was great. It's obvious that Sebastian is going to play that little melody, but I didn't expect the 'what our lives could have been' scene. Overall, I'd give it a 7/10

>I feel so sad for the man who looks like Ryan Gosling
Why. Look at the man, he won't have any problem finding a better Emma. This one is barely even an Emma anyway

Reeee, etc.

Yeah but it's that line
"It's weird we keep running in to each other"

Unless they really remembered the opening scene (really?), then that's only the second time they've actually met
And the first time barely counts since he just brushed her off. So that's the first time they've ever talked

The line just felt out of place
I originally assumed that the writer was Greg when watching it until we met Greg. But Gosling also asks her, the next time they meet, about her boyfriend in a such a way that it's implied that she's already told him or he's seen them together

But, for the audience, this is the first time we learn she's in a relatioship

>I didn't expect the 'what our lives could have been' scene
Every trailer has had that kiss in the club, so when it didn't happen at first, I was waiting for it.
I actually thought she was gonna go into Seb's and then Gosling would cuck her husband immediately

But then the flash happened and I immediately realised

never saw any trailers so I had no idea

>Unless they really remembered the opening scene (really?), then that's only the second time they've actually met
That's the third time they met. Highway > bar > party

>But Gosling also asks her, the next time they meet, about her boyfriend in a such a way that it's implied that she's already told him or he's seen them together
Greg called her after their first number together. That's how he knew about him.

The what could have been scene is the only memorable part of the film

Hollywood loves films about Hollywood and the "business", especially dreamy nostalgia disneyfication of the "magic of Hollywood". This movie is the opposite of films like Neon Demon, Starry Eyes, or Mulholland Drive; which portray the darkside of being an actress and the business. This movie is very cliche and childish: "I'm just a lowly barista but I'm gonna achieve my dream! Oh no jobs are so rough, humility is great though!", "I only love jazz, but since I don't have my own jazz club, I've gotta play stupid Christmas songs. Oh me oh my!" For anyone who has actually struggled in the arts, it's stupid, insipid, tepid, and predictable. I wouldn't go as far to say that it's insulting, but it's a very false portrayal.

What would be a realistic portrayal?

None of the main characters achieve anything close to their big aspirations.

Sounds really entertaining, doesn't it?

>barely even an Emma

What the hell does that mean

It can be, because instead of a stupid disney movie, it becomes a real drama or real comedy about failure and the realities of success in a business that most people have no chance to succeed in. Many movies have been made about this topic. Where was the humor or drama in La La Land? Why was I supposed to care when they're playing the game on easy mode. Nostalgic reference to "classic Hollywood", romantic call backs to Gene Kelly, and some mildly pleasant music does not entertainment make. I'm tired of a world of references, remakes, and nostalgic romantic longing for the good ol days of happy simplicity that never existed.

Yes, but it doesn't sound like a musical.

>complain that most movies would show the most likely reality of failing to gain their dreams

>complain that la la land didn't do what every other movie would do

Gosling follows his dream of becoming a real jazz musician by becoming addicted to heroin and then he gets AIDS. Emma Stone starts sucking cocks and fucking on the casting couch to get shitty extra jobs, never succeeds, ends up working the streets, gets AIDS. Stone and Gosling both have AIDS and live in a hovel together.

That's not the movie Damien Chazelle wanted to make. You're knocking the film for failing to do something it never attempted.

Why are we all pretending this movie wasn't supposed to be happy? You're all crying that the film is betraying itself for not having a tragic ending when it wasn't that film in the first place

it's not a movie made for us

This tbqhdesu. At least one of them had to fail, it really does feel fake and dishonest, not even a meme. You can't randomly pick a musician and an actress in LA and have them BOTH become successful. That doesn't even seem possible really. Oh boo hoo it's such a sad ending that their dreams come true but instead of being happy with one hot guy she's happy with another hot guy. What a tragedy, I'm literally crying right now.