This isn't a worthy successor to Whiplash, and I think Chazelle knows that

This isn't a worthy successor to Whiplash, and I think Chazelle knows that.

This is just his side pretentious passion project. His next film needs to be THE film.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Nbue2Pi2tNY
youtube.com/watch?v=K0LID4q0Moc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No it doens't

He's only 33 years old and already made 2 masterpieces

Fuck off neet

He wrote this before whiplash. He made whiplash as a safer movie so that execs and producers could see what he could do with a smaller budget. La La land was the movie he really wanted to make.

reminder the argument at dinner is the only scene of honest filmmaking

>masterpieces
Alright reddit I'm out. Enjoy your underage board.

so is this a musical or what? i might watch it later

>masterpieces

lol

whats wrong with it then?

it was good and this is the first big budget musical made in decades.

That was the worst scene that made no sense

>Why aren't you following your dream?
>>I need to make money so I'm working this gig for a few years until I have the money
>OMG WHY AREN'T YOU FOLLOWING YOUR DREAM

Gosling's character did literally nothing wrong. The woman was fucking stupid.

It's a movie with a few musical numbers thrown in and musical inspired visuals/filmmaking techniques but I think it's a stretch to call it a musical because it felt more like a movie.

What's this autists weird obsession with jazz anyway? He also doesn't seen to understand jazz either.

No it wasn't good christ

ok cool i might watch it so i get the modern memes

and there is nothing else new anyway

MUH TRUE JAZZ

Disgusting.

It was the only point in the film where reality enters the pictures. As in, it's the only point where they address the unrealisticness of their dreams compared to getting real jobs.

But it wasn't realistic because "why not put the dream on pause for 5 years while I save money" like any rational person would say was never brought up

>white boy trying to save jazz
lmao

>rational person

>movies should be about people acting like 100% rational robots with 0 faults

Because you say so you tryhard fuck?
Leave already.

Wtf I love redditors now

youtube.com/watch?v=Nbue2Pi2tNY
this movie had no passion. it was completely dishonest

For making so many films focused on jazz he sure touches the music tangentially at best.
It makes me think that he only uses jazz as a vehicle for his nostalgia.

This

Also whiplash was shit, so was la la land, it's the definition of mediocrity and the director seems to think he's as righteous as the lead characters for following his dreams, and he seems to be saying "see? If you work hard and are great at something you can be successful too" when he's a talentless hack himself with disingenuine filmmaking

These la la land threads will die soon after the film hype ends in a couple of weeks, and it'll be forgotten except for the occasional redditor that includes it in his list of other movies like the artist, the Shawshank redemption, fight club, etc

>emma stone goes on Graham Norton
>doesn't wear a skirt or show cleavage

DROPPED

what was the appeal of this movie everything is average at best. dishonest user was right ffs

But thats exactly what jazz is nowadays. Almosy nobody actually likes or cares about jazz anymore it is just used by hipsters and yuppies to show how sophisticated and cool they are.

Wtf I hate jazz now

>No one can actually like jazz, it's just a hipsters

yeah I studied piano for 15 years and played in a jazz band ironically lol haha what am I like

Why is she so ugly looking in this. Its distracting.

Contemporary jazz has nothing of nostalgia, it sounds nothing like the classic jazz, it evolved a great deal to incorporate modern sensibilities.
People stopped caring about jazz by the 50s when bebop became the norm and rock n' roll was the new hot thing, from then on it has always been a style too complex for musically illiterate people.

She's used as a self insert for girls watching the film.

>Cleavage

The frog girl is literally flat as a board user.

Great film assuming you have the cinema intelligence to understand its movement

nostalgia wanking?

what movement?

What's some good contemporary jazz?

Flying lotus? BBNG? Thundercat? I'm a jazz head and that's all there is today

10/10 bait

Whiplash was great.
This was decent, definitely oscar bait but every director is allowed to do this once in their career.
I agree the next film he makes needs to be the masterpiece. He's definitely got something in his framing that is appealing, he just needs to perfect it.

The anti black, pro bring back white culture to LA movement

Stop complaining and make your own movie then.

>'m a jazz head and that's all there is today

Jazz is what you hear in jazz clubs you fucking moron. Go to your local jazz club for a year then come back and make dumb posts on Sup Forums if you like, but at least you will know they're dumb.

I prefer LLL to Whiplash. Whiplash has a great performance by J.K. Simmons, but is otherwise just a rehash of Black Swan.

Mind you that you actually need to know about music as well to understand this so you're sill going to be confused

All of those are barely jazz.
Stuff like Omar Klein, Avishai Cohen, Tigran Hamasyan, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Pat Metheny are the most pure contemporary jazz there is.
There's still some classics kicking around like Tyner McCoy and Herbie Hancock that retain their sound, but if a new guy were to start playing with that sound it'd fall flat, most bands that play in gigs and never record only rehearse the same old standards over and over again.
Most of them are heavily inaccessible to anyone that's not a musician himself, and that has been the crux of jazz for maybe 70 years now.
Something that's contemporary and easily accessible (like this youtube.com/watch?v=K0LID4q0Moc ) is rare

>LOL IT'S NOT AN ARGUMENT

Keep making excuses. You'll never do anything with that attitude.

Stop being pretentious

>jazz is what you hear in the jazz clubs
Kek says who?

Are all jazz clubs the same? Fuck off retard, just cause you go to jazz clubs doesn't mean you know jack shit about jazz, you're just like chazelle what a joke

>literally 1.5 generations behind the current meta

I don't understand this post.

But she's so ugly the director didn't even want her originally

Exactly, movies need female self-inserts to be popular. That's why really hot actresses don't get famous anymore.

well I rarely listen to jazz don't live in LA and not a hipster so yea I guess I would never notice that

>Chazelle
He's a terrible director, Whiplash is a piece of shit and so is your face

Except Disney flicks ;^)

>let's make a musical
>and put two people who can't sing as the lead roles
>and put an ugly frog faced cunt who can't act in it
What was he thinking?

>ugly frog faced cunt
implying that's a bad thing. fuckin normie, go back to red-dit

iIs hilarious how this simple wish fulfillment movie is being over analyzed by every stupid fuck including Sup Forums, neither Chazelle nor the cast set out to create a masterpiece, its a feel good musical and that's it