How come hip hop is the only electronic music genre that took off in the USA (until EDM)?

How come hip hop is the only electronic music genre that took off in the USA (until EDM)?

BEcause burgers are stupid

because it's vocal centric which makes it more maretable, it's easier to identify a distinctive voice than it is a producers distinctive style. This makes it more marketable

oops, marketable twice and spelled wrong the first time

More black people.

its piss easy to make, perfect for dumb niggers

You mean aside from Disco, House, Techno & cheesey dance-pop?

because the jews in the lamestream media are using niggers as the footsoldiers in a war on the white race, and the cucked libtard soyboy fedora whiteknight reddit low-test retards buy into hip-hop thinking they're """""progressive"""" when really they're fueling the genocide of their own race

but since that's out of the way idk i guess people like the music or something

which didn't take off in the slightest in America

>what is detroit techno

The first three originated in America and are as mig there as much as they are anywhere else. What do you mean by "took off" what is the threshold for something "taking off" vs. not? Are you just talking purely in terms of media attention?

A genre which died off as quickly as it started

It wasn't exactly huge and most people wouldn't be able to name 3 artists, unlike hip hop opposed to any Brit would be able to name 3 big beat or UKGarage artists.

define "took off"
you mean hot 100 charting? coverage in news? played on mtv and radio?

all the above and

>disco
>never popular in America

The scene itself wasn't "huge" persay but there was a fair amount of crossover success/coverage into the mainstream of certain artists/songs

yeah, real popular

I think most brits would probably struggle to name any Garage producers beyond The Artful Dodger, unless they're around the dance music scene themselves which is pretty underground though still large and vibrant, as it is in much of the USA and has been, at least in the big cities.

The difference between Hip Hop and the various indigenous dance music there are in the US is that Hip-hop gets media attention because it has big scenes centered on New York and LA, which is where a lot of the US's media is centered.

If it wasn't popular, how and why did so much widespread backlash against it form?

everything to do with the war on drugs

you just proved his point

Erm, hello

A lot of the reasons behind why electronic music become so popular in the UK in the late 80s has to do with the fact that it's a much smaller country comparatively, they've always been more open to progressive music and dance-able music, plus they have a fetish for taking styles from other countries and putting their own spin on it (reggae, rock and roll, soul music, etc.)

However, the big part is, because the country is so small, it's much easier for independent and underground music to sit side by side with mainstream acts in the charts or on radio or in music magazines. The barriers aren't really there. Lots of weird shit has blown up and charted highly. Even My Bloody Valentine had a Top 40 single.

America is just so vast, you have to permeate all the big urban centers, plus the suburbs, plus the rural areas. Hip-Hop was easy because it was a big time NYC thing that crossed over to LA, the two major cultural centers of America so there was a lot of coverage and publicity around it just by virtue of location, like London in England (and then hip-hop easily spread to Detroit, Atlanta, Houston, Chicago, etc. etc.).

Dance music died in america when disco died. It went underground and turned into house, techno, and other electronic genres. Americans weren't very interested in electronic music. In america It was mostly an underground niche sometimes associated with gay people and Europeans. Every now and then there would be some random electronic one hit wonder (IM BLUE AND IF I WERE GREEN I WOULD DIE, darude, sandstorm) but it wasnt really taken seriously.

They pushed something called "electronica" in the 90's and tried marketing it to gen x. Stuff like prodigy, crystal method, fatboy slim, aphex twin, etc. It didnt really take off.

Then in the 2010's they rebrandded electronic music as "EDM" and mass marketed it to dude bros and instagram sluts and dubstep was forced into the mainstream consciousness by that rat faced fuck tard skrillex . And electronic music somehow went the most mainstream it has ever been in america. ruining both electronic music and pop

rap music is not associate culturally with electronic music and rave culture occurred seperatly from that nigger shit.

Craig David

hey thats the joke! nice :)

Hey guys!

That's fair, I assumed Craig David was an MC who didn't do the music for the stuff he's known for. Apparently I was wrong.

Anyway, its a moot point because
pretty much nailed it.

pretty much nobody knows him outside of like 2-3 songs (which are more RnB than proper garage) and that whole meme thing

And the Leigh Fancis character

He is the Drake of the UK

>British people are so insecure that they have constructed a narrative where dance music is an exclusively European phenomenon, beginning with Kraftwerk followed by Aphex Twin with nothing happening before or in between
get over your superiority complex, "lads"

>Disco didn't take off in America
>Techno didn't take off in America
>Dance Pop didn't take off in America

>It was mostly an underground niche sometimes associated with gay people.. Every now and then there would be some random electronic one hit wonder

That's really not that different to the UK, even with the likes of The Prodigy being big you'd be surprised how many people never got past that small handful of artists that received a bit of media attention and into the rest of it.

hard agree. Europe may have perfected it but the Americans laid a lot of the ground work. Modern EDM is a bit of an aberration.

Go to bed, Joel

>implying techno ever reached mainstream popularity in the US
>implying dancepop wasn't just an imported craze that repackaged actual dance genres in a more palatable form for Americans and is comparable to techno/other dance genres

fpbp

This is actually pretty interesting. I haven't really thought of it this way. So a bigger population would mean less openness to other music, and I see that a lot in India (whose situation is a LOT worse than US' in terms of openness)

Please go outside. Holy shit, reading this makes me embarrassed on your behalf.

>>implying techno ever reached mainstream popularity in the US
as a whole no, but kevin saunderson had a hit single in '89 that was all over mtv and radio and night clubs (which at the time would play anything from rnb to hip-hop to alternative/new wave to post-disco/house stuff)

WOW!

One whole song in 1989???!!?!

disco was huge at one point in America but died due too the rockists who drove it underground

Do you count synthpop? Because that was pretty big in the US being linked to both the new wave rock/independent music scene as well as the club scene.

Also what about post-disco? Was that not popular in America?

Neither were popular.

Electronic/dance music (sans hip-hop) in America was purged from america with the disco backlash in '79 (disco wasn't even that big) and was essentially barred from the mainstream as a whole until a brief slight entry in the very late 90s. It wasn't until 2010 that the floodgates opened.

Even The Grateful Dead put out a disco album. In their own unique way....shakedown street etc.

false

Ok well that same year you also had Maurice' This is Acid become the top DJed song in America on the Billboard DJ charts, in between Fine Young Cannibal's She Drives Me Crazy and Madonna's Like a Prayer

>what is UR
>still active to this day
try again

cuz its objectively the best

Hip-hop was popular but it was also pushed very hard by 1989 when it became an apparent gold-mine. The personalities in it were a residual source of tabloid outrage and basically ideal for a form of popular disposable music. It also had its own culture, fashion, dialect and involved a bunch of people who up until this point had been outside the realm of music but now were a distinct element in it. The DIY element is really important (laptop fags only came along in electronic music later on)

After the British invasion acts fell off the charts and a lot of the post-disco attitudes still prevailed, dance was still considered music for urban gays, latinos or sissy sophisticates and suffered due to the HIV stigma too. The oversaturation of dance-pop in the mid to late 1980s (Taylor Dayne, Stacey Q) played a role. Madonna (someone who had always done dance pop music) made a more pure dance album in 1992 and got shit on for it.

In Britain, dance music had always been taken more seriously and genres of it passed in and out of fashion more organically. It also never really had the 'hard' separation from rock that it did in the US because of groups like New Order (though bands like the Smiths tried to attack it)

No one knows who they are

Actually one of the best known underground electronic music labels in the world. so no, try again.

No one in America would have a fucking clue.

Yes, anybody that's into underground dance music would, even n the US, especially in the US.