How can I be better than Tyler the Creator? What do you think his strengths and weaknesses are?

How can I be better than Tyler the Creator? What do you think his strengths and weaknesses are?

a thread died for this

or Kanye.

I want to be better than my influences.

People like you don't succeed and that's good

Is OP trying to be a rapper?

wait a minute
this that you, gambino?

look at this picture and tell me with a straight face that black people arent less evolved than other races.

develop a deep understanding of jazz, then dont try to make "chill" funk influenced normy beats. Instead try to incorporate lots of modern/avant-garde jazz influence.

who are people like me

yes.

You think tyler resembles jazz that much?

his last album does

Tyler likes soul.

you'll get there one day kendrick

Listen I appreciate this joke because of how true it is but I'm being serious

More like Tyler, the Meme Creator

Have you listened to some of his earlier works? Pre-Bastard, I mean

A lot of them sound worse than the stuff that /prod/ pumps out.

Honestly, if you want to be better than this guy, you've gotta get yourself out there. I remember attending one of his shows before anyone outside of the city even knew his name. It was at some no-name shitty club, too.

I agree with you but what's wrong with that picture?

Tyler has a specific style that can be recognized immediately, which he sticks to throughout every drastic evolution of his sound. I think this is because he's always understood exactly what he was setting out to do with his music. This is important if you want to stand out as an outsider, even while borrowing heavily from your contemporaries.

Tyler's strengths
>consistency (most of the time, Tyler's beats always sound like him)
>jazz chords and leads
>his influences/taste
>sound choice
>variety
>making the most with the least (sound wise and being minimal)
>simplicity
>sticking to what fundamentally makes good beats
>aesthetically always coming from the same place
>avoiding contemporary trends for the most part
Weaknesses
>doesn't rap like he used to, doesn't try, for a couple of albums relied almost purely on shock
>lyrics have taken a down turn since bastard
>over indulgence without anything to warrant it, see "partyisntover/campfire/bimmer", some parts of cherry bomb and FB
>doesn't really have a lot to talk about subject wise and isn't very in depth when he does (unless it was confessional like the old stuff)
>thinking anyone wants to listen to shit like "garbage", "her", "trashwang", "tina", etc etc
>being repetitive lyrically and musically
>pandering, see "domo23" "see you again" "who dat boy"

And just to clarify
Consistency in quality, you always get the same product. Simplicity and making the most with the least are in fact two different things even though it sounds a bit repetitive funnily enough. He keeps it simple, but that's not making the most with the least. Tyler makes the most with the least by picking the right sounds and good producing/songwriting. Same with aesthetically coming from the same place and consistency. Sounds the same but is different

>Pre-Bastard
No.

can you elaborate?

strengths:
>he's gay
weaknesses
>everything else
>especially cherry bomb
>lol

Cherry Bomb

Cherry Bomb is his best album.

Because you don't like how their faces look? Not to mention there's no such thing as "less evolved" anyway.

Is he as smart as he looks?