BRAVO LUCAS

>Commands naval infantry
>is a General rather than an Admiral

BRAVO TRUMP

> commands naval infantry
> leads an invasion of an ice planet with no oceans

bravo, OP.

Naval Infantry=Marines
Nothing wrong with this. The Russian marines are even called the Naval Infantry.

>in a ground walker attacking a ground target from the ground
How is that naval?

Nope, they were Imperial Army. The stormtrooper corps weren't part of the Navy even if they were aboard Star Destroyers.

I thought the storm troopers we separate from the Imperial Army.

The navy is star wars consists of ships like star destroyers

Aern't the stormtroopers a seperate entity of special forces and the Imperial Army look more like what General Veers is dressed like. the movies don't really address it and its more an EU thing, for all intents and purporses the Stormtroopers are presented as the standard grunt

That's the impression I got from browsing wookiepedia, but they never show regular imperial soldiers.

Why would space ships be navy? Naboo had oceans and lots of other planets have oceans.

I think these guys were meant to be the average Imperial troopers, but the stormtrooper suits were so iconic that they just ended up as the standard troopers.

Those helmets seem incredibly impractical.

There's no water in space, dumbass.

How big do you think the Imperial military is? Billions of guys?

Sometimes helmets look silly.

Darth Vader has a similar helmet. It protect the head from Ewok sticks.

How big do you think the Imperial military is? Billions of guys?

Naval traditions and tactics are carried over from their terrestrial forbears. There are ships, fleets, destroyers, carriers, battleships, gunboats etc.

The real question is why the carry over of French derived words like Lieutenant and Ambassador from a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

Doesn't matter, just have to look cool.

>ice is water
BRAVO

That was Legends and they were called Imperial Army Troopers. Stormtroopers are a separate branch but are main infantry units on the field.

Veers was not part of the navy, he was Imperial Army. The uniform he wears before battle in ESB is not a navy one too.

What even is the role of the Imperial Army when even in A New Hope Stormtroopers are used for standard patrols on shithole planets like Tattoine (you can make the argument that the actual number of Stormtroopers looking for the droids was only squad sized and dispatched from Vaders death star but thats thrown out when you see them patroling walls in Mos Eisley)

Are they basically like the PDF forces from Wh40k?

The Navy can and will carry a lot of troops. IE: World War 2

>Ships in space
>Called a navy
Genius

Stormtroopers must be the go to garrison force or at least MP equivalent to keep the locals in line and collar spies and fugitives.
They are alway guarding prime defensive installations(though not very well).

I can see IA being the conscripted fodder or perhaps the Wermacht since they are usually in vehicles.

>commands naval infantry
>leads an invasion of a sand country

If it's anything like real life, Army generals actually take seniority when a multi-branch operation is carried out.

How did the Falcon get to Bespin without a hyperdrive

Because they were speaking English?

what arenthe marines you stupid fuck

Lucas didn't direct or write Empire, silly.

This is just my headcanon, but they probably had some sort of real slow backup hyperdrive. It took them weeks to get to Bespin.

I bet Han and Leia banged all the way there

>Lando made a general
>commands the space forces
bravo

Sci-Fi writers have no sense of scale

I can see it now.
Slow Freighter to Bespin: A Star Wars Story

Why was Lando even made a General? Is ruling a city that similar to commanding military forces?

Also wasnt he mostly busy with tracking down Han between V and VI? What did he do to be made a General?

>someone must have mentioned my little maneuver at the battle of somethingsomething

someone must've told them about his little maneuver at the battle of tanaab

ESB is the tragic story of what happens when you don't properly mantain your vehicle.

So what are the ranks/variants of Stormtroopers that are still canon?

>Stormtrooper
>Snowtrooper
>Flametrooper
>Dark trooper
>Death trooper
>Scout Troopers

Well he could commit forces, funds and resources from his Bespin holdings.
In the American civil war if you had the cash you could kit out your own regiment from the local lads and guarantee yourself a commission.

Just like the last Republic you don't need any military education to be a general, see Jedi Generals

- darktrooper
+sandtrooper

battlefront made shadowtroopers canon

Oh yeah, forgot about that, even then it still feels like they are a bit too easy on handing out fucking General positions

I thought rebels made Dark troopers canon though.

dat MG42

those weren't dark troopers, those were totally-not-dark-troopers called sentry droids

dark troopers are still canon thanks to some mobile game released after the disney purge though

why does he need chest armor if he's in a armored vehicle?

I love how Luke BLEW UP THE FUCKING DEATH STAR and, wow, "thanks for making me 'Commander Skywalker'."

Meanwhile, Lando does a little manuever at the Battle of Buttfuck and they make him a god damned GENERAL. Like, huh?

To protect against spalling.

because he's veers and he does what he wants

How does one even advance in the Imperial military?

A single mistake and youre chocking on your aspirations

oh fuck it's the dude that tried to steal the holy grail

Vader can't choke everyone.

I assume that a hyperdrive exceeds the speed of light (even though Leia says "no light speed?") because light speed alone would make covering large tracts of the galaxy impossible. So maybe the default top speed minus the hyperdrive is still at least light speed...enough to get you to some inhabited system without taking years to do it.

The Ewoks should be glad that Veers weren't around to fuck them up

Unless you feel very secure on something, never take a mission where Vader will be close.

Also watch out for fucking backstabbers, im sure the Imperial Military is full of them

First off Imperial Marines have generals not admirals.

Second, since when are Snowtroopers marines?

Lando probably lost everything he had the moment he went against the empire

Veers chose...poorly.

This is true, whatever he could smuggle out with his moleman was probably all he could take.

It may very well have taken a month to get there, the passage of time is edited.

being a good pilot and getting a really lucky shot doesn't mean you should suddenly be placed in a high rank.

He's a farmboy from dustball nowhere.

Affirmative action provides unexperienced force-users with dibs on military rank.

I think Luke was offered a higher ranking and declined because he would be training as a Jedi. He was really in and out of the organized Alliance in Empire and Jedi.

What about being a fucking jedi though, in fact the ONLY fucking jedi.

He has demonstrable knowledge of the force, that has to be worth something

thats becuse he killed the assigned admiral, ozzel

They probably didn't want talented guys like Han and Lando walking out the door because some mid level officer decided to be a petty little bitch and throw his weight around.

Its a real helmet design. it's supposed to block shrapnel (a very large concern on a starship) without obstructing vision or head movement. It's only real drawback is that it's bulky.

They had only 5 generals and Lando was leading the Death Star assault. Seems fitting.

Infantry transported on navy boats
Commanded by an army general

BRAVO RROSEVELT

i haven't seen iRebel

tell about the new stormtroopers

wtf are sandtroopers anyway

>mg42

Lando ran a fucking city and was a proven administrator. That makes him a lot more valuable as someone with planning and logistics than a good pilot.

these are imperial commandos, according to the first dark forces game

>t.ms-dos

That's how the army works. You don't give a high rank to good fighters or they won't fight anymore. Generals are pen-pushers, not fighters.

The last real general to actually go the front line and fight was Napoleon at Arcole

Elite troopers are black... and know how to hit something and throw grenades. That's another case of BLM agenda is you ask me.

It still doesn't automatically translate into military know-how and leadership abilities.

It's exactly like the Roman Legion.

The Legion was supposed to be elite troops because they were professionals, as opposed as citizen levies who were only mobilized ponctually (like in Greek cities).

But Rome had such a success with the Legion, they put tons of money in it and stopped used random citizens to make war, only Legionaires hired for 10 years.

For each jedi on the field leading troops, there was other jedis learning about the force, studying in archive, doing police work, investigating cases or even writing poetry for all we know. Only few jedis were leaders.

Doesn't that just reinforce the point that not all Jedi should be made generals just because they're Jedi?

samurai helmets are so fucking cool

how can knights even compete

>how can knights even compete
By winning against them. Everytime.

Veers is not in the Navy. You're thinking of Piett.

Yes. They were more like militarized police in terms of infantry, but they also provided most of the vehicle support to the Stormtrooper corps.

Basically, the storm troopers are legionaries and the army are all the auxiliaries. Army infantry is just a back up, since the Storm Troopers are always attached for any mission of worth.

But remember that on Tatooine, that was a very important mission, and Stormtroopers serve as marines, so they were available to land there first. If they wanted army infantry, they would have to ship them in.

All ground action in the original trilogy could be considered important enough to warrant storm troopers.

name 1 instance in history that this happened

everyone knows a samurai would defeat any knight in single combat thanks to the purity of japanese spirit

That is not how it worked, nor did it ever work that way.

Well, it KIND OF did, but he butchered the details.

Original the legions were made of citizens who were formed into an army when needed. They were organized by voting bloc, which was determined by wealth.

This system actually worked well because Romans had more citizens to draw upon than Greek city states or other nations. They were eager to increase the number of subjects with Roman citizenship (and thus service obligation in the legions). Non-citizen allies formed their own forces which then served under Roman command in battle.

The Marian reforms made it so that citizenship no longer required military service. Now, citizens were hired and equipped by the state. Later on, they would make this army a standing army, with 15-25 year terms. So now the elites only served in the military if they felt like it wanted to start a political career.

Roman allied troops (allies meaning subjects without citizenship) which eventually be organized in a similar manner, making them much more organized and available. They became more standardized and got Roman citizenship for themselves and their family for serving. These troops were the auxiliary and provided basically all the archers, slingers, and cavalry for the legions.

The legions were considered elite heavy in terms of training and ability, though the auxiliary infantry would eventually become about the same.