/vinyl/

let's talk record players, cartridges, needles, etc Sup Forums.

can someone redpill me on cartridges? currently using a vintage technics quartz, and i've been told it's a pretty good turntable, but it uses P-mount and not Standard mount cartridges, making my selection very slim and seemingly mostly low price.

so i guess my main question is why doesn't anyone make high end "audiophile" stuff for P-mount turntables, are they generally lower quality, or just less popular or generally vintage? My turntable still works very well and i don't really see a reason to upgrade, but since I have acquired more expensive records since I got it, would it be worth it to possibly get something higher end? if so, what do you recommend (not looking to spend over $500 atm, already have speakers and a receiver so that's covered)

appreciate any info / discussion. thanks yall

Other urls found in this thread:

lpgear.com/category/LPG.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you like listening to a rock glide against plastic, you're retarded.

>why doesn't anyone make high end "audiophile" stuff for P-mount turntables

Vinyl is niche and lifestyle. This is why the tech is still stuck in 70's and early 80's sadly. There's some high end stuff for P-mounts here:

lpgear.com/category/LPG.html

In my experience the cartridge doesn't make that much of a difference. The one in your picture is alright. A good stylus is something to consider. A high end stylus (micro line type) for that Audio Technica costs around $200 last time I checked. The difference between a micro line and elliptical isn't THAT big though, you'll get better high end response which is actually audible in some cases, better tracking and quieter pops/crackles. I've digitised vinyl records and these are some things I've noticed when using different styli.

Hey I got something, Technics SL-1200 or Audio Technica AT-LP120?

>ATN-3600

Is it a keeper? I'm not autistic about sound quality and it sounds good* even on my 99AUD micro hifi.

*not complete and utter shit

SL-1200 obviously. No shitty internal pre-amp.

not even comparable..they've copied the entire aesthetic except its all shitty plastic and it has a low grade internal pre-amp.

Any new automatic tables with no built in preamp?

It is slim pickings for t4p carts. If you want to try out a microline stylus like the Audio Technica 440mla/440mlb/vm540ml, you can find old AT or Signet p-mount carts that look like this, and use those newer series of styli with it.

nice

What amps are you guys using?

why the fuck do you have minidiscs

SL-1200 is usually the best option. You can find a used SL-1200 on eBay for the same price as a new/retail AT-LP120... It's also a lot durable, and of course built like a tank. Weighs a frigton too.

An old Marantz from the 70s. Very nice sound, but I really should have it revised someday. Volume pot crackles on turning, and the panel lights are half gone. Still a beautiful thing though.

My car doesnt have a record player.

I'm limiting myself to around $100 for a record player, not too fussed about sound quality desu. But which ones should I go for to avoid excessive damage to my records?

Honestly you should raise your limit to at least $200, anything 100 or so uses the same shitty Chinese mechanism that you would find on a Crosley.

bump

The Audio Technica ATLP60. don't let the vinyl elitists tell you it's a bad player.

A second hand store near me is selling pic related. Does anyone know if it would be a good idea to buy it. It looks like its in good condition and it probably runs. It does not have a price tag so i would probably try to bargain.

Shit wrong pic. Its actually a akai ap-q55.

>akai ap-q55.
looks like shit. just get technics

What would be a good economy Technics model then? Around 150$.

>150$.
nevermind then

it is, just buy used