youtube.com/watch?v=4Id6N30MuII
youtube.com/watch?v=447yaU_4DF8&ab_channel=KennyGVEVO
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it sounds like shit

TOOT
SKREONK

Kenny G

undisciplined musical masturbation probably

jazz is never shitty, it simply becomes more 'free' and 'experimental' attracting more and more hipsters and 'holier-than-thou' jazz fans

tonal undistorted death metal

I've been listening to jazz for a week and it's all indistinguishable

but it can be a tune or something like not 'free' at all and still be horrible. kenny g or something is a good example

Listen to Kind of Blue again

God Sup Forums talking about jazz gives me fucking cancer.

Wrong. Good music to me is one that conjures emotions or ideas effectively and profoundly, as with any good art. Free and experimental jazz can evoke extremely powerful feelings of chaos when done correctly (Cecil Taylor's Unit Structures is a good example of this).

These two are correct. Kenny G's music falls into the background and is completely and utterly uninteresting and unemotional.

Jazz has just as many subgenres and phases as rock music. This is a retarded judgement to make. Tell me these two songs sound anything alike.

youtube.com/watch?v=7tnPkQufnZY
youtube.com/watch?v=UbkqE4fpvdI

kek

I was trying to say I can't tell the difference between good or bad jazz but I'm retarded. Do you have any recs beyond the entry level Coltrane and Davis albums? I want to learn.

That's why Kenny G is so successful. He's not pretentious, he makes background music.

Out of tune, basic improvisations, musician bursting out random notes instead of following a path, not listening to other musicians in the band
It's hard to think of someone who sounds like that, but that's because jazz musicians have to achieve a high level of proficiency before they get to record music

He's not even jazz, just a pop instrumentalist
I still can't get over him overdubbing his sax solo on What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong, this was distasteful
>let me improve a classic recording of louis armstrong by adding a cheesy sax solo

The second piece you posted is not jazz.

like literally who gives a shit. Armstrong didn't even write that song, he wasn't even the person for who it was written originally
>muh sacred old pop song

Keith Jarrett

>Armstrong didn't even write that song, he wasn't even the person for who it was written originally
Bill Evans didn't write My Foolish Heart, John Coltrane didn't write my Favourite Things, Billie Holiday didn't write Strange Fruit, Sonny Rollins didn't write St. Thomas, Charlie Parker didn't write Cherokee, etc.
Jazz is a genre that centers on individual performances (often reinterpretations of other material) and improvisation. Louis tended to focus a lot more on intonation, subtle rhythmic changes and diction in how he treated songs in his later years rather than the melodic invention of his early stuff but there's still a massive amount of creativity that goes into how he approaches songs like What a Wonderful World and it's a really emotive and captivating performance.

hmmm. fair enough, i concede defeat

Fuck Louis Armstrong and fuck Kenny G.
Both are pop bullshit.

youtube.com/watch?v=L34S4Tt1EuQ

>Free and experimental jazz can evoke extremely powerful feelings of chaos
cringe overload

It would sound like the musicians not caring and not even trying to do anything musical.

Except Kenny g is a soulless husk of a human being who capitalizes on most people's desire to only have music as wallpaper and Louis Armstrong invented half of the basic vocabulary of jazz, paved the way for countless black musicians, inspired countless others and generally just helped solidify the front man centered format that most pop music has been following for the last century. Even if you don't like him, there's a really strong case to be made that he's the most influential musician of the 20th century and maybe of all time.

youtube.com/watch?v=4WPCBieSESI&ab_channel=thechickencompany

I was getting cozy with some Pete Fountain honky tonk jazz earlier. Can someone rec me a jazz clarinetist
>There must be a Coltraine/Davis for the clarinet

Go to a high school jazz festival and you'll know

Reminder that if you think it sounds like shit, you're allowed to say so. But there will always be a crusty jazz fan somewhere that thinks it is superlative genius

>I was trying to say I can't tell the difference between good or bad jazz but I'm retarded.
I don't understand what this means. I hear people say it every so often but I don't get it.

Like, how do you know if rock music is good?

You're not even interested in acknowledging valid criticism, forget nuance.

>it simply becomes more 'free' and 'experimental' attracting more and more hipsters and 'holier-than-thou' jazz fans
youtube.com/watch?v=4Id6N30MuII
You can't tell me this is doing nothing to you if you're human.

There's lots of shitty jazz out there but most the famous ones are famous for a reason. The bad ones are the ones no one has ever heard of and don't sell any albums.

This is mostly correct. Critical acclaim is a better yardstick tho.
youtube.com/watch?v=447yaU_4DF8&ab_channel=KennyGVEVO

this is what a jazz fan sounds like

well yeah. you've only been listening to it for a week

>justifying free jazz because of 'feelings'
>recommending cecil taylor
>claiming head hunters is jazz
give me a break

>fuck louis armstrong
he essentially invented soloing

>I'd say ayler is a special case for many reasons. it is not because of emotion alone that his music is an exception to the fact taht most free jazz is great.

Not him but why isn't Head Hunters Jazz?

it is funk or at best fusion. it's a fantastic album tho.