Why was this even controversial in the first place?

Why was this even controversial in the first place?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OG83qBuQ_A8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because when everyone questiond why Sony made the choice to make it an all female cast they went on the defensive starting an Internet squabble

Because people didn't like it being a blatant cashgrab, it was extremely forced, and then to boot they get female ""comedians"" to play the parts. The movie obviously turns out to be total shit and bombs, and everyone forgets about it.

>implying the controversy wasn't artificially created by Sony
it was literally the core of their marketing strategy. Sony fell for the "any publicity is good publicity" meme and the experiment failed spectacularly. All that media attention and you just barely manage to make a profit, holy fucking kek

Daily reminder that Annihilation (2017) will be the female Ghostbusters everyone wanted

Shoulda done a "soft reboot"...they had the old cast on hand any fucking way.

>Sony fell for the "any publicity is good publicity" meme
they were not entirelly wrong,but the movie was an abortion i heard.

it was a shit movie, and clearly had a political element to the descision making during pre production. Thats pretty much it

What I don't understand is why they didn't just utilize the fact that the majority of the cast from the originals is still alive. I mean, they could have easily created a plot based around their age and they come together for the funeral of Egon. They could still have a female character that joins the group for whatever ghost problems arise, so they can still cater to the female/sjws that way. She could even be the main focus of the film, maybe she had some serious daddy issues and wants to reconnect with her late father, so she tries to enlist the help of the old farts to see if they can connect her with his ghost (surely ghostbusters would know how to do that). They deny her, but she finds out enough about their work that she sneaks into one of their labs, or whatever, and unleashes something she shouldn't have. The rest can pretty much write itself. Hell, she could even be half black (Egon looks like a blacked kind of guy).

>Annihilation (2017)

Based on what? All that's really known is the director, cast and one sentence describing the plot. Pretty large leap your taking there user.

oh shit they're making Annihilation

4 female scientists go into alien land to rescue Poe
>based on a book
>decent cast
>good director
None of which Ghostbusters had.

Sounds good but that was never going to happen. The old cast was literally blackmailed into participating so they weren't going to do anything more than the absolute minimum required. "Show up for 30 seconds in this piece of shit so we can market this to gullible neckbeards on the internet", that's what Sony told them.
It's depressing that Aykroyd never got to make his Ghostbusters 3. Sure it might have turned out shit but at least it would've been a guarantedd genuine nostalgia trip

Since everyone seems to hate it I'm starting to think that it might be kino

I'm sure it will be better but that's not saying much. OI is a good sign though, hopefully Hershlag won't shit it up too much and is given a lesser role.

Enraged conservaSJW manchildren bravely started a campaign to make it the most downvoted youtube video or something.

Good, let the contrarianism flow through you.

They were entirely wrong when the film bombed.

Yeah they managed to rile up some feminists into seeing it and giving it a fresh RT score but it was playing to empty cinemas because people talking about it on the internet =\= ticket sales like they thought it would.

The marketing.

cause it was marketed to be

Is Sony capable of a single good decision?

>Is Sony capable of a single good decision?
Yes

>turns out to be total shit and bombs
wat

Sony admitted that it bombed. Between their marketing costs and failed merchandise they just barely broke even.

This is how you make a new ghostbusters and not completely fuck your shit up

>it's a direct sequel
>it opens with a television showing how all over the world there's now ghost busters everywhere catching ghosts
>even fucking Indians are catching sheevas.
>cuts to protagonists who are also ghost busters but they're losers
>losing business because of the large international ghost busting company that runs all the shit
>about to go bust
>get an offer by ghost busters inc to join
>they reluctantly do it and do some ghost shit
>find out the company stores all the ghosts in a weird thing
>find out the owner of the company is actually a ghost who wants to harvest all the other ghosts to gain power and become a god
>ghostbusters have to try and convince everyone he's a ghost and take him out

and even that is a rough first draft but it's better than what the fuck they did.

Because Hollywood Trannies normally scrub-up better.

This fucking screams The Lego Movie rip off

It's even got a punk girl

Are people even still alive who seen the first GB?

I watched about 30 mins out of curiosity but it's so slow and the "jokes" are dry and/or weird.

So happy this movie never went anywhere.

Pathetically mediocre enough to not really piss anyone off, still bad enough that no one remembers it 6 months later.

Horrid story

>Are people from the mid-eighties to late nineties still alive, when Ghostbusters was a household name

Yes they are.

This is actually a pretty dope concept. Nice work, user.

paully boy called all trailer haters racists, sexists and fuckers on twitter and it kind of blew up from there

alt right fags didn't help

The studio doesn't take the full box office. The budget doesn't include the marketing. It's not hard to figure out.

Feig said himself the flick needed $500m worldwide.

The sony email hacks proved that a film needs twice the budget to break even and four times the budget to warrant a sequel.

it wasn't. at all

marketing campaign was trying to make up some bullshit controversy, but it mostly failed miserably

And look at this thread - the film is remembered SOLELY for its controversy.

Why was the movie so sexist?

That was more or less the original plan, until Sony decided to force out Ivan Reitman and hand the whole thing over to Paul fucking Feig

And then Feig couldn't figure out how to write a story in the original universe, so LOL REBOOT

That's literally how it went down.

I remember it solely for the fact that they tried to force it down our throats, and they had to threaten Bill Murray with a lawsuit to get him to make a cameo.

Part of the problem was hiring SNL actors again. I hear it ended up being exactly like the current day SNL set where everyone tries to be funnier than the other person rather than cooperating to make a quality comedy.

Manchildren who can't let go of their nostalgia.

It was a media fabricated distraction for everyone to divert their outrage to, while secrets about the 28 pages of documentation were leaked that the Saudis were responsible for 9/11 which somehow nobody give a shit about

The movie is a nostalgia cashgrab and it fucked up. Not an argument.

>I'll just shit all over this thing you liked as a kid. What? You have a problem with that? Let go of your nostalgia, manchild!

And I'd imagine running a negative marketing campaign targeting an entire gender would be a tad bit more expensive than usual.

But if it wasn't for nostalgia, it wouldn't stand a chance anyway. Have you seen the box office sales of Star Wars TFA in China, where there's no nostalgia for the franchise? It wasn't good.

So you'll have to explain who this movie was aimed at exactly. The demographic most nostalgic for it were the people that were being told it wasn't for them.

Ghostghazi

I thought they were making a sequel anyway because "fuk da h8tas"

It was too obvious.

Like a forced meme.

>If you don't like thing, don't watch it.
>Okay I won't.
>FUCKING REEEEEEE

Nope.

>literally blackmailed
how

youtube.com/watch?v=OG83qBuQ_A8

It was revealed in the leaked Sony emails that part of the contracts they signed back in the day obligated them to a third movie. The emails specifically said they were prepared to sue Bill Murray if he didn't agree to be in it.

The guy with glasses said it was great for liberal bux

Everyone pretending it was good to pander

>Because people didn't like it being a blatant cashgrab

So why did people like TFA?