I've been getting into Ween lately, but I wasn't alive in the 90s, so I was wondering just how popular they were...

I've been getting into Ween lately, but I wasn't alive in the 90s, so I was wondering just how popular they were. When I first listened to them I figured they were relatively unknown, but since then I've heard some things that make me think I'm wrong. So how popular was Ween in their prime?
Btw I'm not asking because I'm some hipster who wants his music to be known by three people, I'm just genuinely curious.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qtTJMTbR6Lg&feature=youtu.be&t=170
youtube.com/watch?v=GxVubAHxpuM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They had two songs on SpongeBob SquarePants and one on Tony Hawk's Underground 2. What do you think?

They're probably more popular now than ever. Just watch some live shows from the 90's and you can kind of get an idea. They were a cult band.

>comedy rock

They've been on a bunch of movie soundtracks and were on Beavis and Butthead and South Park.

>posting with a trip

I've been curious about this too. Been getting into Ween lately myself.

>posting anonymously

Not particularly popular. Some of their videos got played on 120 Minutes so they weren't unknown, they came around at the right time to ride the alternative wave when mainstream labels were going nuts signing quirky and weird bands just to try and get the next big thing. But when the rock culture shifted in the late 90s they kind of left the mainstream like most of those bands such as TMBG, King Missile and The Ass Ponys. But the fans they got stuck around and slowly their base grew and grew. But they were never as big as they are right now.

>posting with a trip

Not popular. They were played on MTVs 120 mins (midnight sundays) and alternative nation (weekdays at 11 pm). A couple of sections of their videos were shown on Beevis and Butthead, but Beevis and Butthead would be talking over the video. No to very little play on alternative radio stations, usu only on a special show. The 2 most well known songs via MTV were push the daisies and voodoo lady.

Oh wow lol another trip fag that has absolutely no idea what hes fucking talking about. Flight of the Concords is comedy rock, Ween is something else entirely. Having elements of comedy does not make a band comedy rock

Ruined my whole day with your fucking faggotry

>Ween is something else entirely
Let's fact check that, shall we ?
>Many bands within the alternative rock and college rock spectrum are known for their incorporation of humorous and satirical songs, with bands such as They Might Be Giants, The Presidents of the United States of America, Bloodhound Gang, Those Pretty Boys, System Of A Down, Ween, and Camper Van Beethoven finding both mainstream and independent success in the United States, as well as successful foreign bands such as Parokya ni Edgar and Knorkator."

>Genres: Alternative rock experimental rock lo-fi psychedelic rock comedy rock"

>Although they did not play on the album, bassist Dave Dreiwitz and keyboardist Glenn McClelland joined the band in April 1997; their debut was a performance of the Mollusk track "The Golden Eel" on an episode of the Comedy Central show Viva Variety. The lineup of Freeman-Melchiondo-McClelland-Dreiwitz-Coleman would remain the same until Ween's breakup in 2012.
You were saying ? I know it's hard to accept that your favorite goofballing spoofmeisters are under the same label as Weird Al (an arguably more talented artist) but please don't be delusional. Ween is a comedy rock band.

Why wasn't Transdermal Celebration a hit? Why was Push The Little Daisies their highest charting single? What the fuck is the deal with all this?

>comedy rock
>having a sense of humor
is Type O Negative comedy rock just because they crack jokes?
Nirvana made Tourette's and Negative Creep as jokes does that make them a comedy band?

>genres: comedy rock
You are delusional.

>someone else said it was this genre and wrote it down so it is
Ween is clearly comedy rock but you're a fucking idiot

mfw seeing frendos posts auto minimized so i dont have to read them

>tripfag
You are delusional

The mainstream rock landscape in 2003 had no room for anything that wasn't pop punk, nu metal or calculated garage rock. 1992-1995 was the only time period since the 60s where weird rock could be popular

>you're right but you're still dumb !
Typical. Just admit that you're wrong and leave it at that. No need for petty whining.

I'm a different poster. Your argument is dumb, even though the conclusion is right.

Push The Little Daisies was a hit because it was on Beavis and Butthead which was probably their first mainstream exposure. A lot people heard of them through that back in the 90's.

Then Spongebob introduced them to the millennials who weren't cool enough to be 90's kids.

>I'm a different poster.
pic
> Your argument is dumb
Lol, no it isn't. You just want it to be dumb. See > their debut was a performance of the Mollusk track "The Golden Eel" on an episode of the Comedy Central show Viva Variety
They were ingrained into comedy from day motherfucking one. They make shitty goofball tunes for losers.

I was specifically replying to your reply saying that because it's listed as "comedy rock" on wikipedia or some shit, that makes it comedy rock

Again, they ARE comedy rock and I'm not the other nerd insisting they're not. Just popping in to call you an idiot and pop out.

>I was specifically replying to your reply saying that because it's listed as "comedy rock" on wikipedia or some shit, that makes it comedy rock
Little dishonest to whine and kick about a shorthand referring back to the previous argument made, isn't it ? Are we perhaps fibbing a little ?

"Comedy rock" is horribly reductive though. It's definitely true that a large portion of their material is comedic in nature, but as they progressed throughout the '90s (and in the '00s) they moved further away from that silly, juvenile stuff and became at least marginally more serious with time. They're fun, and funny, but calling them comedy rock seems completely wrong given the huge wealth of material they've produced.

No?

> calling them comedy rock seems completely wrong
youtube.com/watch?v=qtTJMTbR6Lg&feature=youtu.be&t=170

Wrong answer.

okay, and they also have songs like this.

youtube.com/watch?v=GxVubAHxpuM

Okay, now refute the rest of my post where I explained why reducing them to "comedy rock" is wrongheaded.

"Marginally more serious" comedy rock is just "marginally more serious comedy rock." Not much of a refutation needed.

reminder

Sup Forums x

/^!/

Okay, refute this then

Or, in fact, just refute the fact that their catalogue has plenty of serious songs.

This is the right answer.

>if you predominantly make music of one type, you are not allowed to make music of another type
^This is the straw man you are attempting to refute.

>posting in this thread a tall

It's not a strawman. You're shamelessly (and stupidly) attempting to reduce Ween to "comedy rock" in an effort to dismiss them and refuse to acknowledge the points being made that directly refute the assertions you've been making regarding their content. You cherrypick quotes from people to respond to and elements of Ween that support your argument while disregarding anything that shatters your preconceptions. In no way is me challenging your inability to reconcile these facts a "straw man" argument.

>It's not a strawman.
You're attempting to attack a point I didn't make and am explicitly telling you that I don't endorse. That's called a straw man, sweetie.

I never attacked a point you didn't make. You outright reduced them to comedy rock and refuse to acknowledge people's posts when they refute this myopic representation of Ween.

Your move.

>I never attacked a point you didn't make.
see Asking me to refute a point which does not attack mine is either a red herring or a thinly-veiled straw man. Pick your poison.

Let's go through posts you've made in this thread concerning Ween's content. Your first post called them comedy rock without acknowledging that they don't just produce comedic material; you said of them that "They make shitty goofball tunes for losers", implying that this is the only material they make, and you've repeatedly asserted without acknowledging the other points people have made in this thread that they're comedy rock without really providing reasoning for this outside of quotes from outside sources. You haven't made anything resembling an argument and you expect people reading your comments to accept that they're comedy rock without even attempting to explain your position.

At no point did I "straw man" you, and you're increasingly convincing me that you don't know what you're talking about.

I'd describe their popularity as "b-list" OP. They weren't multi-platinum pop stars of course but they put out a bunch of records, got air play and people knew There's This One Band Called W___ That Isn't Weezer. I never actually listened to any Ween during the 90s but I spent most of that decade being aware of the latter fact just based on the notable Chocolate and Cheese album cover and going in record stores regularly. If you were paying any kind of attention to rock during the 90s you were at least aware of their existence.

Early the next decade I had a college roommate who was all about the Brown and put me onto them, chronologically. Good guy. I "got" it pretty quick, whereas they leave other people completely cold.

>Your first post called them comedy rock without acknowledging that they don't just produce comedic material
>implying that this is the only material they make
>repeatedly asserted without acknowledging the other points people have made in this thread
This is the point where you realize that you've been arguing with yourself because I've already posted These goofballing jokesters are allowed to make, ahem, "serious" songs if they like; they're still a comedy band.
>At no point did I "straw man" you,
I explicitly told you how you were doing this. Denying it doesn't make it go away.

can you guys fucking stop, this is a retarded fucking argument about nothing and you're all making me upset

Okay, so you clearly don't know what a straw man is, because it's literally when a person invents a position/argument for a person in order to dismantle said argument and therefore dismantle that person's credibility. But I never invented an argument for you and then attack that argument. I requested that you refute a post somebody made that challenged your assertion that Ween are comedy rock, or that they can be reduced to that label in an effort to dismiss them entirely, which is in a way a form of a strawman argument. That's kinda ironic. Because you clearly haven't the faintest idea what a strawman fallacy is.

Using your shitty, one-sided argument, it's just as reasonable to say that they're a serious band who produce, ahem, comedic songs, if they like. The truth is they're dedicated songsters who are very serious about the material they make, even if a lot of it is comedic in nature. That's not the mark of goofballing jokesters. Those types of people don't have work ethic or a commitment towards changing their sound, improving themselves, and producing a wide variety of material.

>Okay, so you clearly don't know what a straw man is, because it's literally when a person invents a position/argument for a person in order to dismantle said argument and therefore dismantle that person's credibility.
Which is what you did by repeatedly attempting to paint my position as "Comedy rock bands are not able to make non-comedy rock" and refute it so that you can claim that calling them comedy rock is incorrect.
>I requested that you refute a post somebody made that challenged your assertion that Ween are comedy rock
Except, you know, I already explained to you how this doesn't challenge my assertion. I even used small words for you.

You've never once established how I invented an argument you didn't make to argue against, so I'm done arguing with you entirely. Clearly you're not worth even the bare amount of effort. You literally just introduced your argument as "they're comedy rock" and then only now did you say that they also produce serious material, only after I repeatedly pointed out the fallacy of your position. This requires a certain amount of intellectual dishonesty and disingenuous that is hard to reconcile with it "just being your opinion man".

>You've never once established how I invented an argument you didn't make to argue against,
Again, pretending it didn't happen will not make it go away. Don't argue fallacies with me, you are out of your depth.

>you are out of your depth
>calls a band that produces a wealth of serious material, and produces even comedic material seriously, "comedy rock", condescendingly repeating the phrase multiple times to dismiss the band, and not being able to handle the idea that a band can make comedic material without being "comedy rock"
Really? This right here is being out of your depth.

Hiro please delete this thread so these autists will fucking stop

From the very top:
>my argument
Ween are a comedy rock band. They started with comedy music, they make predominantly comedic music, they extensively use "comedy" during their live performances and on their albums.
>note: this does not preclude them from making other types of music, as a band can be both a comedy rock band and, say, a krautrock band for example. most genres are not mutually exclusive

Next up we have you. Asking me to "refute" an example of them allegedly making non-comedy music. As this does nothing to challenge my assertion, I can safely ignore it.
Next, you continue to pound away at this point, believing that if you can prove they make non-comedic music, then they must not be a comedy band any more. As I have already explained, this idea is nonsensical.

This is where I call you out for inventing a fake position (if you predominantly make music of one type, you are not allowed to make music of another type) which is either a mislead belief of your own (which you seem to deny) or a belief which you wish with your heart of hearts to be mine. It isn't, as I have made clear again and again. Since I do not hold this position, I have no obligation to "refute" points which attack it, because they are attacking an imaginary straw man premise and not the premise I am operating under.

Next, you shift to claiming that "dedicated songsters" can't make comedy rock, which we know is false because Zappa wouldn't stop cramming comedy into his meticulously composed and scored works. You can be "serious" about making music and still be a comedy band.

You are a brainlet, Crazium, and you always have been. Never forget your place.

cringe post

>bands who use comedy can be easily reduced to "comedy rock"
That's your shitty, one-sided argument in one sentence.

That's called a straw man, sweetie.

if only they just didn't read his trash comments, they wouldn't respond to him

its super easy to ignore this idiot guys

Not when you've literally formed your entire argument around that premise, pumpkin. Thanks for proving you're perpetually difficult for the sake of it and have nothing of value to say, meaning you aren't worth arguing with or considering in any respectable fashion.

I love when I win so completely and irrefutably that the thread devolves into mad hominems and general discussion about me. Really drives the point home for me.

>Not when you've literally formed your entire argument around that premise, pumpkin
You can wish upon a star, that won't change how wrong you are.

trip fags should all just kill themselves lol

>everyone is wrong and mad and I'm so great

rent
fucking
free

ween is good if ur high

I like them sober as well but this is /thread

I'v been trained to hate tripfags but here you are proving my training wrong. How dare you.

FRIENDO is so fucking based

Pwning noobs left and right lol

>friendoposting

samefag

t. friendo without the trip

Swear on me mums life

it's embarassing to see people actually use words like "brainlet" in real conversation where neither are anonymous

transdermal celebration isn't a "weird rock" song lol, it's literally a foo fighters / postgrunge pastiche

t. crazium without the trip

t. friendo without the trip
this entire thread has just been friendo and crazium arguing with each other and taking their trips on and off to circle jerk their own posts.

t. crazium without the trip

Jesus Christ, you guys are obsessed.

Phish covering them was probably the best thing to happen to their career, Phish has a massive fanbase that became obsessed with Ween after they started playing Roses are Free.

>they use comedy in their live shows
Hahahahahahahahahaha
Oh wait youre serious
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

>I wasn't alive in the 90s, so I was wondering just how popular they were.
not very.

I didn't realize that making epic goofy pirate voices didn't count as comedy. Thanks for enlightening me.
(nah)

>hahaha it sounds so funny to me so it's comedy! Bleepy bloody boopity boopity boo! Hee hee hee!!
You are but a child.

THIS THREAD DISPLEASES THE ALMIGHTY BOOGNISH

POST WEEN LYRICS THAT FUCKIN' SLAP

You probably think the residents are comedy rock too. Fucking imbecile.

You're absolutely right, those wacky pirate grunts are secretly just a high-brow reference to Treasure Island. To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Ween. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical listener's head. There's also Gene's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Ween truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Dean's existencial catchphrase "I'M WAVING MY DICK IN THE WIND," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Ween's genius unfolds itself on their record players. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have a Boognish tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

pic

>uses comedy rock as an insult
>uses reddit tier meme as a response to someone calling out his level of intelligence

If your reaction to someone performing in a certain way is to laugh, then you probably don't understand what they are trying to do. Sure there are moments in their music that can be funny, but funny in the same way life can be funny. You just don't understand their music. It's okay. At least you have your internet friends- oh wait no you don't. Everyone ITT pretty much agrees youre a fucking idiot.

This is such a cancerous thread. Tripfag is probably an emo fan who thinks only music about cutting yourself is real music.

>uses comedy rock as an insult
You only see the label "comedy rock" as an insult because you are insecure. As stated, Zappa made plenty of great comedy rock.
>If your reaction to someone performing in a certain way is to laugh, then you probably don't understand what they are trying to do. Sure there are moments in their music that can be funny, but funny in the same way life can be funny. You just don't understand their music. It's okay. At least you have your internet friends- oh wait no you don't. Everyone ITT pretty much agrees youre a fucking idiot.
Didn't read, assume it was an unironic version of

He loves Pink Floyd and surprise, surprise also has shit taste in their albums too.

>didn't read but copy pasted
You're a bad liar.
Also youre obviously using comedy rock in a derogatory context thats why you're still here arguing with everyone ITT

I love you, FRIENDO, even though I disagree with you always. Never stop what you do.

>NO FRIENDO I CAN READ YOUR MIND YOU REALLY MEANT THIS OTHER THING YOU NEVER SAID
This is why nobody likes Ween fans.

Reddit is that way bud

Where ? I assume you have the URL memorized.

Up your ass

Well that can't be right.

Check again. I'm sure it's not hard getting your head up there considering how loose it is.

TRYING TO BE BROWN
YOU'RE TRYING TO GET DOWN

I'm on stage, it's all an act I'm really scared that I may fall back on the abstract

Is this that famous Ween "humor" I'm seeing ?

Tricky dicks got some licks to smoke so prop me up if you please.