youtube.com/watch?v=JxXMqBydynM
rateyourmusic.com/~GospelOfTheWorms
rateyourmusic.com/~whoatemydinner
rateyourmusic.com/~biasedasshole
rateyourmusic.com/~decemberwyatt
rateyourmusic.com/~asadv
rateyourmusic.com/~Montie_Ray
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Don't let it get to you too hard. Everybody rates differently. I don't understand it, but I don't let it make me upset. That's silly

rateyourmusic.com/~Prismadoll

rateyourmusic.com/~sousuo

Yikes.

> Publicly rating music as if anyone cares
all it does is enrage people desu

>all it does is enrage people
That's 50% of the fun.

>those tags
so this is the face of autism
>well acclaimed albums rated as 0.5
edgy

What an insufferable cunt

>disagreeing with large groups of people about music
The least edgy edginess to ever edge.

See ? Fun !

>no space before the period
smfh

You're seriously the first tripfaggot i'm gonna filter now
Congratulations

I just like tagging albums so I can make special numbers memey ratings. 311 was a 4 disc 311 box set, 420 was The Powers That B. I got 666 coming up

I am honored.

Hi, I'm here for the tripfag circle jerk?

>The Wall
>5 stars

But it's so epic

>ABBA Gold

classic but you’re missing out on some of their other great songs

download their 1994 “thank you for the music” compilation for more info

rateyourmusic.com/~schtraw
Wow you're acting like a cunt, but at least you have interesting 4.5s. What didn't you like about stars of the lid?

but there's so much filler and the story line is a bit cringey

Shiggidy wiggidy kill yourself.

On it. :*

I have literally no reaction to it whatsoever. I consider this worse than having a negative reaction, because at least I'm experiencing something.

>I have literally no reaction to it whatsoever.
have you listened to much drone before?

Yes, actually. Although you wouldn't know it from my current RYM because it doesn't have all of my avant-teen classics from 2013.

fair enough.

youtube.com/watch?v=JxXMqBydynM

this song in particular is fantastic. andersson and ulvaeus were probably the best songwriting-production team of the 70s — proof that all the best pop music is/was influenced by phil spector.

cant go fast enough

wah wah

what did you like so much about hyderomast?

He Won't A Young Ploymath

I kinda dropped off RYM recently because I know no one on the site so I have no one to follow and I'm also unable to write a constructive review

rateyourmusic.com/~GospelOfTheWorms

I also have shit taste

~Herbieguy

Sounds like the perfect rating system to me. I’d take that over 60% 0.5 ratings any day.

I Look Like Anti Warhol

~contrapatior

Userbase is garbage filled with either autistic pseuds who listen to garbage or just people with shit taste in general
Just use it to keep track of what you listen to and to search for new albums.

The only logical curve is a bell curve. 1 star is bad, 3 is average, 5 is amazing. If you give 90% things 5 stars or 0.5 you're doing it fucking wrong and are straight up delusional. That is if you actually listen to new music and rate it to keep a database of what you love and don't just rate the things you like and then nothing else.

im pretty sure random sampling doesn't work that way kiddo

>random sampling
Explain.

unsure if I'm wording it correctly but essentially-
if you're actively trying to find music you'll like, your chart will naturally be top-heavy. nobody in the world remembers exactly how they feel about every album they've ever listened to and so that whole "rate every album in relation to each other" thing (which is the only logical way to get a perfect curve) is nonsense the more albums you have rated

unless you think that the quality of albums naturally falls within standard deviations in which case you're just being silly because there's a whole hell of a lot more shitty music than there is good stuff unless you are not discerning whatsoever

You're on a right track, but it probably, with the large enough sample, form a kind of standard distribution, just skewed towards the top part of teh scale (so the centre will be at 3.5 rather than 2.5 for example). So the curve will resemble a bell curve, it will just be kind of cut off at the fives.

depends on how you rate things
I use 2.5 as par and lump everything below par into 0.5 because spending time thinking about to what specific degree I dislike something is a staggering waste of my time
contriving a curve is something i can't get behind, I won't pretend that I'm not picky enough for my curve to be fucked

>muh curve
autism

everything one does in this sad place we call the Earth is actually a staggering waste of time. :(

Speaking of which, here's my RYM.
rateyourmusic.com/~whoatemydinner

I agree with this

rateyourmusic.com/~biasedasshole
I feel like you're just needlessly edgy

>having uncommon musical preferences
The least edgy edginess to ever edge.

Is the thread not dead senpai?
It's a ducking miracle it got more than 5 responses
rateyourmusic.com/~decemberwyatt

it's only beige toilets now so it might as well be dead

Textbook contrarianism.

literally what is the problem with his 0.5s, it’s just a bunch of derivative indie-cindy bulls—
>bowie
>burial
>all things must pass
>souvlaki
>velvets
burn in hell!!!!!!

cringe

>cringe
cringe

it’s okay to be wrong sometimes

>friendo

Cringy Lad Like L "Y" J

rateyourmusic.com/~asadv

My greatest allies: Turkey_Beard, HorseMouth, King_Fahtah, ethacetin, samketchup, deadmellotron, Eskahndor, Akuochi_Hime, SabbathBloodySabbath, FutariSaison, antreas72heep, teninchshrimp, XavierDeLaTrascendencia, BBozeman, spickelope, PlsSenpai, GrindcoreKaraoke (R.I.P.), beecord (R.I.P.), Kojiri (R.I.P.), IronPriest666 (R.I.P.), Lord_Ghoul (R.I.P.)

God damn it I’m starting to like you now that you’re not doing your baiting BS.
I’d say stop it but this is refreshing from you.

>dislikes smashing pumpkins and santana
Based. I always liked you Prismadoll

Contrarian, AKA "Anyone who disagrees with me, ever."

I make posts like that all of the time.

>Beatles
>0.5 stars
Lmao

Yeah, nah. Dude goes out of his way to find albums that people love just to give them 0.5 stars and feel good about himself. He's dishonest about his own taste, because he wants attention for being different, which I guess I'm giving to him.

Not everyone's opinions deserve to be respected, and this dude doesn't even seem to have an opinion.

> Dude goes out of his way to find albums that people love just to give them 0.5 stars
Listen to something people say is good, don't like it, rate and move on. That easy.

Imagine being so self-centered that you interpret someone disliking your sacred cow not as an actual legitimate opinion, but a secret effort to make you upset. Can't even fathom it.

>Yeah, nah. Dude goes out of his way to find albums that people love just to give them 0.5 stars and feel good about himself. He's dishonest about his own taste, because he wants attention for being different,

please show your work and provide evidence for this. i’ll wait.

Mostly just those two albums. I enjoy both artists, those two albums just aren't that great

Kill yourself

...and you guys call ME edgy.

If someone gives acclaimed album 0.5 stars, than what would he give to Brokencyde, Corey Feldman, Apator and Hopsin?

Test

>implying a false dichotomy
don’t do that

ps: brokencyde is fucking hilarious. guarantee you’ve never even heard i’m not a fan and are just a stupid anti-fun RYM sheep

Why did you remove your trip?

i haven’t had a trip in years bro

TheCrystalBird

Woman Like

I did, but I refused to rate it

And Attila, Emmure, Attack Attack and Design the Skyline are way funnier in terms of bad music

that Apator album is genuinely worthwhile and a humorous album, certainly better than most black metal records

HIYA KIDS

rateyourmusic.com/~Montie_Ray

(:

kys

i like to think of every score as individual
like i can put threes on two albums but that doesn't necessarily mean i like them equally or that they are equally good
the rating system is just a way of expressing an emotion in a basic way to me

shut the fuck up serialjune and don't come back

>unless you think that the quality of albums naturally falls within standard deviations in which case you're just being silly because there's a whole hell of a lot more shitty music than there is good stuff unless you are not discerning whatsoever
There's an equal amount of good music than it is bad. Most music is average. Maybe my chart evens out at the top and the bottom because I don't listen to pop garbage 100% of the time.

>if you're actively trying to find music you'll like, your chart will naturally be top-heavy
Yeah, nah. I don't know what music I'll like because I listen to a lot of different shit.

Throw me abuse or album recs or whatever
~Woxi

Both 2.5 and 3 are average if you want a perfect normal distribution tho
Yes the point is that your chart should be so that 2.5/3 is the average album you hear (so is a decent score). Rating every album in comparison to other albums is exactly what you do on rym

This is true to a massive degree and what I do. Most of my scores fall in the 3 range with it tapering off at the top. I have a decent amount of 0.5's because of an unadulterated hate for music popular when I was in middle school though, but thats mostly singles.

This is OK but I still agree with what boi above said

contrarian or not you have shit taste and your rating curve is retarded.

>There's an equal amount of good music than it is bad.
(not true, by the way)
>I don't know what music I'll like
maybe you should, like, work on that. helps a lot to know the signs that you might like something. I listen to a lot of different stuff as well but I don't flail around randomly with no clue as to what I enjoy.

I will never understand spending time pondering _how much_ I dislike something. I'm obviously not coming back to it. It serves me no purpose. Maybe other people like to revisit stuff they put as 2.0 and below.

Show me on the 0.5 where the bad man panned your sacred cow
>your rating curve is retarded.
It makes perfect sense to me.
0.5 = everything I don't give a shit about / dislike
2.5 = competent and I might revisit for some tracks
3.0 = good, consistent. will re listen
3.5 = great, will re listen often
4.0 = fantastic, have probably listened to death
4.5 = favorites, listen occasionally but with great relish
5.0 = the best album I have a rating for

>rating everything you don't like 0.5
>fucking good morning good night at 4.5
>le "give abba a high rating but don't give any other mainstream pop a high rating so i can say i listen to pop AND experimental music but i don't want to waste my time listening to it" trick that you got from qwerty
yikes

must be hard to live with yourself user, huh?

>le "give abba a high rating but don't give any other mainstream pop a high rating so i can say i listen to pop AND experimental music

yea just go ahead and ignore the beach boys as his one and only 5.0
go be dishonest elsewhere

Yo hop in VC sometime in Discord. We should talk and shit.

Pondering like and dislike as I have grown older and out of my pitchfork worship stage has been sort of hard. To be honest the only reason I have the point system I have now is for charts and AOTY. I can tell if something is a low 7 or a high 7 easily though.

>rym thread
>70% of posts are responding to some tripfag who's b8ing for (you's) for being an obvious contrarian
I thought you were better than that Sup Forums

The systems you guys are using don't make sense to me. A 5/5 is aesthetically perfect: something in which you do not think any part of the work isn't possible to be improved on or doesn't sound like the greatest thing you've ever heard. And, I don't know, I don't see how you could ever find that if you're any good at critical thought.

when i say "mainstream pop" i'm referring to mainstream pop music that you aren't told to like by critics
giving the beach boys or the beatles a 5 is different than giving abba a 5

>fucking good morning good night at 4.5
It's sublime. I know you're trying to be a cynic, but some of us actually enjoy both improvised music and pop; it's called knowing what you like. Regardless, I've written essays on both topics.
>>le "give abba a high rating
If you don't like ABBA you don't have a soul, period. GOLD is one of the best pop compilations of all time, if not the best.
> don't give any other mainstream pop a high rating
>Beach Boys, Beatles, Kate Bush, Justin Timberlake, Avril Lavigne
Oh dear.

VC?
> the only reason I have the point system I have now is for charts and AOTY. I can tell if something is a low 7 or a high 7 easily though.
Yeah, that's understandable. I don't really keep up with current releases at all so I've found that cutting out inefficiency is more useful to me.

> A 5/5 is aesthetically perfect
for you
I realized pretty quickly that I'd rather have practical efficiency in accomplishing my music sorting goals than philosophical purity in a rating system that I'm appropriating.

>that you aren't told to like by critics
I never knew goalposts could shift that quickly.

yeah just go ahead and ignore the fact that abba are one of the biggest critical AND commercial successes especially in european countries
just go ahead and ignore the fact that their eurovision performance of waterloo stopped and stunned the world, and critics alike
go ahead and ignore the fact that dancing queen regularly tops lists regarding the best songs of the 70s and was a #1 hit in 13 countries when it was released
go ahead and ignore the fact that the mamma mia film grossed over 600 million fucking dollars worldwide

i repeat: go be dishonest elsewhere

YOU CAN DANCE

>if not the best
>not Back to Mono

Funny you should mention, I'm listening to it now~

Qwerty you can stop posting anytime.

>but some of us actually enjoy both improvised music and pop; it's called knowing what you like
and this is coming from someone who barely listens to anything experimental
you can at least acknowledge that you've only just started in that, Reich is entry level

why is him not liking popular albums "contrarian"?
go back to elementary school

You’re my favorite tripfag, FRIENDO, even if you’re a contrarian faggot

hell yea
hi montie
how do you feel about the right-wing populist election victory in italy
this is a bad mentality to have
music is not a video game

edgy faggot

why do you post anonymously if you're going to post your cat with every post you make just use a trip good lord